Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Andrew Finch (28) murdered by SWAT Team after online gaming feud leads to 'swatting' hoax

Quote Originally Posted by Josephine View Post
    His mother talking about him in the current tense is heart murdering.

"[My son] doesn't play video games; he has better things to do."

I just can't wrap my mind around how this is a "prank" or how a teenager, much less a 25 year old man, fails to see as potentially very, very dangerous. How could anyone in this culture in this day and age not realize that someone is more likely than not to be hurt or killed when you sent a swat team in on unsuspecting people? How many cases of night raids gone bad, kids shot accidentally by cops, unarmed people being killed does someone have to see before they think, "Oh, perhaps this could create a high-pressure situation where an innocent person could be shot out of carelessness, confusion, or any number of other factors in this pressurized environment."
    Alot of online gamers are fucking cancer. I mute my headset mic and turn down the volume on voice-chat all the way because of how annoying they are.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Technically you can't ring & just request them but if you describe a murder & an ongoing armed siege, there's a pretty good likelihood that's who's going to turn up.
    There isn't really an appropriate thread to post this in, but every time I see a post from you, it brings me such joy. I love the little stubbins in your signature so much!

I've been looking for updates on this one... the guy who sent the team, 25-year-old Tyler Barriss, has been charged with manslaughter. This article is pretty good, although it's more about failures in the Witchita police training system than this particular case. http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article194900084.html

Lawyer James Thompson, who has sued the city in previous police shootings, said Wichita has far too many such incidents for its size and it’s a result of poor police training, staffing and funding that puts overworked and nervous officers on the street.

“When they make mistakes, people die,” Thompson said. “That lays at your feet, so the blood of Andrew Finch is on your hands just as much as it is the shooting officer and the idiot from California who made the phone call.”

Somehow I completely missed this shit. This had to be someone trying to make him look like even more of a raging fuckwit, right? He couldn't really be this stupid? Could he?

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ets-from-jail/

"Your ass is about to get swatted," swatting suspect tweets from jail

A software glitch in a Kansas jail temporarily gave the suspect Internet access.
    TIMOTHY B. LEE - 4/11/2018, 2:27 AM

Swatting suspect Tyler Barriss depicted in a 2015 mug shot released by Glendale police.
    Glendale Police Department

Tyler Barriss stands accused of making a fake emergency call, a crime known as "swatting," that led to the death of a Kansas man. He has been held in a Sedgewick County Jail since January. He is not supposed to have Internet access there, but on Friday the Wichita Eagle noticed Barriss tweeting.

"How am I on the Internet if I'm in jail?" Barriss wrote. "Oh, because I'm an eGod, that's how."

"All right, now who was talking shit?" he added in a tweet 19 minutes later. "Your ass is about to get swatted."

The tragic incident that landed Barriss in jail occurred last December. Two Call of Duty players got into a heated argument, and one of them recruited Barriss, an Internet troll with a history of making malicious prank phone calls, to "swat" the other player. Barriss called Wichita authorities pretending to be a deranged gunman holding his family hostage in an effort to have a swat team raid the target's home.

But the target lied to Barriss about his home address. So police surrounded the home of Andrew Finch, a 28-year-old man who had no connection to the online dispute. Finch opened the door with his hands up, but an officer shot him after-according to police-he appeared to reach for his waistband. Finch was unarmed.

Barriss, who lived in the Los Angeles area, was arrested and extradited to Kansas. According to the Wichita Eagle, he has been charged with involuntary manslaughter, giving false alarm, and interfering with law enforcement.

The Sedgwick County Sheriff's Office told the Wichita Eagle on Monday that Barriss had taken advantage of a flawed software update on the jail's Internet kiosks. These kiosks are supposed to allow prisoners to perform a limited set of functions, like purchasing items from the prison commissary or sending or receiving electronic messages. But they aren't supposed to allow general Internet access.

But a software patch applied last week temporarily allowed users to visit unauthorized websites. Barriss used this brief window of unfettered Internet access to post to Twitter. We can be sure that prosecutors are making copies of these tweets for use during the sentencing phase of the case.

"Y'all should see how much swag I got in here," Barriss wrote in another tweet before his Internet access was cut off.
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-28-2018 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Good and there should be a registered Swatters offenders list for people like Tyler R. Barriss, 26

Thread Information