Thread: Brandy Odom (26) was strangled, dismembered and dumped in a Brooklyn park in an alleged insurance scam

Brandy Odom (26) was strangled, dismembered and dumped in a Brooklyn park in an alleged insurance scam

http://abcnews.go.com/US/motive-soug...ry?id=54388477

New York City authorities are working to determine how a 26-year-old woman?s dismembered body turned up in a Brooklyn park this week, according to a police source.

Brandy Odom?s torso was found in Canarsie Park Monday night, the source said, while her arms and legs were found Tuesday.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3927524

A manhunt continued Wednesday for the savage killer of Brandy Odom, 26, whose remains were identified only after her sister spied the tell-tale tattoo ? ?chocolate? ? inked on the victim?s left breast.
    Cops believe the killing took place outside Canarsie Park, and Brandy?s dismembered remains were left there only a short time before the body parts were discovered strewn across its 132 acres.
    The victim?s naked torso and head were discovered Monday evening by a dog walker in the sprawling park, with her severed arms, legs and other body parts wrapped in plastic bags and left elsewhere.

Detectives trying to retrace her activities in the hours before she was carved up reviewed surveillance video from around the park in hopes of spotting a suspect.
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/brandy.odom.71

Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-17-2022 at 02:50 PM.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Detectives trying to retrace her activities in the hours before she was carved up
    What a tactful 'journalist'.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    What a tactful 'journalist'.
    Yeah that was pretty horrible

https://www.facebook.com/brandy.odom.71

Woman's Dismembered Remains Were Found in Park — and Suspects Allegedly Killed Her in Insurance Scam

https://people.com/crime/womans-dism...ark-insurance/

Two arrests have been made in the grisly death of Brandy Odom, 26, whose head, torso and limbs were found in a Brooklyn park in 2018

Two arrests have been made in the grisly death of a woman whose head, torso and limbs were found in a Brooklyn park in 2018 in one of New York City's most notorious unsolved murders.

Federal prosecutors in the U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of New York allege that Cory Martin, 33, conspired with Adelle Anderson, 32, to kill and dismember Brandy Odom, 26, and then fraudulently collect on $200,000 worth of life insurance policies they’d set up in her name, the Affidavit and Complaint in Support of Application for Arrest Warrants states.

On Wednesday, FBI agents arrested Martin and Anderson in Trenton, New Jersey. They are charged with wire fraud and aggravated identity theft in connection to Odom’s death, federal authorities said.

They face up to 22 years in prison if convicted.

From March 2017 through August 2018, the pair plotted to collect money from fraudulent life insurance policies started in Odom’s name after her death, paying the premiums, the affidavit and complaint states.

Odom lived with the couple, it says.

Martin allegedly killed Odom by strangling her and then cutting her body up with a saw before scattering her remains in a Canarsie park, prosecutors allege in the document.

Odom died of homicidal asphyxia. After her death, her arms were severed at the elbows, the document states. Both legs were severed at the hips.

A woman walking her dog in a Canarsie Park on April 9, 2018, came upon Odom's torso.

“As I went in the path and looked to the left, I saw something resembling a garbage bag,” Smith said. “But as I went by and looked back and looked again, I realized it was a body that was dismembered and then I just took off running.”

When Anderson allegedly tried to claim benefits after Odom’s death, she told one of the insurance companies representatives that Odom had died by suicide, the document states.

One representative told Anderson she would need to provide a certified death certificate, a physician’s statement, and a coroner’s report to process the claim.

Another insurance company representative told Anderson she needed the name of the funeral home used for Odom’s funeral.

Anderson, who told this representative Odom had died of homicide, said “I, um, didn’t have anything to do with the funeral for her. I am not sure.”

In December 2017, Martin and Anderson allegedly exchanged text messages about the life insurance policies, the document shows.

“Insurance place closed today,” Anderson allegedly texted Martin. “And that policy is no longer gone be active if j don’t try n do something with that bitch this week.”

During an interview with investigators on Oct. 29, 2020, Anderson allegedly said she saw Martin choke Odom to death and then dismember her body, Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York Tanya Hajjar, wrote in a Nov. 4, 2020, letter to the U.S. Magistrate Judge in the United States District Court in Brooklyn about remanding Martin and seeking substantial bail for Anderson.

“The murder of Brandy Odom and the subsequent dismemberment and disposal of her body reflects Martin’s utter disregard for human life," Hajjar wrote. "The crime was premeditated, gruesome, and motivated by greed.”

Martin is being held without bail.

Anderson was released on a $200,000 bond with restrictions.

Attorneys for Martin and Anderson did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s requests for comment.

Odom, who was from New York City, had worked as a security guard and wanted to become a city school safety agent, her mother told The New York Times.

“Everybody loved her,” Nicole told WABC in April 2018. “I can’t even see how one person would want to do this to her. Brandy was friendly with everybody.”

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2020...insurance_scam
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-07-2020 at 07:00 AM.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cory-ma...l-prosecutors/

A New York man was convicted Monday for killing and dismembering a woman after fraudulently taking out a life insurance policy in her name - then trying to collect the benefits, federal prosecutors said Monday.

Cory Martin watched crime shows including "Dexter" and "The First 48" for tips on how to get away with killing the woman, a sex worker who he managed, a co-conspirator testified during the two-week Brooklyn federal court trial.
    Breon Peace, the U.S. attorney in Brooklyn, said the mandatory life sentence that comes with the top charge of murder-for-hire is fitting for a "ghastly, cold-blooded crime" that had been carefully planned and motivated by greed.

"Martin saw the victim as a moneymaker, trafficking her for commercial sex, then after killing her with his bare hands, tossing out her slaughtered body parts like trash so he could profit from her death," Peace said in a statement.
    Prosecutors say Martin and Anderson fraudulently obtained two life insurance policies in Odom's name the year before Martin strangled Odom in her bedroom in April 2018.

Anderson, who has pleaded guilty to charges related to the life insurance scheme and murder plot, testified in Martin's trial that the two watched the true-crime show "The First 48" before Odom's death for ways to avoid being caught. She also said Martin watched "Dexter," a Showtime series about a fictional serial killer, according to Peace's office.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    People are scary evil.

He obviously didn't watch the right shows.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Cory Martin watched crime shows including "Dexter" and "The First 48" for tips on how to get away with killing the woman, a sex worker who he managed, a co-conspirator testified during the two-week Brooklyn federal court trial.
    Clearly he should have taken better notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Thread Information