Thread: Derek Percy, Australia's Most Prolific Killer Paedophile, Forced to Testify on 1968 Child Murder

Derek Percy, Australia's Most Prolific Killer Paedophile, Forced to Testify on 1968 Child Murder

ETA ***** HUGE apologies to anyone already attempting to read this. It wasn't supposed to be this RIDICULOUSLY long. I've chopped lots, but it covers so many kids, & almost 50 years of investigation, & if I cut more I'll leave out something important. You could easily do 50 pages per case, so I guess this will do as an introduction for anyone interested in reading more -believe me, there's lots more material available including arguments for a number of other suspects & very recent controversy over the NSW Coroner's dismissal of a new & verified credible witness in the Simon Brook murder.

From http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-o...-1226540973009

Child killer Derek Percy could face new questions over the death of Linda Stillwell, 7

MARK DUNN, PAUL ANDERSON HERALD SUN JUNE 05, 2013 3:19PM

Linda Stilwell, 7, went missing from the St Kilda foreshore in August 1968. It is believed she is one of child killer Derek Percy's victims.

SPECIAL REPORT: THE mother of Linda Stillwell, murdered aged just 7, "can't stop crying" after hearing sex fiend Derek Percy will be forced to give evidence.

The child killer will finally be forced to answer questions about the 1968 murder after a landmark court ruling today that saw barristers in the case break down in tears.

The sex fiend could also be forced to give evidence about other unsolved child murders before a re-opened Coroner's inquest into the young girl's death.

In a landmark decision handed down by the Court of Appeal this morning and met by tears from barristers in the case, Derek Ernest Percy will also be forced to face a grilling in court about any involvement he is suspected of having in the brutal mutilation sex-killings of five other children - including the Beaumonts - across three states.

Jean Priest, whose daughter Linda Stilwell went missing in 1968, has never given up her battle for justice for her girl. Mrs Priest, 73, has waited almost 45 years to learn what became of her daughter, snatched from the St Kilda foreshore and never seen again.

"I just can't stop crying, its absolutely wonderful news,'' Mrs Priest told the Herald Sun.

"It's been all this time not just for me but for my whole family and we just want to find out that it is possible we can get some answers.''

Mrs Priest said the most important answer Percy could give would be to tell what he knows about what became of Linda's body.
    'We need to give her a burial, that is our main objective but just to know that he (Percy) has to finally face up to people, not just for Linda but what happened to all the other children (he is suspected of killing).

"This is just fantastic news, I feel the (Court of Appeal) judges have just given me a huge hug''

Deputy State Coroner Iain West, investigating Linda's disappearance, declined to use new laws to compel Percy to give evidence at the inquest because his apparent psychotic state in the 1960s might mean his evidence was unreliable.

Mr West made a formal interim finding that Percy, the prime suspect in the abduction, was in the vicinity of seven-year-old Linda on the day she disappeared.

Derek Percy is a suspect in the disappearance of the missing Beaumont children Jane, Arnna and Grant.. Percy is currently Victoria's longest serving prisoner who faces an indefinite term for the killing of Yvonne Tuohy several months after Linda disappeared.

Percy claimed he had no memory of killing children other than Yvonne, but told police he may have abducted Linda and was in the areas where others were taken.

Mrs Priest believes Percy has for years feigned a memory lapse brought on by psychosis in relation to the abductions of killings.

"I believe that he does remember and he needs to give us some closure, not that we will ever have proper closure.''

Mrs Priest thanked her legal team of Elizabeth McKinnon and Simon Gillespie-Jones and Detective Wayne Newman who picked up the cold-case file for their persistence in the case.

Both Ms McKinnon and Ms Gillespie-Jones were in tears at today's finding.

"Wayne Newman, the policeman that went after him, he just kept on going and going.''

Following reports in the Herald Sun, the Victorian government, through Attorney-General Robert Clark, vowed to indemnify Mrs Priest from an ever-increasing legal bill as she fought her way through the courts appealing the decision by Deputy Coroner West not to compel Percy to take the witness stand

The judgment may also mean Percy will face questioning about the deaths of:

SIMON BROOK, 3 Murdered May 18, 1968, at Glebe, Sydney. Percy stationed at nearby HMAS Kuttabul and travelled daily through Glebe. (Glebe doesn't have beaches but it's on the water & has docks).

ALLEN REDSTON, 6 Murdered September 28, 1966, in Canberra, ACT. Percy told police he was with his parents holidaying in Canberra at the time of the killing. Body found on creek bank.

LINDA STILWELL, 7 Abducted August 10, 1968, from St Kilda foreshore, Victoria. Coroner West has found Percy was in St Kilda the day Linda disappeared. Linda's body has never been recovered.

JANE, 9, ARNNA, 7, AND GRANT, 4, BEAUMONT Triple abduction January 26, 1966, from Glenelg Beach, SA. Percy's family confirmed to police he had holidayed in Adelaide and Percy admitted being there at the time of the disappearance. Bodies never recovered.

YVONNE TUOHY Murdered July 20, 1969, at Warneet, Victoria. Percy made full admissions and went to trial but was found not guilty by reason of insanity and sentenced to indefinite period in jail. He has remained there for 42 years. Body found near Ski Beach on Western Port.

MARIANNE SCHMIDT, 15, & CHRISTINE SHARROCK, 15 Double murder January 11, 1965 at Wanda Beach, NSW. Percy holidayed with his family in the area at the time. Bodies found partially buried in a sand dune.

In December 2009, Mr West commenced an inquest into Linda's disappearance and death.During that inquest, Ms Priest sought to rely on a number of statements made by police officers, a forensic pathologist and a psychologist that she submitted tended to demonstrate that Percy killed her daughter.

But Mr West deemed those statements irrelevant and ruled they be removed from the Stillwell brief of evidence.

Percy was called to give evidence at the inquest but objected on the basis of possible self incrimination.

Mr West ruled there were reasonable grounds for that and decided not to compel Percy to give evidence, partly on the ground that any evidence he might give could be unreliable.

"The coroner did not inform Mr Percy that if he gave evidence willingly he would be given a certificate of immunity in respect of that evidence," a summary of today's COA judgment stated.

The inquest was adjourned to allow Ms Priest to challenge Mr West's rulings.

A Supreme Court judge dismissed Mr Priest's challenge.

Ms Priest then took her fight to the Court of Appeal, where President Justice Chris Maxwell and justices David Harper and Pamela Tate this morning allowed the determined mother's appeal.

"The Court of Appeal held that the coroner was obliged to take into account most of the statements relied on by Ms Priest as relevant to the inquest into Linda Stillwell," the judgment summary said.

"It also held that the coroner was obliged to take into account the most recent medical evidence relevant to the issue of the reliability of Mr Percy's short-term and long-term memory.

"In addition, the Court of Appeal held that the coroner was obliged to inform Mr Percy that if he gave evidence willingly he would be given a certificate of immunity and the effect of such a certificate."

The judges directed that the inquest be reconvened.

Outside court afterwards, Ms Priest's barrister, Simon Gillespie-Jones, spoke of the family's happiness as Ms McKinnon wiped away relieved tears of happiness.

"The family is very happy and very relieved," Mr Gillespie-Jones said.

"The whole process has been very difficult for them."
    Last edited by blighted star; 06-18-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Simon Brook, 3 yrs

I'm posting an article on the murders &/or disappearances of each of the kids listed in the article above. It was years before many of them were linked publicly to Derek Percy & each one was a huge case in Australia's 20th century criminal history - many were never solved & families are still waiting for answers.

From http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...067277226.html

So many questions about what happened to Simon by Philip Cornford August 31, 2007

A FIEND murdered Simon Brook. Whether the killer was insane, what happened should have been beyond human countenance. But it wasn't.

Who would kill a three-year-old, a total stranger? For what reason, other than deviate satisfaction? Why mutilate the body with a razor blade?

These are just some of the questions detectives want to ask Derek Percy, whom a Victorian court considered to be insane but who is sane enough to stay silent, refusing at a coronial inquest to answer questions about Simon's death.

Despite this, the then NSW chief coroner, John Abernethy, came to the opinion in December 2005 that the evidence was sufficient to warrant the Director of Public Prosecutions laying charges against Percy. The DPP did not agree.

Today, as police seek to reopen their investigation, it is sobering to realise that Simon was killed 39 years ago. Percy, 59, is serving a life sentence in relation to the murder of a 12-year-old girl in Victoria a year later, but a death sentence was passed on Simon in Sydney on the morning of May 18, 1968.

It was a cold and windy Saturday in early winter. Simon was last seen in the front yard of his home in Alexandra Lane, Glebe, at 11.30am by his father, Donald, a doctor of philosophy and senior lecturer in arts at Sydney University.

An hour later, Professor Brook found the front gate open and Simon gone. He looked but could not find him. Later, police found witnesses who had seen Simon in nearby Jubilee Park, wearing a blue tartan jacket, orange trousers and red shoes. He was watching children in a playground but had not joined them.

A police search throughout the day and night was unsuccessful. As the search resumed the following day, a labourer arrived at a nearby construction site in Glebe Point Road about 7am. He found Simon's body in grass and scrub at the rear the building site.

"Holy Mother of God, I was frightened," he told an inquest. "I reeled back and I was sick. Such a dreadful, horrible sight. Only a raving maniac would have inflicted such cuts."

Simon had been suffocated by having two wads of paper thrust down his throat. Then the killer used a razor blade to cut his throat, stripping off his trousers to mutilate his lower body. The razor blade and its wrapper were found nearby.

Percy later told a detective who had known him at school that he remember driving past the Glebe murder scene on the day Simon was killed. Asked if he remembered killing Simon, Percy replied: "I wish I could. I might have. I don't remember."
    Last edited by blighted star; 06-18-2013 at 02:28 AM.

Allen Redston 6 yrs

Derek Percy linked to attacks on other boys amid Allen Redston murder investigation

SINCE young Allen Geoffrey Redston's body was dragged from the Yarralumla Creek on September 26, 1966, his murder has been linked to the evil child killer Derek Percy.

To this day the six-year-old's murder remains unsolved but the finger of blame is constantly pointed at Victoria's longest serving prisoner.

Percy was acquitted on grounds of insanity in 1970 for the torture murder of 12-year-old Yvonne Tuohy, who was taken from Warneet Beach, southeast of Melbourne, in 1970.

He has been detained ever since but his name has been associated with eight other murders and abductions going back to the mid-1960s, including little Allen Redston.

A RAN sailor at the time, Percy was in Canberra the year Allen's trussed up body was found in long reeds by a neighbour's dog.

The primary school student had been reported missing the previous day.

His body had been wrapped in a green and white floral patterned housecoat with a purple felt strap, knotted like a tie, around the buttocks.

A strip of khaki cloth was tied around his neck with a knot on the left side of the body.

His legs were doubled up underneath, and a long, thin plastic bag, stapled at both ends, was looped loosely five times around the neck.

A cotton rope was looped twice around his ankles and once around the wrist.

Medical evidence to the Coroner the following June suggested feet or hand movement by a frantic Allen could have caused his strangulation.

The housecoat was later identified as belonging to a local resident which had been left along with other rubbish in a nearby builders' dump.

The murder rocked the Redston family, which had moved to Canberra from Bendigo several years earlier.

His father, Brian Geoffrey Redston, had told the Coroner Allen, one of four children, was a high-spirited boy but with "nothing unusual in his manner''.

He said in the months leading up to his murder he'd had to speak to him about playing at the creek.

Allen didn't belong to any sporting or social clubs, spending much of his time playing with the boy next door.

On the day of his murder, Allen was seen by a neighbour, Shirley Gibbons, walking past her house with a five-year-old friend about 3.30pm.

"I was standing on my front lawn when I saw Allen walk by. He was eating an ice cream and his companion was also eating something but I don't know what it was,'' she told police.

"As he went by I said to him, 'Are you allowed to go away?' He said, `Yes, Mummy said I could go.''

The two then disappeared out of sight.

About six hours later, Mrs Gibbons heard on the news that Allen was missing.

Allen Redston's body was found tightly bound along a Canberra creek. Picture: Nationwide News She immediately went to the Redstons where she sat with his mother, Violet, while Brian and others searched the area, without success.

By the following morning the Redstons? neighbours and friends had joined the search for young Allen.

His body was found soon after.

Homicide detectives from Sydney were brought in to bolster the police investigation but their inquiries drew a blank

From http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-o...-1226363413646

Two boys come forward -

WAS the psychotic Percy loitering around Yarralumla Creek in Canberra when the unsuspecting six-year-old chanced upon him?

And was it Percy who ambushed two other young boys the previous month, tying them up in the same manner?

Fortunately, the boys survived to tell police and provide a description of their attacker.

The evidence against Percy as perpetrator is intriguing, but not conclusive.

Police have ascertained Percy was in Canberra the year young Redston was murdered.

But it is not known if it was at the exact time Redston's hog-tied body was retrieved from its hiding place in long reeds on September 26, 1966.

In the separate incidents involving the two other boys, they told police their attacker ranged in age between 15 and 17.

Percy was 17 when he visited Canberra that year.

Percy's sick diaries and notes found later by police tell of his violent sexual fantasies, including a desire to tie up his victims and choke them to death.

The surviving boys told police how their attacker rode a distinctive white and red pushbike.

Derek Percy as a teen in the 1960's

Percy was known to ride a bicycle with similar colours and would take it with him on family trips.
    Last edited by blighted star; 06-18-2013 at 05:25 AM.

The Beaumont Children - aged 9, 7 & 4 yrs of age.

On Australia Day, January 26, 1966 Jane, Arnna & Grant went to the beach & never returned. Their parents lost all 3 of their kids & there are still no clues to their whereabouts.

From http://www.beaumontchildren.com/

The disappearance of the Beaumont children in Adelaide in 1966 has become part of Australian folklore. Nobody under the age of 40 was alive when it happened, but few Australians today have not heard of the children. The disappearance is a tragedy that has become a cultural landmark in modern Australian history.

Jane, Arnna and Grant Beaumont left their home at 10am on 26 January 1966, to go to a beach. From their home in the Adelaide suburb of Somerton Park they caught a bus to nearby Glenelg beach. They were expected to return home on the noon bus, but didn't.

Between the time the children left home and the time that they should have left the beach to return, they were seen by at least seven people. Five of these people saw the children with a man, but the last, a postman, saw nobody with them.

Neither the children nor the man were seen again. In the following days and weeks a massive search was mounted for the children. Nothing was found.

A psychic named Gerard Croiset became involved, but despite massive publicity he failed to locate the children. He declared that their bodies were under the concreted floor of a warehouse. They weren't.

Two years after the disappearance of their children, the Beaumonts received a letter written in a hand similar to that of Jane, their elder daughter. Mr Beaumont was supposed to meet "The Man" for the return of his children, but "The Man" never appeared and nor did the children. Other leads have also proven false.

On Saturday, 25 August 1973, Joanne Ratcliffe and Kirste Gordon were abducted from Adelaide Oval in Adelaide and disappeared without trace. The description of their abductor closely matches that of the suspect in the Beaumont children disappearance.

At the Beach

At 10:10am on 26 January 1966, the Beaumont children caught a bus to go to the beach. The bus stop was on the corner of Diagonal Road and Harding Street, less than 100 metres from their home. The bus driver, Mr I. D. Monroe, later confirmed carrying the children on his bus. A woman passenger also noticed them, being able to recall later the colours of the clothes the children were wearing, and that Jane carried a copy of the book Little Women. The bus continued north-west along Diagonal Road, then north along Brighton Road before turning left to travel west along Jetty Road. From Jetty Road the bus turned left and halted at a stop in Moseley Street, only a short stroll from the beach. It was at this point that the children left the bus, at 10:15am.

The movements of the children for the next 45 minutes are not precisely known. Police believe that the local postman, Tom Patterson, saw the children walking along Jetty Road towards the beach at this time. Mr Patterson knew the children and they said "It's the postie!" 79 However Mr Patterson, trying to recall later, believed that this encounter happened in the afternoon, not the morning.

At about 11am, a 74 year old woman (Woman 1) was sitting in front of the Holdfast Sailing Club building on a bench under some trees. Woman 1 saw the three Beaumont children playing under a sprinkler on the lawn of the Colley Reserve. A man wearing blue swimming trunks was lying face down on the grass. He seemed to be watching the children. About 15 minutes later she saw the man frolicking with the children, who were flicking him with their towels.

Between 11am and 11:15 a school friend of Jane's also saw the children. She did not speak with them.

At around 11:45am the Beaumont children entered the nearby Wenzel's cake shop 77 and purchased some pasties and a pie, using a ?1 note. Mrs Beaumont was later adamant that she had given Jane only eight shillings and sixpence 78 . The children were due to catch the noon bus home in about 15 minutes.

At about 12pm, another woman (Woman 2, who had earlier seen Woman 1), was sitting on a nearby bench. The bench was also occupied by an elderly couple (Woman 3 and her husband) and the elderly couple's 10 year old granddaughter. A man and three children approached. The man matched the description of the man seen earlier by Woman 1. Woman 2 was later almost certain that two of the children were Jane and Grant. She was positive that the third child was Arnna.

With the children trailing, the man asked the four on the bench if they had seen anyone interfering with his clothes; some money was missing. They told him that they hadn't seen anything and the man returned to the children. Woman 3 watched them and saw the man dressing the children. She thought this odd, especially when the man pulled up Jane's shorts over her swimming costume, as Jane seemed easily old enough to do this herself. At a press conference eight days later, Mrs Beaumont expressed surprise at the same thing. She thought it almost impossible that Jane, a shy child, would have let someone else dress her. However, according to the elderly couple, the children seemed very friendly with the man.

Having dressed the children, the man then picked up a pair of trousers and a towel. Woman 2 said that he walked away with the children and passed out of sight behind the Glenelg Hotel. Woman 3 said that he went to the Colley Reserve changing rooms. By this time it may have been 12:15pm.

These were the last corroborated sightings of the Beaumont children, and police now consider the children to have gone missing at about midday on 26 January 1966.

They have not been seen since.

The website at the top has a huge archive on the case if anyone is interested in the twists & turns this case has taken over the last 46 years. Including a man from the U.S who came forward in 2012 claiming he was Grant Beaumont after finding "himself" on the Doe Network -

http://mobile.news.com.au/national-n...-1226253068555
    Last edited by blighted star; 06-18-2013 at 05:34 AM.

The Wanda Beach Murders, Sydney, 1965, Christine Sharrock & Marianne Schmidt, both 15 yrs

Another beach in January, this time Sydney NSW. Christopher Wilder, the Australian serial killer shot dead by police in the U.S during the 1980's, was a teenager when Christine & Marianne were, murdered. He was a suspect for a while, but many believe Derek Percy is responsible.

From http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/...-1226055735256

More than 45 years since the mutilated bodies of best friends and neighbours Marianne Schmidt and Christine Sharrock were found in the sandhills at Wanda beach, homicide police still regularly get calls naming various "killers".

Some of the tips are anonymous, but all are followed up.

"Wanda beach is one of those folklore cases," Detective Chief Inspector John Lehmann of the NSW Police cold case squad said.

From http://www.mako.org.au/unsolved-crim...-Sharrock.html

The last time Trixie Falzon went anywhere near Sydney's Wanda Beach, it was 45 years ago the day her older sister Marianne Schmidt and friend Christine Sharrock were murdered there. "It left a hole in my heart that I've never gotten over" says Trixie, who was at the beach with her sister the day she was killed. Now, for the first time, she's speaking out about the crime that remains one of Australia's most baffling murders in the hope of jogging someone's memory.

Mum knew that because the girls had been murdered, she could have lost all of us that day, Trixie, 55, says. It haunted her. It was January 11, 1965, when Marianne and their next-door neighbour Christine took Trixie and her younger brothers to Cronulla Beach. Marianne and Christine had trekked across the Wanda Beach sand hills on a recent trip and had been keen to do it again. Excited, the children packed their lunch and set off on the train, travelling south from their homes in West Ryde.

Dangerous seas and southerly gales had closed the beach to swimmers and sand whipped up against the children's legs. Marianne said they would go back to Cronulla where we had left our gear, and they found a place for us to shelter from the wind, Trixie says. "We were told to stay there until they returned." But in an odd move that still haunts Trixie, the two teenagers walked in the opposite direction, continuing on towards Wanda Beach.

My brother Wolfgang yelled out to them: "You're going the wrong way!" but they didn't stop."It was the last time Marianne and Christine were seen alive. An anxious wait - The other kids waited for the girls to return as the hours ticked by. "It was getting towards five o'clock," Trixie says. Peter, 10, said "we'd better go home. It was 8pm by the time we got in the door." Their older brother Hans, who had not gone to the beach, told their mother the terrible news that the girls were missing. Their nightmare had started.

The following day, a young man stumbled on the girls' bodies in the sand hills at Wanda Beach. Both had endured multiple stab wounds and sexual assaults, an attack so savage and frenzied that police refused to release all the details. Their killer, a psychiatrist opined, was young, cunning and given to sudden violence. But despite a massive police effort in the first few months, the trail grew cold. The family hunkered down with their grief. "They were terrible days," Trixie recalls. "We were all just stunned and shattered." Two months after the murders, Trixie told police about the "tall, 15-year-old boy" the girls had spoken to on the train. "Who was that boy??" she asks.

Trixie aged 9 with her brother & detectives at Wanda

Was it child killer Derek Percy? At the time the girls were murdered he was staying with his grandmother in West Ryde and he matches the description of the boy on the train. In 2008 police raided a shed in which Percy stored gear from prison, Trixie says. They found a lesbian cartoon on which he had scrawled the word Wanda. But he refuses to tell police anything.

If you have any information, call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Last edited by blighted star; 06-18-2013 at 05:06 PM.

DNA May Solve Wanda Murders as Technology Becomes Available

From http://www.mako.org.au/unsolved-crim...-Sharrock.html
    DNA clue could solve 47 year-old Wanda Beach murders

A blood spot may hold vital DNA evidence that could solve one of Sydney's most enduring mysteries. The blood, taken from the scene of the Wanda Beach murders 47 years ago, belongs to an unknown male and was gleaned from crime scene boxes after cold case detectives revisited the case. Now police hope new testing methods will give them a fuller profile and provide a breakthrough in the case. Teenagers Marianne Schmidt and Christine Sharrock were found stabbed and bashed to death in the sand dunes at Wanda beach, in Sydney's south, in January 1965. Despite a number of investigations over the years no one has ever been arrested for the murders of the two 15-year-olds from Ryde.

The Cold Case Squad was told to reinvestigate the case by Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione in 2007. The Cold Case Justice program located clothing belonging to the Wanda Beach victims, had crime scene negatives reprinted and reviewed all the evidence. A button and zipper were removed from one of the victim's shorts and a sub sample sent to New Zealand for DNA testing but the profile which came back belonged to one of the victims. Surprised that DNA profiles could still be obtained from a sample so many years old, officers decided to test a blood mark on the shorts that could be a knife wipe mark. A weak male profile was found. Assistant Commissioner Mark Sweeney, head of the forensic group, said: "We are optimistic that when enhanced with new techniques the DNA could be used against a number of known suspects. What it shows is DNA can be successfully extracted nearly 50 years later and science used to investigate new and old crimes."

Police are being cautious and at the moment it is believed the DNA markers are not strong enough for a conclusive comparison. However, testing methods are improving and the sample will undergo further tests as the technology becomes available. Police won't say if they have a suspect in mind to match the DNA against. However, other sources have revealed a number of suspects are still alive. "There is one in particular that I would love to see matched against any DNA we may get in the future," the investigator said. "Luckily he is incarcerated interstate and will never be released." Last year the Cold Case squad cleared more than 33 sex assaults and several murders committed as far back as the early 1980s.
    Last edited by blighted star; 10-28-2013 at 02:41 AM.

Yvonne Tuohy 12 yrs & Shane Spiller 11yrs, 1969

I should probably explain that Glebe where Simon Brook lived is near Sydney University in Sydney's inner city in the state of New South Wales which has it's own NSW Police, while Allen Redston lived 285km /177 miles away in the nation's capital, Canberra, which is part of the Australian Capital Territory & under the jurisdiction of the Australian Federal Police

From Wanda Beach near Sydney, to Glenelg Beach, South Australia where the three Beaumont kids disappeared is 1165km or 724 miles. South Australia of course, like all other states & territories (except the A.C.T) has it's own police force. None of them were paying too much attention to the seemingly unrelated crimes happening hundreds or thousands of km away. It wasn't until Percy was gaoled for Yvonne Tuohy's murder that his bizarre history & extensive travels became apparent.

This was another beach murder. This time in the state of Victoria & under the jurisdiction of the Victorian Police. Warneet, Vic. is almost 720km/ 445 miles from Wanda Beach, NSW & over 700 km/ 420 miles from Glenelg Beach, S.A.

Shane had a small axe with him & was able to escape & raise the alarm. They were a long way from help though & it didn't come fast enough for Yvonne.

Spiller disappeared in late August 2002. When police investigated they discovered that his 4WD vehicle was still parked at the front of his house. It is possible that the fear of Percy became too much and that he fled,or that he killed himself. Police sources are believed to have a different explanation for his disappearance, however. They believe he was murdered for his victim of crime compensation payout.
    Last edited by blighted star; 06-18-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Shane Spiller :Child Murder Witness, Adult Missing Person.

From http://www.australianmissingpersonsr...aneSpiller.htm

Shane was last seen in the NSW country town of Wyndham in 2002.

June 17, 2007 - The Age

TWICE in the winter of 1969, a little boy looked deep into the eyes of a young man called Derek Percy and got lost there forever.

The first time, that crisp Sunday in July, Shane Spiller was 11 and strolling down a dirt track at Warneet, on Westernport Bay, with his friend, Yvonne Tuohy. When they got to the beach at the end of the trail, they were going to make a little fire of driftwood and have a picnic lunch.

But Percy got there first. He grabbed 12-year-old Yvonne and pressed a red dagger to her neck. He told Shane to come, too, but the boy knew better than that. In his belt he had a small hatchet that he'd brought to chop firewood and now he waved it at the man and began backing away.

"Come back or he'll cut my throat," begged Yvonne. Instead, Shane sprinted 200 metres through the tea-tree scrub yelling for help. As he got to the road, he saw Percy driving away. He had Yvonne wrapped in a blanket.

The second time was at Russell Street police headquarters. Shane had been able to describe the car, an orange station wagon, and gave detectives a drawing of a sticker he'd seen on its rear window. It was a Royal Australian Navy insignia and pointed the police to the nearby base at HMAS Cerberus. They found Percy in the laundry, trying to wash Yvonne's blood from his clothes.

He took them to Fisheries Road, Devon Meadows, where he'd left her under some bushes. He had tied her wrists behind her, stuffed a balled cloth in her mouth, strangled her and mutilated her body and throat with long, deep cuts.

But now the detectives needed Shane to look into those killer's eyes again. They put him in a room where the 21-year-old naval rating with the long, narrow face had been placed in a line-up. "I had to pick him," he recalled later. "I had to walk up and point right at his nose."

After 30 years, he still shuddered: "The look he gave me ?"

The police were very pleased with their young witness. They had a sketch artist do his portrait and gave him a show bag of gifts. The newspaper photographers were happy, too. They'd captured a terrific image of the boy in his army-style jacket, epaulets and turtle-neck jumper, holding his steel tomahawk in both hands, his wide hazel eyes staring straight down the lens.

"And for all the world," remembers former police victim liaison officer Robert Read, "that was the end of Shane Spiller."

The world had a lot to distract it that day. On the moon, Neil Armstrong had taken a small step on to the Sea of Tranquility. But, as Read now points out, that was a word that would never again apply to Shane Spiller: "That little boy was traumatised for life by Derek Percy and by what he'd seen."

At his trial a year later, Percy was found not guilty on the grounds of insanity and sent to prison for an indefinite term. He is still there. Shane went home to Armadale and tried to resume his life. "He went back to school after the holiday and seemed to be doing all right," says lawyer Michael Clark. "The effects didn't really catch up to him until he was about 14 or 15."

From the beginning, he had trouble sleeping and grew afraid of the dark. His parents had been advised that he'd get over it and not to mollycoddle him. These were the days before trauma counselling, says Clark. "Back then, if you saw something you didn't like you bit your tongue and took it like a man. He wasn't able to do that."

He got lost in guilt, loneliness and fear and began drinking at 14. "He'd been a pretty good student but very quickly his results went from good to pathetic, he fell out with his parents, left school and basically went walkabout. From that time on, he was a wandering, lost soul."

One day, years later, and by then a heavy drinker and drug user, Spiller washed up in the little New South Wales village of Wyndham, in the hills and bush 30 kilometres west of Merimbula. It must have seemed the perfect place to escape to. The trouble was, he took Derek Percy with him.

WYNDHAM is a pub, a general store and a couple of dozen modest houses tucked into the dips and folds of the Mount Darragh ridgeline, between Whipstick and Rocky Hall. In the 1860s, it was gold country but now yields mainly cattle and timber, with some sidelining in small-plot cannabis plantations hidden in the surrounding national park.

Ever since he suddenly disappeared on Monday, September 9, 2002, what might have happened to skinny Shane Spiller has exercised the minds ? and imaginations ? of Wyndham. "It's a real mystery. Everyone still talks about it," says general store owner Bryan Hunter, the last person to see him alive.

That morning, Spiller had walked to the store from his two-bedroom shack around the corner to pick up his mail. A few days later, when worried neighbours broke into his house, they found his boots in the middle of the living room, dinner set for two on the table, his wallet, and his medications untouched. His motorcycle was locked in his shed. They called the police and joined in the search for him, on motorbikes and horses, checking old mine shafts and lookouts. Every so often they still go out looking, but have never found him.

What got him in the end, they reckon, was bad company. He'd become involved with "a bullshit scene" of morphine abusers, junkies and thieves. One in particular, who'd arrived not long out of prison, scared people: "A bad egg," says one. "Black, empty eyes," says another. When he first came to the pub looking for Stick, the barmaid told her boss: "If ever I've seen evil, it's just walked in to the bar."

For the second time in his life, Spiller had come too close to a killer. "We've bandied this about for years," says Tony Boller. "Somebody disappeared him, that's for sure." But however it ended, they insist, Derek Percy had already stolen Spiller's life all those years ago.

OVER 20 years, Robert Read has looked into the eyes of thousands of victims of violence. As head of the Victoria Police victim advisory unit, he has counselled survivors of rape, assault and armed robbery and families who have lost loved ones to murder and road toll. But in his scrapbook of hard memories, Spiller has a special place.

They first met in 1998, when he began helping Spiller seek criminal injuries compensation. Read liked the "loveable sort of bloke" from the start. "He was a knockabout sort of fella, a wild and woolly little character, very thin, with this big Ned Kelly beard. There wasn't much of him, probably more beard than anything. He was quintessentially a little Aussie bloke from the bush. But that was the facade. Underneath that he was a shattered individual and Derek Percy still controlled him. He was vulnerable and he was extremely fearful. Beneath the face of Shane Spiller lived a deep and dark cesspool of emotions."

And they were the baggage he carried when he drifted into Wyndham in the late 1980s. Next-door neighbour Andy Morris believes that from the time of his fatal beach holiday, Spiller had never felt safe again. Friends were asked to note the number plates of cars parked outside his home; he cut a trapdoor into his living room floor; and he slept with a baseball bat by his bed. He had become convinced that Percy would come after him or had put out a contract on his life.

"He was the most paranoid person I've ever met," he says. "Shane suffered all his life with post-traumatic stress disorder. There was this overwhelming dark cloud over his life and he was basically self-medicating with drugs and alcohol."
    Last edited by blighted star; 10-28-2013 at 02:37 AM.

Continued from Australian Missing Persons Register above -
    In mid-1998, Percy began moves to have his case reviewed by the Supreme Court of Victoria, seeking to be freed under recent laws relating to people serving indefinite "governor's pleasure" sentences. Of 46 people under such rulings, he was the only one held in prison and had become the longest-serving prisoner in Victoria.

Police had long been totally opposed to Percy's release, They began seeking statements from people who had been involved with Percy and Bega police were asked to contact Spiller. "It brought back all the memories and he went into stupefaction again," says his Melbourne lawyer, Michael Clark.

The police were so concerned they put him in contact with Read, who found him in utter distress: "In fact, he was almost out of control. He was utterly petrified of Percy. He'd had a wretched life."
    Read would telephone him at the Robbie Burns, where he had a regular seat at the end of the bar. In long night-time conversations, he says, Spiller poured out his heart. "Derek Percy had absolutely ruined his life. He took a young innocent and turned him into a runaway ? and it was Percy that he was running from."

Wyndham, with a floating population of less than 100, seemed a good place to run to. It was a mix of long-termers, logging workers and alternative lifestylers ? or as one local puts it, tree-cutters, tree-changers, drop-outs and dole-bludgers. "It's a different sort of place," advises a policeman a few jurisdictions away. "Real Deliverance country. It's out in the scrub and the banjos are playing."

They laughed at his hoarding and his constant tinkering in his yard full of car parts, old washing machines, bike and boat hulls and his never fulfilled plan to open a laundromat. And celebrated his skill and ? perhaps uncharacteristic ? fearlessness on his GSX1000 Suzuki. "He was a manic rider," recalls Bryan Hunter. "He'd scream past here standing on the seat, arms spread wide. He came off a few times, scraped off a bit of bark, but never really hurt himself.

"It's hard to say exactly what twisted Stick's whistle. He was a normal bloke in many ways, just a larrikin motorcycle rider who liked a beer and smoked a few cones too many."

In 2000, Read helped Spiller apply for compensation for his decades of emotional trauma. He was awarded $5000, but appealed to VCAT and received the maximum $50,000. It was more money than he'd ever had, but it couldn't buy him peace of mind.

Detective Sergeant Mark Winterflood from Bega police had helped track Spiller down for his 1998 statement. Every so often after that Spiller would ring to talk about Percy. Winterflood knew he was an alcoholic and that he grew and smoked a lot of dope. (after the bank sold Spiller's house, the new owners pulled out the ceiling and a bunch of rat nests fell out. They were all made of marijuana.)
    But he had a strange fondness for him. He was harmless, considerate and for the most part honest, he says. "He was an unusual sort of bloke. But he lived on the fringe ? and he didn't pick his friends very well."

Which turned into a problem when he became addicted to morphine. "He mixed with this circle of substance abusing people. Anywhere he could get morphine, through shonky scripts or other friends who could scam it, he'd grab it. People took advantage of him."

One of these people was Andrew Paul Kraaymaat, a 38-year-old who'd spent most of his adult life in and out of jail for a string of violent offences. He wasn't long out of prison when he came to Wyndham in 2000. He scared a lot of people, but was soon spending a lot of time at Spiller's.

In August 2000, after a night of drinking, Kraaymaat and a mate, Brian Peebles, "borrowed" Spiller's Nissan Patrol, purchased with his compensation payout, and rolled and wrecked it. Two nights later, the pair went on another drinking binge at Candelo, about 25 kilometres north, with another mate, Lee "Mick" Petrie. When it was over, Petrie was dead, with a filleting knife sticking out of his chest.

"The murder was three drunks in a room," says Winterflood. "Their alcohol readings were all around the 2.5 level ? Kraaymaat described himself as virtually paralytic. One of them winds up dead and the other two can't really remember what happened. But they're able to shove a plastic bag over his head, drive him to a lookout on Myrtle Mountain, pull him out of the back of a car and dump him there."

They were arrested after Kraaymaat had a rare attack of conscience. He phoned his mother and said he'd committed "a cardinal sin ? I've killed a bloke". Reverting to type, he added: "He was a mongrel bastard and he deserved to die."

Kraaymaat was sentenced to a minimum of 15 years for murder. Peebles, who turned Crown witness, was convicted of being a witness after the fact. But while he was locked up awaiting bail, some of his "friends" broke into his house.

"They've stolen his tools, his washing machine, anything of value," says Winterflood. "And one of the people he blames is poor old Spiller."

Peebles arranged for an associate to threaten Spiller. He rang and said he'd shoot him in the knee if he didn't name the thieves. Spiller immediately phoned the police. "The uniformed cop races around and while he's there, this bloke rings again and says, 'Me and my pistol are 15 kilometres away'. It wasn't real bright, but it caused him a lot more stress. No one was really out to kill him. But the fear played on his mind constantly."

In the years since Spiller disappeared, Winterflood has arranged searches, pumped out a flooded mineshaft at Devil's Hole, scouted the lookouts where he had his cannabis crops, conducted all the relevant death checks and checked immigration. This year he sent a brief to the NSW coroner.

"There's nothing. He's never accessed any funds. The bank chipped away at his savings and when that ran out they foreclosed and took the house."

He suspects there are two possibilities. One is that he suffered an overdose at someone's home and they panicked and hid the body. "What doesn't fit with that scenario is that Wyndham is such a small place where everyone knows everything and sooner or later the word would have got out.

"The other theory is that he's gone to a place of his choosing, a nice lookout or whatever, and done it there. Suicide."

Spiller had already made two unsuccessful attempts to kill himself. In the last, he pulled a plastic bag over his head and injected an overdose. His psychologist booked him into Bega hospital but after a few days he walked out. Not long after, he was gone.

But Read, who knows too well the lasting damage done by trauma, says the suicide scenario doesn't sit right. "This was a bloke who talked night after night of killing himself, but it never happened. If I was honest with my emotions and my intuition, I'd have to say I don't believe he killed himself. Something else happened to him."

Despite his fears, there was a bravery about Spiller, says Cox. "He was a very clever boy. Look what he did way back then. If it wasn't for Stick, that bloke could still be killing people."

Adds Andy Morris: "In a sense, Shane was a Derek Percy murder victim as well. To me, he was a very brave man. I like to picture him lying in a hammock with a banana daiquiri, that'd be heaven to Stick. But wherever he is, I just hope he's happy at last." He didn't deserve what happened to him but he does deserve to be remembered.

If anyone has any information about Shane please call Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000.
    Last edited by blighted star; 10-28-2013 at 02:35 AM.

I've gotten far too lost in these children's cases today. Awful.

The crazy thing is that as high profile as these cases were, & in Australia they're as well known as the Lindburgh Case, no-one had really heard the name Derek Percy until a couple of books by investigative journalists were released during the last decade. I've got the one by the journalist in the link I'm adding here. If you can get your hands on it, do - but be prepared. I've read crime books & forensic journals all my reading life. I've never read anything as cofronting & sickening as her book. Some of the descriptions that have haunted me the most came from prison staff discussing Percy's daily hygiene & sexual habits which are forever entwined with his rereading of his beloved & copious journals.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-nigh...ymurderst-bad/

Currently Derek Percy hopes to be paroled (which is partially how this thread came to be)

Derek Percy's High School years -

There was little violent crime in the town of fewer than 2000 people, no need to lock houses or cars. But in late 1964, a small crime wave began: women's underwear began to disappear from clothes lines — and DerekPercy was rumoured to bethe thief. Until then he had been a model student and a school prefect,but in 1965 his gradesplummeted.

Ernie Percy threatened to sack any hydro worker who suggested his son was the phantom "snowdropper", but by late 1964 at least two locals knew that Derek was the culprit and that he was much worse than just a petty thief. He was dangerouslydisturbed and, theybelieved,a potential killer.

On a warm Sunday, two teenagers, Kim White and Bill Hutton, walked to a local swimming hole. There they saw what theythoughtwas a girl in a petticoat. Then they realised it was Percy in a pink negligee.

"Well, at least it fits," one joked to his mate. But any humour was lost when Percybegan to slash wildly at the clothing, then cutand stabbed at the crotch ofa pair ofknickers.

Hutton could see Percy's face. "I would describe Derek's eyes as being full of excitement, a glazed look, but I recall there was something verycold and sinister in the look," hetold policemuch later.

The boys told a teacher the next day and were accused of making up stories. They confronted Percy but he denied everything. Most fellow students thought their story was fabricated. After all, Percy was the obedient student and his accusers loved a little mischief.

The following year Ernie Percy took a job with the Snowy Mountain Scheme and moved his family to Khancoban in NSW, but to allow Derek to finish school at MountBeauty theteenager boarded with another family.

The woman who lived next door remembers how the new boarder would watch her hang out washing. One Saturday she tookher daughters,then aged seven and nine, to visita relative. When they returned theyfound the girls'wardrobes had been rifled through and their underwear and dresses stolen.

The mother reported the theft to the police, who asked her if she suspected anyone. She suspected Percy but did not want to say so, she admitted years later.

A few weeks later a local found some of the dresses in a bundle hidden under some bushes. With it was a girl's doll, with the eyes "blinded" and newspaper clippings of women in bikinis. The women's eyes were pencilled out and the bodies mutilated with razor blades. The slashes would match some of the wounds inflicted on the children murdered around Australia in the1960s.

The blinded doll belonged to the girl nextdoor to where Percy was living.

Percy moved from Mount Beauty to join his familyin Khancoban after he failed hisexams in 1965, a strange result for a student with an IQ of122.

In his entry in the Mount Beauty school magazine he revealed a little of his concealed thoughts. His favourite saying was: "It depends." Perpetual occupation: "Isolating himself." Ambition: "Playboy." Probable fate: "Bachelor." Pet aversion: "Girls."

When Percy leftMount Beautythe "snowdropping" stopped, only to begin near his new home in Khancoban. There were also reports of a Peeping Tom.

While at Khancoban a neighbour found that Percy had lured her six-year-old daughter into the family caravan to sexually assault her. The girl's father decided to deal directly with Ernie Percy, who promised it wouldn't happen again. And it didn't. At least not there.

While both parents said they thought their eldest son was shy but normal, deep down they had growing fears.

One Mount Beauty local said that while Mrs Percy allowed her middle son freedom, the elder brother was kept on a tighter rein. "Derek had to get permission to go anywhere with us outside of school hours and she would question his intentions."
    From http://murderpedia.org/male.P/p/percy-derek.htm
    Last edited by blighted star; 10-28-2013 at 02:32 AM.

This new century wasn't much kinder to Shane's friend Yvonne -
    A LITTLE girl who lost her life at the hands of evil sex killer Derek Percy may also lose her final resting place.

For 41 years the cremated remains of 12-year-old Yvonne Tuohy have laid in peace below a rose bush at Springvale cemetery.

But the Banksia Garden, where her ashes were buried, is to be dug up and her remains will be irretrievably scattered in the grounds unless a fee of $1150 is paid to keep them at their current location, in perpetuity.

Yvonne's ashes were buried there in 1969 after her shocking death rocked Australia.

But the memorial site held only a limited tenure of 25 years.

Attempts by the Springvale Botanical Cemetery to contact Yvonne's relatives to offer perpetual - "for all time" - rights to the resting place have been unsuccessful.

Her plot expired in 1995 and is overdue to be dug up, her ashes scattered and her small memorial plaque removed and melted down.

Cemetery chief executive Russ Allison said unless family members or a "white knight" transfered the plot to perpetuity "the memorial will be 'disestablished' and the cremated remains irretrievably scattered within the grounds".

Mr Allison said about 25,000 sites at Springvale had expired tenures and 2500 each year were "dis-established" (dug up) and scattered as the cemetery expands and takes in more remains.

A childhood friend of Yvonne's, who saw her only an hour before she was abducted, wants some of the thousands of dollars given to Percy in jail each year to be used to give some lasting dignity to his innocent victim.

"I haven't had contact with any of the Tuohy family for a long time," the woman said.

"I was supposed to be with Yvonne on the day she died and I'm lucky I wasn't, otherwise I wouldn't be here.

"We stopped the car and they (Yvonne and her friend, whose name is suppressed by court order) said come out with us to the beach.

"But I had to go home for lunch first, otherwise I would have been with them."

Percy, 62, was found not guilty by reason of insanity over the grisly mutilation killing of Yvonne at Warneet, near Westernport Bay, and he has been in jail ever since.

The Herald Sun last week reported Percy receives up to $20,000 a year in superannuation benefits courtesy of his medical discharge from the navy after a career of less than two years.

"With all the money Percy has been getting from the government, he should pay for Yvonne's final resting place," the woman said.

Given the brutality and notoriety of the killing, the Tuohy family moved from the area and have spoken little since the killing.

The cemetery trust has been unable to contact them at their last known address.

Derek Percy has accrued a bank balance of over $200, 000 at the time this page was created -
    http://murderpedia.org/male.P/p/percy-derek.htm

It is believed he may have used some of the money to pay lawyers at his various court hearings and reviews. He reportedly has also invested in gold from prison.

His total pension to date (at time of writing) was almost four times that awarded to the man who helped jail him, Shane Spiller.

Jan 2013, From http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-o...-1226564593191
    SPECIAL REPORT: GOVERNMENT lawyers have knocked back a bid to strip child killer Derek Percy of hundreds of thousands of dollars in on-going navy pension payments, because of his constitutional rights.

Percy, who murdered 12-year-old Yvonne Tuohy and is suspected of up to eight other child abductions and murders in the 1960s, spent less than 20 months in the navy but has received a pension of up to $20,000 a year during the 43 years he has remained in prison.

But new laws to strip Percy of his military pension were scrapped after legal advice found the Federal Government had a constitutional obligation to give him "just compensation" because he had not been convicted because a court found him insane at the time of Yvonne's murder.
    ** He is no longer considered insane. He's held in prison, not a psychiatric facility. If he finally stands trial for just one of these other murders, he may be stripped of his pension if convicted. From what I could find, someone else volunteered & paid for Yvonne's memorial when no living family could be located.
    Last edited by blighted star; 10-28-2013 at 02:29 AM.

This is an article from 2007 so it completely predates the articles above but it's got quite a lot of detail not covered anywhere else re exactly what sort of material he's been stockpiling in his huge collection of private journals -

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news...787944205.html
    Derek Ernest Percy, the man detectives say is Australia's worst child killer, plotted to abduct the younger sisters of one of his closest friends, a fresh police investigation has found.

Percy, was arrested in July 1969 for the murder of Yvonne Tuohy, 12, whom he abducted from Ski Beach at Warneet. He was found not guilty on the grounds of insanity and has remained in custody since.

During (a) fresh investigation, codenamed Operation Heats, police found evidence that Percy planned to abduct and murder two sisters aged eight and 10 from his home town of Mount Beauty.

They discovered Percy returned to Mount Beauty in 1968 while on leave from the navy and stayed at his friend's family home. His friend, a former schoolmate, had become a teacher and moved to another town.

They interviewed the girls' younger brother, now aged in his 40s, who told them Percy had taken him aside to question him about the sisters.

The witness, then aged six, said Percy asked sexually explicit questions about his sisters that he did not understand at the time.

When Percy was arrested at the Cerberus navy base after he killed Tuohy, police found his diary that showed his plans to torture and abuse children. The diary named the two sisters and detailed his plans to grab them at the Mount Beauty pondage, just streets from where they lived.

He planned to grab one or both of the girls after they played basketball or when returning home from church. "Go down below the lake and meet her on way. Tell her my car is bogged down there and I want help. Get her in car and take her to place." His note then listed the supplies he would need when he went to the "place".

An inquest on Simon Brook found sufficient evidence against Percy to refer the case to the NSW Director of Public Prosecutions to consider charging him with murder.

The findings from Operation Heats will be handed to Victorian Coroner Graeme Johnstone for an inquest on Linda Stilwell's death. Percy will be invited to give evidence at the Stilwell inquest but is expected to refuse on the grounds of self-incrimination.

Police have found a witness who says she saw Percy with a young girl she believes was Stilwell in St Kilda on the day she disappeared.

Linda Stilwell's brother, Gary, says he will write to Mr Johnstone urging him to open the inquest as soon as possible. "For all these years we have felt as if we have been forgotten, but now we may finally see the face of the man responsible," he said.

Linda Stillwell (right) with her older siblings.
    Last edited by blighted star; 10-28-2013 at 02:26 AM.

Percy Dying Of Cancer. Coroner's Court Inquiry Into the Murder of Linda Stilwell Convened At Hospital

Derek Percy Dead - Victims Families Left With Nothing -Claimed "I Can't Remember" Til The End

This is awful. All these elderly people reliving the murders of their children after 50 with no justice.

Simon Brook would be 48 years old today, had he not been lured from his Glebe home to a nearby park in 1968, when he was three years old.

No one has ever been convicted of murdering the toddler, whose body was found off Glebe Point Road the next day, but his parents Donald and Phyllis Brook aren't looking for answers any more.

They know that Derek Ernest Percy was responsible.

Simon's parents, Phyllis and Donald Brook, leave the Glebe Coroner's Court during the 2005 inquest into their son's death. Photo: Robert Pearce

"We don't need any more information about Simon, we know what happened to him," his father, Professor Brook, said.

that we didn't know. As to his motivation, he might have said something about that but heaven knows what. He was an awful person and the fact he is now dead is good because we wanted to be certain this would never happen to another child."

Percy was kept in custody for life after being found not guilty by reason of insanity of the abduction and murder of Yvonne Tuohy, 12, from a Melbourne beach in 1969.

He was linked to the deaths and disappearances of nine children, including Simon in 1968 and 15 year-old neighbours Christine Sharrock and Marianne Schmidt on Sydney's Wanda Beach in 1965.

Detective Chief Inspector John Lehmann, from the NSW Unsolved Homicide Team, was in touch with his Victorian counterparts. They questioned Percy several times from his hospital bed in his last week, but they gleaned no new information.

"It certainly closes a chapter in a notorious episode of crime in Australia ... but it doesn't necessarily close a chapter in our unsolved homicide cases and we'll keep pursuing those cases until someone is brought to justice," he said.

Simon, who had earlier been spotted in Jubilee Park after going missing from his home, was found with wads of newspaper stuffed down his throat, his throat slit with a razor blade, his trousers removed and his lower body mutilated.

Witness descriptions of men in the park matched those of Percy and when asked by a detective and old school friend if he remembered killing Simon, Percy replied: "I wish I could. I might have. I don't remember."

A 2005 inquest was halted after two days and referred to the DPP for murder charges but the DPP found insufficient evidence to proceed.

In 2011, Professor Brook made another pitch to the DPP for murder charges because he feared Percy would be released on parole, free to attack another child.

"The thing about the lapse of time in relation to grief is not that grief diminishes it, just that it comes upon one less frequently," he said on Wednesday. "It's still there in just the same. The only thing that's gone away is the danger of Percy to small children."

He sympathised with the families of Christine Sharrock and Marianne Schmidt, who were stabbed and murdered in the dunes of Wanda Beach.

Percy was staying with his grandmother in Ryde just a kilometre from the Sharrock and Schmidt homes at the time and matched a description of a young man who tried to talk to the pair on a train.

In 2008, police raided a shed of Percy's belongings, finding a lesbian cartoon with the word Wanda scrawled on it and a note referring to "baby under three" with a severed penis.

Last year, it was revealed that a blood stain taken from the scene returned a faint match to a male but Inspector Lehmann said forensic analysis was ongoing and there was no breakthrough.

Marianne Schmidt's sister Trixie Falzon told a magazine in 2010 that the unsolved murder had "left a hole in my heart that I've never gotten over".

"I'd ask her killer: 'Why did you do it?' " she said. "They were innocent young women."

Correction: The original version of this story said Percy passed away aged 62. He was 64.
    Last edited by blighted star; 10-28-2013 at 02:15 AM.

wtf @ her plot "expiring". A memorial site with an expiration date, I have never heard of such a thing. Is this common?

Police say the only remaining hope for answers lies in questioning Percy's relatives or in locating mored of Percy's revolting written fantasies. From an earlier article -

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...067191684.html
    .... Police discovered 35 boxes of files, clippings and handwritten diaries concealed by Percy in a South Melbourne self-storage warehouse that he has rented for 20 years. They also found razor blades similar to one used to mutilate a victim. The material includes newspaper articles on sex crimes, pictures of children, a video with a rape theme and handwritten stories on fresh sex offences involving abduction and torture. Percy managed to collect and transfer the material from jail to his private collection, despite being one of Australia's most violent sex criminals and judged too dangerous for release. Police now know that Percy, a former naval rating, has maintained storage facilities in Melbourne since the early 1970s.

He was ordered to remain in custody indefinitely when found unfit to plead on the grounds of insanity for the murder of Yvonne Tuohy, 12, who he grabbed from the beach at Warneet, south-east of Melbourne, on July 20, 1969. He is also a suspect in the murders of Christine Sharrock and Marianne Schmidt on Wanda beach in January 1965; the disappearance of the Beaumont children, Jane, 9, Arnna, 7, and Grant, 4, in Adelaide in January 1966; the murder of Allen Redston, a six-year-old grabbed in Canberra in September 1966; Simon Brook, 3, killed in Glebe in May 1968; and Linda Stilwell, 7, abducted from Melbourne's St Kilda foreshore in August 1968. The bodies of Christine Sharrock and Marianne Schmidt, two friends aged 15 from West Ryde, were found in the dunes of windswept and deserted Wanda beach the day after they disappeared......

..... In 1998, when Percy began legal moves to seek his freedom, the Supreme Court was told that "since 1971 Mr Percy has never written anything which could be indicative of any sexual fantasy". But the discovery of the secret storage holdings show that after the material was discovered in his cell Percy began to hide his writings and clippings by sending them out of the prison. Police say the evidence inside his private warehouse indicates Percy has not changed but chose to hide incriminating material that would destroy his hopes for release. "If he has stored them he must believe he will get out so he can recover them," a senior policeman said.

Police now know that Percy has moved material from prison since the early 1970s - first to a rented lock-up in the Melbourne suburb of Pascoe Vale, and for the past 20 years, to a self-storage unit in South Melbourne. The documents, kept in tea-chests and cardboard boxes, include material that police say may implicate Percy in the murders of Linda Stilwell and the Wanda beach victims. They have found a 1978 street directory where a line has been drawn through the St Kilda Pier where Linda Stilwell was abducted 10 years earlier and a pornographic lesbian cartoon on which Percy has written the word "Wanda" across the top......

When he was arrested in 1969 police found Percy had maps of the areas where Linda Stilwell, Christine Sharrock and Marianne Schmidt and Simon Brook lived or were murdered. In 2005 the NSW Coroner, John Abernethy, held an inquest into the murder of Simon Brook. Percy refused to give evidence on the grounds of self-incrimination. Some of Percy's writings, including those seized in South Melbourne, detail abducting a young boy and inflicting similar injuries to those found on Simon Brook's body.

Police also found in Percy's collection a kit filled with old-style razor blades, the same type used to mutilate the young victim. Mr Abernethy referred the case to the NSW Director of Public Prosecutions to see if there was sufficient evidence to charge Percy, but the DPP has decided not to proceed. Victoria's Coroner, Graeme , is now set to open an inquest into the murder of Linda Stilwell. Percy will be the only known suspect. Mr Johnstone will also examine material that links Percy to the interstate cases. Police believe the storage boxes contain Percy's possessions at the time of his arrest, material smuggled from jail in the 1970s and official documents, including court records that have been legitimately transferred over the past two decades.

Earlier this month a court in Victoria found officially that Linda Stilwell had been murdered. The magistrate, Susan Wakeling, granted the Stilwell family an application for crime compensation. Percy has received a navy pension since his arrest, has nearly $200,000 in the bank and has successfully invested in gold. He has used part of his income to rent the South Melbourne storage area. Among the items seized by police was an extensive stamp collection valued at several thousand dollars compiled while Percy was in prison. __________________
    Last edited by blighted star; 10-28-2013 at 02:12 AM.

There's a bunch of articles being rushed through on Derek Percy since his death.

Percy, who has never been convicted of a murder, had been serving time in jail after being found not guilty on the grounds of insanity over the brutal killing of Yvonne Tuohy more than 40 years ago.

http://mobile.news.com.au/national-n...-1226684423142
    DNA taken from child killer Derek Percy before his death is to be compared to a sample found at the crime scene of the Wanda beach murders. NSW police have confirmed Percy provided DNA to Victorian Police several months ago when he knew he was dying. "That DNA was made available to us to use in the on going Wanda beach case,'' said Detective Chief Superintendent John Lehman head of the NSW Unsolved Homicide Unit.

It was revealed last year that a DNA sample was taken from a blood smear found at the scene from the murders 47 years ago. "The sample is very old and degraded and a lot of work needs to be done by the lab,'' said Detective Lehman. Teenagers Marianne Schmidt and Christine Sharrock were found stabbed and bashed to death in the sand dunes at Wanda beach, in Sydney's south, in January 1965. Despite a number of investigations over the years no one has ever been arrested for the murders of the two 15-year-olds from Ryde.

Many suspected Percy, 64, as a prime suspect in their murders as well as the unsolved murders of six-year-old Alan Redston in Canberra in 1966, three-year-old Simon Brook in Sydney in 1968, and the disappearance of the three Beaumont children in Adelaide in 1966. "The Simon Brook case is an ongoing investigation,'' Detective Lehman said. "Percy was brought before the coroner in 2005 at the inquest into Stephen Brooks death but refused to answer questions.'' Victoria's longest-serving prisoner died at 2am this morning at the age of 64. ####
    Last edited by blighted star; 10-28-2013 at 02:11 AM.

Got the article on his mother -

Derek Percy's mother Elaine admits she 'got rid of things' as cops investigated child serial killings

Derek Percy, as he appeared in a police mugshot not long after his arrest. Picture: Supplied. Source: Supplied

THE elderly mother of child killer Derek Percy allegedly admitted she "got rid of things" when police began investigating her son's crimes.

Suspected serial killer Percy, who abducted and murdered 12-year-old Yvonne Tuohy in 1969, died yesterday morning without making the death-bed confession the families of up to eight other victims had hoped for.

But author and TV producer Debi Marshall - one of the few people Elaine Percy has spoken to about her eldest child's evil acts - urged the elderly woman to speak out if she holds answers for any of those grieving families.

"I think his mother remains the only hope," Ms Marshall told the Herald Sun.

POTENTIAL EVIDENCE: Percy DNA tested before his death

Percy was a suspect in the murders of Christine Sharrock and Marianne Schmidt in Sydney in 1965; the three Beaumont children in Adelaide in 1966; Allen Redston in Canberra in 1966; Linda Stilwell in St Kilda in 1968; and Simon Brook in Sydney in 1968.

COMMENT: Percy's death won't end his evil

1969. 11 year old Shane Spiller with his tomahawk after trying to ward off Derek Ernest Percy, who murdered his friend, 12 year old Yvonne Tuohy. Murder. Picture: Supplied

Ms Marshall said that she met with Mrs Percy several times while researching her book, Lambs to the Slaughter.

During one meeting Mrs Percy allegedly told her she "got rid of things" relating to her son, who began to attract the attention of authorities as a boy when he started stealing underwear and mutilating dolls.

UNSOLVED CASE: Families rocked as Percy takes secrets to grave

Ms Marshall said she hoped Mrs Percy would tell police if she knew anything at all that could ease the pain of the families.

"How can these families move forward? They need answers, and deserve them," she said.

The coronial inquest into Linda Stilwell's death in 2009 was told Mrs Percy, who now lives in Queensland, may have destroyed some of his notes.

The memorial plot of Yvonne Tuohy, 12, who was killed by child sex fiend Derek Percy in 1969. Picture: HWT library

But coroner Iain West ruled he would not subpoena her to give evidence.

EVIL MONSTER: Percy's secrets haunt mum

During one of Ms Marshall's visits, she says Mrs Percy telephoned her son in jail and put to him the names of the missing and dead children he is suspected of killing.

When she got to Simon Brook, aged 3, Percy denied responsibility as he had done with each of the other suspected victims.

"She said, "I don't believe you, son'," Ms Marshall said.

But Mrs Percy, now in her late 80s, has always maintained she knew nothing of Percy's offending.

Percy was a rare beast, a sadistic paedophile the likes of which few experts had ever seen in Australia.

In 1970 a jury found him not guilty of murdering Yvonne Tuohy on the grounds of insanity, meaning he would be locked up until deemed fit for release.

FIGHT FOR JUSTICE: Percy was to be forced to give evidence

But a 2009 Supreme Court hearing was told Percy suffered no mental illness. He was assessed as remaining a high risk to children at his last court bid to be moved from prison to a secure institution.

He kept detailed diaries and writings of his sick fantasies, described by those assessing him as "chilling" and "among the worst" they had ever seen.

TIMELINE: Child killer's disturbing history

Some of his written fantasies were identical to the horrific acts he is known to have carried out in killing Yvonne Tuohy, and what was done to three-year-old Simon Brook.

A huge cache of Percy's vile writings, drawings and newspaper clippings was found in a South Melbourne storage unit in 2007. It is unknown how he managed to move the material from prison to the storage facility.

UNANSWERED QUESTIONS: Did Percy kill little Allen Redston?

He told a police officer after his arrest that he'd had "sordid thoughts" towards children while visiting beaches in the past, and agreed that he might have acted on his urges had the children been alone.

But Percy told detectives investigating the other child abductions and killings that he could not remember whether he committed the crimes.
    I don't see why she shouldn't have to testify. She covered for him his whole life to keep up appearances.

I don't think we have a thread for the Beaumont Kids. They get a mention in here & in a couple of other threads, but I think this one has the most background.

So I'll post this here because it's probably another false lead.

This case is extremely high profile in Australia & it has a long history of "Beaumont Mystery Solved" headlines.

This one looks more like a media beat up than most because it "just happens" to be the 50th anniversary of their disappearance on 26th Jan.

But anyway, if it turns it's finally for real, I'll make them their own thread
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information