Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brian Halye (36) and his wife Courtney (34) overdosed and their bodies were discovered by their children

Brian Halye (36) and his wife Courtney (34) overdosed and their bodies were discovered by their children

Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-17-2022 at 12:58 PM.

Last edited by Olivia; 03-20-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    The airlines said anyone who tests positive for drugs is immediately fired.
    Awesome policy! So much better than being them help or something silly.

Those kids are fucked. Fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Oh damn. I was hoping at least older teen kids but the son looks the oldest & is only 13

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

Right? I don't get companies that don't at least offer some type of help.
    My husband's job- if a person fails a drug test, they're suspended and offered a free rehab program. If they complete the program, they go back to work. BUT they are given randoms throughout the next year. If they fail any random after the rehab, they're fired.

I think this is a good reminder to people that drugs are taking over all walks of life.

Those poor kids.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    ...noting that her daughter should not be characterized as an "addict" or "low-life."
    This comment bothers me. I know her mother is just trying to ensure everyone knows her daughter was not "the type" to do heroin, but still.

Pretty much all airlines have a program where if you come to them and admit you are addicted they will get you help and you aren't fired. They are actually very good about helping their pilots with alcohol and substance abuse issues, as long as you don't fly like that.

They fire when they test positive because they test you when you are about to fly an airplane. If you test positive for alcohol or drugs, you were essentially going to fly impaired. No one wants that. They don't call you in for a drug test on your day off. It is immediately before a flight, with no advance notice, or after an accident or incident.

If they show up for a flight like that, forget about the drugs, they should be fired for not giving a shit about the lives of the hundreds of people they are entrusted to care for as their passengers. No different than the idiot girl that tweeted "too drunk to care" and had the wreck, IMO.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 03-18-2017 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Pretty much all airlines have a program where if you come to them and admit you are addicted they will get you help and you aren't fired. They are actually very good about helping their pilots with alcohol and substance abuse issues, as long as you don't fly like that.

They fire when they test positive because they test you when you are about to fly an airplane. If you test positive for alcohol or drugs, you were essentially going to fly impaired. No one wants that. They don't call you in for a drug test on your day off. It is immediately before a flight, with no advance notice, or after an accident or incident.

If they show up for a flight like that, forget about the drugs, they should be fired for not giving a shit about the lives of the hundreds of people they are entrusted to care for as their passengers. No different than the idiot girl that tweeted "too drunk to care" and had the wreck, IMO.
    I'm calling shenenigans. Just cause someone fails a drug test, doesn't mean they're currently high. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

I'm calling shenenigans. Just cause someone fails a drug test, doesn't mean they're currently high. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.
    I agree, and I'm sympathetic towards addicts, but in this particular case, it doesn't matter if you are actually high or not, the airlines can't take that risk. Say they go ahead and let you fly a plane, and you crash. Hundreds of innocent people are dead, and I'm sure there will be several lawsuits.

The airline has a duty to protect the passangers and crew on board.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

And I'm calling shenanigans on you...look at all the hysteria over anything to do with pilots and planes. People are fucking terrified of flying and flip their lid over the smallest thing. Remember how when the Germanwings pilot crashed the plane the flying public wanted all kinds of constant medical and mental testing of pilots, and were scared shitless over the idea of pilots even having depression? People do not want their pilots to be making life and death decisions with anything they even remotely dream up may be wrong with them, let alone any kind of drugs in their system...even if they are not high. Pilots lose their jobs over taking anti-depressants...I think heroin is a whole different story.

Hell, pilots can't even take blood pressure medicine without months of proving to the FAA that they are ok and have no side effects on the pilot. It's not like when you are on the ground and have a ton of options if things go wrong. I think the FAA overreacts, but after seeing fires on board plane, emergency landings, etc, I kind of get that pilots need to be performing at 100% and not even remotely have a chance of being impaired in any way.

Any while they might not be currently high, they might actually be. The one pilot I know that got busted for drugs did coke right before going on a flight. He admitted to it. He thought the chance of getting drug tested that day was nil. It wasn't. They caught him. He will never work in aviation again. Stupid.

And again, if you have a problem and want help the airlines are more than willing to help pilots get help without risking their job. You have the flying public relying on you though, and if you risk failing a drug test, you have to deal with it if you get caught. It's not like they don't offer all kinds of help options, and it's not like you didn't know what was expected of you when you went into that career.

Nevermind the job, I have huge issues with them doing it in the house with 4 kids too. I'm the "kid hater" and I think this is inexcusable. These kids will never fully get over finding their parents like this.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 03-18-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Also, if you are in the period of testing positive for certain drugs but aren't high, that is potentially worse. Withdrawal ain't no joke, friends, and some of the harder drugs only show up in your system for a few days (or so I've heard), which is prime withdrawal times. I mean, I've had times where I got too drunk the night before and had a hard time focusing on anything for at least the entire next day.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

OK, my mind has been changed.

I don't agree with pilots flying after a failed drug test, but I don't think they should be fired on the spot. Those rapid tests aren't always accurate.

I don't think these two people were low-lifes or scum. Addiction can happen to anyone.

RBW you are not a kid hater

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I don't agree with pilots flying after a failed drug test, but I don't think they should be fired on the spot. Those rapid tests aren't always accurate.

I don't think these two people were low-lifes or scum. Addiction can happen to anyone.

I am not a kid hater, but I have been accused by some of being one. In all actuality I have a lot of concern for kids, and that is one of the reasons (one of many) I don't have kids...I don't want to pass on my crappy genes.

I can't vouch for all airlines, but at my husband's they don't tell you anything and you just show up for a trip. Then you are quietly pulled off the trip and another pilot put on it. They send you to a nearby medical facility and do a rapid test. If it comes back positive they draw blood for a second test. I would assume that's more accurate, but I am not an expert on any of the tests. In the almost 15 years, I can only recall the one pilot getting fired.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 03-18-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I am not a kid hater, but I have been accused by some of being one. In all actuality I have a lot of concern for kids, and that is one of the reasons (one of many) I don't have kids...I don't want to pass on my crappy genes.

I can't vouch for all airlines, but at my husband's they don't tell you anything and you just show up for a trip. Then you are quietly pulled off the trip and another pilot put on it. They send you to a nearby medical facility and do a rapid test. If it comes back positive they draw blood for a second test. I would assume that's more accurate, but I am not an expert on any of the tests. In the almost 15 years, I can only recall the one pilot getting fired.
    No judgement here.

Yeah I think the blood tests are more accurate.

I didn't know airlines don't want you fly with bp medication in your system. My concern would be that someone wouldn't take them, even though they needed them, and would stroke out. I'm assuming they don't do a physical before every flight?

What is the answer to getting more help for people battling addiction? I think a supportive employer, one that offers recovery programming and helps the person to keep their employment, could be a start.

In this case - wow. Heroin isn't usually a party drug. The physical dependence occurs quickly. I'm interested in how long these two were actively using.

My heart goes out to these children.

Sadly, I think the mother felt like she needed to let the public know they weren't lowlifes because of FC comments like this: A stranger posted this on Courtney's wall. Using her logic, treatment should not exist, people should just not use drugs to begin with. I hate when people have such passionate "beliefs" without offering any ways to actually help people. ergh.

Melissa Spiegel Truitt: It's ONLY a disease when YOU make the choice to misuse or try something that you know leads to addiction/death. We have ALL been taught that nothing good comes from drugs. The disease is a choice. You don't choose to get cancer and any other medical disease- you choose the disease of addiction when you choose drugs. You can agree or not, but this society that we live in today is way too enabling and entitling. There are ALWAYS friends and family around to make the right decisions and instead choose to turn their heads. These children did not deserve to find their parents this way and chances are someone could have prevented this because THEY knew they were using.

The reason for this is that due to the hours and schedules of most pilots, drug and alcohol abuse is common, and a staggering, scary statistic about how many pilots fly shit faced drunk has made the crackdown necessary.

On another note re: someone should have known blah blah, heroin is a really easy drug to hide if people in your life aren't familiar with it or haven't been down this road before with you. Contrary to belief, heroin addicts/users aren't all Trainspotting-level messes with needle marks nodding out and stealing from people. Lots of very wealthy, successful people 'maintain' or cover up heroin abuse.

The reason for this is that due to the hours and schedules of most pilots, drug and alcohol abuse is common, and a staggering, scary statistic about how many pilots fly shit faced drunk has made the crackdown necessary.

On another note re: someone should have known blah blah, heroin is a really easy drug to hide if people in your life aren't familiar with it or haven't been down this road before with you. Contrary to belief, heroin addicts/users aren't all Trainspotting-level messes with needle marks nodding out and stealing from people. Lots of very wealthy, successful people 'maintain' or cover up heroin abuse.
    This.

So true and I wish more people knew this fact.

Totally agree. Known addicts with titles & really posh. Known addicts who hold down good jobs. People you would never think we're addicts.

No judgement here.

Yeah I think the blood tests are more accurate.

I didn't know airlines don't want you fly with bp medication in your system. My concern would be that someone wouldn't take them, even though they needed them, and would stroke out. I'm assuming they don't do a physical before every flight?
    They have to go to an FAA medical examiner and get an exam twice a year. They do an ekg, check blood sugar, blood sugar, vision and a few other things. It's not the airlines, it's the FAA that has all the restrictions on medications. They have to approve them and study their effects on flight for a freaking long time before they even think of approving them. Certain blood pressure meds are ok, but you can't fly for a certain amount of time when you start them, and you have to be monitored after starting the meds.

With all the people checking up on pilots to see if they have been drinking (TSA, other pilot in cockpit and potentially on the jumpseat, FA's, passengers, and random tests), I don't think a staggering amount of pilots are flying shit faced. There are almost 90,000 flights per day in the US and maybe a couple of times a year you hear about some pilot getting caught with a blood alcohol over the limit (which is about half of what it is to drive a car). A lot of pilots do manage their stress that way, but when they have a potential 300k+ a year job, most don't risk doing it and going to work. Sure, it happens, but it's not as common as people like to think.

Wow! That extra bit about Courtney is pretty eye opening. It's probably why her mother had been so insistent about her daughter not being a drug addict/low life because she knew she was actually having a some drug issues that were going to come out...

It sounds like Courtney had some mental health and medical issues along with addiction.

Type 1 diabetes is the kind you are born with, correct? I always think of that type as worse than the other.

It sounds like Courtney had some mental health and medical issues along with addiction.

Type 1 diabetes is the kind you are born with, correct? I always think of that type as worse than the other.
    Yes, you're usually born with it. But there are some people later in life who get diagnosed with it. I didn't know that either until my husband was diagnosed and I did research of diabetes. There are whole separate subsections of diabetes classification.

Both are equally dangerous. 1 is usually considered worse just because it's kids. It's hard to manage/control kids.

Courtney's first husband (father of her two kids) overdosed in 2007

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.da...KVU1O/amp.html

Ang, I got your rep:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information