Thread: Krissie Carter (48) and Wanda Walters (61) shot and killed

Krissie Carter (48) and Wanda Walters (61) shot and killed

Horrible news from Clovis, New Mexico. Library workers Krissie Carter and Wanda Walters shot and killed and four others injured at the Clovis Carter Public Library.

Two people were killed and four others were wounded when a gunman opened fire Monday afternoon inside a public library in Clovis, N.M.

A lone male suspect is in custody, police said, but his motive remains unclear.

Police Chief Douglas Ford said two females were killed, and two males and two females were injured. The injured were transported to a hospital across the state line in Lubbock, Tex., Reuters reported.

Speaking at a hastily arranged news conference Monday evening, Clovis Mayor David Lansford credited the city?s police department for its quick and immediate response.

?This could?ve been much worse, but because of their training and their expertise and their courage, it was kept at a minimum,? Lansford said.

Officials have not provided names or ages for the victims or the alleged shooter, pending notification of their families.

Witnesses described a chaotic scene as the shooter entered the library and began firing at around 4:15 p.m. local time.

Lisa Baird told the Eastern New Mexico News that she observed a ?young man? with a handgun fire several shots into the carpet in front of him, and yell: ?Run! Why aren?t you running? I?m shooting at you! Run!?

Baird added she hid under a desk ?and tried to squish up as small as possible,? but could hear the person continue shooting as he moved around the library.

?Then I heard his pants ?shooshing? as he approached the end of the reference desk,? Baird told the newspaper. ?I heard a sound like a phone or something being put on the reference counter at the end of the desk, about four feet from my head.?

[The math of mass shootings]

Sam Nathavong told KRQE News 13 that the shooter fired four or five rounds before approaching him.

?He just started unloading, pretty much the whole clip,? Nathavong told the news station. ?I just kept my head down. I threw the table against the door to barricade myself in there. I thought he was coming my way but by then the cops got there.?

Ford said the gunman did not exchange fire with authorities and surrendered immediately when confronted. He did not resist arrest, the chief said.

Police then swept the building to ensure there were no other threats.

A photo posted to the Eastern New Mexico News website showed a male dressed in jeans and a short-sleeve black shirt being led away from the library in handcuffs. Local media identified the shooter as a teenager.

It?s unclear how many patrons were inside the library when the shooting began, although it appears many were children.

One image from the scene showed a Clovis police officer, a rifle slung over his shoulder, carrying a small boy away from the building. Others showed children moving with police behind the relative safety of a parked van.

In another photo, a young woman, appearing dazed and bleeding, is seen being carried into an ambulance.

?This is a very young stage of this investigation,? Ford said, ?so we?re not going to have a whole lot more we can tell you until we?ve had time to finish gathering details and data, and look at everything we need to look at.?

The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives indicated it is supporting the local and state police.

Clovis, approximately 200 miles east of Albuquerque, is home to 40,000 residents and Cannon Air Force Base.

Police there have responded to shootings before, but ?not to this magnitude,? Clovis police spokesman Lt. Robert Telles told The Post on Tuesday.

Lansford, the mayor, described the shooting as a ?big blow to our community.?

?We?re all hurting right now,? he said.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c6e783db6746
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.

The shooter is 16 year old Nathaniel Jouett.

https://www.facebook.com/nathaniel.jouett

I think this is his most recent FB: https://www.facebook.com/nathaniel.jouett.3

Damn. People aren't safe anywhere these days! I *think* you have to walk through metal detectors to get into our local public library.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    I think this is his most recent FB: https://www.facebook.com/nathaniel.jouett.3
    on that page, someone ask him "did you shoot up the library" yesterday on his second post down.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Damn. People aren't safe anywhere these days! I *think* you have to walk through metal detectors to get into our local public library.
    Probably not. Most libraries only have theft detection systems that will set of an alarm if you try to take an unchecked out book.

lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2017...e_in_a_library

https://www.myhighplains.com/news/ne...rary-shooting/

Two life sentences, plus 40 more years with the possibility of parole.

Nathaniel Jouett, 18, is sentenced to less time than what the state was asking for. The judge sentenced him to two life sentences, which will run concurrently–meaning he will serve them both at the same time.

Jouett’s counsel was asking for only 20 years in prison with parole, claiming he was in, “Psychological turmoil, in the years leading up to the shooting,” and said his childhood was difficult.

However, the judge ruled the lives of those he took deserved a harsher sentence.

Back in 2017, Wanda Walters and Kristina Carter were killed, and four others, including a 10-year-old boy, were injured, when Jouett opened fire inside the Clovis-Carver Public Library.

Jouett was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility, but not guarantee, of parole.

There was a lot going into the judge’s decision.

After the shooting, a search warrant was served, and notes outlining Jouett’s plan were found.

In court documents, police laid out then16-year-old Jouett’s plan, naming Clovis High School as his original target before he changed his mind.

Those documents also show Jouett admitted to the shooting that he, “had been planning for a while.”

Jouett took two guns from his dad’s safe at home and wanted to, in his words, “shoot up a school and then kill himself.” Instead, he wound up at the library.

The judge today took all of this into account, plus testimony from doctors who evaluated Jouett’s mental state during and leading up to the shooting. But, the judge says Jouett acted alone and knew what he was doing.

“What Dr. Kavanaugh testified to, is that studies have shown even the presence of peers, such as through social media, can lead to more risk-taking behaviors. Nathanial posted the photo of the backpack holding the weapons and ammunition on social media while he was in the library, with the caption, ‘It begins,'” said Judge James Hudson.

Another difficulty the judge said he faced in his decision was the fact that while a grand jury ruled to try Jouett as an adult, he could still be sentenced as a juvenile since he was 16 at the time of the shooting. The argument that juveniles are more likely to be rehabilitated than adults is what contributed to the judge’s decision to leave a possibility for parole.

Another stipulation the judge put into place, which is expected, is that Jouett cannot initiate contact with any of the victims or the victims’ family members.

Jouett also faces 40 additional years in prison for the injuries of the others, which will be served consecutively to his two life sentences for the two murders.

You do bad things, you face harsh consequences. A belated RIP to the two ladies this punk killed.

Thread Information