Thread: Collapse of pedestrian bridge connecting the campus of Florida International University (FIU) with the city of Sweetwater

Collapse of pedestrian bridge connecting the campus of Florida International University (FIU) with the city of Sweetwater

Instant bridge? Not quite, but in a single morning Florida International University dropped a new elevated pedestrian span into place over the Tamiami Trail to provide students a safe route over the perilous roadway for the first time.

Once it?s finished in early 2019, the new pedestrian bridge will link FIU?s Modesto A. Maidique Campus directly to the small suburban city of Sweetwater, where the university estimates 4,000 of its students live.

The rapid span installation was the result of months of preparation. The bridge?s main 174-foot span was assembled by the side of the Trail while support towers were built at either end.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy

A newly installed pedestrian bridge connecting the campus of Florida International University (FIU) with the city of Sweetwater west of Miami collapsed on Thursday, crushing several cars on the roadway below. Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Alejandro Camacho tells CBS News there are "several fatalities" resulting from the collapse. He said the bridge was still under construction and not open to pedestrians.

Aerial footage from CBS Miami shows vehicles stuck underneath the 174-foot, 950-ton bridge. First responders were seen placing one victim in an ambulance. At least three patients were transported to the hospital, according to Miami-Dade Fire Rescue.

"Me and my boyfriend had just driven under the bridge," witness Isabella Carrasco told CBSN. "We actually commented on how new it was ... We had heard a loud bang. At first, we thought we had hit something, and when we looked around, we realized the bridge had collapsed on multiple cars. I didn't see any pedestrians walking on the bridge. When we looked around we saw that it was much, much worse."
    Last edited by puzzld; 03-15-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

A pedestrian bridge under construction collapsed Thursday, just days after crews dropped an elevated 950-ton span in place in a project that was intended to give Florida International University students a safe route across the busy roadway.

The bridge crashed across six lanes of heavily traveled Tamiami Trail, crushing a still undetermined number of car and killing a still unclear number of people. Police on the scene said at least six people could be dead. The Florida Highway Patrol reported five or six cars were trapped under the bridge. Miami-Dade County police said at least eight cars had been crushed under the walkway, which was not yet open to student traffic.

At least eight people had been transported to the trauma center at Kendall Regional Medical Center, according to a source close to the hospital. The condition of the patients is not yet known.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

https://www.facebook.com/WeAreMCM/

Our family’s thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by this terrible tragedy. The new UniversityCity Bridge, which was under construction, experienced a catastrophic collapse causing injuries and loss of life. MCM is a family business and we are all devastated and doing everything we can to assist. We will conduct a full investigation to determine exactly what went wrong and will cooperate with investigators on scene in every way.

https://www.facebook.com/floridainte...5690577107585/

https://www.facebook.com/floridainte...i07Nrs&fref=nf
    Last edited by puzzld; 03-15-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Just the other day they were on their Twitter account touting how wonderful and safe and amazing it was.

Yay. Winning.

I have a friend in school there. He says it's madness right now.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Fuuck. There's so many cars under there. I hoped there'd be hardly any but it looks packed :(

I don't get FOX news here, but I'm seeing tweets from people saying they're reporting there was stress testing being performed by engineers when it collapsed. I hope it's bullshit

Edit : Probably not bullshit, they sound like the kind of companies who'd fail to minimise risk to the public before testing

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/fi...tices-10176596

Construction Firms Behind Collapsed FIU Bridge Faced Accusations of Unsafe Practices
    TIM ELFRINK, BRITTANY SHAMMAS | MARCH 15, 2018 | 3:32PM

Two of the biggest firms that built the Florida International University pedestrian bridge that collapsed today have recently been accused of unsafe practices. In one of those cases, another bridge project toppled onto workers.

Police and fire-rescue personnel are still on the scene at FIU, where multiple people died in the rubble of the 950-ton bridge, which crumbled onto SW Eighth Street traffic. Investigators will likely spend weeks sorting out what went wrong on the project, which was described by the school as a state-of-the-art bridge made with new, high-tech materials.
    Last edited by blighted star; 03-15-2018 at 01:26 PM.

The Miami-Dade County fire chief said four people were found dead at the site of a pedestrian bridge collapse and that nine had been taken to area hospitals.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ntent=20180315

https://www.local10.com/news/florida...pse-death-toll

Update 6 people are reported dead at the bridge.

https://patch.com/florida/palmettoba...ety-violations

Update 5 companies pay fines for collapse.

MIAMI, FL — The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has issued fines totaling $86,658 to five contractors who worked on the failed Florida International University pedestrian bridge, the agency announced Tuesday. One employee died and and five other employees suffered serious injuries when a pedestrian bridge at the FIU campus in Miami collapsed earlier this year. The five companies collectively received seven safety violations.

"OSHA's investigation determined that the companies failed to protect workers when indications of a potential bridge collapse were evident," agency officials said in announcing the fines. "Violations included exposing employees to crushing and fall hazards; and allowing multiple employees to connect to an improperly installed lifeline."

Subscribe to Palmetto Bay Patch's free email news alerts and newsletters

Photographs released by the National Transportation Safety Board in August showed large cracks that had been documented in the pedestrian bridge days before the massive structure came crashing down. The 174-foot-long main span killed six people, including a bridge worker when it collapsed on March 15. Eight others were injured in the tragedy.

In its investigative update, the NTSB said that the series of photographs were taken after the main 950-ton main span of the bridge was lifted from its temporary supports, rotated 90 degrees across an eight-lane road and lowered into its permanent position in a matter of hours over busy SW 8th Street.

OSHA cited Figg Bridge Engineers Inc., a civil and structural engineering company; Network Engineering Services Inc. (doing business as Bolton Perez & Assoc.), a construction engineering and inspection firm; Structural Technologies LLC (doing business as Structural Technologies/VSL), specializing in post-tensioning in bridges and buildings; Munilla Construction Management LLC, a bridge and building construction company; and The Structural Group of South Florida Inc., a contractor specializing in concrete formwork.

"Collectively, these employers failed to take appropriate action and provide the necessary protections to their employees while they were working on the bridge on the day it collapsed," said OSHA Regional Administrator Kurt A. Petermeyer.

Read the citations for Figg Bridge Engineers Inc., Network Engineering Services Inc., Structural Technologies LLC, Munilla Construction Management LLC, and The Structural Group of South Florida Inc.

Each company has 15 business days from receipt of the citations and proposed penalties to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA's area director, or contest the findings before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission, according to agency officials.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I just have to say that I love the YouTube channel you've found. In sure that you're in a rabbit hole with it and it's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I just have to say that I love the YouTube channel you've found. In sure that you're in a rabbit hole with it and it's awesome.
    Lol. Yes. I've been wallowing in death, mayhem, and disaster. There's a lot that are too old for us to have articles about too. May have to start an ancient disasters thread.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Lol. Yes. I've been wallowing in death, mayhem, and disaster. There's a lot that are too old for us to have articles about too. May have to start an ancient disasters thread.
    That would be EPIC. I love falling down disaster YouTube rabbit holes. I do the same thing from time to time when it strikes me.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I love the idea of an ancient disasters thread.

Thread Information