Thread: Over 400 dead, thousands missing after flood in Democratic Republic of Congo

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.

Over 400 dead, thousands missing after flood in Democratic Republic of Congo

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa...al-2023-05-09/

KALEHE, Democratic Republic of Congo, May 9 (Reuters) - The death toll from flooding in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo crept higher on Tuesday as aid workers found more bodies among the muddy devastation and wounded residents succumbed to their injuries in an underequipped local clinic.

The floods, in a remote, mountainous area of South Kivu province, ripped through the riverside villages of Nyamukubi and Bushushu five days ago, razing houses, destroying crops and killing more than 400 people.

It was the deadliest natural disaster in recent Congo history.

Survivor Paul Serushago was still searching for the bodies of two family members on Tuesday, digging with a spade in the mud and debris that reached halfway up the doorway of their home in Nyamukubi.

"We've been looking for them since Friday and we haven't found them yet," he said, taking a short break from the back-breaking work.

The scale of destruction has highlighted the vulnerability of people to climate change in many parts of Africa, where poor urban planning and weak infrastructure means communities often cannot withstand increasing bouts of extreme weather.

In Nyamukubi, entire neighbourhoods have been run over with boulders, and the stink of dead bodies wafts from the earth, a Reuters reporter at the scene said. The homeless are packed into the few public buildings left intact, with poor sanitation.

The Red Cross believes that over 8,000 people are in need of assistance. Aid efforts have been hobbled by a lack of access and resources.

"We're not able to deal with this many bodies as urgently as needed. We're searching for bodies with spades, with hands," said John Kashinzwe Kibekenge, spokesperson for the Red Cross in South Kivu province.

More than 5,500 people remain unaccounted for, local administrator Thomas Bakenga Zirimwabagabo said.

What a horrendous and sad situation.

Thank you BWS for making all of these threads!

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    What a horrendous and sad situation.

Thank you BWS for making all of these threads!
    You're welcome. Just drinking my coffee and reading up before work.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    This is devastating! How horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Thread Information