View Poll Results: Was Detective Sean Suiter's death a suicide or a homicide?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • His death was a suicide

2 50.00%
  • His death was a homicide related to his upcoming testimony on the Gun Trace Task Force

1 25.00%
  • His death was a random homicide in crime riddled Baltimore

0 0%
  • I really am torn between suicide and homicide

1 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baltimore Detective Sean Suiter died from a gunshot wound 24 Hrs Before He Was Due To Testify In A Police Corruption Case; was it murder or suicide?

Baltimore Detective Sean Suiter died from a gunshot wound 24 Hrs Before He Was Due To Testify In A Police Corruption Case; was it murder or suicide?

I've been seeing a lot of discussion about this murder on twitter for the past week & meant to post it earlier. A lot of people are incredulous over the circumstances of the shooting - even without the fact he was testifying at a police corruption hearing the next day.

Detective Suiter was shot on duty, at close range, with his own gun. His partner, who was nearby, apparently ran at the sound of gunfire & took cover. He was subsequently unable to identify the assailant

There have been a lot of developments already & I haven't read up properly on all of it yet, but I have seen reports the feds are reopening old cases as a result of his murder.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...122-story.html

Slain Baltimore Homicide Detective Sean Suiter was scheduled to testify before a federal grand jury in the case against a squad of indicted officers on the day after he was shot, Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said Wednesday evening.

The revelation brings together two cases that have sent shock waves through the Police Department and the city as a whole: the federal prosecutions of eight members of the department?s elite gun task force, who are accused of shaking down citizens and conspiring with drug dealers, and the killing of Suiter last week in West Baltimore, the first of an on-duty officer by a suspect in 10 years.

Davis said Wednesday that federal authorities have told him ?in no uncertain terms? that Suiter was not a target of their investigation into the Gun Trace Task Force. He said authorities have no reason to believe Suiter?s killing was connected to his pending testimony.

?The BPD and FBI do not possess any information that this incident ... is part of any conspiracy,? Davis said. He said evidence shows the shooting occurred spontaneously, as Suiter investigated a suspicious person in the Harlem Park neighborhood.

?There is no information that has been communicated to me that Detective Suiter was anything other than a stellar detective, great friend, loving husband and dedicated father,? he said.

Davis also said that Suiter is believed to have been killed with his own service weapon, which was fired at close range, and that there was evidence of a struggle before the shooting.

Police have not identified a suspect or made arrests in Suiter?s shooting Nov. 15. Investigators locked the neighborhood down for several days after the shooting to gather evidence and interview potential witnesses. Authorities are offering a reward of $215,000 for information leading to an arrest.

Police say Suiter and a partner were conducting a follow-up investigation on a triple homicide in the 900 block of Bennett Place when he saw someone acting suspiciously in a vacant lot and approached. The 43-year-old detective, a married father of five, was shot once in the head.

He died the next day.

Davis described for the first time surveillance video of the scene. The footage shows Suiter?s partner seeking cover across the street. Davis backed his actions.

?Upon the sound of gunfire, Detective Suiter?s partner sought cover across the street,? Davis said, reading from a prepared statement. ?He immediately called 911. We know this, because it is captured on private surveillance video that we have recovered.?

Baltimore police racketeering case timeline
    Mayor Catherine Pugh was briefed on the case Wednesday and said she asked Davis to disclose the information to the public, due to theories swirling in the community.

The Gun Trace Task Force was entrusted with executing a key element of Davis? strategy against the city?s historic surge in killing: getting illegal guns out of the hands of the trigger pullers who are driving the violence.

But a federal grand jury indicted eight task force members earlier this year on charges of racketeering and other violations, and authorities are continuing to investigate allegations related to the squad.

Four officers have pleaded guilty, and at least two of them are cooperating with authorities.

The other four members have pleaded not guilty. They are scheduled for trial in January.

Davis said he was told by federal prosecutors that Suiter was to testify in the case of the indicted officers in relation to an incident from several years ago. It was not clear whether his testimony would be helpful or harmful to the officers.

Among the officers to stand trial is Sgt. Wayne Jenkins, the supervisor of the task force.

Jenkins and Suiter were involved in a high-speed chase in 2010 in which the elderly father of a Baltimore police officer was killed. Two men were charged in the case. Umar Burley and Brent Matthews were both convicted of heroin possession charges and sentenced to federal prison.

Court records show that the two assistant U.S. attorneys who are prosecuting the Gun Trace Task Force entered their appearances ? or filed a formal notification of their involvement ? in the closed high-speed chase case in late August, and there have been multiple sealed filings since then.

The U.S. attorney?s office in Maryland declined to comment Wednesday night.

State court records show that Suiter made dozens of arrests with Detective Maurice Ward, one of the officers who has pleaded guilty in the Gun Trace Task Force case, between 2007 and 2009. He made two arrests in 2008 with Detective Momodu Gondo, and three arrests in 2010 with Jenkins.

A federal grand jury this month indicted former Baltimore police Officer Eric Troy Snell, now a Philadelphia police officer, in an alleged conspiracy with some members of Baltimore?s Gun Trace Task Force to sell drugs and split proceeds.

In one allegation, federal prosecutors accuse Jenkins and Detecetive Jemell Rayam of initiating a high-speed chase in 2016 in which driver of the vehicle threw more than 9 ounces of cocaine out of the window of his vehicle before crashing near Mondawmin Mall.

Prosecutors say the officers retrieved the cocaine. They say Jenkins told Rayam to sell most of it and give Jenkins proceeds of the sale, and Rayam agreed to do it.

Rayam has pleaded guilty to racketeering in his own indictment and is cooperating with authorities.

Police asked anyone with information to call homicide detectives at 410-396-2100, the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI, or Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7LOCKUP.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    This is why good cops don't come forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...123-story.html

Feds have re-opened 2010 case involving slain Baltimore detective and indicted gun task force officer

A picture in the federal court file of Umar Burley shows Burley's car. Court records say he was fleeing police in 2010 and slammed his Acura into a Monte Carlo driven by an 87-year-old man, killing him. (Handout / Baltimore Sun)

After members of the Baltimore Police Gun Trace Task force were indicted this year for shaking down citizens and falsifying evidence, a federal inmate in a West Virginia prison reached out to the judge in his case. Umar Burley had been charged by a member of the task force. Now he wanted another look at his arrest.

?Could you imagine how hard it is to be here for a crime I didn?t commit and struggling to find clarity and justice on my own,? Burley said in a handwritten letter in June that is included in his court file.

Burley was arrested in 2010 by then-Detective Wayne Jenkins, one of the indicted gun task force members, and by Detective Sean Suiter, who was killed last week in Harlem Park. In court records filed at the time of Burley?s arrest, Jenkins wrote that Suiter found drugs in Burley?s vehicle, which was searched following a chase in Northwest Baltimore that ended with a collision that killed an 87-year-old man.

Federal prosecutors did reopen Burley?s case. And Suiter, on the day after his death, had been scheduled to testify before a federal grand jury still investigating the gun task force, Police Commissioner Kevin Davis confirmed this week.

It is not clear if Suiter?s testimony was expected to touch on Burley?s arrest. The slain detective had also worked with other members of the gun task force. Davis said Suiter was not a target of the federal investigation, and had a sterling reputation in the department.

But the disclosure that Suiter was going to testify brings together two cases that have rocked the city this year: the indictment of an elite unit tasked with taking guns off the street, and the first killing in a decade of an on-duty Baltimore police officer.

Baltimore police racketeering case timeline
    Davis said police have no reason to believe Suiter?s death is connected to his testimony, calling the attack ?spontaneous.? No suspect has been identified.

Records show that Burley contested the charges at the time of his arrest but eventually pleaded guilty and has been serving a 15-year sentence. Jenkins has not entered a plea in the racketeering indictment. A trial date is tentatively scheduled for January.

Burley?s arrest came after Jenkins and another detective were driving an unmarked vehicle patrolling in the Grove Park neighborhood on April 28, 2010. Federal prosecutors wrote at the time that the officers had received information that the area was being used by ?large-scale drug dealers.?

?Detective Jenkins himself had arrested between five and ten defendants in the area and had seized distribution quantities of drugs,? Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Christine Celeste wrote.

Jenkins wrote in a statement of probable cause that he and his partner saw a man who was holding cash enter the passenger side of an Acura parked in the block. Jenkins pulled his vehicle in front of Burley?s Acura. Suiter, in a separate vehicle, pulled up behind.

As Burley began to drive away, Jenkins? partner pulled out his service weapon and ordered Burley to stop. He pulled away, with the detectives in pursuit. The detectives said they lost sight of Burley?s vehicle, and he crashed at the intersection of Belle and Gwynn Oak avenues.

The collision forced another vehicle into the porch of a home, killing 87-year-old Albert Davis and severely injuring his wife.

(go to article link to hear : Police scanner traffic following shooting of Baltimore Police Det. Sean Suiter).

In a police report, Jenkins wrote that Suiter conducted the search of the vehicle and found 32 clear plastic bags containing 29 grams of heroin, along with a digital scale.

Burley?s attorney at the time said Burley ?disputes much of Detective Jenkins? statement of probable cause,? and said the detectives had seized and arrested Burley without justification.

?Alleged law enforcement observations of an African American entering a parked car with money in a high crime area do not add up to probable cause,? Burley?s attorney, Thomas Crowe, wrote.

Crowe also said the officers bumped Burley?s car when they blocked it in, and used deadly force by pointing a gun at him. He said police had tried to justify their actions by the later discovery of drugs.

The prosecutor on the case at the time backed the officers.

?The officers believed that a drug transaction was about to take place, based on their experience in seizing drugs from individuals making deals in cars and information provided by informants,? Celeste wrote.

Burley pleaded guilty in state court to manslaughter in the crash death and received 10 years. In the federal case, he pleaded guilty to a heroin possession charge and received 15 years. The suspect seen getting into the car also pleaded guilty, and received 46 months in prison.

In his letter to Judge Catherine C. Blake, Burley argued that Jenkins? indictment was ?relevant to my case.?

Previously, prosecutors in the gun task force case have made accusations against Jenkins involving high-speed chases. In one incident in 2016, they say Jenkins and Detective Jemell Rayam, another member of the unit, pursued a vehicle that crashed near Mondawmin Mall. The officers allegedly stole drugs from the vehicle and re-sold them. Those accusations led to the indictment of a Philadelphia police officer.

Prosecutors also say that in 2011, Jenkins and Rayam pursued a vehicle at high speed, resulting in a crash near Mondawmin Mall, and stole $1,800 from the driver.

Rayam has pleaded guilty to racketeering and is cooperating with authorities.

Suiter had other connections to members of the gun task force. From 2007 to 2009, Suiter worked with Detective Maurice Ward, who has pleaded guilty in the racketeering case and made arrests with Jenkins in 2011. Suiter also worked a handful of cases in 2008 with Detective Momodu Gondo, who has pleaded guilty.

& an example of the discussions happening over this case

https://twitter.com/BaltoSpectator/s...01565182914560
    Attached Images Attached Images

Totally fucked up. Agreement with Ron. What's the incentive to be a good cop?
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Ok, I have fallen down the rabbit hole after watching "We Own This City" and the documentary "Slow Hustle" (both on Max).

Anyone who watched Homicide Life on the Street or The Wire will be caught up in this real life story of the Baltimore Gun Trace Task Force.

I need someone on here (or all of you, lol) to watch this and come back and discuss with me. It's riveting and I want to know what you think about Suiter's death, was it suicide or murder? I think I will even make a poll, even though probably no one will jump in this with me, lol.

If you don't want to watch it, or after you do watch it, here is the report from the Independent Commission regarding Suiter's death (it's PDF):
    https://www.baltimorepolice.org/site...t%20Public.pdf

And just some general articles and info:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Suiter

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/c...EQAKU2Y34KBFI/

https://therealnews.com/new-details-...e-police-probe

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/...-own-this-city

https://davidsimon.com/sean-suiter/
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 12-22-2023 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Ok, I have fallen down the rabbit hole after watching "We Own This City" and the documentary "Slow Hustle" (both on Max).

Anyone who watched Homicide Life on the Street or The Wire will be caught up in this real life story of the Baltimore Gun Trace Task Force.

I need someone on here (or all of you, lol) to watch this and come back and discuss with me. It's riveting and I want to know what you think about Suiter's death, was it suicide or murder? I think I will even make a poll, even though probably no one will jump in this with me, lol.

If you don't want to watch it, or after you do watch it, here is the report from the Independent Commission regarding Suiter's death (it's PDF):

So far sounds like suicide. Just odd that at first they never even considered that and were searching for a suspect. Also, super weird for him to be patrolling and stop to check out a suspicious person....and choose right then and there to commit suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    So far sounds like suicide. Just odd that at first they never even considered that and were searching for a suspect. Also, super weird for him to be patrolling and stop to check out a suspicious person....and choose right then and there to commit suicide.
    After watching all that I have, and reading a ton of stuff too, I am equally torn between suicide and homicide. If I had to choose I would probably say suicide, but there are definitely some things that really make me question it. Even if you don't watch the series, the documentary is worth watching. It's about 75 minutes long.

https://baltimorebrew.com/2018/09/02...de-conclusion/

Omissions in audio and video evidence undermine Suiter suicide conclusion

The Independent Review Board asks the public to trust subjective interpretations, while limiting access to objective first-hand documentation. ANALYSIS.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 12-22-2023 at 10:49 AM.

After watching all that I have, and reading a ton of stuff too, I am equally torn between suicide and homicide. If I had to choose I would probably say suicide, but there are definitely some things that really make me question it. Even if you don't watch the series, the documentary is worth watching. It's about 75 minutes long.
    Do you think it was possibly his partner from that day that did it?

FM message or text me those name titles of the shows, I always forget by the time i get home what people recommended here lol.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Do you think it was possibly his partner from that day that did it?

FM message or text me those name titles of the shows, I always forget by the time i get home what people recommended here lol.
    If it is murder I think he would have to be in on it.

For those of you who don't have Max, or prefer to read over watching TV, here is the book the miniseries is based on. The author features heavily in the documentary too.
    https://www.amazon.com/We-Own-This-C...3274625&sr=8-1
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 12-22-2023 at 11:15 AM.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar

I'll have to set some time aside to read about this and see what I can find on YouTube about it. Ireland doesn't have HBO Max

(And yes, I know that I can watch it on a laptop with a VPN, but it's not the same and it's not worth paying a subscription for something I'll rarely use).
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

The surveillance video:

The best analysis of it I have found so far, including times:

https://jewishjournal.com/commentary...ddendum-video/ and

https://jewishjournal.com/uncategori...suiters-death/
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 12-24-2023 at 06:26 PM.

This was a really good mini series! It had the dude from The Walking Dead.

Shane! That guy is such a good actor.

Im watching it now.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Did you watch the documentary on Sean Suiter's death? I saw your poll opinion. If you didn't watch it you need to watch it now. It may change your opinion.

Did you watch the documentary on Sean Suiter's death? I saw your poll opinion. If you didn't watch it you need to watch it now. It may change your opinion.
    I think I got a quarter of the way through. I will try to watch the rest this weekend.

If I change my mind can I undo my poll selection? lol.

I think I got a quarter of the way through. I will try to watch the rest this weekend.

If I change my mind can I undo my poll selection? lol.
    LOL, no, but I think I can change the poll to where you can choose multiple options. Just tell us in the thread.

ETA: Apparently I can only do that when I first set up the poll, so we're stuck with it the way it is.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    The surveillance video:

The best analysis of it I have found so far, including times:

https://jewishjournal.com/commentary...ddendum-video/ and

https://jewishjournal.com/uncategori...suiters-death/
    Oooohhhh! I'll have to watch this one
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    We loved the series. I cannot believe how corrupt the entire department was...and likely still is. There is a culture of corruption in that department that will be difficult to ever overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    We loved the series. I cannot believe how corrupt the entire department was...and likely still is. There is a culture of corruption in that department that will be difficult to ever overcome.
    I'm so glad you liked it! Did you watch Slow Hustle too?

Have you ever seen The Wire?

I'm so glad you liked it! Did you watch Slow Hustle too?

Have you ever seen The Wire?
    Is that the documentary? I haven't watched it, but will definitely do so.

No, never seen The Wire. Is it about the same type of thing?

Is that the documentary? I haven't watched it, but will definitely do so.

No, never seen The Wire. Is it about the same type of thing?
    Yes, Slow Hustle is the documentary.

No, The Wire is by David Simon who worked on We Own This City. It's another HBO series and is FABULOUS! It's about Baltimore, but it tells more of the drug trade and non-police corruption side of the story. It's 5 seasons, so it will keep you busy for awhile. It's one of my top 3 series of all time.

Yes, Slow Hustle is the documentary.

No, The Wire is by David Simon who worked on We Own This City. It's another HBO series and is FABULOUS! It's about Baltimore, but it tells more of the drug trade and non-police corruption side of the story. It's 5 seasons, so it will keep you busy for awhile. It's one of my top 3 series of all time.
    We need something to watch tonight, so I'll try to see if I can find Slow Hustle.

Definitely will try to catch The Wire.

For some reason I am unable to upload pictures here. Ugh.

if you go to the following FB page, they have proof of an interview the FB conducted with Sean Suiter on 11/27/2017 even though the FBI initially claimed they had no files on him. Here is what their post said:

Here is the FD-302 for the FBI's interview of Sean Suiter.
    FD-302s are the forms used by the FBI to memorialize interviews.
    Getting these forms was an adventure. Initially, the FBI told us they had no records on Sean Suiter despite having given Justin Fenton files in response to his FOIA request.
    In response to this nonsense, we asked the Office of Government Information Services for mediation.
    The FOIA Ombudsman advised us to FOIA the FBI for the records they gave Fenton.
    We did. The FBI said the above posted FD-302 was the only records that they gave Fenton. Fenton has confirmed this.
    As for some of the redactions, they are almost certainly:
    The Special Agent (SA) is Erica Jensen.
    The Task Force Officer (TFO) is John Sieracki
    The Assistant United States Attorneys are Derek Hines and Leo Wise.

Here's the FB for Sean's wife, Nicole. She hasn't posted in a bit: https://www.facebook.com/nicole.burch.357

This is a FB page set up for him; no new posts since 2021: https://www.facebook.com/JusticeForSeanSuiter

For some reason I am unable to upload pictures here. Ugh.

if you go to the following FB page, they have proof of an interview the FB conducted with Sean Suiter on 11/27/2017 even though the FBI initially claimed they had no files on him. Here is what their post said:
    Fenton's book talks about his FBI interview. He definitely chatted with them. They gave him qualified immunity.

Thread Information