Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Shooting at Parkland high school in Florida

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ter-confession

The Parkland Mass Shooter Said "Just Fucking Kill Me" During His Confession

In video and a transcript of his initial interviews with police, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz describes his depression and multiple suicide attempts.

Last updated on August 8, 2018, at 7:17 p.m. ET

Posted on August 6, 2018, at 6:43 p.m. ET

Anxious and barely audible, Nikolas Cruz insisted that he "didn't deserve" a glass of cold water, to be read his rights, or to live after he gunned down 17 of his former classmates and teachers on Valentine's Day.

A few hours after police found him wandering near his former high school in Parkland, Florida, the 19-year-old sat alone in an interview room, telling authorities to kill him.

"Kill me. Just fucking kill me. Fuck," Cruz said to the empty room while a detective stepped out to get some water.

In a lengthy confession spanning about 12 hours and 217 pages, Cruz reticently told detectives about his depression, his family "putting [him] down," the times he had tried to kill himself, and the "evil," violent voice in his head that told him to "burn, kill, destroy."

Florida prosecutors released the transcript of his initial interview with Broward County Sheriff’s Detective John Curcio on Monday, though pages of the interview describing the actual shooting and how he got to the school were redacted and will not be immediately publicized. Video of the interview, showing Cruz in a hospital gown, was released Wednesday. The confession was edited out of the footage as well.

From the beginning, Curcio had to coax answers out of Cruz, who kept his voice low and his head down; he claimed to not remember details like his own phone number, what kind of cellphone he owned, or the address of the home where he had been living for the past few months.

After denying he used drugs, Cruz then said he did "a lot no one knew about," ticking off substances like Xanax and marijuana. Two months before the shooting, after his mother died suddenly, he tried to kill himself by taking a large amount of ibuprofen. One night, he said he snuck out of the house he was staying at and went to Walgreen's to buy bottles of ibuprofen and Advil.

When asked why, he said he was "depressed about everything," particularly his mother dying.

Before she died, he tried to kill himself by drinking too much alcohol.

"Loneliness," he explained, confirming that he did not have a lot of friends.

Cruz went on to explain his overwhelming depression, how he was kicked out of school for failing grades and fighting, and how upset he felt when he was transferred.

A report released Friday revealed that school district officials made two key mistakes that resulted in Cruz losing the special needs services he had been receiving since he was 3 years old, leaving him without therapeutic assistance and rendering him a "general education" student for his last two years of high school despite a long and well-documented history showing that was far from the case.

Throughout his life, the gunman said his mother "put [him] down" and called him "crazy, stupid, and worthless." As the detective continued to pry and peel back layers of Cruz's childhood and troubled time at school, the gunman constantly referred to himself as "stupid" and a "coward," revealing that he wanted to be an Army Ranger when he grew up but failed the test.

In his confession, he admitted to committing one of the worst school shootings in US history with a legally purchased AR-15 and a black bag full of ammunition, which he bought online.

He said he purchased the assault-style rifle for $560 at a gun store in Margate, Florida, because it was "cool looking" and he "needed to feel safe." Overall, he estimated he had spent about $4,000 on a variety of guns and ammunition and said that his mother had gone with him when he made most of the purchases.

For years, Cruz said he had been tortured daily by an "evil voice" that emerged right after his father died around 2005 and "started getting worse when my mom passed."

When it tells him to "burn, kill, destroy," Cruz told the detective that he would try not to obey, but often complied, burning fire pits, killing animals, and cutting himself.

At 18, he purchased his first firearm to protect himself from the voice and keep it "occupied so he doesn't do anything."

"I don’t really believe there is a voice, to be honest with you,” Curcio told him later on in questioning, prodding him as to why he did not ask for help to rid himself of the demon in his head.

"I think you like the demon," the detective suggested, to which Cruz repeatedly pushed back.

"I don't like the demon," Cruz said.

"Why didn't you stop it then?" the detective pressed.

A week before the shooting, the 19-year-old said he had planned to go to a park, though he didn't have one picked out, and start shooting people, but he "didn't want to do it."

When pressed as to why he didn’t follow through with “the bad side” telling him to gun down people at a park, Cruz said he didn’t know.

The night before the massacre, the shooter said the "demon" voice popped into his head while he was working at the Dollar Tree.

"What's the voice telling you?" Curcio asked.

"To hurt people," he replied, explaining that the voice "is in [him]."

The next morning, he said the voice told him to get an Uber with his weapons and go to his former high school.

"It's a voice. The voice is in here," he told the detective. "And then it's me. It's just regular me just trying to be a good person."

The "demon" voice, though, also acted as a kind of imaginary friend, Cruz said. Despite it being "bad," Cruz felt that it cared about him more than his own family, who he accused of mentally abusing him.

"I have someone in my head who I can talk to about it," the gunman said.

"So why do you want to be friends with somebody who just wants to tell you to do bad things?" the detective asked.

"To have somebody," Cruz replied. "Because I have no one."

Curcio left the room several times throughout the 12-hour interrogation, during which Cruz questioned over and over, "Why didn't he kill me?"

"I want to die. At the end, you’re nothing but worthless shit, dude. You deserve to die because you’re fucking worthless and you fucking…everyone. Want to die," he told the empty room during another break.

Around midnight, Curcio came back with Cruz's younger brother, Zachary Cruz. When it was his time to go, the 18-year-old told his older brother, "I love you with all my heart" and asked him, "Can I give him one more hug? Just one. Just one."

https://www.9news.com.au/2018/09/08/...iminal-history

Here is an update

The extensive criminal and drug abuse history of Parkland school suspect Nikolas Cruz's biological mother could be a key factor in whether he is sentenced to die for the massacre that killed 17 people, legal experts and officials say.

The mother, 62-year-old Brenda Woodard, played no role in Cruz's upbringing after giving him up for adoption after he was born.

But her past, which included a crack cocaine purchase arrest while she was pregnant with Cruz, will almost certainly be brought up for a jury considering whether he should live or die.

"It is not necessarily her past, but how her past contributed to his genetic makeup," said David S. Weinstein, a former state and federal prosecutor now in private practice.

"Her use of drugs and alcohol while she was pregnant with him, and how her genetic makeup was passed on to him."

"It might not carry the day, but it will give the jurors another mitigating factor to consider," he added.

The identity of Woodard, first reported on Wednesday by the Miami Herald, was confirmed to the Associated Press by a person close to the case who spoke on condition of anonymity because it is an ongoing prosecution.

RELATED ARTICLES
    Marjory Stoneman Douglas High students begin new school year
    Florida school shooting suspect punched himself while in custody
    Mother of Florida school shooting suspect let him buy gun
    The American Bar Association guidelines for defence lawyers in death penalty cases say they should closely examine all the defendant's past family, going back at least three generations.

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri, the chairman of a state commission investigating the shooting separate from the prosecution, said Wednesday that all of Cruz's background is relevant.

"If information has come to light about his biological mother and there is some relevance there, of course we will take a look at it," Gualtieri said. "We are looking heavily at his background and his whole life."

Cruz, 19, is charged with 17 counts of murder and 17 counts of attempted murder in the February 14 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

His lawyers say he will plead guilty if spared the death penalty, but prosecutors have refused that offer.

Broward County Public Defender Howard Finkelstein declined on Wednesday to discuss how Woodard's past might become part of the case.

But he repeated that Cruz is ready to end it now.

"Lock him up forever. Throw away the key and never speak his name," Finkelstein said in an email.

"Maybe it will curtail some of the pain and hurt that certainly will happen if this case continues on a decades-long march to death."

If the case goes to the death penalty phase, all 12 jurors must agree on capital punishment or Cruz will get an automatic life prison sentence.

Cruz and his brother, Zachary, were both adopted by Roger and Lynda Cruz soon after Woodard gave birth to them.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    The article above illustrates perfectly why my children are, and have always been, my anti-drug. Because I knew even before thinking of having kids that drugs could do horrific things, and I conducted myself accordingly.

As parents, we have a much greater responsibility than too many realize.

I feel horrible for his parents. Raising brothers together after adopting them from birth, only to have one become a killer. That's going to scar them for life.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Now go fuck yourself.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fl...id=mailsignout

Nikolas' Cruz's mom thought he was too disturbed to ever live on his own, but she took him to buy an AK-47 anyway, according to documents released Friday by prosecutors in the Parkland school shootings.

An employee from Gun World of South Florida told detectives that an older woman who he thought was Cruz's grandmother - but likely was his mother, Lynda Cruz - came with him to the Deerfield Beach shop when Cruz bought an AK-47 rifle. He was 18.

That woman later called the store and asked that the gun not be released to him if she wasn't present "because he's just young, and I just want to make sure he's safe and everything," she told the clerk.

But the employee, Kevin Fanti, told her Cruz was 18 and as an adult was legally allowed to pick up the gun unless she believed he was not fit to own one. The woman told Fanti: "No he's fine. I just want to make sure he's safe, you know, he's young, the first gun," he told detectives.

Prosecutors, by law, are releasing documents to the defense, including witness statements that also must be made available to the media. Nearly 200 pages released Friday reveal the strange dichotomy of a woman who was afraid of her troubled son yet indulged his passion for guns.

Lynda Cruz confided to friend Marni Garvey of Coral Springs that Cruz probably would spend the rest of his life with her and would never be able to be independent.

"She just always used to say: 'I just want him to get out of high school, I just want him to get out of high school,'" Garvey told a Broward County Sheriff's Office detective. "She said: 'I know he's never going to be able to move out.'"

School records show Nikolas was found to be developmentally delayed at age 3. He also had had a host of other problems, including attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, depression and an emotional behavioral disability. His mother described him to police as autistic.

Garvey said Cruz had "screaming episodes" and would tell his mother to "go f--- herself" and "I wish you to die."

"He pushed her, you know, he was very violent with her," Garvey said.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...ficer-59190712

Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz attacked a detention officer at the county jail and now faces new charges including use of the officer's electric stun device, authorities said Wednesday.

Broward Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Veda Coleman-Wright said in an email Wednesday that Cruz assaulted Sgt. Raymond Beltran around 6 p.m. Tuesday.

Jail records show Cruz now is charged with aggravated assault on an officer, battery on an officer and use of an "electric or chemical weapon against an officer."

The 20-year-old Cruz faces the death penalty in the Feb. 14 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland that killed 17 people and wounded 17 others. He's pleaded not guilty in the shooting, but his lawyers say he would plead guilty in exchange for a life prison sentence.

According to the assault arrest report, Cruz attacked Beltran after he was told to "not drag his sandals around" while walking in a jail dayroom. Cruz responded, the report says, by showing Beltran his middle finger and then rushing the deputy and striking him with his fist.

The report says Cruz and Beltran then "got into a physical altercation" in which both wound up on the floor and Cruz was able to wrest control of the stun gun, technically called a "conducive electronic weapon." The stun gun discharged but it's not clear from the report whether it struck anyone; Beltran was able to regain control.

Beltran was struck multiple times by Cruz using his fists, according to video surveillance cited by the report.

Finally, the report says Beltran struck Cruz in the face with a fist containing the stun gun and Cruz then "retreated to one of the seats" in the dayroom before he was taken into custody.

The report doesn't detail the severity of injuries to Cruz or Beltran.

"We don't know any more than you do as of yet," Broward County Public Defender Howard Finkelstein said in an email.

Cruz appeared at a brief initial hearing Wednesday on the assault charges, with bail set at $200,000. But he won't be released because he is being held without bail on the murder charges.

What kind of insane bullshit is this? What a fucking joke

Seriously. This is fucking disgusting

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...223282035.html

Cops, schools had no duty to protect students during Parkland shooting, judge rules
    BY COLLEEN WRIGHT

DECEMBER 18, 2018 06:39 PM

A federal judge has ruled that Broward schools and the sheriff?s office were not responsible for protecting students during the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High.

That liability, the judge reasoned, only works with incarcerated prisoners or others who are involuntarily committed, not schoolchildren ?with the ability to take care of themselves,? according to a motion filed last week by U.S. District Judge Beth Bloom.

The Sun Sentinel on Tuesday reported that Bloom dismissed a suit filed by 15 unnamed students who say they suffered psychological trauma from the school shooting that killed 17 and injured another 17 in February. The lawsuit claimed the school district and the Broward Sheriff?s Office, along with former school resource officer Scot Peterson and school campus monitor Andrew Medina and former BSO Captain Jan Jordan failed through action or inaction to protect the students while at school.

?The claim arises from the actions of [shooter Nikolas] Cruz, a third party, and not a state actor,? Bloom wrote. ?Thus, the critical question the Court analyzes is whether defendants had a constitutional duty to protect plaintiffs from the actions of Cruz.?

Bloom sided with the motions of Jordan, Medina, Superintendent Robert Runcie, Sheriff Scott Israel and the county. It agreed with Peterson?s motion in part, but said Peterson?s accusations of drug dealing, temporary detainment and confiscation of money from a student (one of the plaintiffs in the suit) were baseless and unreasonable.

?Plaintiffs suggest that the essential nature of a public school?s role and control over its students requires that schools provide protection and safety for their students,? Bloom wrote. ?However, the suggestion that school attendance equates to the level of custody implicating a constitutional obligation to protect has been expressly rejected by the Eleventh Circuit.?

Kristoffer R. Budhram of Jacksonville, who represented the students, said in an emailed statement to the Sentinel: ?We respectfully disagree with Judge Bloom?s decision to dismiss our clients? case. This case is about protecting the Constitutional rights of individuals who were the victims of one of the worst mass shootings in this country?s history.?

He added, ?We are exploring all of our options for ensuring that they get their day in court, including appealing Judge Bloom?s decision.?

Judge Beth Bloom

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    What kind of insane bullshit is this? What a fucking joke

Seriously. This is fucking disgusting
    This is America...

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    This is America...

Good for him! I hope he gets that political science degree and makes a change in our world.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...attend-harvard

David Hogg, who survived the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., in February, is headed to Harvard.

Hogg tweeted the news Saturday morning.

Thank you all for the well wishes, I’ll be attending Harvard in the fall with a planned major in Political Science.
    — David Hogg (@davidhogg111) December 22, 2018

Oh no! They're just their for the accolades and LE discount. Now they're going to have to protect people?! What is this world coming to!

https://www.wesh.com/article/active-...uties/25672043

Active shooter policy changes for Broward County deputies

Deputies in one South Florida county will have to try to confront active shooters in the future.

It's a change to the Broward County's Sheriff's written policy that drew controversy following the Feb. 14 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

The new policy says deputies "shall" immediately intervene instead of "may" in the case of an active shooter scenario.

Earlier this month, members of a public safety commission criticized the "may" policy, saying it is "inconsistent" with standard law enforcement procedures.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/loc...228350134.html

. After a second Parkland shooting survivor died by suicide in a week?s span, Florida?s emergency chief is calling for the state Legislature to dispatch more mental health resources for the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School community.

On Saturday night, a Parkland sophomore took his own life, according to Coral Springs police. A week before, a former student whose best friend died in last year?s massacre took her life.

?Now is the time for the Florida Legislature to help,? said Jared Moskowitz, Florida?s emergency management director and a former state representative from Parkland.

?Mental health is a bipartisan issue,? he posted on Twitter.

He told the Miami Herald that school, county, city and law enforcement officials, as well as mental health specialists, met Sunday afternoon to ?discuss what help may be requested of this state.?

?This is a terrible tragedy that the community continues to go through,? he said. ?I?m talking to the the family members of the victims, as well as county officials, and waiting to see what direction or requests they may have.?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/1343721001/

Former Parkland deputy Scot Peterson charged after staying outside Marjory Stoneman Douglas school shooting

Former school resource officer Scot Peterson was arrested Tuesday in connection with his inaction during a mass school shooting, 15 months after a shooter killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

According to Broward County Sheriff Gregory Tony, Peterson and Sgt. Brian Miller were found to have neglected their duties during the Feb. 14, 2018, shooting in Parkland.

“We cannot fulfill our commitment to always protect the security and safety of our Broward County community without doing a thorough assessment of what went wrong that day,” Tony said. “I am committed to addressing deficiencies and improving the Broward Sheriff’s Office.”

The pair have been terminated.

Peterson, 56, was arrested in Broward County on seven counts of neglect of a child and three counts of culpable negligence and one count of perjury. The arrest comes after a 15-month investigation into the actions of law enforcement following the shooting.

Peterson was taken into custody and booked into the Broward Sheriff's Office's main jail.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...u6a-story.html

Jury selection in the murder case against the man who gunned down 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School last year has been set for Jan. 27, a Broward judge ordered Thursday.

Nikolas Cruz, 21, faces the death penalty if convicted on any one of 17 first-degree murder charges. He also is charged with 17 counts of attempted murder stemming from his Feb. 14, 2018, rampage at the Parkland high school he once attended.

Broward Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer began telling prosecutors and defense lawyers earlier this year to be ready for a January trial date, and she has repeated that goal at almost every hearing since. Prosecutors have announced in court that they are ready to start the trial at any time, but defense lawyers have balked, telling Scherer that they need time to depose hundreds of witnesses on the prosecution?s list.

Assistant Public Defender Gordon Weekes repeated that stand Thursday. ?The timeline is not realistic, given how much work needs to be done to prepare," he said. "We?ve tried to make it clear at every hearing that this is an enormous case, and it seems to us that setting a January trial date is a political move that serves no judicial purpose.?

Weekes said the defense likely will file for a continuance as early as Cruz?s next scheduled court appearance next week.

Within days of the mass shooting, the Broward Public Defender?s Office all but conceded his guilt ? when it was time for him to enter a formal plea, Cruz ?stood mute" instead of pleading not guilty, a tacit indication that the case will not hinge on his lawyers trying to convince anyone he did not commit the crime.

Scherer entered the not guilty plea on Cruz?s behalf, a legal formality allowing the case to proceed.

But Public Defender Howard Finkelstein urged his counterpart, State Attorney Mike Satz, to drop the death penalty and allow Cruz to plead guilty in exchange for a sentence of life in prison. Doing that, he contended, would bring closure to the community, survivors and the families of the victims.

Satz rejected the offer, saying the death penalty is legally appropriate in light of the preparation and premeditated intent to inflict harm.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ilies-n1147581

A Southern California man was sentenced Monday to more than five years in prison for cyberstalking and harassing families and friends of victims of the 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

Brandon Michael Fleury, 22, of Santa Ana in Orange County, was convicted by a federal jury in Florida in October of interstate transmission of a threat to kidnap and interstate cyberstalking.

He used 13 Instagram accounts to target victims' families and friends and sent messages that threatened kidnapping and violence, prosecutors said. Among the messages he sent was one that read "with the power of my AR-15, you all die," prosecutors said. The gunman in the mass shooting that killed 17 people used an AR-15 weapon.

While Fleury was sentenced to 66 months in prison, six of those months will run concurrently, or at the same time, to a 60-month sentence, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Florida said in a statement.

Nikolas Cruz, now 21, is accused of killing 17 people, mostly students, at the high school on Valentine's Day 2018. Prosecutors have said they will seek the death penalty.

In some of the messages, Fleury used aliases that included Cruz as well as serial killer Ted Bundy, prosecutors said. Fleury was charged in January 2019.

Fleury told law enforcement officials that he posted the messages "to taunt or 'troll' the victims and gain popularity" and notoriety online. He said he targeted family members who he considered "activists," according to a criminal complaint.
    There was testimony at Fleury's trial that he is autistic, although several mental health experts said he did understand right from wrong.

His attorney, Sabrina Puglisi, said she had hoped the judge would give greater weight to his mental issues in imposing a sentence.

"I think that it’s a high sentence given Brandon’s background and other similarly situated cases, but I believe that the judge felt the need to have the sentence send a message to others that are out there on the internet doing this bad behavior," Puglisi said.

Prosecutors sought the maximum sentence of 20 years. They said in court documents that some of his victims believed Fleury lived in Parkland.

"The victims lived in constant fear that the individual bombarding them with this vile messages sought to follow in Cruz’ footsteps," prosecutors wrote in seeking the maximum sentence. They also said that he knew they were grieving and in pain, but "he ju
    https://www.madisonfl.net/blog/s-flo...kland-victims/

He's a troll of the worst kind.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

They always look like that.

Parkland shooting suspect can’t be called ‘animal’ at his trial

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...r4a-story.html

The former Parkland, Fla., student accused of killing 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas high School can not be referred to as “that thing” or called an “animal” during his upcoming trial.

A Fort Lauderdale judge ruled Friday that it would be impossible to draft a list of names that can’t be used to describe Nikolas Cruz, but those terms are off limits. The 22-year-old suspect is charged with going on a Feb. 14, 2018 shooting spree that left 14 students and 3 faculty members dead. Another 17 people were injured.

Cruz’s defense team unsuccessfully asked that their client should only be referred to by name or as “the defendant” and that potentially prejudicial terms like “massacre” not be used. They would prefer the slaughter be referred to as “the incident,” “the tragedy” or the “mass shooting.”

Judge Elizabeth Scherer said those requests went too far and ruled words like “school shooter, murderer, or killer” are not derogatory and could be used to describe “particular facts.”

Prosecutors were warned not to “editorialize” or offer opinions. They were also instructed to advise witnesses to avoid using derogatory terms when referring to the defendant or his alleged actions. Some victims’ family members have used colorful language when speaking about Cruz in the media. Cruz’s attorneys can object if they feel inappropriate language is being used.

Cruz pleaded not guilty to murder charges. Prosecutors rejected his attorneys’ request for a life sentence and are seeking the death penalty. A trial date has not been set.

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post
    Parkland shooting suspect can’t be called ‘animal’ at his trial

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...r4a-story.html

The former Parkland, Fla., student accused of killing 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas high School can not be referred to as “that thing” or called an “animal” during his upcoming trial.

A Fort Lauderdale judge ruled Friday that it would be impossible to draft a list of names that can’t be used to describe Nikolas Cruz, but those terms are off limits. The 22-year-old suspect is charged with going on a Feb. 14, 2018 shooting spree that left 14 students and 3 faculty members dead. Another 17 people were injured.

Cruz’s defense team unsuccessfully asked that their client should only be referred to by name or as “the defendant” and that potentially prejudicial terms like “massacre” not be used. They would prefer the slaughter be referred to as “the incident,” “the tragedy” or the “mass shooting.”

Judge Elizabeth Scherer said those requests went too far and ruled words like “school shooter, murderer, or killer” are not derogatory and could be used to describe “particular facts.”

Prosecutors were warned not to “editorialize” or offer opinions. They were also instructed to advise witnesses to avoid using derogatory terms when referring to the defendant or his alleged actions. Some victims’ family members have used colorful language when speaking about Cruz in the media. Cruz’s attorneys can object if they feel inappropriate language is being used.

Cruz pleaded not guilty to murder charges. Prosecutors rejected his attorneys’ request for a life sentence and are seeking the death penalty. A trial date has not been set.
    Good. Because that would be a huge insult towards animals.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...nalty-85943765

Florida jury sworn in to determine school shooter's penalty

The jury that will decide whether Nikolas Cruz should get the death penalty for killing 17 people in the 2018 shooting rampage at a Parkland, Florida, high school was finally selected Wednesday, after a painstaking, stop-and-start process that took nearly three months.

The defense wound up using all 10 of its peremptory challenges, eliminating candidates for any reason other than race or gender, while the prosecution used four. On Wednesday, the defense used its final strikes to eliminate a retired insurance company executive and a banking executive who had been tentatively on the panel when court adjourned Tuesday.

Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer shot down the defense’s attempt to use a peremptory to eliminate a Black man who said during jury selection he did not believe in the existence of “white privilege” — the argument that white people get certain societal advantages because of their race. Scherer agreed with the prosecution’s argument that the defense’s reasoning showed racial bias.

The seven men and five women who were chosen will return to court July 18 for opening statements along with the 10 alternates who were also chosen. Cruz, 23, pleaded guilty in October to murdering 17 people at Parkland's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Feb. 14, 2018, meaning the expected four-month trial will only decide if he receives a penalty of death or life in prison without parole. If one juror opposes death, the former Stoneman Douglas student will receive a life sentence.

The panel will have a task never faced by a U.S. jury — no American mass shooter who killed at least 17 people has ever made it to trial.

a heart wrenching read

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/04/us/pa...ene/index.html

Frozen in horror: Notes from inside the Parkland school massacre site

The family testimonies are so sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Why?

Because I don't like anal penetration sex between men, I don't.

Just because I don't like anal sex, doesn't make me any less gay or unable to be loved.

I can't be the only one out here, I'm just not. Don't worry about it. Mind your fucking business.

They know he's guilty. They should've just put a bullet in him like he requested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Thread Information