Thread: Bailey Holt (15) and Preston Cope (15) killed in Benton Kentucky school shooting

Bailey Holt (15) and Preston Cope (15) killed in Benton Kentucky school shooting

https://www.thetrace.org/rounds/amer...s-in-two-days/

A least two students were killed and 14 others shot after a gunman opened fire Tuesday morning at a Kentucky high school. Four others were wounded in the incident.

Armed with a handgun, a 15-year-old student entered Marshall County High School at 7:57 a.m. and began firing, officials said in a news conference.

A 15-year-old girl, identified by police as Bailey Nicole Holt, died at the scene. Another student, Preston Ryan Cope, also 15, died at a hospital. Five people remained in critical condition on Tuesday night, authorities said.
    Stay Informed

Subscribe to receive The Trace?s daily roundup of important gun news and analysis.

The rampage took place in Benton, a town of 4,000 in the southwest corner of the state.

?This is something that has struck in the heart of Kentucky ? it?s not far away, it?s here ? and it hits home,? said Michael Webb, a spokesperson for the Kentucky State Police. ?I have a 15-year-old daughter. I think about that. We have two 15-year-old high school students that have been killed just showing up to go to school. It doesn?t get any worse than that.?

Authorities have not released the shooter?s name or motive. (Follow The Trace on Twitter for more details as they become available.)

The Kentucky shooting was the young school week?s third incident of gunfire at an American K-12 school.

Early yesterday morning, a 16-year-old boy wielding a .380-caliber handgun shot and injured a female student in a high school cafeteria in the Texas town of Italy. A 17-year-old student who was pulling up to the school at the time said she saw ?the doors fly open and everyone screaming and running out of the building.?

The victim was transported an hour north to Parkview Medical Center in Dallas. The suspect is in custody.

On Monday afternoon, someone opened fire from a pickup truck outside a New Orleans charter school. A 14-year-old boy who was among a group of students in the school parking lot at the time suffered an abrasion wound.

This story first appeared in The Trace?s email newsletter. Sign up here.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Wow. Poor kids. Schools should be safe.

Two dead after attack at Marshall County High School

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ported-n840171
    Two students were killed Tuesday and 18 other people were wounded when a 15-year-old boy armed with a handgun opened fire inside a Kentucky high school, authorities said.

Terrified students ditched their backpacks and scrambled to get away, and within minutes of the shots' having been fired, sheriff's deputies were at Marshall County High School in Benton, where they disarmed the student and took him into custody, officials said.

But it was too late to save Bailey Nicole Holt, 15, who died at the scene, and Preston Ryan Cope, 15, who died later at a trauma center, Kentucky State Police Commissioner Richard Sanders said early Tuesday night.

Sixteen of the wounded were injured by gunfire and the four others were hurt while trying to escape, state police said Tuesday night, revising Sanders' earlier report that 14 people were shot. Three of the victims were listed in critical condition Tuesday night at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Knoxville, Tennessee.

"In addition to those family members that have lost loved ones, that have had loved ones injured or hurt or traumatized, we pray for these people," Sanders said.

Authorities declined to identify the suspect or discuss a possible motive, but Sanders said he would likely face two counts of murder and "numerous" counts of attempted murder.The FBI and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also joined the investigation.

The small town was in shock as teachers and counselors tried to calm terrified students who described the chaos in the classrooms when the bullets started flying at 7:57 a.m. (8:57 a.m. ET), shortly after the shooter entered the school's common area, according to Sanders.

Two minutes later, dispatchers got the first 911 call, he said, and police were on scene by 8:06 a.m. The suspect was taken into custody almost immediately by the first officer on the scene, he said.

"They were busting down the gates and fences just to get out," Shea Thompson, whose teenage siblings were inside the school when the shooting started, told NBC News.

Greg Rodgers, 17, a junior, said that when he arrived at school, he saw students racing out of the building.

"I pulled off to the side of the road because everyone was running to the main road," Greg said. "I asked my friend what was going on, and he told me that there was a school shooting. I was shocked. He said that someone had just shot up the school."

Greg said the suspect opened fire as students were heading to classes.

"I'm distraught from all of it. I couldn't really focus driving home," he said. "I was shaking a lot driving back to my house. I'm still shaking."

Thompson said her 15-year-old brother, Shawn, a freshman, called her from the school in "a complete panic" around 8:02 a.m.

"He was yelling: 'Someone's shooting! Someone's shooting!," said Thompson, 26, of Benton.

Thompson said her 16-year-old sister, Kristin, a sophomore, was in the common area near the cafeteria. She said Kristin told her that a bullet pierced her friend's backpack but that the friend wasn't hurt.

Clyde Lee was at North Marshall Middle School waiting to collect Isaac Robinson, his nephew, a sophomore who was being bused there from the high school. He said he had just learned that a young girl they know was badly wounded.

"There are a lot of parents crying," Lee said. "It's a very bad situation here. We had a family friend who was shot in the chest. We don't have any other information on her condition."

Lee said he never imagined "something like this happening in such a small town" like Benton.

"No one should have to go through something like this," he said.

Benton is a city of about 4,300 residents in western Kentucky, about 120 miles northwest of Nashville. It is also about 40 miles southeast of West Paducah, Kentucky, where a 14-year-old student at Heath High School opened fired in 1997, killing three people and wounding five others as they were praying.

The shooting Tuesday came a day after a 15-year-old girl was wounded at Italy High School in Texas after someone opened fire inside the cafeteria. No motive was immediately given.

"Our nation's schools should be some of the safest spaces in our communities," said Gabby Giffords, the former congresswoman-turned-activist, who noted that there have been 13 mass shootings already this year. "And it's only January."
    I honestly looked for an article on this. Could not find one. If there is one, I'm sorry and please merge or whatever. This happened about an hour from me..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Why?

Because I don't like anal penetration sex between men, I don't.

Just because I don't like anal sex, doesn't make me any less gay or unable to be loved.

I can't be the only one out here, I'm just not. Don't worry about it. Mind your fucking business.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Why?

Because I don't like anal penetration sex between men, I don't.

Just because I don't like anal sex, doesn't make me any less gay or unable to be loved.

I can't be the only one out here, I'm just not. Don't worry about it. Mind your fucking business.

It's weird that they haven't released his name.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

It's all over Twitter. His name is Gabe Parker.

https://everipedia.org/wiki/gabe-parker/

I spoke with a friend of the family who reached out to me yesterday after I posted something on Twitter about how I was willing to bet my life that this young man was bullied. I also mentioned to some rumors going around -- that his father had died the night before and his mom made him go to school, which people thought was the catalyst. Those rumors are untrue. The family friend indicates that his mother is a wonderful mom and is absolutely heartbroken. My prayers go out to his family.

Yes, he was bullied at school. Apparently for years.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Did he get his Burger King though? That's what's really important. All that shooting works up an appetite. He got brought in alive, so get the kid some grub!

How the fuck is this girl, with a bullet in her chest, forgiving this piece of shit and praying for him?

If I got shot, I'll be Capone in The Untouchables:

I want you to get this fuck where he breathes! I want you to find this nancy-boy Gabe Parker, I want him dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burned to the ground! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna piss on his ashes!
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    It's all over Twitter. His name is Gabe Parker.

https://everipedia.org/wiki/gabe-parker/

I spoke with a friend of the family who reached out to me yesterday after I posted something on Twitter about how I was willing to bet my life that this young man was bullied. I also mentioned to some rumors going around -- that his father had died the night before and his mom made him go to school, which people thought was the catalyst. Those rumors are untrue. The family friend indicates that his mother is a wonderful mom and is absolutely heartbroken. My prayers go out to his family.

Yes, he was bullied at school. Apparently for years.
    I'm 30 miles from Benton and I've been hearing the same rumors about the dad dying and snapchat teasing the night before the shooting.

Ron, this is the south. They love their guns, confederate flag, and the false sense of moral and/or racial superiority. I keep asking, how many dead kids will it take for us to talk about gun control and increasing funding for mental health? Another thing, adults are bullies, what do we expect from kids? A friend who went to school in Benton but teaches in Paducah says that some of the same people who bullied her have raised kids who are bullies.

So was this kid bullied or not?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    So was this kid bullied or not?
    Yes, but I guess it's hard to figure out to what extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    I'm 30 miles from Benton and I've been hearing the same rumors about the dad dying and snapchat teasing the night before the shooting.

Ron, this is the south. They love their guns, confederate flag, and the false sense of moral and/or racial superiority. I keep asking, how many dead kids will it take for us to talk about gun control and increasing funding for mental health? Another thing, adults are bullies, what do we expect from kids? A friend who went to school in Benton but teaches in Paducah says that some of the same people who bullied her have raised kids who are bullies.
    So the high school shooting victim who forgave him and will pray for everyone involved did so because of a false sense of moral superiority? Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    Yes, but I guess it's hard to figure out to what extent.
    Who the fuck cares to what extent. He is old enough and competent enough to know right from wrong, whether he was bullied or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    So the high school shooting victim who forgave him and will pray for everyone involved did so because of a false sense of moral superiority? Sure.
    That's not even what I implied. What I said was that in the south, they hold on to their guns, confederate flag, and the false sense of moral and/or racial superiority. In no way am I implying that they or anyone prays because of a false sense of moral superiority. Now that you mention it, I forgot to add Jesus. The southerners hold old to their guns, confederate flag, false sense of moral and/or racial superiotry, and Jesus. I didn't mean religion by moral superiority, I meant the sense that I can take welfare, but no one else can.

Who the fuck cares to what extent. He is old enough and competent enough to know right from wrong, whether he was bullied or not.
    Well, they were saying that he was made fun of because his dad died the day before and his mom was shitty. There's mental illness, and people can be pushed to the edge. I'm not justifuy what hedid. There's no excuse, or justification, but I'm trying to at least understand how someone could be pushed that far. Bullying is out of control. Something needs to be done about it.

His Mom is not shitty, and in fact she's a journalist, and rushed to the scene to take pictures, only to find out that it was her son that did the shooting.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...itors-son.html

So the rumors of his Mom being shitty aren't true. They also say that he was very fond of his grandparents.

t.
    Sounds right to me.

I thought the shooter's dad dying the night before was just a rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I thought the shooter's dad dying the night before was just a rumor?
    It is. I guess everything will come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Sounds right to me.
    Well, besides the fact she is morally superior from the fact that she didn't shoot anyone, maybe she just isn't a vindictive kind of person. I am the last person in the world usually that will defend Christians, but come on.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    It blows my mind that people here aren't human enough to understand that the reason for all these shootings is that these fucking dumbass kids have access to firearms in their homes.

This is not "responsible gun ownership" you goddamn inbred sacks of donkey shit! You are a spineless sack of donkey shit if you believe otherwise. And no one gives two shits what you fucking think, anyway.

Responsible gun owners keep their guns locked up. They teach their children that it is NEVER okay to shoot another person outside of a life or death situation. They teach their children respect for others, and for guns.

Now all this bullshit about having armed guards at school? How about "yo, fucktard parents, your kid gets caught in here with a loaded weapon, your family will never see the light of day again." Put these sorry excuses for humanity down in the dirt to feed on worms. Or for the worms to feed on them.

No excuse for this bullshit, and I don't give two shits how you feel about guns, they don't belong in the hands of children unless they are closely supervised by parents or other professionals. AND THEY NEVER FUCKING BELONG IN SCHOOL.

Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    It blows my mind that people here aren't human enough to understand that the reason for all these shootings is that these fucking dumbass kids have access to firearms in their homes.

This is not "responsible gun ownership" you goddamn inbred sacks of donkey shit! You are a spineless sack of donkey shit if you believe otherwise. And no one gives two shits what you fucking think, anyway.

Responsible gun owners keep their guns locked up. They teach their children that it is NEVER okay to shoot another person outside of a life or death situation. They teach their children respect for others, and for guns.

Now all this bullshit about having armed guards at school? How about "yo, fucktard parents, your kid gets caught in here with a loaded weapon, your family will never see the light of day again." Put these sorry excuses for humanity down in the dirt to feed on worms. Or for the worms to feed on them.

No excuse for this bullshit, and I don't give two shits how you feel about guns, they don't belong in the hands of children unless they are closely supervised by parents or other professionals. AND THEY NEVER FUCKING BELONG IN SCHOOL.

So your solution is to punish the whole family of people who use a gun to murder people?

So your solution is to punish the whole family of people who use a gun to murder people?
    Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Sounds good.

Thread Information