Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Siblings Christopher Chappell (20), Elizabeth Chappell (19), James Chappell (15) all died within three days of each other

This is the scariest type of disease to me as a parent, when a kid makes it to 5-10 years old with no signs of anything wrong and suddenly develops something like this where they lose their entire personality and can't do anything but lay there. The obituary is heartbreaking because it shows that they only knew what their children were like until the disease took over at a young age.

I don't think there's any way all 3 of these kids actually died naturally within 3 days, though. I'm pretty sure there was palliative acceleration of death of some sort, probably for the best honestly.

Edited to add, maybe there was a communicable thing in their household, and these three were not strong enough to withstand it. That seems possible. Like pneumonia or something and all three of them got it.

Quote Originally Posted by becoming View Post
    This is the scariest type of disease to me as a parent, when a kid makes it to 5-10 years old with no signs of anything wrong and suddenly develops something like this where they lose their entire personality and can't do anything but lay there. The obituary is heartbreaking because it shows that they only knew what their children were like until the disease took over at a young age.

I don't think there's any way all 3 of these kids actually died naturally within 3 days, though. I'm pretty sure there was palliative acceleration of death of some sort, probably for the best honestly.

Edited to add, maybe there was a communicable thing in their household, and these three were not strong enough to withstand it. That seems possible. Like pneumonia or something and all three of them got it.
    Good point.

Per the parents' Facebook, they have a 4th kid with Batten's.
    I can't link to it right now because I'm using the iPad app, but it's under the name Les Celeste Kerlin Chappell.

I think most of you know that I have 4 children that suffer from a degenerative condition called Batten Disease which causes blindness, seizures, and dementia. Eventually, children with Batten disease become bedridden and unable to communicate, and, presently, it is always fatal.

https://www.bdsra.org/what-is-batten...what-is-batten

Currently, there is no cure or treatment for Batten Disease, but with ongoing research there is hope that one day there will be. Each year families affected by Batten Disease do various fund raisers to fund research related to Batten Disease. This Friday I'm putting on the 3rd annual "Hoops for Hope" basketball tournament in Schaumburg, IL. If you'd like to donate to this good cause here's the link to do so:

http://www.bdsra.org/donate

Please indicate donation in honor of "Chris, Elizabeth, James, and Samuel Chappell" and "Hoops for Hope" in the Additional Comments field.

Thanks!

Thanks for the FB! :)
    Very curious about this one.
    Here's the FB:
    https://m.facebook.com/les.chappell.79

So they stopped tube feeding them and they died that quick?? I thought it would take longer than that.
    They must have used the collapsible coffins like they do down here to bury then on top of one another like that.
    What an awful disease. I couldn't begin to imagine what this poor family is going through. So many losses at once and knowing that more is coming..I'd probably lose my mind. Just heartbreaking!

Well, this makes much more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Wow, that is a fantastic write-up, it really sheds some light on the situation. I cannot even imagine their grief.
    I can't imagine having 4 kids that you know are going to die soon.

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

New question: is letting them all go at once better than one at a time? Like ripping a bandaid off... I'd say yes??? Ugh. It's so sad either way and I'll never understand the pain they face.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    New question: is letting them all go at once better than one at a time? Like ripping a bandaid off... I'd say yes??? Ugh. It's so sad either way and I'll never understand the pain they face.
    Yes. This and knowing that they'd probably would want to go together as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

That is such a heart wrenching read! The strength the parents had -- unimaginable!

Years of suffering and months of struggling with the decision to end it had brought them here: To a bright white living room where three of their children lay side by side by side, waiting to die.

Les and Celeste Chappell loved the children, of course, and the thought of letting them go was excruciating, but holding on was just as painful.

The children Christopher, 20; Elizabeth, 19; and James, 15 had been ravaged by a ruthless neurological disorder that, over the years, had stolen their ability to see and to swallow, to move and to remember. Life support was only prolonging the inevitable.

So one Thursday in July, at their home in Springville, Utah, the parents braced themselves for what would become a long weekend of death.

The three children were made comfortable with morphine and lorazepam, a sedative used to control seizures, and their parents started to pray.

Then they stopped the tube-feedings and watched their children, one by one, silently slip away.
    I can be your *ADDICTION* if you wanna get hooked on something!!

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I can't even begin to imagine. So horrid.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

It?s really sad, tragic and unfair. I feel for them but they are damn heroes in my eyes for letting them go and stopping their suffering unlike Jahi?s family.

I find it hard not to question their decision to have more kids after having four with a disease that guarantees suffering and early death. And they really started dying just hours after pulling the feeding tube? It seems odd that all of them died so quickly. Whatever happened, that has to be the hardest thing to go through.

Cute picture of them.

Thank god everyone jumped on the "parents did it' bandwagon.......

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I find it hard not to question their decision to have more kids after having four with a disease that guarantees suffering and early death. And they really started dying just hours after pulling the feeding tube? It seems odd that all of them died so quickly. Whatever happened, that has to be the hardest thing to go through.
    I think by the time the older ones were actually diagnosed, she was already pregnant with the youngest one that has it, so it could have just been that they didn't know at that point, they knew something was wrong but not that it was going to turn into all 4 of them dying, is my guess. Also the odds of successive kids having it were pretty low, I don't remember what the article said exactly but it was in the hundreds of thousands to one odds.

I agree with the bandaid method, it seems all three were deteriorating pretty quickly, especially if they died that quickly after feeding tubes were removed. They may have cranked up the comfort medicine some too, I know I would rather than watch my kid essentially starve to death, especially when there is no way they will be recovering.

The part about the grave now just waiting for Samuel made me so sad. It was hard reading about all of the things that the kids enjoyed before the disease absolutely took over their bodies.

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar
    I can't imagine what this whole family is going through or how anyone can live life day after day knowing what a horrible ending your children will face.
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    Thank god everyone jumped on the "parents did it' bandwagon.......
    I mean, we weren't wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I mean, we weren't wrong though.
    Removing life support from someone who is only alive from it is way different than making them od.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    Removing life support from someone who is only alive from it is way different than making them od.
    They removed feeding tubes, which is basically dehydrating someone over several days to weeks while keeping them comfortable until they die. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't really believe they died without artificial feeding within hours/a couple days without further help from something else. I don't think there's anything wrong with that either. Mom is a nurse. I think she knew exactly how it was going to play out. I would probably do the same in her position.

The article Emmy posted clearly states they were given morphine and lorazepam. And while people can live a while on morphine, and we have no idea what dosages they were given, I think there's a good chance they were given enough to "help them along" since death was inevitable once their feeding tubes were removed. These were not patients who could possibly live for months like other terminally ill patients. They were going to die in a relatively short period of time, regardless. (Disclaimer: Not a health care professional.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

They did they last kind thing they could for their children. That is heartbreaking and must have been so difficult. With one child let alone 3.

They are obviously religious and believe in heaven so I guess it was a comfort to believe all three children would go and be together. I feel bad for their 11 year old who also has it. I don't know if he is mentally handicapped due to the disease, but if he isn't it must be awful to know he has what his siblings had. And watch them all die like that

Isn't this illegal? Besides, starving is painful I would definitely dial up the morphine. Stomach's hurts after one missed meal let alone a couple days. BTW I have a very special child and make no judgement on any parent. I am thinking about the right to die for terminally I'll patients being an impossibility for most. Poor Sam was watching what would eventually end his life. How do you explain that?

Thread Information