Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Shooting at South Florida high school

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy1217 View Post
    You don't have any Casey Anthony pen pals?
    I need to get on that, thanks. They can't be like Casey though, cause her sexy ass is free.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Curious?

What about this school shooting is different from all the school shootings before it?!
    Why do companies now care about dropping support for the NRA?
    Why are kids now staging walkouts?
    Why are gun laws changing?
    If I were a parent of a victim of Virginia Tech or Columbine, I'd be pissed that this type of support wasn't shown to my child.
    Quote Originally Posted by daisylane View Post
    Yo mama such a ho, that Foursquare has made her vag a place to "check in".

My personal opinion is that its a combination of three things:

1. The socioeconomic status of many at this school is high, which leads to having more youth with privilege (parents who support activism, education, prep for college, etc);

2. The number of shootings just keeps increasing, and these kids are the age where this has happened their entire lives, and the older ones (juniors/seniors) are finally old enough to do something about it now they've actually had it happen to them;

3. This group of kids has spent their teen lives immersed in social media, and so they naturally turned to that platform to communicate their feelings. Kids in earlier shootings did not have such a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkasaurus View Post
    My personal opinion is that its a combination of three things:

1. The socioeconomic status of many at this school is high, which leads to having more youth with privilege (parents who support activism, education, prep for college, etc);

2. The number of shootings just keeps increasing, and these kids are the age where this has happened their entire lives, and the older ones (juniors/seniors) are finally old enough to do something about it now they've actually had it happen to them;

3. This group of kids has spent their teen lives immersed in social media, and so they naturally turned to that platform to communicate their feelings. Kids in earlier shootings did not have such a tool.
    I agree with all of that. Mostly #3. These kids don't know life without social media, and will kick ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuga View Post
    I agree with all of that. Mostly #3. These kids don't know life without social media, and will kick ass.
    Facebook was around when Virginia Tech happened.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Facebook was around when Virginia Tech happened.
    These kids have always had social media. Also, they were born AFTER Columbine, so they have also always had school shootings. I believe this is why they are making a difference where others haven't.

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    My husband and his brother were both in the building next to Cho?s massacre at VT that day. I crouched on the floor with my newborn bc a loudspeaker kept going off saying to stay away from doors and windows and my townhouse was minutes from campus. Terrifying day.

Sorry, back to Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Quote Originally Posted by SuchAClassicGirl View Post
    My husband and his brother were both in the building next to Cho?s massacre at VT that day. I crouched on the floor with my newborn bc a loudspeaker kept going off saying to stay away from doors and windows and my townhouse was minutes from campus. Terrifying day.

Sorry, back to Florida.
    How horrifying. I'm so sorry.

I'm proud of the kids protesting today. I came upon one of the marches and honked my horn over and over and they kept cheering. Amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-plead-n856706

Accused Parkland shooter arraigned, defense says he’s willing to plead guilty

Accused school shooter Nikolas Cruz was formally arraigned on Wednesday, and his attorneys again offered to plead guilty in order to avoid the death penalty.
    "At any time Mr. Cruz is willing to enter a plea of guilty on all 34 counts, consecutive life sentences, in exchange for the waiver of the death penalty," public defender Melisa McNeill, said Wednesday at an arraignment at a Broward County courthouse.

Prosecutors have said they intend to seek the death penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    He left an apology note? Ok he's crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    that's what makes him crazy? I thought it was the chips.

Quote Originally Posted by SuchAClassicGirl View Post

Sorry, back to Florida.
    I went to college with a guy who played high school baseball with one of the victim's twin (VT).

A middle school right by my house was put on lockdown after reports of gunshots. It legit happened a minute after the scheduled walk out. Makes me think someone didn't want that to happen....so let's shoot off a gun. Makes total sense.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/do...id=mailsignout

A Broward Sheriff's deputy assigned to protect the very building on the Parkland campus of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School where 17 people were shot and killed last month was suspended Tuesday for taking a nap in his patrol car.

The Broward Sheriff's Office said Moises Carotti has been suspended with pay at least until an internal affairs investigation was completed. BSO said at just after 5 p.m. Monday a student notified another officer on campus that Carotti was sleeping in his car.

"The sergeant responded to the marked patrol vehicle, which was parked on the Northwest corner of the 1200 building," BSO wrote in a press release Tuesday. "He knocked on the window to get Carotti's attention, who appeared to be sleeping."

BSO said after the commander in charge of the Parkland unit was notified, another officer was sent to replace Carotti. He had been patrolling the north perimeter of the 1200 building - the same building where 32 people were shot during a rampage last month.

Carotti was ordered to turn in his badge, turn over his vehicle and inform internal affairs of his whereabouts twice a day.

I feel like I must be missing something here? I assume this was his school too. He's 17, both his parents are dead, his brother has just committed an horrific mass shooting & this kid also has to deal with the fact that his closest surviving blood relative is a white supremacist.

Is it really surprising the kid feels drawn to the school campus for moments of reflection?

I get that him turning up like that will be frightening & upsetting for many, but surely there's a better way of dealing with it? He copped a $500,000 bond for riding his skateboard & trespassing on school grounds ffs & he's not going to get the help he needs in custody

I hope someone steps in & helps this kid. jfc he must feel so alone in the world.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...319-story.html

The system that failed to protect the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School from mass shooter Nikolas Cruz cannot afford to make the same mistake with his brother, a Broward prosecutor argued Tuesday.

Zachary Cruz, 18, poses the same threat as his older brother and his decision to trespass onto the Stoneman Douglas campus after school Monday is a warning sign that cannot be ignored, Assistant State Attorney Sarahnell Murphy said in court.

Weeks after his brother "murdered, injured and terrorized" the school, Zachary Cruz showed up on campus "with no legitimate purpose," Murphy said. "He has all the same flags present as his brother."

A judge set bond at $500,000 for Cruz and ordered a host of pretrial conditions more often seen in felony cases than misdemeanors. And before Cruz is released from jail, police are to search his caretaker's home in Lantana and remove all firearms.

Later Tuesday, the Broward Sheriff's Office filed a petition for a "temporary risk protection order" under the state's new gun law, identifying Zachary Cruz as someone who "poses a significant danger of causing personal injury to himself or others by having a firearm."

If granted, the order would give the Sheriff?s Office the legal authority to seize guns found in Cruz's home and prevent him from purchasing or possessing a firearm for one year.

In the meantime, authorities involuntarily hospitalized Zachary Cruz for a mental-health evaluation under the state's Baker Act, according to a sheriff's news release.

Deputies said one reason they are concerned with Zachary Cruz, according to the petition, is that they asked him his plans for the future and he responded, "I don't know right now."

His brother Nikolas Cruz is charged with 17 counts of murder and 17 counts of attempted murder in the Feb. 14 mass shooting at the Parkland high school.

Zachary Cruz admitted to police Monday that he rode his skateboard onto the campus, ignoring orders to stay away from the school, to reflect on what his brother had done, according to an arrest report.

Murphy said Cruz's late afternoon visit left the Stoneman Douglas community in fear, with some parents refusing to let their teenage children go back to the school on Tuesday. "They have again been terrorized," she said.

Zachary Cruz, 18, was booked into the Broward Main Jail Monday, the same jail where his older brother is locked up. (Broward Sheriff's Office / courtesy)

At least one student at the school Tuesday said he thought the bail amount was excessive.

"I'm not worried about the Cruz family, " said Chris Donnelly, 17, a junior.

Others said it's frightening that Zachary Cruz admitted trespassing on the school campus three times since the massacre.

"That's crazy," said Josef Bagiv, 16, a junior. "Just weird."

Conner Gandy, 17, a senior, said Zachary Cruz should have at least warned people before he visited the school. Cruz's showing up "frightens everyone," given how depressed he might be, he said.

"It's weird and suspicious, but I don't think he would do anything," he said.

Since his arrest Monday, Zachary Cruz has had contact in jail with his brother, Murphy said.

"He has been heard and observed discussing how popular his brother is now," she said. "That his face is everywhere and his name is national."

Murphy said there has been a discussion about starting a pen pal or fan club and the fact that Nikolas Cruz is capable of attracting a lot of girls.

In court Tuesday, Murphy told Broward County Judge Kim Mollica that it would be irresponsible to treat the new case as a typical trespassing infraction.

"His mother and father are deceased, his brother is incarcerated," Murphy said.

During his arrest, Zachary Cruz gave authorities an address where used to live in Parkland.

No one heeded warning signs about Nikolas Cruz before school shooting

Murphy said the guardian Cruz lives with in Lantana, Rocxanne Deschamps, was in New York when he was arrested Monday and had no idea how or why he went to the school. Deschamps was in New York to participate in a news conference, where she described her family's hardships from living with Nikolas Cruz.

If Zachary Cruz is able to post a bond, he will be fitted with an ankle monitor to track his movements, Mollica said.

He will not be allowed within a mile of Stoneman Douglas or within 500 feet of any school campus.

He is not to enter Broward County except for court-related business. Cruz would have to raise 10 percent of the bond amount to go free as he waits for his case to be resolved.

Defense lawyer Joseph Kimok objected to the bond amount, noting that a typical case of trespassing comes with a $25 bond.

Zachary Cruz "is being held because of who he is related to, not because of anything he did," Kimok said. "The state has been seeking to make a show of this."

Cruz did not speak during Tuesday's hearing. Kimok and prosecutors declined to comment after the hearing.

Zachary Cruz also was committed for mental health treatment under the Baker Act after the shooting, Murphy said during Tuesday's hearing.

State records show he had two prior run-ins in 2016 with Coral Springs police, being detained on larceny and criminal mischief charges.

Stoneman Douglas' school day ends at 2:40 p.m. Zachary Cruz allegedly rode his skateboard across the campus at 4:30 p.m. He spent less than 10 minutes there after entering the north gate on Holmberg Road, the same gate his brother entered on the day of the shooting, and exiting at a gate near the front entrance on Pine Island Road.

John Mansfield, 17, a junior, said perhaps Zachary Cruz was trying to make sense of the tragedy.

"I think he's trying to understand like everyone else," he said

Edit : I missed the Baker Act bit, I hope that means someone actually sets up some ongoing counselling & support for him while he's being held.
    Last edited by blighted star; 03-20-2018 at 09:37 PM.

I see to remember these hypocrites speaking out after the shooting they were at, but now they want to silence the kids who survived this shooting because they aren't saying what the band wants to hear. They got to rant about Muslims, but now they don't want the kids to talk about gun control. Sorry, you don't get to dictate that these survivors think and act like you did after the shooting. Fuck this asshole!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...thetic-n860056

Eagles of Death Metal frontman Jesse Hughes has branded the March for Our Lives protesters "pathetic" and ripped the survivors as "vile abusers of the dead."

"As the survivor of a mass shooting I can tell you from firsthand experience that all of you protesting and taking days off from school insult the memory of those who were killed," Hughes, who lived through the 2015 Paris terror attack, wrote in a spate of Instagram posts over the weekend.
    In one of three that the 45-year-old musician later deleted, Hughes posted a doctored photo of protest leader Emma Gonz?lez tearing apart a copy of the Constitution and called her, among other things, "the awful face of treason" and a "survivor of nothing."

Phillip Picardi, chief content officer of Teen Vogue, tweeted side-by-side images of Gonz?lez, who appeared on the digital cover of the magazine this month. At left is an image of Gonz?lez tearing apart a shooting range target; at right the doctored image of Gonz?lez tearing apart the Constitution.
    In a separate posting, Hughes displayed a cartoon in which a woman says she turned her gun in to "do my part in ending violence" and a man replies that he cut off his penis "to stop rape."

And in another that has since disappeared from his social media, Hughes posted a drawing of a medicine bottle on which it says "Pills That Are Hard to Swallow" and a hand holding three pills.

Arrows pointing to the pills say "Our guns aren't going anywhere," "There are only 2 genders," and "Donald Trump will be your president for 7 more years," according to the blog Consequence of Sound.

Ugh. Yep, that's the end of listening to them. What a fucking hypocrite. That's depressing. I thought he was cool. Nope.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/de...id=mailsignout

Deputies took cover during Parkland massacre, cop says — and one knew where shooter was

The newly released report suggests the problems with BSO's response to the Parkland shooting go beyond the school's resource officer, Deputy Scot Peterson, who was at the school when the shooting began but never went into Building 12. At least three other BSO deputies arrived on campus in time to hear gunfire but said they couldn't locate where the shooting was taking place.
    Broward Sheriff's Office deputies were taking cover behind cars and a tree as they responded to the worst school shooting in Florida history - and one of them thought he knew where the shooter was, according to an officer report released Tuesday by Coral Springs Police Department.

But the BSO deputies didn't immediately attempt to track down shooter Nikolas Cruz or aid the wounded, according to the report by Coral Springs officer Bryan Wilkins, which recounts his actions at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Feb. 14.

Wilkins wrote that he arrived at Stoneman Douglas within minutes of an active shooter alert. BSO was already there.

Fucking cowards. They want respect for "putting their lives on the line" except they don't. They shoot first ask questions later and run and hide while teenagers are getting shot up. Despicable.
    Oh well, back to gum.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pa...id=mailsignout

Parkland victims sue, calling gun maker and seller complicit in massacre

The families of two victims of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting on Wednesday sued the maker and seller of the weapon used in the rampage, claiming they should be held partially responsible for what Nikolas Cruz did with it.

The parents of Jaime Guttenberg and Alex Schachter want a judge to clear the way for them to claim damages against American Outdoor Brands, formerly known as Smith & Wesson, and Sunrise Tactical Supply. The Coral Springs store is where Cruz purchased the AR-15-style weapon used in the Feb. 14 shooting spree.

Fred and Jennifer Guttenberg, and Max Schachter "seek to hold defendants legally responsible for their complicity in the entirely foreseeable, deadly use of the assault-style weapons that they place on the market," according to the lawsuit, filed in Broward Circuit Court.

Before the lawsuit can go forward, their attorneys said, judges have to clarify that gun manufacturers and sellers can be sued by victims.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pa...id=mailsignout

Parkland student David Hogg calls for 'die-in' protest at Publix supermarkets

One of the most visible Parkland activists is calling for a "die-in" at Publix supermarkets Friday to protest its donations to Florida gubernatorial candidate Adam Putnam, whose pro-gun stance gets him a top rating from the National Rifle Association.

David Hogg, who helped galvanize the "March for Our Lives" movement after the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, told his 799,000 Twitter followers on Wednesday they should "die in" at Publix stores. It entails lying on the ground inside supermarkets for 12 minutes at 4 p.m. Friday.

Hogg called Publix an "#NRASellOut" through his Twitter account, criticizing the Lakeland-based chain's donations to Putnam, who once labeled himself on social media platforms as "a proud #NRASellout."

Putnam's stance and votes on guns have earned him the gun lobbying group's A-plus rating.

Publix's $670,000 donation to the gubernatorial candidate came to light last week in the Tampa Bay Times.

Company officials couldn't be reached late Wednesday to comment on whether protesters would be forced to leave, or arrested if they protest inside Publix stores.

I these kids so much!
    This is bravery, this is patriotism, this is loving your country and your fellow man.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pu...id=mailsignout

Publix halts political contributions after days of pushback from Parkland protestors

Supermarket giant Publix said Friday it has halted all corporate political contributions. The company made the announcement moments before a planned "die-in" protest organized by David Hogg, a vocal Parkland school shooting survivor.

Hogg and other gun violence activists were angered when news broke that the grocery store chain donated $670,000 over the last three years to Adam Putnam, a Republican gubernatorial candidate who once boasted he was a "proud NRA sellout."

The donation news sparked fierce backlash against the grocery store. On Friday, Hogg organized a "die-in" protest at a Coral Springs Publix and asked people to lie on the floor of the grocery store for 12 minutes. It was set to begin at 4 p.m.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co...id=mailsignout

Coconut Creek cop gets 5-day suspension after Facebook attack on David Hogg

Brian Valenti, the K-9 officer who posted a snide comment on Facebook that triggered public outrage nationwide, is being suspended for five days and will be required to undergo sensitivity training, the department said Tuesday.

"After careful consideration of the adverse impact Officer Valenti's Facebook post may have had on any of the individuals involved, his deep regret for making the comment, and the damage inflicted upon the Coconut Creek Police Department's reputation, I have decided to suspend Officer Valenti for a period of five days without pay," Coconut Creek Police Chief Butch Arenal said Tuesday.

Valenti, a 23-year veteran with the department, met with the chief Tuesday and told him he regretted posting a comment saying he hoped Parkland activist David Hogg would get hit by an out-of-control car at Friday's "die-in" protest at Publix. He told his supervisors it was meant as a joke, but he now realizes it was not funny. He plans to apologize in person to Hogg and other organizers of the event.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKCN1IW0DJ

Parkland killer boasted of mass murder plans in cell phone videos
    The teen charged with shooting 17 people dead at his former high school in Parkland, Florida, boasted of plans to commit mass murder in a series of cell phone videos recorded by him before the rampage and released on Wednesday by prosecutors.

In one of the three video clips, Nikolas Cruz, 19, calmly declares, “Hello. My name is Nik and I’m going to be the next school shooter of 2018.” He goes on to say: “My goal is to kill at least 20 people with an AR-15,” referring to the assault-style rifle he is seen holding in the footage.

Brandishing the rifle at another point, Cruz says: “You’re all going to die,” adding with a chuckle, “Can’t wait.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sw...id=mailsignout

SWAT swarms home of Parkland student activist David Hogg after a prank call to police

A phone call about a possible hostage situation in Parkland, Fla., on Tuesday morning led police officers to swarm the home of one of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School's most outspoken student activists.

It turned out to be a prank called "swatting" - an illegal hoax call increasingly employed as a harassment tactic.

The Broward County Sheriff's Office said the target of call was the Parkland home of Stoneman Douglas senior David Hogg. The 18-year-old has emerged as one of the leading voices at the high school since a Feb. 14 massacre by a former student who opened fire with an AR-15-styled rifle and killed 17 students and staff on campus.

"They said there was someone in the home with a weapon," said Broward Sheriff's Office public information officer Gina Carter. "SWAT responded. They cleared the home. It was a hoax and we will be investigating."

The call came in at 8:39 a.m. When police arrived there was no one in the house.
    Good thing no one was home, or someone would probably be killed. Bunch of pansy ass gun nuts that can't take any criticism, and think it's ok for teenagers to be killed as long as they get to jackoff to their guns.

eta: I think this article has a pretty good take on it:
    http://www.latimes.com/opinion/la-ol...htmlstory.html

'Swatting' David Hogg wasn't a 'prank,' it was attempted murder
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 06-05-2018 at 02:42 PM.

So I guess this is going to be a thing now. We are so fucked as a nation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/2-...xes/ar-AAyscyd

Similarly, in West Delray, authorities responded to the home of Jeffrey Kasky, father of #NeverAgain founder Cameron Kasky, who lives there part-time. Neither was home at the time. However, authorities say other relatives were.

The Kasky residence swatting incident happened Wednesday morning and authorities went to the address, but SWAT remained on standby, said spokeswoman Teri Barbera of the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.

"The caller did claim that there was an incident there, someone had been stabbed, the person was armed and that he was going to start shooting other people in the home," she said.

Investigators were able to reach Kasky, who was surprised to learn of the swatting incident at his home, Barbera said.

On Friday, the elder Kasky said he and his son were on a flight to San Francisco and learned about the swatting call upon landing, after it had been resolved.

"Cameron is involved in an organization that is currently focused on registering young people to vote. I am involved in a separate organization that is currently involved in taking on NRA-backed candidates so we can for the first time in decades effect some real federal change in our gun laws," he said. "There are people who make untold millions of dollars off of selling guns who feel threatened by Cameron and his team's actions and by the actions that I'm undertaking with my group."

The elder Kasky's organization is called Families vs. Assault Rifles. It was founded by him and other parents of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High students.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...bfrelatedlinks

The Alleged Parkland Gunman Asked School Officials For Special-Needs Help Before The Shooting

The Alleged Parkland Gunman Asked School Officials For Special-Needs Help Before The Shooting
    A new report offers an in-depth look at Nikolas Cruz's educational history and the two mistakes school officials made that resulted in a loss of support for a troubled student.

Posted on August 5, 2018, at 10:22 p.m. ET

In the fall of his junior year at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, Nikolas Cruz stopped receiving the special-needs services he had relied on for most of his life after school officials gave him the wrong information, according to a new report released late Friday.

After continuing to struggle at the high school, and moving to an off-campus learning center in April 2017, Cruz asked to return to an alternative school for students with emotional problems, where he had previously been successful. However, school officials did not execute his request due to "some confusion" over his status as a student with disabilities and a fumbled effort to reevaluate him.

Cruz's mother made several phone calls to officials explaining her son's desire to have his special-needs services reinstated, but the district "did not follow through."

"There was some confusion regarding his exact wishes, and no further action was taken at that time," the report stated.

The report offers a deeper look into Cruz's educational history, chronicling the Broward County school district's interactions with the troubled student, who had started exhibiting signs of developmental issues and erratic, volatile behavior when he was just 3 years old.

Though the publicly released report was heavily redacted to protect Cruz's privacy, its blacked-out contents easily became legible when copied and pasted into another document, as first reported by the Sun Sentinel.

Conducted by an outside consultant at the county's request, the investigation found that, overall, the district had adequately handled Cruz and his needs, allocating resources and specialists to the student, who struggled with an explosive temper and failing academics, but also had periods where he made positive strides in and out of the classroom.

But the report identified "two specific instances" in which officials did not follow state statute or federal laws for students with disabilities ? key mistakes that resulted in him going without therapeutic services for more than a year before he allegedly opened fire on his former classmates, killing 17 students and teachers at Marjory Stoneman Douglas.

The report delves into Cruz's early years, in which educators first began noticing concerning signs and alarming behavior. As a student in pre-kindergarten and elementary school, he was aggressive, often "biting, pinching, scratching" other students, and required "maximum teacher assistance" when interacting with classmates.

By the age of 3, he was found to have developmental disabilities and attention difficulties. At age 5, his "aggressive behaviors appeared to be unpredictable" and he was "impulsive with no sense of boundary," according to the report.

However, the report said that while Cruz experienced a series of "ups and downs" during his early education, his overall progress was positive, "thanks to the help of counselors and school staff working closely with his mother."

He then had a tumultuous time in middle school. From August 2013 to January 2014, he received about 28 different disciplinary referrals, mostly for profane language and disruptive behavior.

Eventually, a team of educators decided to move the eighth-grader to Cross Creek, an alternative school where students could receive more intensive support. As a middle-school student there, Cruz excelled, with staff describing him as a pupil who was "trying very hard" to do well and fit in.

By the next summer, August 2015, Cruz was deemed ready to start transitioning back to joining his peers at Marjory Stoneman Douglas in the fall ? a dream of his. Throughout his schooling, he had often shared his goal of graduating from a regular high school and joining the military.

By January 2016, he was attending the high school as a full-time student.

Much to the relief of his mother and school officials, Cruz acclimated to the traditional high school and "demonstrated he could be a model student," showing he could temper his impulses and seek help when needed, the report said. He even had a girlfriend. In the first semester of the 2016 school year, Cruz committed just one disciplinary infraction, resulting in two days of in-school suspension. Apart from that incident, however, educators noted that he appeared to be on track.

But then, the report said, Cruz began to fall back into depressive, angry patterns he'd struggled with in the past. By his junior year, his grades rapidly deteriorated and he got in trouble for fighting, using profane language, and wearing a backpack with a swastika on it. He had also reportedly talked about suicide and cutting himself.

Notes in his file mentioned that Cruz had been "begging mom to get him a Florida ID so he can buy a gun" and that his mother "thinks it is not a serious matter at all." According to the report, school staff said that Cruz's mother "had expressed that her son?s escalating behavior was due to a recent break-up with a girlfriend, and that he would soon get past it."

In response, officials conducted a threat assessment and checked off several items in the "High Level of Threat" category, resulting in the creation of a specialized supervision plan, the report said, including daily meetings with a school resource officer. Officials had also begun to devise a plan to help him transfer back to Cross Creek.

But because Cruz was 18, he was legally allowed to refuse their recommendation and stay where he was.

Officials were "concerned" about how he would respond, the report said, given his fixation on graduating from Marjory Stoneman Douglas and his "history of explosive behavior." Cruz quickly lashed out when he was brought into the room to discuss his academic trajectory, the report added, and "immediately became upset and verbally aggressive."

A Cross Creek staffer then presented Cruz with several options: He could voluntarily go back to his alternative school and work on his behavior; sue the school district to stop it from forcibly transferring him; or stay at Stoneman Douglas without any of the special-needs services he had been getting for almost as long as he'd been in school.

Those options, the reviewers concluded, were wrong. School officials misstated that he needed to give up protections for students with disabilities to stay at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. By law and district policy, the report stated, he should have been able to stay and continue receiving extra help.

Cruz decided to stay at the school, seen and treated as a general education student.

However, on Feb. 8, 2017, a few months after he gave up his support, Cruz was forced to withdraw from school due to his failing grades and continued conflicts with his classmates. It would be the last time he set foot on the campus until nearly a year later. Two days after leaving school, he legally purchased the AR-15 used in the shooting.

In the interim, Cruz also expressed a desire to go back to Cross Creek. In late April 2017, his mother made several calls to learning specialists at both schools, describing her son's wishes to leave his off-campus learning site, where teachers reported that he was "a quiet and hardworking" student.

"She said he had come to realize that the only way he would achieve his goal of graduating from high school would be to return to Cross Creek," the report said.

But because the 18-year-old had relinquished his specialized education services, he would have to go through the state's lengthy process of being deemed eligible as a student with disabilities all over again, despite his well-documented history of behavioral and emotional issues.

The district is required to respond to a student or parent's request for special-needs support within 30 days, the report said. But since at that point he was, in the district's eyes, a general education student, officials told him they needed to look into his files and develop an evaluation plan. That never happened.

By his senior year, Cruz had drifted farther into the fringes of the district's educational offerings, enrolling in several different alternative learning centers.

On Nov. 1, 2017, his mother, who had been an integral part of his special-needs education, died suddenly. He became more withdrawn and his progress in school slowed tremendously.

"Despite having started out on track," the report said, Cruz earned only two credits in the year and a half after he revoked his therapeutic assistance. He earned zero credits while attending the three off-campus learning centers.

And he was still nine credits shy of graduating high school when he returned to Stoneman Douglas on Feb. 14, 2018, carrying his assault weapons, the report said.

Thread Information