Thread: Scott Kologi (16) killed his parents, his sister and a family friend on NYE with a semiautomatic rifle

Scott Kologi (16) killed his parents, his sister and a family friend on NYE with a semiautomatic rifle

http://abcnews.go.com/US/16-year-all...ry?id=52081845

Minutes before midnight on New Year's Eve, a 16-year-old boy allegedly used a semi-automatic rifle owned by a family member to shoot and kill his parents, sister and a family friend inside the parents' home in a coastal city in southern New Jersey, the county prosecutor said.

The teen, whose name has not been released, is in police custody in connection with the shooting deaths of his father, Steven Kologi, 44; mother, Linda Kologi, 42; sister, Brittany Kologi, 18; and a family friend, Mary Schultz, 70, who was residing at the Kologi home in Long Branch, New Jersey, according to Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher Gramiccioni and a statement from his office.

The teen's brother and grandfather apparently escaped harm. They "thankfully left the home and came out OK," Gramiccioni said at a press conference Monday morning.
    https://nypost.com/2018/01/01/teen-a...assault-rifle/

Scott Kologi was arrested without incident and the Century Arms semi-automatic rifle — which was legally registered to a resident in the home — was seized, authorities said.

Authorities have not yet determined a motive for the shooting spree, which was described as a domestic violence incident that posed no danger to the public, he said.

Scott was charged with four counts of murder and a weapons offense Monday, according to the Asbury Park Press.

Authorities said police had not previously been to the house for domestic violence calls.
    The parents and the son that shot them:
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 01-01-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Is it weird if i don't feel bad when people get shot with their own guns?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Is it weird if i don't feel bad when people get shot with their own guns?
    Adam Lanza should have been a wake up call to each and every gun owner. If you have a child or spouse who has mental health problems, do not keep a gun in your home! I think that it would be harder to stab 4 people than to shoot.

Long, but interesting, article.

https://www.app.com/story/news/crime...nce/996102001/

Long Branch shooting: Did autism play a role?

https://www.app.com/story/news/local...ial/354292002/

Prosecutor seeks adult trial

Scott Kologi, the 16-year-old accused in the New Year's Eve shooting deaths of his father, mother, sister and a family friend, might face trial as an adult. Prosecutors indicated there was an effort underway to have the case moved.

The case "remains under investigation and is pending waiver to adult court," the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office recently told the Asbury Park Press in an official letter denying access to government records. Scroll to the bottom of this story to see the full letter.

Kologi is currently in family court, which handles juvenile and other matters. A judge there has gagged all lawyers from talking about the case. The Press was denied entry to cover the juvenile hearing, which is normally closed to the public.

Kologi is facing four counts of murder and a weapon charge in the killings of his parents, 42-year-old Steven and 44-year-old Linda Kologi; his 18-year-old sister, Brittany Kologi; and a family friend, 70-year-old Mary Schulz. The Press sought access, under the state's Open Public Records Act, to the 911 phone calls and police dashcam videos related to the shooting. In her denial letter to the Press, Assistant Prosecutor Jennifer A. Lipp explained that part of the basis for the denial was that the case may move to adult court.

https://www.app.com/story/news/crime...er/2268782002/

On New Year's Day nearly a year ago, a shocked Jersey Shore woke to news of a gruesome mass murder inside a home at 635 Wall St.

In the intervening months, little has been added to the publicly known outline of what happened: three members of the Kologi family and a family friend were shot to death, allegedly by a juvenile who lived in the home.

The rest of the story remains a mystery.

Thanks to a judge's gag order, details surrounding the deaths have remained a closely guarded secret; none of the officials connected with the case has commented publicly for months. Moreover, because of the age of the accused killer, the public may never learn exactly what transpired in juvenile court, according to a former assistant prosecutor.

"Generally, a juvenile disposition is not made known to the public and it is possible that the case could conclude without the public knowing the outcome of the disposition. The prosecutor can't talk about it," said Jason Seidman, who was an assistant prosecutor with the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office from 2010 to 2015.

Seidman, now a juvenile defense attorney in Toms River, said he has no connection or special knowledge of the Kologi case. He spoke to the Press in general about judicial proceedings involving juveniles.

A law enforcement source, however, said the case has not been concluded. Yet answers to essential questions about the tragedy remain under wraps, including the "why?" of the rare mass shooting.

The Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office charged 16-year-old Scott Kologi with four counts of murder, alleging he shot and killed his father, Steven Kologi, 44; mother, Linda Kologi, 42; sister, Brittany Kologi, 18; and a family acquaintance, Mary Schultz, 70.

Scott Kologi, who reportedly is on the autism spectrum, was also charged with a weapons offense for the Century Arms semiautomatic rifle he allegedly used in the crime. The weapon was "lawfully acquired by someone who resided in that home," Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher Gramiccioni said shortly after the deaths.

It has not been publicly disclosed who purchased or owned the weapon.

Two family members, Scott's brother Steven Kologi Jr. and grandfather Adrian Kologi, were in the house at the time of the shooting but managed to escape unharmed.
    https://nj1015.com/long-branch-slayi...ng-his-family/

Long Branch slayings: My grandson was obsessed with killing his family— and he did

It was New Year's Eve in 2017 and the Kologi family was "having a good time," Adrian Kologi recalls.

He had spent the evening at the family's Wall Street home with his longtime companion, Mary Schulz, his son and daughter-in-law and their daughter and two sons.

The family, however, never got to ring in the new year. Fifteen minutes before the clock struck 12, Steven Kologi, 44, Linda Kologi, 43, Brittany, 18, and the 70-year-old Schulz were shot dead at close range by a rifle.

The gunman, prosecutors say, was Adrian's 16-year-old grandson Scott, who has been charged with murder as a juvenile.

A year later, the case continues to slowly work its way through Family Court, closed to the public because of the defendant's age.

Kologi, meanwhile, continues to live in the home where most of his family was wiped out inexplicably.

"Two thousand people showed up for the funeral and I haven't heard from any of them," Kologi said this month in an interview with New Jersey 101.5. "Most of them said they'd keep in touch but that's human nature I guess."

Kologi said that fateful New Year's Eve took a turn for the worse when Scott found the rifle.

"He took it outside and walked around the block to kill people," Adrian said. "On his little walk he decided, 'Oh, I'm not going to kill strangers I'm going to go home and kill my family.'"

Kologi said his grandson's "brain was messed up" by a tumor and nerve damage from child birth.

"Who knows what his brain was thinking?" Adrian said, unable to finish his thought. "He was making comments that nobody ... "

"I tried to warn Steve and Linda he was saying stuff and acting. (Scott) got mad at me for ratting him out. He was obsessed with killing his family."

Monmouth County prosecutors are seeking to try Scott as an adult. The office is bound by a gag order preventing them from speaking publicly unless the case is moved to Superior Court for an adult trial.

Kologi said he has not visited his grandson at the Middlesex County juvenile facility where he is being held.

Autism not a defense in Long Branch family murder case, expert says

Long Branch teen ‘riddled’ family with shots at close range, prosecutor says

‘Good’ people, private struggles, inexplicable end

"Last time I saw him he was at the police station. I walked down the hallway and he turned around and yelled out, 'I love you grandpa' and I just ignored him. He had a strange way of showing love," Kologi said.

Scott has been described as being on the autism spectrum. Authorities have not discussed what role, if any, developmental disabilities might have played.

Did the shooter really have a brain tumor?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Did the shooter really have a brain tumor?
    I'm not sure. I would think we would have heard more about it if he did, but I might be wrong.

Thread Information