Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vigilante Justice Thread

http://www.news9.com/story/39337852/...d-during-sting

Update a vigilante in Oklahoma is detained on parking tickets violations.

https://carolinianuncg.com/2018/10/2...in-the-movies/

I have left movie theaters multiple times feeling like I wanted to be Batman. I’ve seen shows like Daredevil, The Punisher and Arrow that have made me fantasize about how cool and exciting being a superhero would be. Punching evil in the face and saving the world looks pretty satisfying! However, these heroes are often vigilantes. Viewers give them a pass for negative or violent actions because we believe that they are working for the greater good. What we find is that real life is vigilantism doesn’t pan out like it does in comic books and movies.

As defined by the legal dictionary, vigilantism is “taking the law into one’s own hands, based on one’s own understanding of right and wrong; action taken by a person or a group of people that goes above what that law permits.”

Let’s unpack this by using examples. In the 1974 movie, “Death Wish,” the protagonist Paul Kersey takes justice into his own hands by killing muggers on the streets of New York. He embarks on his vigilante crusade after police and detectives who have failed to track down the muggers that broke into his house, raped both his wife and daughter and left them for dead. Paul ends up becoming a New York hero to the public, and never faces any legal repercussions. Over the course of five Death Wish movies, Paul ends up single-handedly killing 115 people. What the muggers did was wrong, but was what Paul did any better?
    The story above is not uncommon. We have seen it rinsed and repeated time and time again in films like Die Hard, Taken and Walking Tall. The movies depicting this kind of vigilante justice, albeit entertaining, are not realistic. While killing the bad guys on screen may seem like justice, it’s not that different from what criminals do. The motivations are similar. Both vigilantes and criminals do what they want, regardless of the law. We permit it because we have historically and socially celebrated stories about retribution and revenge, permitting acts of violence if the “good guy” does it, even if it is not dissimilar from what the “bad guy” has done.

With that being said, there are good sides and bad sides to vigilantism. Positive things can come from vigilantism. Sometimes the law is the issue, and something needs to be done about it.

This leads me to another part of the definition details “action taken by a group of people that organize themselves for the purpose of protecting common interests such as liberty, property, or personal security.” The American Revolution was built entirely on vigilantism. The Boston Tea Party was an act of rebellion. Guy Fawkes was a vigilante and has his own day, November 5. History was changed due to these acts. In essence, no revolution occurs without vigilantism.

On the other side of the coin, the Klu Klux Klan is a vigilante group. Many people are familiar with their forms of enacting what they call justice. Lynchings, whether affiliated with the KKK or not, were acts of vigilantism. During the Prohibition, the acts of the Mob were acts of vigilantism, sometimes resulting in massacres. The numerous attacks against abortion clinics by anti-abortion individuals and groups are vigilantism. All of these acts of vigilantism were done in pursuit of individual and ideological gain, not for the common good.

Ultimately, the question becomes: where is the line between right and wrong? When is vigilantism morally defensible?

When vigilantism is enacted upon a tyrannical regime, I believe it is morally defensible. When vigilantism in the form of revenge murder is carried out, it is not morally sound. I am not a believer in “an eye for an eye” justice. However, I do understand that in certain circumstances, the lines are blurred. Yet still, blurred lines aren’t alibis- they are excuses for morally repugnant actions.

have a respect for and faith in our legal system while at the same time, I have critiques. They do not always do what I consider as “right,” but neither does anyone else. It is useless to hold them to an impossible standard that we cannot hold ourselves to. This doesn’t mean that we sit idly by when they make bad decisions regarding criminal behavior and punishment. We can and should speak out, but it does not need to be done through terror and violence.

Does it enrage me when someone gets away with a crime that they most certainly committed, such as rape or murder? Yes. Will I personally hunt them down and murder and torture them for revenge? No, I believe that that is wrong. I don’t think fighting fire with fire is the answer. Bullets, blades, and bombs do not create progress; they create pain. Taking situations into your own hands just causes more pain, not healing. Positive change can be affected through empathy, collaboration and dialogue. Call me a dreamer, but I believe in the power of communication. We have to be better than we have been if we ever hope to become a truly just civilization.

Kambing, are you a real person? Are you head of the goat society? I kid but I'm genuinely curious about you.
    Sarcastic. Skeptic Tank. Self-deprecating.

Quote Originally Posted by Non_Saepe View Post
    Kambing, are you a real person? Are you head of the goat society? I kid but I'm genuinely curious about you.
    No I just do this out of thrills to read vigilante posts. But Some of them here batshit crazy in some threads I did.

Quote Originally Posted by KambingSociety View Post
    No I just do this out of thrills to read vigilante posts. But Some of them here batshit crazy in some threads I did.
    But you are the only one posting vigilante stories. Couldn't you just read them on the web without posting every one you come across?
    Is English your second language? I'm trying to figure out where you are from since kambing means goat in Malaysia but your avatar says you live in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Non_Saepe View Post
    But you are the only one posting vigilante stories. Couldn't you just read them on the web without posting every one you come across?
    Is English your second language? I'm trying to figure out where you are from since kambing means goat in Malaysia but your avatar says you live in California.
    Technically Tagalog is my third language, Spanish is my second language English is my first language and Kambing means goat too in Tagalog.
    Note My family are immigrants from the Philippines except me I was born in the USA. I got high on Vigilante stories when I heard that there was a death squad in the Duterte era of the Philippines.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/21404...till-walk-free

Prior to that I was fascinated with the Patrick Drum incident and the others David Carlson incidents

http://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/hud...ter-conviction

This is why I started this thread to bring up the issue over "Why Does Blame the Hero takes place in a Courtroom?" and "How much insanity is a vigilante willing to take than the original victims and perps?" to do what he says is the right thing to do.

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...opher+Williams

And the Antonio Smith Trial Tells me why there needs to be a pardon for vigilantes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ederation.html

An Update

Paedophile hunter teams across Britain are aiming to form a national federation to work more responsibly within the law, it was revealed today.

The UK groups have formed over the past decade out of a perceived lack of action against child abusers - but face criticism amid claims they are lawless vigilantes.

However, most of the teams insist they work within the law and pass on all their details to police, before leaving cases to the legal system after an arrest is made.

Four teams from the Midlands and North of England have joined together on a job in Birmingham to track down and confront a suspected paedophile +4
    Four teams from the Midlands and North of England have joined together on a job in Birmingham to track down and confront a suspected paedophile

Volunteers posed as underage girls in online chatrooms, had conversations with the man and claimed he sent them explicit photographs and videos +4
    Volunteers posed as underage girls in online chatrooms, had conversations with the man and claimed he sent them explicit photographs and videos

Now, four teams from the Midlands and North of England have joined together on a job in Birmingham to track down and confront a suspected paedophile.

Volunteers posed as underage girls in online chatrooms, had conversations with the man and claimed he sent them explicit photographs and videos.

RELATED ARTICLES
    Previous
    Next

Rebel priest says he's being PUNISHED by the Catholic church...

Paedophile priest, 80, who sexually abused 27 young boys...
    SHARE THIS ARTICLE
    Footage broadcast on Sky News showed the teams confronting him in the city centre, saying they were making a citizens' arrest due to his 'online activities'.

The man apologised, but was told: 'No, no, no, we've listened to your conversations, we've seen your chats. Do you know what damage it can cause a child?

'You can damage these children for the rest of their lives. Don't start with the crocodile now, we're not interested.'

Footage broadcast on Sky News showed the teams confronting him in the city centre, saying they were making a citizens' arrest due to his 'online activities' +4
    Footage broadcast on Sky News showed the teams confronting him in the city centre, saying they were making a citizens' arrest due to his 'online activities'

Hunters from the groups Justice4Kids and Undercover and Exposed were involved in the sting, which saw police turn up later on and take the man away for questioning.

Just yesterday, a sheriff in Scotland warned paedophile hunters may need to be regulated after vigilantes caused an angry mob to besiege a sex offender's home.

It came after Kenneth Long was exposed as a child sex predator in an online sting in Armadale, West Lothian, orchestrated by a group known as the Wolf Pack.

When they turned up at Long's home in June, it attracted a large mob of locals -and one broke into his house, confronted his partner and set fire to a car outside.

Hunters from the groups Justice4Kids and Undercover and Exposed were involved in the sting, which saw police turn up later on and take the man away for questioning +4
    Hunters from the groups Justice4Kids and Undercover and Exposed were involved in the sting, which saw police turn up later on and take the man away for questioning

Sheriff Peter Hammond suggested that the activities of paedophile-hunting groups may 'require scrutiny and regulation' in light of the 'deplorable' scenes.

Also yesterday, Tyneside-based paedophile hunters Dark Justice said that the issue is getting worse despite four years of their efforts to entrap would-be abusers.

The duo who started in October 2014 said agencies were overwhelmed and sentences passed down to the men they caught out were becoming softer.

But having survived a serious legal challenge, the group insisted they will carry on their actions which have seen 163 people arrested, 82 convicted and 44 jailed.

If you're going to fill this sub with vigilante threads too, you need to link at least some of the social media that makes them "Social Networking Criminals".

If you don't have social media links for a case it doesn't belong here. This is a sub where the soc med accounts of criminals get linked so we can lurk on the shit they were posting.

If someone died it should go in the correct death sub OR if no-one is dead it goes in News & Current Events (or Weird & Bizarre if there's a crazy ridiculous/funny crime involved).

Most of these non-lethal "vigilante" articles you're posting should be going in the big "Vigilante Thread" that you made - & this isn't the first time this has been pointed out to you.

You have to understand that this isn't a "study of vigilantism" forum

I have personal interest topics too but I try to only post that shit in new threads 3-4 times a year max. The rest I keep limited to designated threads like the That's Racist thread, or Science & Tech. Even with my Exploding Whales thread I only add stuff every few years.

I do this so I don't annoy other members by flooding them daily with articles that barely anyone but me really wants to read & because the MDS forum is for discussing deaths, it's not my personal "Blighted's weird obsessions" archive.

There are plenty of places where you can start an archive of shit that you're fixated on - you could create your own Reddit sub, you could go to wordpress or livejournal etc.

I actually have something for this thread.

Here are some genuine Australian vigilantes.

Keep watching until you see nunchuck man demonstrating his amazing skills, the rest of the crew are raging dickheads too but he gives the most dramatic performance by far

Anyway, I meant to post the vid ages ago but must've forgotten. I'm posting it now because he was just in court on weapons charges stemming from his appearance on this show - & if he had to appear in court, his idiot neighbour of the death threats & poison tipped arrows must be going to court too

https://www.triplem.com.au/stuff/pub...eapons-charges
    Remember That Nonga With The Nunchucks On ACA? Yeah, He's In Court On Weapons Charges

That bloke who appeared on ACA flaunting his nunchuck skills is in court today on weapons charges.

Earlier this year, self-proclaimed 'vigilante' James William Read appeared on an episode of A Current Affair that focused on an apparent increase in home burglaries in Melbourne's southeast due to 'police inaction'.

In the video James displayed his sick as nunchuck 'skills'.

Unfortunately for old mate, their an illegal weapon in Australia.

Even more unfortunately for old mate, Victoria Police saw the episode of ACA and the next day search his house, finding five sets of nunchucks, summoning him to court on weapons charges.

James claimed the weapons were "martial art training aids used by his son", but the judge was having none of it, placing him on a 12-month good behaviour bond.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    I actually have something for this thread.

Here are some genuine Australian vigilantes.

Keep watching until you see nunchuck man demonstrating his amazing skills, the rest of the crew are raging dickheads too but he gives the most dramatic performance by far

Anyway, I meant to post the vid ages ago but must've forgotten. I'm posting it now because he was just in court on weapons charges stemming from his appearance on this show - & if he had to appear in court, his idiot neighbour of the death threats & poison tipped arrows must be going to court too

https://www.triplem.com.au/stuff/pub...eapons-charges

Well yes its great performance by the James Read here.

Another one!

VIGILANTE SEALS ATTACK FISH THIEF

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-...tland/10465608

Man rescued after scrambling more than 30m up cliff to avoid colony of 50 'aggressive' seals
    Updated about an hour ago

A close up of the face of a brown, hairy seal. The seal appears to have narrowed its eyes, as if out of suspicion.

PHOTO: It is believed the seals were protecting their young and became agitated by the man's presence. (Reuters: Mike Blake)

A fisherman has been rescued from a Scottish cliff face after scrambling up the rocks to escape a colony of 50 "aggressive seals".

Key points:

Man became stuck three quarters of the way up rock face

Coastguard lowered officer down on ropes to retrieve fisherman

Agitated seals were likely protecting their young

The man was walking along a beach in Green Stane, near Eyemouth, on Friday evening when he encountered about 50 seals and their young pups.

They "quickly became agitated and turned aggressive", according to a statement from the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

The man tried to flee the colony, scrambling up a nearby cliff to safety.

He managed to climb between 30 and 45 metres up the cliff before becoming stuck nearly three quarters of the way up.

"Realising his predicament, the man did exactly the right thing and called the emergency services using his mobile," the coastguard statement read.

A difficult rescue

Four rescue teams were called to the scene, enduring unfavourable weather and steep terrain to access the cliff.

A crew member was lowered roughly 27m down the rock face to safely retrieve the man.

PHOTO: Officers prepare to scale the side of the cliff to rescue the stranded fisherman. (Berwick Coastguard rescue team )

A lifeboat "quickly nipped in amid the seals" to collect the fisherman and coastguard rescue officer before retreating to the safety of Eyemouth Harbour.

"Anyone who encounters a seal or a colony of seals on the beach or coastline is advised to move away at the first sign of agitation," senior Coastguard operations officer Jonathan Mustard said.

"Aggressive seals are not a common occurrence and in this case they may have been protecting or defending their natural habitat and their young."

The man was uninjured by the ordeal, suffering only from minor cold exposure.

Seal feeding is a popular tourist attraction in Eyemouth Harbour ? not far from where the man was rescued ? with TripAdvisor reviewers praising the "resident seals" in the area.

The seals are attracted to the harbour by fishing boat crew discarding scraps and are known to approach humans for food.

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...opher+Williams

And the Antonio Smith Trial Tells me why there needs to be a pardon for vigilantes.
    How do you figure that one?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ong-house.html

It will end with Blame the Hero

A vigilante group that stormed the suspected home of a convicted sex offender with eggs and firebombs have been slammed for targeting the wrong house.

Residents in West Auckland have been left horrified after the 'mob' took to the quiet street to target Ronald Van Der Plaat, the New Zealand Herald reported.

Van Der Plaat was released in 2016 after spending 15 years in prison for raping his daughter Tanjas Darke and subjecting her to 'bizarre and depraved' sexual abuse fore more than 23 years.

Local residents have contacted police with grave concerns about Van Der Plaat's behaviour, with some claiming he was spotted in places he shouldn't be.

Residents in West Auckland were left horrified after the 'mob' took to the quiet street to target Ronald Van Der Plaat (pictured) +3
    Residents in West Auckland were left horrified after the 'mob' took to the quiet street to target Ronald Van Der Plaat (pictured)

With grave concerns for the community, a woman posted his photo and details on a local Facebook page.

'This post is not to start a lynch party but to protect the kids in the community,' the neighbour said.

The vigilante group then targeted the house, covering the fence in graffiti and throwing firebombs onto the roof.

But it was later revealed it wasn't actually Van Der Plaat's home and the woman had posted the wrong address online.

RELATED ARTICLES
    Previous
    Next

The ordinary home that hid a terrible secret: Quiet street...

Man who raped his wife because she gave him the wrong pair...
    SHARE THIS ARTICLE
    A woman who lives near the house said that although she dislikes Van Der Plaat, the group should have had more consideration for his neighbours.

'But to the mob that destroyed property, threw eggs and whatever else - have some consideration for the neighbours,' she wrote on Facebook.

'No one wants him here, but there's nothing anyone can do ... just please think before you go upsetting any more neighbours please.'

Ms Darke's horrific abuse began when his daughter, Tanjas Darke, was just nine-years-old and continued into her 30's.

Her father would keep her in bondage with handcuffs, chains and clamps.

He would put her head in a box with a padlock on it as he carried out the rapes.

Ms Darke was also held up to the ceiling by her ankles as her father repeatedly sexually abused her.

When Ms Darke was 12 she fell pregnant and caught a sexually transmitted infection after years of sustained sexual abuse.

Van Der Plaat has consistently denied the offending, and was released from prison in 2010 on strict conditions.

In 2012, he was sent back to prison after he was caught making an intimate visual recording of a young girl.

He was denied parole but was released on strict conditions in 2016, including not having any contact with anyone under 16.

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/cr...-sex-offender/

West Auckland residents are fuming after a vigilante "mob" descended on a quiet street to target a convicted sex offender - destroying property and leaving a mess of broken eggs and debris.

A concerned resident posted details of the sex offender on Facebook earlier this week.

Ronald Van Der Plaat is subject to an extended supervision order after his most recent release from prison.

He was jailed for 14 years in 2000 for raping his daughter and subjecting her to "bizarre and depraved" sexual abuse between 1983 and 1992.

The abuse began she was nine and living in Vanuatu, but Van Der Plaat was only convicted for the offending that took place from 1983 when they moved back to New Zealand.

Van Der Plaat, who has always denied the offending, was released from prison in 2010 on strict conditions.

But in 2012 he was recalled after he was caught making an intimate visual recording of a young girl.

He was denied parole repeatedly after that but was released at the end of his sentence - as New Zealand law requires - in May 2016.

The Parole Board imposed strict conditions for the first six months of his release.

Corrections then applied to the High Court for an extended supervision order with full time GPS monitoring for five years.

The order states Van Der Plaat is not to have any contact whatsoever with anyone under 16.

The Herald has learned that residents have contacted police recently, concerned about Van Der Plaat's behaviour.

One person who lives on his street said he had been seen in various places where they believe he is not supposed to be.

Concerned, she posted his photo and details on a community Facebook page.

Screenshots of the post and responses have been sent to the Herald.

"This post is not to start a lynch party but to protect the kids in the community," the neighbour said.

She revealed she had been in touch with local MPs about the issue of Van Der Plaat living in the community and his behaviour.

Her post included a photograph of Van Der Plaat, with advice on calling 111 if he was spotted in the neighbourhood.

Soon after it was posted a house in West Auckland was targeted.

A fence was covered in graffiti and "firebombs" were thrown onto a roof.

It is understood it was not Van Der Plaat's address - but the house was targeted after a wrong address was posted on social media.

"Yes the convicted pedo ... isn't worth the oxygen he breathes and I tell him my thoughts every time I run into him," a woman who lives near the attacked house later wrote on Facebook.

"But to the mob that destroyed property, threw eggs and whatever else - have some consideration for the neighbours.

"Waking up to eggs over your driveway is pretty sh*t to be honest.

"No one wants him here, but there's nothing anyone can do ... just please think before you go upsetting any more neighbours please."

The Herald has chosen not to name the street Van Der Plaat lives on.

Other West Auckland residents posted that they had seen him in other streets.

It will end with Blame the Hero

You consider a bunch of dumbasses who vandalized and firebombed the wrong house "heroes?" GTFO.

They deserve to be blamed. For being dangerous dumbasses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

https://www.visordown.com/news/gener...cking-him-bike

Wow this is crazy a vigilante who attacks a person who he accuses of being a thief gets sentenced to 7 years. But at the same time this becomes some road rage incident.

A VIGILANTE who launched a vicious attack on a motorcyclist after mistaking him for a bike thief has been jailed for nearly seven years.

After chasing the rider down residential roads, reaching speeds of 70mph, Steven Walden collided with the 19-year-old biker, seriously injuring him and flipping his own car in the process. The 22-year-old then set upon his victim with a baton, before instructing fellow vigilantes to leave the scene.

Southampton Crown Court heard that Walden, of Acacia Road, Southampton, and five others had received a tip-off via a Hampshire Constabulary supported Facebook group that a motorcycle had been stolen and was in Woolston.

The group, which met up once a month to scour the streets to find stolen motorbikes, set off in two cars, with Walden led the group's chase in a vehicle, which had fake number plates on it, before finding the rider.

Despite pleas from the others in the car to slow down and not knock the victim over, Walden struck the motorcyclist on Weston Lane in the early hours of July 19.

One witness, a Mr Wright, told the court: "His car rolled over and it seems that everyone got out and the first thing Walden did was get the [baton] out of the car and strike the motorcyclist who was lying on the floor in pain.

"He gave the [baton] to another of his friends and encouraged everyone to leave the scene and the motorcyclist on his own with significant injuries."

The court heard how the victim sustained a fractured skull, broken collar bone and a bleed on the brain as a result of the attack.

Mr Wright added that shortly after fleeing the scene, Walden contacted the police to say his car had been stolen, in order to make it appear that he hadn’t been involved in the incident.

However, he was arrested the following day on charges of with causing serious injury by dangerous driving, possessing an offensive weapon, perverting the course of justice, using fraudulent vehicle registration plates, driving without insurance and driving without a licence. He admitted the charges, plus that of causing actual bodily harm to a man who had become friends with his ex-girlfriend, at Southampton Magistrates Court on July 21st.

At Southampton Crown Court, Walden’s defence argued that he was unhappy with the current epidemic of bike theft and since helping out with a Facebook group dedicated to finding stolen bikes, had located more than 300 motorbikes.

But he added Walden would now be forced to leave Southampton after receiving death threats on social media.

Judge Christopher Parker QC branded Walden a "cowardly bully" and sent him to prison for six years and 10 months.

"You put the lives of the motorcyclist, yourself and your friends at risk...you speak of the people who support what you do [trying to find stolen motorbikes] but your actions caused this many a serious injury,” he said.

"What you did was plainly wrong and anyone who supports what you do should know that."

He added: "You are a cowardly bully."

Walden was also banned from driving for seven years and one month and will have to take an extended test if he wishes to drive again.

https://www.cheknews.ca/nanaimo-man-...ooting-507146/

It was a crime that shocked the neighbourhood.
    Three shots rang out on the morning of Sept. 29.

They were fired by 51-year-old Curtis Gaskell. He was an employee who helped look after a lot of moving trucks on Prideaux Street.

His boss says the trucks were a constant target of gas thieves.

“For the last six years, probably two to three times every week,” said Steve Ferenczi.

Gaskell was frustrated by the thefts which had been reported to police many times.

He borrowed a shotgun from a friend and that morning he waited for the thieves to arrive. When they did he fired two shots at their white sedan, shattering the car’s rear window.

He drove after the car, losing sight of it before firing a third shot into this white sedan.

This was not the same car. He had shot the wrong one.

“I was surprised that he had a weapon to shoot and I was surprised because I didn’t think he would ever do something like that knowing Curtis for years,” said Ferenczi.

Crown Counsel’s Nick Barber called it “a bizarre set of circumstances”, “a perfect example of why citizens shouldn’t take the law into their own hands”, adding it was fortunate no one got hurt.

Gaskell was sentenced to the minimum mandatory sentence for discharging a firearm with the intent to injure of four years in prison.

His employer says Gaskell was a great employee and he doubts he was trying to harm anyone.

He believes the sentence is too harsh.

“I notice that people are getting a lot less time for way more important charges so that really surprised me,” said Ferenczi.

Gaskell, who had been homeless, before starting this job six years ago was also handed a lifetime prohibition from owning firearms.

https://www.villages-news.com/sex-of...-the-villages/

A convicted sex offender who was the victim of a vigilante attack has moved into a home in The Villages.

Mark Alexander Tabor, 30, has has registered an address at 1577 Lemon Loop in the Village of Hillsborough.

Tabor admitted to molesting two young sisters while he was a guest in their home in Oregon in August 2011. He was sentenced in 2013 to six years in prison. He was recently released.

Tabor registered Tuesday with the Florida Department of Corrections. He will remain under supervision until 2028.

Tabor registered the 1577 Lemon Loop address on Thursday with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, which tracks sex offenders.

After the discovery of Tabor’s assault on the two young girls, two men, who were friends of the victims’ family, apprehended Tabor, armed themselves with a baton and a wrench and drove him to a campground where they beat him, according to a story in the Medford (Ore.) Mail Tribune. Tabor managed to escape and catch a ride to a gas station. From there he was taken to a hospital. He was arrested at the hospital after an investigation into the vigilante attack revealed Tabor’s sexual attack on the girls.

Tabor sexually molested the girls “in a violent manner,” the Medford newspaper reported. Tabor’s attacks included forcible kissing, biting, fondling and digital penetration.

The girls, at ages 13 and 14, gave statements in court at the time of Tabor’s sentencing. The judge praised the girls’ courage in testifying and promised to put Tabor away “for a long time,” the newspaper reported.

The vigilantes, who had clean records, were sentenced to probation.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oin-ranks.html

Vigilante mob becomes overnight ARMY as more than 1,000 new recruits join ranks to crack down on crime and street violence after hit the headlines
    Birmingham vigilante group 'We Stand Determined' has seen membership soar
    Just 24 hours after making national headlines, group grew to 1,500 members
    Organisers hope they will be able help tackle the issue of police budget cuts
    Group insists it is a non-violent vigilante organisation that will work with police
    By DANYAL HUSSAIN FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 08:54 EST, 16 November 2018 | UPDATED: 15:42 EST, 16 November 2018

shares

View comments

A vigilante mob made up of families frustrated with apparent police inaction has had its ranks bolstered by more than 1,000 new members in just 24 hours.

Created on social media just three weeks ago, 'We Stand Determined' is a group that patrols the streets of Birmingham day and night to record and report any criminal offences that take place.

Initially 400-strong, the group has seen its numbers swell to 1,500 after it attracted national headlines.

Two of the organisers of the We Stand Together group in Birmingham. They are silhouetted to protect their identity at their request +4
    Two of the organisers of the We Stand Together group in Birmingham. They are silhouetted to protect their identity at their request

Video playing bottom right...
    Click here to expand to full page
    ADVERTISING

Organisers Wayne, Tracy and Michael created the group after discovering a friend had been attacked in his home in Birmingham by thieves armed with hammers.

Wayne, 47, a college lecturer from Solihull, has never revealed his real surname for fear of retribution from criminals.

He now says that he is 'blown away' by the popularity of the group: 'We didn't expect to get such a huge response, but it just goes to show that we're not the only people that feel the need to come together and take care of our community.

RELATED ARTICLES
    Previous
    Next

Mother, 20, is accused of child abuse and taken to court...

Moment police are accused of 'SPYING on Sikh community' and...
    SHARE THIS ARTICLE
    'We've had members join from all over the world - Germany, Australia, China, America and the British Virgin Islands.

'We want to thank everyone for supporting us and we hope to continue to make a difference within our community and others alike.'

Another reason for the creation of 'We Stand Determined' was after a campaign to increase local police presence failed.

A police cordon was set up around the McDonald's restaurant (pictured) in Birmingham last night following a vicious attack +4
    A police cordon was set up around the McDonald's restaurant (pictured) in Birmingham last night following a vicious attack

The group now organise twice-weekly patrols across the city and insist that they are non-violent.

They claim to see a working partnership with the police rather than against them.

However, they believe that UK crime is getting of hand and something needs to be done to protect citizens.

London has been hit by a string of murders over the past year and Birmingham has also recently been blighted by a wave of stabbings, shootings and murders.

Wayne said: 'The way our group started, and the reaction we've had, has showed us how much local communities need groups like us to fill in the gaps the authorities simply don't have the funding for.

'There has been a recent spate of crime in Birmingham recently and Solihull in particular has fallen victim to an increase of just under 1,500 more cases so far this year.

Pictured: The scene in Great Barr, north-west Birmingham, where a man was stabbed in the chest in broad daylight over a failed car jacking +4
    Pictured: The scene in Great Barr, north-west Birmingham, where a man was stabbed in the chest in broad daylight over a failed car jacking

'People needed someone to turn to, someone who will listen and visit them in their home if a constituent is fearful for their own safety.

'We're vigilantes, but we're vigilantes with a twist, working within the law and not against it.

'Our group is a central place for the local community to come together to log crimes, comment and help stop crime in the area.

'I just want to make a big difference to the area, and help anyone, anywhere, who needs it. Crime here is getting out of hand.

A gang chase a victim with huge machetes and hammers on Trinity Road, Perry Bar, Birmingham, before carrying out a vicious attack +4
    A gang chase a victim with huge machetes and hammers on Trinity Road, Perry Bar, Birmingham, before carrying out a vicious attack

'We're so proud of our community, for standing up to what we believe is an ongoing issue that's yet to have a solution.'

Fellow organiser Tracy, 48, also insisted that 'We Stand Determined' is not against West Midlands Police, and understand that the force is limited by budget issues.

However, she admits that the group intends to solve the issue of cuts in policing numbers.

They plan to do more than just patrol and want to organise buddy systems for the elderly and defence classes for anyone who feels they need to be able to protect themselves.

They also hope to eventually have representatives based in every area of the country.

Tracy said: 'We stress to our members that if they see something, they should notify the police first.

'We would like to join up with the police, but we want to be able to make our own decisions on where the help is really needed, and not where the police tell us to be.'

A spokesman for West Midlands Police said officers were aware of multiple groups but advised members to join police-approved Streetwatch programmes instead.

ADVERTISEMENT

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/new...-police-probe/

COPS are hunting a maniac who attacked a thug tycoon’s ?1m home with a burning car.

The motor was reversed into the metal gates outside gangland associate Mario Rea’s mansion in Airdrie, Lanarkshire before being torched.

It’s thought the driver was picked up by another car which then sped off leaving a fireball.

The brazen attack using a stolen blue Volkswagen Passat happened just after midnight on Wednesday on the main road through Airdrie.

Rea 40, was at the centre of a Scottish Crime and Drug Enforcement Agency probe in 2008 and charged with drugs and money laundering offences – though the charges were later dropped.

https://www.malaymail.com/s/1694057/...brutal-justice

JAKARTA, Nov 16 ― It was just after dawn prayers when the caretaker at a Jakarta mosque noticed a man stealing from the donation box, prompting a furious mob to beat him to death ― for taking the equivalent of US$130 (RM545).

The lynching was one of hundreds of vigilante killings across Indonesia in recent years, highlighting a brutal trend driven by rising religious conservatism and low faith in a corruption-riddled justice system.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

Mob violence has also been aggravated by rapid urbanisation that brings together strangers from across the Southeast Asian nation in often poor, overcrowded neighbourhoods, raising stress levels and fuelling mistrust, observers say.

The lynching had echoes of the grisly 2017 murder of 30-year-old Muhammad al-Zahra who was set ablaze for allegedly stealing a mosque’s amplifier in the hardscrabble Jakarta suburb Bekasi, as onlookers cheered and filmed the scene on mobile phones.

As the electronics repairman pleaded for his life, insisting he was not a thief, the frenzied mob poured gasoline over him and took his life.

His widow, who miscarried their second child days after his death, told reporters that her husband often fixed damaged equipment ― including amplifiers ― before reselling them.

Half a dozen people were sentenced to between six and seven years in prison over the attack, as doubts about his guilt lingered.

‘Lack of trust’

Stealing from a mosque is seen by some as an attack on Islam itself, and helps explain the eruption of such violence in the world’s biggest Muslim-majority country, according to Heru Susetyo, a law professor at the University of Indonesia.

“(Many vigilantes) are Muslims who aren’t necessarily that devout, but they are easily provoked by these incidents,” he said.

“They are even willing to commit violence for the sake of ‘defending’ Islam.”

In the neighbourhood where the more recent attack happened, one man said he understood the desire to punish those who steal from a place of worship.

“(But) thieves should be caught and handed over to police,” said Sahanan, who like many Indonesians goes by one name.

Few in Indonesia, however, espouse any faith in the graft-riddled justice system.

“The main problem is a lack of trust in the authorities,” said Agustinus Pohan, a law professor at Indonesia’s Parahyangan University.

“Those with power or money get special treatment. That’s why people refuse to trust the police and decide to take matters into their own hands.”

Another factor is the disproportionate impact of theft on the poor, who lack insurance or a cushion of savings ― coupled with the relatively light sentences handed out to many petty criminals.

Culture of impunity

Indonesia’s government does not release figures on mob violence.

But according to World Bank data, the country recorded nearly 34,000 vigilante attacks involving serious injury or death between 2005 and 2014.

The eye-watering figures ― including over 1,600 killings ― were based on local media reports drawn from regions which are home to only about half of Indonesia’s 260 million people, suggesting that the real numbers could be even higher.

Sana Jaffrey, a University of Chicago doctoral researcher who led the World Bank team, said a range of factors were responsible for stoking mob violence, including poverty and a lack of trust in police.

But she rejected the notion that such attacks were spontaneous bursts of violence by a wild-eyed mob, saying they usually involved an element of planning and sometimes a powerful local figure.

In July, a gun-toting village leader in East Java reportedly encouraged seven men to attack a suspected motorcycle thief with sticks and rocks before his gasoline-soaked body was set on fire.

“The police only take action against vigilantes when the victim of the mob does not fit the profile of a criminal and the family protests or when there is an ethnic angle... and they fear escalation into a larger, communal conflict”, Jaffrey said.

Although mob violence usually rises in lockstep with social and political chaos, Indonesia, which has transitioned to stable democracy over the past two decades, has bucked the trend, Jaffrey said.

“More institutional stability and more (violence) ― these two things don’t go together in most parts of the world.”

‘Cooperation and respect’

Suspected criminals are not the only victims of mob justice in Indonesia.

This year, half a dozen men beat and stripped a young couple before parading them naked around their neighbourhood over suspicions the pair had premarital sex.

In Aceh province, which is ruled by Islamic law, public humiliations by citizen groups ― and sometimes even police ― have become increasingly common.

A viral video in April showed a young, unmarried Aceh couple being doused with raw sewage after they were seen alone ― an offence punishable by caning in the conservative province.

None of the young men who attacked them were punished.

Authorities say rising vigilantism is a grim indictment of Indonesian society rather than a reflection of their failure to deliver justice.

“These incidents show that the social system isn’t working well,” said Jakarta Police spokesman Argo Yuwono.

“We need to promote a sense of mutual cooperation and respect.” ― AFP
    In Indonesia

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/recor...nals-1-9452142

In the UK and going after offenders.

Thread Information