Thread: Asha Degree (9) missing from Shelby, SC since 2/14/00

Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar

Asha Degree (9) missing from Shelby, SC since 2/14/00

Her Charley Project page:http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/degree_asha.html

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...171512457.html

FBI renews long-running missing girl investigation: ?Tell us what you know.?

In a cold case that has baffled investigators for 17 years, authorities today announced beefed-up efforts to find out what happened to nine-year-old Asha Degree after she disappeared from her Shelby home.

Asha vanished in the middle of the night, on Feb. 14, 2000.

Drivers said they saw her walking along N.C. 18 in Shelby around 4 a.m., and her family called the authorities at 6:30 that morning. Detectives have been looking for her ever since.

Asha?s 27th birthday was last month, and the FBI announced Wednesday that the agencies investigating her disappearance ? the FBI, the Cleveland County Sheriff?s Office and the N.C. State Bureau of Investigations ? will partner with a team from FBI headquarters with specialized training in missing children cases.
    Investigators believe someone in or near Shelby knows more about the case than they?ve admitted so far, said John Strong. Strong leads the FBI?s Charlotte field office, which includes Cleveland County.

The team will interview past subjects again and also try to talk to new people, Wilson and Strong said.

?You may see our investigative team over the next week in Cleveland County,? Strong said. ?Please talk to them. Even if you think what you know may not be of help ? let us decide. Tell us what you know.?

Strong said investigators are working on the assumption that Asha is alive.

Detectives have kept her case open all these years, with some progress and some false leads.

A year after she went missing, her backpack was found buried along N.C. 18 in Burke County ? miles from where she was last seen. Some of her belongings were still inside, authorities said.

This is a case that I will always remember. Something about the markers or whatever in the shed stuck with me.

I wonder if they have any reason to believe she is alive? It would be crazy if she was! Though, I would imagine if she was alive, she was being held against her will, which sucks. I just feel like she knew she was loved by her family and would have reached out if she could.

The buried back pack always made me feel like she was dead.. but a podcast I was listening to said that it was almost like whoever put it there wanted it to be found? And they bagged it to keep it from breaking down? So maybe there is something to that.

Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar
    https://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/...d-20-years-ago

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children released an updated age-progression photo on Feb. 14 of a missing 9-year-old girl who left her home in Shelby, NC, 20 years ago today.

Asha Degree disappeared from her home in Shelby on Valentine's Day, February 14, 2000.
    In October 2019, the Cleveland County Sheriff's Office investigative team said they discovered two new items of interest that could possibly provide new leads about Asha's disappearance

The first possible clue was a library book written by Dr. Seuss titled, 'McElligot's Pool.' Investigators said library records do not go back to the year 2000 and they're looking for anyone who may have had this book around the time she went missing.

The second item of interest was a New Kids on the Block concert t-shirt. Anyone who thinks they may have had a t-shirt, like the one the sheriff's office mentioned, or knows someone who may have owned one, should contact the sheriff's office.

Thread Information