Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Blaze Bernstein (19) was strangled by Sam Woodward (20) and an investigation is ongoing

Quote Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
    Hearing the killer's parents brought a priest with them.
    Maybe dad's Jewish, or maybe they're active in knterfaith works? That is interesting, though.

The priest was sure to talk about how the killer went to mass and took communion (a few days before he murdered someone, how kewl of him).

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    The OC Register has been around for more than a century. They published information from the police about what the suspect said. It would be inappropriate for them to include rumors and information they can’t verify. None of that is victim blaming.
    I'm not going to argue about it. Like the stupid paper, don't like it, I'm not getting a subscription.

The priest was sure to talk about how the killer went to mass and took communion (a few days before he murdered someone, how kewl of him).
    I got nothing. That's fucking weird and grossly inappropriate.

Wait, wait. Okay. I thought you meant a priest was with Blaze's family, not the killer's. Still don't know why it's important or appropriate to note that he took communion before he TOOK ANOTHER HUMAN BEING'S LIFE.
    Hey, father. Don't think the wafer worked.

Man, is it a full moon or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by Josephine View Post
    I got nothing. That's fucking weird and grossly inappropriate.

Wait, wait. Okay. I thought you meant a priest was with Blaze's family, not the killer's. Still don't know why it's important or appropriate to note that he took communion before he TOOK ANOTHER HUMAN BEING'S LIFE.
    Hey, father. Don't think the wafer worked.
    No, the killer's family brought the priest. I added that part about the timing. Yeah, father, the wafer was a FAIL.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Man, is it a full moon or something?
    Next full moon is on the 31st, the almanac says

I'm just emotional.
    Last edited by Pidge; 01-17-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Next full moon is on the 31st, the almanac says

I'm just emotional.
    mercury in retrograde then.

https://garygoldhammer.com/2018/01/1...aze-bernstein/

I Remember Blaze Bernstein

I remember their son, Blaze Bernstein. But I never knew him. Not really.

I never knew about his passion for writing, or how scary good he was at it. I?ve written three books, been a writer all my life, and I can?t form a single sentence as well as Blaze. He wielded words like a master craftsman, doing things with the English language that should have been impossible. His writing didn?t just jump off the page, it leaped into your heart.
    But now I know he was so much more ? a writer, sure, but also a poet, an intellectual, a scientist, a chef, a dreamer, a doer, a loving son and sibling. He lived more life in 19 years that most people could live in 100. Blaze was all these things and I never knew, never once considered that this familiar face would have anything to offer a self-absorbed, middle-aged man who he probably only knew as Alex Goldhammer?s dad, if he knew me at all

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    mercury in retrograde then.
    Thank you. I've been trying to figure out wtf was up 😳

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/17/suspect-in-murder-case-of-blaze-bernstein-will-face-murder-charge-with-enhancement-for-using-a-knife/

Sorry guys, I screwed that up. I meant to include some of the story.
    SANTA ANA ? Prosecutors on Wednesday filed one felony count of murder, with a sentence enhancement for using a knife, against a 20-year-old accused of killing high school classmate Blaze Bernstein.

Samuel Lincoln Woodward allegedly stabbed 19-year-old Bernstein the night of Jan. 2. The body, stabbed more than 20 times, was discovered a week later in a shallow grave on the edge of a Lake Forest park, a short distance from the Bernstein home. Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas, in a Wednesday morning news conference, said sheriff?s investigators were led to Woodward through ?old-fashion detective work and surveillance,? as well as a sophisticated examination of physical, digital and DNA evidence. Rackauckas declined to discuss a motive or too many details, but said that investigators have not ruled out the possibly that the case is a hate crime. He said his office will continue to search for evidence that might support any special-circumstance allegation, which could make Woodward eligible for life in prison without parole or the death penalty.

Rackauckas noted that Woodward is 6-foot-2 and 185 pounds, while Bernstein was 5-8 and weighed 135 pounds.

If convicted of the charge filed Wednesday, Woodward could face 26 years to life in state prison.

?Our priority ? is to make sure that Woodward is brought to justice and held accountable,? Rackauckas said. ?As a community, we hope this case might serve as an opportunity for tolerance and understanding.? The exact time and location of the murder remain under investigation, the district attorney said.

Woodward appeared in court briefly on Wednesday afternoon in an orange jailhouse jumpsuit and spoke quietly with his defense lawyer, Edward Mu?oz.

Woodward had been held in Orange County Jail in lieu of a $2 million bail, but Wednesday afternoon prosecutors successfully got a judge to remove any chance he could get out on bail. Woodward is now to return to court on Feb. 2, when the charge would be formally read to him and he can plead guilty or not guilty.

Woodward?s mother and father appeared in court alongside their son?s lawyer. After the hearing, the attorney declined to discuss details of the case but said the Woodwards, like the Bernsteins, are suffering.

?Here we have a young man who was an Eagle Scout, and he is now facing (a) murder (charge),? Mu?oz said.

Woodward, the lawyer said, at one point was enrolled in college but decided to work instead. His listed occupation was ?NERF GAMES,? according to his booking information on the Orange County Sheriff?s Department website.

Monsignor Wilbur Davis said he is a retired priest who has known the Woodward family for 10 years, adding that the parents are devout Catholics who attend Mass daily at Our Lady Queen of Angels Parish in Newport Beach. Davis, who spoke to reporters after the hearing, said he saw Woodward take communion at the church two Sundays ago.

According to an affidavit obtained by the Southern California News Group, Woodward had abrasions on his hands and dirt beneath his fingernails when talking to investigators after Bernstein?s body disappeared. Woodward told them that was from participating in what he described as a ?fight club? and falling into a mud puddle.

Prosecutors said he cleaned up his car, and that he visited the scene days after the crime.

Bernstein and Woodward had attended the Orange County School of the Arts in Santa Ana together. Bernstein, a pre-med sophomore at the prestigious University of Pennsylvania, was on winter break when he went missing.

Woodward told authorities he met with Bernstein that night to ?catch up.? According to the 16-page affidavit, Woodward told investigators that Bernstein kissed him on the lips while the two were sitting in a parked car outside the Hobby Lobby in Lake Forest the night of Jan. 2.

Woodward said the kiss was unwanted and that he pushed Bernstein away. Investigators noted that Woodward clenched his jaw and fists while recounting the kiss. Woodward told investigators he wanted to call Bernstein a ?faggot.?

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaJ View Post

Monsignor Wilbur Davis said he is a retired priest who has known the Woodward family for 10 years, adding that the parents are devout Catholics who attend Mass daily at Our Lady Queen of Angels Parish in Newport Beach. Davis, who spoke to reporters after the hearing, said he saw Woodward take communion at the church two Sundays ago.
    Well there's your problem, Pidge... his wafer had worn off.

Yup, yup, it's a case of a wafer dud.

And oh, his parents are devout Catholics? Oh then, by all means, case dismissed!
    Last edited by Pidge; 01-18-2018 at 07:11 AM.

There was an email campaign to the DA, prior to yesterday, from local residents urging him to make sure the killer didn't get bail. Good to see some people aren't easily swayed.

Sentiments from one of Blaze's friends -

Blaze was a friend I knew from the internet, who was really kind, really sweet, and had a big heart. I never like having "Internet friends" because it feels fake, but I trusted Blaze enough that last year we met. We didn't hang out often, I didn't know him as much as his close friends from school or his family, but we did talk online. I remember our first conversation was me sending him dog pics because he was going through a tough time, and it made him feel better. I remember him crying, and him thanking me for helping him get through the time. We were so similar, same ideas, same thoughts, same taste, similar experiences, both gay, the list just continues. I remember in one of our last conversations before he moved away, he had told me to be careful and be safe, and to hopefully find love, so that the love could be spread throughout the world because it is what we must share. He said my laugh could light up a room, so to keep on laughing, to make people laugh and have a great time. Finally, he told me to "find someone who's good to you, not someone you think is good for you, because someone who is good to you is someone to treasure" and he joked about my bad taste in guys.
    He really was a good person.

Oh geez... and he's a Boy Scout-!

I definitely meant Woodward with that comment directed towards, not Blaze.

Although, if they had been in Scouts together, that would put an interesting twist on things...

A good ole Eagle Scout. His father was the troop leader and I somehow came across some "Honor List" for Eagle Scouts in the area. His brother was on the list, he was not. No surprises there.

Question - I see quite a few "I'm a relative of a detective. I know stuff" type posts on places like reddit. Wouldn't that jeopardize the case? Why are they spilling? And why are these cops/detectives TELLING family members about the case?! Also, I don't want or need to know the soul crushing details.Take that shit to PMs.

Question - I see quite a few "I'm a relative of a detective. I know stuff" type posts on places like reddit. Wouldn't that jeopardize the case? Why are they spilling? And why are these cops/detectives TELLING family members about the case?! Also, I don't want or need to know the soul crushing details.Take that shit to PMs.
    I love Reddit (PembrokeLove, yo! I follow all the corgi pages. And RPDR.), but I generally ignore those types of posts. I would be SHOCKED if 50% of them were true. I'd be mildly surprised to find out 25% are true. I generally feel like those are somewhat local people, local enough to hear fresher rumors or some "friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of the detective's niece" info, and then they try to lend themselves some more credibility by taking out a few degrees. I think it's silly, because wouldn't it be more impressive if that was your guess and it turned out to be correct?

I accidentally came across one of these type of ppl's post and I wish I never saw it. Upsetting. Reddit doesnt have a good block user option so I can't even block them.
    Corgi as Corgis are cute. I adore Westies.

Sorry, it posted prematurely. I meant, "Corgi as in the dog? They're cute" (using mobile)

Wait, did the guy have a corgi or something? Why are we talking about dogs?

Haha! Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.
    Actually, come to think of it, I read his Tinder mentioned he liked corgis.

Thread Information