Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nakia Venant (14) hangs herself while using Facebook Live

Nakia Venant (14) hangs herself while using Facebook Live

MIAMI -- A 14-year-old girl broadcast her death live from the bathroom of her Miami-area foster home as she made a noose from her scarf and attached it to the shower door frame to hang herself, authorities said.

The Florida Department of Children and Families offered few details Tuesday about the weekend death of Nakia Venant, whom police found hanging in the bathroom.

One of the girl?s friends told the Miami Herald she saw the live stream and called Miami-Dade police, who showed up at her house. She then gave them an address in Miami. When police showed up there, residents gave them the foster home address. Officers found the girl hanging and tried to revive her. She was declared dead a short time later at a hospital.

?We are absolutely horrified and devastated by the news of this young girl?s death,? Mike Carroll, secretary of the Department of Children and Families, said in a statement. He promised a ?comprehensive? review to examine the child?s history.

Carroll said his agency is working with Miami Gardens police on the investigation.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/girl-liv...i-foster-home/

5 facts.
    http://heavy.com/news/2017/01/nakia-...ida-jay-bowdy/

Her facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/gay.ass.nik...SEARCH&fref=nf

https://www.everipedia.com/nakia-venant/

Last edited by bermstalker; 01-26-2017 at 01:52 AM.

Although one of Nakia’s friends watched the feed and called police, several missteps thwarted the police in finding her. After the friend called Miami-Dade Police and they showed up at her house, she gave an incorrect address, and their search was delayed. They were then given the correct address of her foster home in Miami Gardens, Miami Gardens police spokeswoman Petula Burks told the Herald.

“Nakia was smart academically, loved to smile and [had] lots of charisma,” said a close family friend, Gerta Telfort.

Just three weeks before Nakia’s suicide, 12-year-old Katelyn Nicole Davis killed herself in a 40-minute live video. However, in the case of Davis, police had trouble keeping people from sharing the video to online sites.

When it comes to Nakia, the video was abruptly turned off after she killed herself, and videos were not recirculated. Representatives from Facebook said that when videos are reported for going against community standards, they work to make sure the content isn't shared.
    http://www.bet.com/news/national/201...-facebook.html

This shit is fucked up. Cluster suicides used to only affect the community the person mixed in, it was usually limited to to the kids in their town & school.

With social media suicide clusters go viral too

RIP Nakia

I just don't get the whole live-streaming your suicide. It can't be a pretty thing.

Is it because they want others to feel bad? Or is it that part of them wants someone to stop them, to show they DO care and are worth living life? It's just so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I just don't get the whole live-streaming your suicide. It can't be a pretty thing.

Is it because they want others to feel bad? Or is it that part of them wants someone to stop them, to show they DO care and are worth living life? It's just so sad.
    I think the reasons are as individual as the reasons why people decide to take their lives. Some are probably doing it to cry for help, some for attention and others perhaps just want it documented in some sick way just like any other important event in their lives. By live streaming it, they will never be forgotten. The people who viewed it will never forget it.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    That poor girl.

I can't help but share a post by someone about her. We might need Ani to translate:

Hoe You Aint Dead Stop Flawging ����Yu Got All The Clout Yu Need Come Back Alive Hoe ��������#RipDave��HotHead Nikee

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    That poor girl.

I can't help but share a post by someone about her. We might need Ani to translate:
    If I were to guess, it's someone that either thought she was faking or didn't want to believe she was gone.

As for the Nike reference, perhaps it's related to "Just Do It".

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I think some people called her Nike/Nikee given posts on FB.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    When it comes to Nakia, the video was abruptly turned off after she killed herself, and videos were not recirculated. Representatives from Facebook said that when videos are reported for going against community standards, they work to make sure the content isn't shared.
    How is it they were able to shut this one down immediately (well after 2 hours but immediately after the suicide) and get rid of it before a single person grabbed it and shared it? Why didn't that work for Katelyn Davis?

Wow. So sad these babies are deciding that this is their only option. This is def gonna become something we're unfortunately gonna see more and more of.
    They need to talk about this more in schools and at home. Maybe that would help some.

I know a person by the name of Nikia, actually, and if it's pronounced the same... Then I'll go out on a limb here and say that the Nikee/Nike reference might actually the shortened way of saying/writing the full name.
    Nih-kee shortened down from the fully said Nih-kee-yah

Quote Originally Posted by sdhoney View Post
    How is it they were able to shut this one down immediately (well after 2 hours but immediately after the suicide) and get rid of it before a single person grabbed it and shared it? Why didn't that work for Katelyn Davis?
    I don't think Katelyn used Facebook Live. She used something else, not sure what, but it wasn't Facebook to my best knowledge. On Facebook, people can report it and bring it to their attention and have it taken down. I guess they were just lucky that nobody ripped it from there. Facebook makes it difficult to directly save videos from their platform. Let's say it was public and people did share it, once the original post was taken down it would disappear everywhere it was shared.

Quote Originally Posted by catastrophe View Post
    I know a person by the name of Nikia, actually, and if it's pronounced the same... Then I'll go out on a limb here and say that the Nikee/Nike reference might actually the shortened way of saying/writing the full name.
    Nih-kee shortened down from the fully said Nih-kee-yah
    Yes - her username on Facebook was HotHead Nikee with her url being "gay ass nike" fwiw.

Nic B wrote: I just don't get the whole live-streaming your suicide. It can't be a pretty thing.
    Nic, I've been thinking about this, too. It's terribly sad and I want to know the why in hopes the trend can be ended.
    Could it be: By streaming their conversation leading up to taking their life, the person has an audience and may feel more committed to going through with the action as opposed to changing their mind. I also wonder if there are people in the live conversation (my guess would be an awful teen stranger) encouraging the person to do it.

Are video recorded suicide notes a thing? I mean a not live stream vid left for the living as a note? I think the prevalence of livestream versus a video goodbye could give some insight into why people are choose the streaming.

I hope this trend can stop and that people become willing to have these tough conversations.
    Last edited by wondery; 01-26-2017 at 04:26 PM. Reason: formatting

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    That poor Katelyn used live.fm or something like that. There was a guy overseas who was encouraging her to commit suicide.

Poor Nike, she had a rough short life. I hope that she is at peace. RIP

Hoe You Aint Dead Stop Flawging ����Yu Got All The Clout Yu Need Come Back Alive Hoe ��������#RipDave��HotHead Nikee

This is a friend in disbelief. I too sometimes refer to my best friends as hoe or bitch.
    "hey hoe" "i love you hoebag" "hoe you not cute" and "bitch i guess u look alright" both meaning you look cute.

Here's what one article says

There have been at least three live-streamed suicides in the past month, two by teenage girls. And while suicide isn?t a new concern, the ability to live-stream the act ? and therefore encourage copycat behavior ? is an issue that experts fear could grow, especially among young adults.

One of the earliest cases of a live-streamed suicide was Abraham Biggs in 2008. The 19-year-old Florida teen had posted multiple times on an online body-building message board that he was planning to kill himself. Eventually, he linked to a live-stream site called Justin.tv, where the video showed him overdosing on prescription pills.

Bloggers egged him on and told him to ?go ahead and do it,? according to ABC News. Those bloggers said they didn?t believe it was real so they didn?t do anything to help.

Dr. Katherine Ramsland, a professor of forensic psychology at DeSales University in Pennsylvania who has studied suicide for 13 years, said that?s a common problem, especially in the age of reality television.

?Many people don?t think it?s real, maybe it?s a prank. It?s hard to believe,? Ramsland said. ?And there are also just nasty people out there who have been emboldened by the internet, trolls, or whatever you want to call them.?

The psychology behind a public suicide, such as live-streaming, isn?t straightforward, Ramsland said. Just like there are myriad reasons for suicide, reasons for live-streaming suicide also vary.

?Some people want to punish with their suicide. Some want to feel that connection to social media ? to take away the solitary feeling of the act but still be in an environment they feel at home in,? Ramsland said. ?Some want to get their name in the media, not for fame, because they don?t think they?ll be around for that, but because they want attention and they want people to notice.?

People who are considering suicide may make a statement they want others to hear, Ramsland added, and live-streaming gives them the opportunity to magnify that statement. Katelyn Nicole Davis, a 12-year-old in Georgia who killed herself on Dec. 30 on a live-streamed video on Live.me, said during her livestream that she had been sexually abused and had previous videos about dealing with depression.

In some cases, such as Biggs?, Ramsland said those live-streaming might hope that someone will help them. Long videos or suicide methods that take longer, such as overdoses or cutting, can be signs of that.

The potential harm of live-streaming suicide is very real, said Phyllis Alongi, clinical director at the Society for Prevention of Teen Suicide in New Jersey. It increases the chances of what experts call suicide contagion, which is also common after celebrities kill themselves.

?Imagine an adolescent feeling emotionally lost, almost invisible and witnessing the notoriety or memorialization of a teen who completed suicide, gaining attention in their immediate community as well as the vast amount of attention obtained from social media. This is the essence of contagion,? Alongi said. ?Live streamed suicide has significant negative impact on the family, the teens viewing the live stream, the community and anyone who is having suicidal thoughts.?

Adolescents especially seem susceptible to wanting to live-stream their suicides, Ramsland said. She said the highest risk population will likely be those in high school, who are more connected to social media. Older generations tend to see social media and live-streaming as more of a violation of their privacy than young people, she added.

Suicide is most common among people ages 45 to 64, at 19.6 per 100,000 people in 2015, according to the American Association of Suicidology. That?s followed by people 65 and older, at 16.6 per 100,000 people, and then those ages 15 to 24, at 12.5 per 100,000 people.

The cases of live-streamed suicide also illuminate struggles on how to deal with it on social media. The live-stream of Katelyn Nicole Davis lasted 40 minutes, and though her family took down the video shortly after, others copied it and posted it on social sites such as Facebook. Facebook at first told users who reported the video that it didn?t violate their policies, but two weeks after public outrage and a police request, they took down the video.

Naika Venant, a 14-year-old in foster care in Miami, broadcasted her suicide on Facebook Live overnight Sunday. Thousands watched as she prepared to hang herself in a video that lasted about two hours, and due to a series of tragic mistakes, emergency responders did not arrive in time to save her.

Ramsland said it?s difficult to know what to do if you see a live-streamed suicide but don?t know the person. Many people don?t call for help due to the bystander effect, or believing that someone else will intervene so you don?t have to.

If you do call 911, your local dispatcher likely won?t know any more than you do about the person?s location, Ramsland said. And due to the internet?s reach, they could easily be in a different state or even a different country. The best bet is to try to figure out the general location and then call first responders, as well as report it to Facebook and hope someone sees it in time who can help police identify a location.

?If someone does violate our Community Standards while using Live, we want to interrupt these streams as quickly as possible when they?re reported to us. So we?ve given people a way to report violations during a live broadcast,? Christine Chen, a spokeswoman for Facebook, said in a statement to the Miami Herald. ?We also suggest people contact law enforcement or emergency services themselves if they become aware of something where the authorities can help.?

Frederick Jay Bowdy, a 33-year-old aspiring actor from Texas, killed himself on Facebook Live in North Hollywood on Monday. An out-of-state family member called police, but he killed himself before police reached him.

Alongi said the only way to truly decrease the live-streaming of suicides is to cut down on the amount of suicides generally.

?We need to promote suicide prevention through awareness and education. We need to make it okay to ask for help for ourselves and others. We need to address the stigma of mental health and suicide,? Alongi said. ?We need to come together and ?attack? from all angles; parents, students, schools, organizations, agencies, and legislation.?

The National Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800- 273-TALK.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...#storylink=cpy

Rip Nakia

This really breaks my heart.

What is really sad is they don't realize that some day they won't be in middle school or high school... and life will get better.

My best friend from middle school killed herself in college when her boyfriend broke up with her. She was super smart, funny, very attractive... she could have easily found another guy. It was a complete waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkasaurus View Post
    What is really sad is they don't realize that some day they won't be in middle school or high school... and life will get better.

My best friend from middle school killed herself in college when her boyfriend broke up with her. She was super smart, funny, very attractive... she could have easily found another guy. It was a complete waste.
    You're right, it gets better, but we can't pretend life s magically any easier after school, just different challenges.

I'm sorry about your friend, that truly is sad and such a waste When it comes to relationships.. this too shall passssss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

True but any of us who are now in our 30's or older... we look back at ourselves at that age and see how immature we were.

Teens don't yet have the brain capacity to deal with their emotions (brains fully mature in mid-20's). They lack the life experience to put their own experience in perspective, so they are much more prone to impulsive actions.

I would say that even if life is hard, it is exponentially easier for most people once they get out of high school.

The mother of a Florida girl who streamed her suicide on Facebook Live has been accused of watching as her daughter killed herself and mocking her with messages on the post suggesting she was seeking attention and crying wolf.
    Gina Caze did nothing to stop her daughter Nakia Venant, 14, from committing suicide as the foster child broadcast her death in Miami in late January, a damning report from a child services department says.
    The Florida Department of Children and Families said Cazec even criticized her daughter as she watched the two-hour long Facebook Live video, calling Venant a 'custody jit' and and that she was a 'crying wolf...seeking attention', the department said Monday.
    Caze had a troublesome relationship with her daughter, as Venant was taken away from her due to physical abuse concerns.
    But the mother has strenuously denied she made the comments as she watched her daughter die.
    Venant was living with a foster family at the time of her death and was found hanged from the door frame in the bathroom, by Miami-Dade police.
    The comments to Venant were made from Caze's Facebook account with the user name Gina Alexis, reported Tampa Bay Times.
    One of the messages left said: '#ADHD games played u sad little DCF custody jit that's why u where u at for this dumb s--t n more u keep crying wolf u dead u will get buried life goes on after a jit that doesn't listen to there parents trying to be grown seeking boys and girls attention instead of her books.'
    The 14-year-old's short life was riddled with stints in foster homes, after she was taken away from Caze in 2009 because there were concerns that Venant was being physically abused by her mother.
    Following her removal from Caze's care, Venant was in foster care for 28 months over the course of eight years. At one point she was passed around to 14 different homes in the span of 16 months.

The DCF claim that she displayed inappropriate sexual behavior and that she admitted in a therapy session that she had seen pornographic videos and slept in the same room as Caze's boyfriends.
    In 2010 she was placed back in the care of Caze, only to be removed in 2014, but was then later returned after social workers insisted it was for the best.
    A year later, her mother relinquished custody, saying that she no longer wanted the teenager but remained in contact with her through social media sites.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4bLBxxOwx
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Just when you think a story can't get any worse- there goes Liv proving it does/can get much worse.

This is horrific.

What the hell is wrong with people? This mother is something else.

If I remember correctly on Katelyn it was Facebook live however it was screen shot (or video shot) and because it was 2 hours (before she was even found) or so many to see it, thus allowing so many websites had it that her parents begged for all media/internet sites that had it up to take it down. It is my understanding it is still out there on the internet, but I not nor would I search for it.

This is so tragic all the way around.

The system failed this girl in more ways than one.

Thread Information