Thread: Mark van Dongen (29) chose euthanasia after his girlfriend, Berlinah Wallace (48), allegedly paralyzed him by throwing acid on him

Mark van Dongen (29) chose euthanasia after his girlfriend, Berlinah Wallace (48), allegedly paralyzed him by throwing acid on him

Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-30-2022 at 09:31 AM.

It raises an interesting philosophical question, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Terrible. Poor guy.

Here is a FB page his brother set up for him: https://www.facebook.com/Mark-van-Do...3023255904252/

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks

RIP.
    Her ass needs to be locked away for life!

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    It does. Although what she did was seriously horrible, he was the one that opted for Euthanasia. She shouldn't have to face a murder charge. Although Attempted Murder is acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Forgive me for being dense, but what is the philosophical question? Whether or not she should be tried for murder or whether or not people have the right to opt for euthanasia?
    Sarcastic. Skeptic Tank. Self-deprecating.

Quote Originally Posted by Non_Saepe View Post
    Forgive me for being dense, but what is the philosophical question? Whether or not she should be tried for murder or whether or not people have the right to opt for euthanasia?
    I think they are questioning whether it is murder since he was actually alive and chose euthanasia himself. I actually think this case is worse than just outright murder. This is like torture before murder. No question, she murdered him in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    It does. Although what she did was seriously horrible, he was the one that opted for Euthanasia. She shouldn't have to face a murder charge. Although Attempted Murder is acceptable.
    It's absolutely murder. A machine was keeping him alive. And he would have died from his injuries eventually.

This is a long article, so I will just post the link. There is a lot more info in this story, including the issues and complications after the attack. I honestly think he would have died from the injuries/complications, even if he hadn't chosen euthanasia.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ect-ex-tongue/
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-09-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Non_Saepe View Post
    What Boston said... Your first option. She did attack him, probably attempted to murder him, but I'm not exactly comfortable charging someone with murder when the person who died made the decision to die.

On the other hand, if he refused life sustaining treatment and wasn't able to live on his own without it, I think I'd be ok with the murder charge. I've even seen it where a person lived several years after an attack and then the murderer was charged when the person finally succumbed, and I'm ok with that too because the injuries sustained in the attack led to the person's eventual death.

To me, we have no idea how long he would have lived or what his quality of life could have been because he chose to end it. I don't blame him for that, looking from an outside perspective, but people make all sorts of meaning in life despite their disabilities. It's possible he could have too (but not likely IMO).

ETA: now I see the info that he would have died no matter what so yeah, she's a murderer. I was just assuming that he could continue living under care and didn't want to because of the disabilities and pain.

For the record, I'm totally cool with people killing themselves for those reasons, but not with charging a person for murder if the victim did it for those reasons.
    Last edited by animosity; 11-09-2017 at 10:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Maybe charging her with (negligent homicide?) a charge where something she did to him resulted in his death. He wouldn't have chosen to end his life if she hadn't done what she did to him, and he easily could have died from what she had done with the acid...

That came out weird.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

What Boston said... Your first option. She did attack him, probably attempted to murder him, but I'm not exactly comfortable charging someone with murder when the person who died made the decision to die.

On the other hand, if he refused life sustaining treatment and wasn't able to live on his own without it, I think I'd be ok with the murder charge. I've even seen it where a person lived several years after an attack and then the murderer was charged when the person finally succumbed, and I'm ok with that too because the injuries sustained in the attack led to the person's eventual death.

To me, we have no idea how long he would have lived or what his quality of life could have been because he chose to end it. I don't blame him for that, looking from an outside perspective, but people make all sorts of meaning in life despite their disabilities. It's possible he could have too (but not likely IMO).

ETA: now I see the info that he would have died no matter what so yeah, she's a murderer. I was just assuming that he could continue living under care and didn't want to because of the disabilities and pain.

For the record, I'm totally cool with people killing themselves for those reasons, but not with charging a person for murder if the victim did it for those reasons.
    I, too, support assisted suicide. I know someone who did it. He was young (30s) and suffered from depression. I believe he went to Sweden and had to go through a long screening process. None of us were surprised. It actually fit his character.

As far as this case, I do not know what she should be charged with. I do think a punishment is in order but since I do not know anything about the law, I'm not sure what is appropriate. It was noted in the article above that he was suffering from depression, which led to his decision (in addition to being in constant pain). Is it safe to say she caused his depression? Surely it was related to dousing him with acid (good gawd, ya'll) but would that open the door for people to seek murder charges in other cases if they can 'prove' another person was responsible for their depression and subsequent suicide?

(Please know, I am not sympathetic to her and I think what happened to him was terrible. I'm still trying to figure out how to convey tone on the internet and I'm afraid I may come across as cold or bitchy instead of someone with genuine curiosity and a strong desire for answers. My psychiatrist and therapist say I have OCD, but I'm still on the fence.)
    Sarcastic. Skeptic Tank. Self-deprecating.

I want to know how he became paralyzed from the neck down from having acid thrown on him. Did he turn around and have acid thrown on his back? I feel icky asking that, but I'm genuinely curious.

I agree with the people who said she should be charged with murder. What did she think was going to happen when she poured acid on him?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by sdhoney View Post
    It's absolutely murder. A machine was keeping him alive. And he would have died from his injuries eventually.
    I personally feel it's still murder, but I'm going by what the laws dictate. I never said I liked that it isn't considered murder if he chose to die. And yes, he probably would have eventually died, but he did choose to end it so there's no way of knowing if/when he would have died. Does it suck? Yes, nobody should have to suffer for years just to convict someone of what they're responsible for. But it's what the law dictates.

This happened in Bristol, UK close to where I live.

Acid attacks in the UK have become almost an epidemic in the last year. It is now punishable with a maximum of life in prison even if the attacker misses the victim.

Technically she obviously didn't murder him in the eyes of the law but like others have said, I think her attack was just as bad if not worse than murder. I mean you shoot someone in the head and kill them and (generally) they won't suffer like this poor man did. He spent all those months trying to recover, in what must have been awful pain and paralysed in his broken body. That is torture. Then to feel his only option was to travel for euthanasia as the age of 29.

I hope her sentence reflects the suffering she caused him. Sick bitch.

I definitely think this chick should burn but I understand why some are questioning a murder charge. If they were to charge her it would set a dangerous precedent. People could start committing suicide and blaming their decision on a perceived injustice by someone when in reality they are mentally ill or seeking revenge. Where would we draw the line? Too slippery a slope if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Schumidity85 View Post
    I definitely think this chick should burn but I understand why some are questioning a murder charge. If they were to charge her it would set a dangerous precedent. People could start committing suicide and blaming their decision on a perceived injustice by someone when in reality they are mentally ill or seeking revenge. Where would we draw the line? Too slippery a slope if you ask me.
    We've actually had two cases recently (that I know of, there are probably more) where people were charged with manslaughter or murder after they encouraged and egged someone on to commit suicide. To me, this case is much more clear cut murder than those cases.

Wow, what pain he must have been in. This is from the FB page that his brother set up. The last sentence is missing the end.

Mark is unfortunately dying for the consequences of this attack on his life after an incredible heavy battle of 15 months and 10 days on 02-01-2017 at the Maria Hospital Overpelt in Belgium at the age of 29 years.
    Mark fought with all his strength to survive the injuries. Mark was burned for 87% over his body due to the sulfuric acid attack. Mark 1 eye, 1 ear, his upper lip and his left leg was missing, and was up to his shoulders were paralyzed because his muscle tissue was

I have to agree with Boston, although he eventually would have passed due to his injuries, he chose to take his life (and I sure as hell don't blame him for that) so by US law (I understand, they are overseas) the charges would not be murder. She definitely needs to spend the rest of her life in prison so hopefully she will be found guilty of any charges she is charged with. Sounds like he made sure by the video that any court can see the pain he was in due to his injuries.

This reminds me a little of the case here in US where the boyfriend lit his g/f on fire and she made sure to have the video that was shown in court. He was eventually charged with her murder as she died from her injuries.

People are just sick these days, I mean who does this shit and thinks "oh this is okay"?

How incredibly sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Why?

Because I don't like anal penetration sex between men, I don't.

Just because I don't like anal sex, doesn't make me any less gay or unable to be loved.

I can't be the only one out here, I'm just not. Don't worry about it. Mind your fucking business.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    We've actually had two cases recently (that I know of, there are probably more) where people were charged with manslaughter or murder after they encouraged and egged someone on to commit suicide. To me, this case is much more clear cut murder than those cases.
    I thought of the suicide angle and of those cases too. The difference is that in the suicide cases, there is direct evidence showing that the perpetrators manipulated and convinced the person to commit suicide. Basically using them as their own weapon. Someone committing suicide and pointing the finger to get revenge wouldn't have that kind of evidence.

Yes, I agree that in this case it's more obvious that her actions led to his death. We'll just have to see how they handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by highhopes View Post
    This happened in Bristol, UK close to where I live.

Acid attacks in the UK have become almost an epidemic in the last year. It is now punishable with a maximum of life in prison even if the attacker misses the victim.

Technically she obviously didn't murder him in the eyes of the law but like others have said, I think her attack was just as bad if not worse than murder. I mean you shoot someone in the head and kill them and (generally) they won't suffer like this poor man did. He spent all those months trying to recover, in what must have been awful pain and paralysed in his broken body. That is torture. Then to feel his only option was to travel for euthanasia as the age of 29.

I hope her sentence reflects the suffering she caused him. Sick bitch.
    That?s interesting about the rise in acid attacks. Any idea why that is?

Also, what do people use sulphuric acid for that it is so easily obtainable? (my mama didn't raise no scientist, so I don't even know what it is.)

https://people.com/crime/jealous-wom...ife-in-prison/

Jealous Woman Who Disfigured Ex With Acid, Leading Him to Euthanasia, Gets Life in Prison

Thread Information