Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Justine Ruszczyk (40) was shot dead by police after she called 911 to report a disturbance

Quote Originally Posted by Ruujin View Post
    None of the police shootings should happen, none. I have seen most of you miss what I was saying earlier about the Aussie thing though, and that's probably because you don't know what it is like to not need to fear police. Aussies don't fear police if they have done nothing wrong. Americans fear police at all times. She didn't know she was in grave danger when she called 911.

I still don't understand how Americans think having guns makes you safer, it just seems to make your police jumpier and more likely to shoot first ask questions later.

I think the police searching for dirt on someone that they murder is appalling too, but kinda thrilled they didn't find anything to dim the horror this time.

I didn't bring up Tamar Rice, or Philandro Castel, or any of the other innocent shootings, because this is Justine's thread, and they have their own. I am allowed to feel sorry for someone who thought she was in a civilised country doing the right thing for a stranger, and that still doesn't make me less outraged for the indifference Americans have for their own people, or for the loss of innocent lives that shouldn't have been taken by the people who should be there to protect them.
    Clarification : Some people in Australia don't fear police. Others have good reason to.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Clarification : Some people in Australia don't fear police. Others have good reason to.
    I don't personally fear police. I've never done anything to warrant them even knowing I exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    I don't personally fear police. I've never done anything to warrant them even knowing I exist.
    Turns out that wont stop them shooting you 😐

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    I wasn't touching on our current situation, racial wise, because that's a whole other kettle of fish - I was just excited that people are open to this convo!

I plan to do a whole Elijah update soon, i'm just still raw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

Really? I'm kinda of jealous of you.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Quote Originally Posted by puke View Post
    Really? I'm kinda of jealous of you.
    lol I have never been so much as spoken to sternly by a cop

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    lol I have never been so much as spoken to sternly by a cop
    White men have it good. Fuck the police. I've been treated wrongly quite a bit, and I know that it was due to the color of my skin. Lucky you.
    Once again, I feel sorry that she was killed, but it is so hard for me to rally for him to be fired when if the races were reversed, that wouldn't even be part of the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    White men have it good. Fuck the police. I've been treated wrongly quite a bit, and I know that it was due to the color of my skin. Lucky you.
    Once again, I feel sorry that she was killed, but it is so hard for me to rally for him to be fired when if the races were reversed, that wouldn't even be part of the conversation.
    I have to say, this is borderline racist sounding. She was an innocent person who was killed for no reason. It is just as fucked up as ANY POC killed unnecessarily.

Queen, trust me, we hit on this daily, everywhere, there's also a current case in Aus where a guy got off for killing a child of colour, which is what Blighted was alluding to above, and it's fucking infuriating - however, this thread and story is helpful for us, really. It shows the difference between media coverage, it shows the difference in outrage, it shows that there is an issue and that sadly this might make more people take in account that past deaths they may of glossed over due to their bigotry (not ideal, but again, hopefully helpful in moving things forward).

We can't just bring everything back to the same issues without utilising the new information we have. Here? We have a brilliant example of media coverage because she was a white, foreigner, from your bestest little bitch friend Australia. This IS helpful - it shows the disparity. I understand feeling angry, and helpless about this shit, but try and see the few wins we have - this is tragic, but no more tragic than any other police related death, however the coverage has been 30000 times heavier - use this example next time.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I have to say, this is borderline racist sounding. She was an innocent person who was killed for no reason. It is just as fucked up as ANY POC killed unnecessarily.
    I get both of your sides. NOBODY should be killed by the Police.

But you have to understand the frustration of Thousands of black people killed by the police and not one notice from the public as a whole (meaning everyone) and all of a sudden a White Woman is killed and everyone is outraged. We're going back to the beginning of time with black people being killed by LE. They even have a spot on the KKK application that specifically asks "Are you in Law Enforcement? If so, what branch and rank? "
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

In regards to the media coverage, I don't think is because people don't care or want to know about it that it isn't covered as well. We just have shit media coverage. I want less biased reporting, but I can only read what is out there so to speak. In regards to Elija, that breaks my heart the asshole got a traffic misdemeanour for planning and carrying out an execution of a young boy. There was no way hunting children down in a 4wd and running over them was an accident. Hopefully the dude dies of a massive heart attack.

ie

NOT racist but realist.

Just wanted to point this tidbit out.

I get everyone's side here. I am sure this won't be a popular post, but my problem is that NO ONE seems to stick up for each other. White people in general don't get outraged until a white person is shot. After 9-11, when people who even appeared to be Arabic or Muslim were being killed, the Black community in general said nothing. No one is standing up for the abuses that Indigenous people have suffered.

Lets all be honest. There is racism, or at least the idea that "well, at least it's not me or the group I identity with this time...let someone else experience it for a change" throughout our society today. It sucks.

I always think of the old poem about the Nazi's where they came for each group, and the person telling the story says that he didn't stand up for that group (gays, gypsys, Jews, etc) because he wasn't a member of that group. Then at the end, when the Nazis come for him, there was no one left to speak up. I think we are well on the way to that place.

The more I think about race in america, the more I see it intertwined in everything. We've built this country based on white, patriarchal ideals and almost all white produced media uses a formula that has become standard... movies and music produce content that pushes the narrative of poor/violent black societies and pure/innocent white societies.

The news media follows suit because it's good for ratings in a majority white country. People like to understand the world as they know it to be true and get angry and frustrated when situations don't conform to their stereotypical view. Since most white people don't know any black people outside of their white working environment, they see black people who conform to white standards as exceptions to the rule based on media portrayals of "black culture." The people they know are the "good blacks" and all the others they hear about in the news fall into the "bad" blacks by default.

Also, this isn't specific to black people but all minority cultures, gay, immigrant, Muslim, etc.

This is a case example of the tragic, pure white death trope. Don't worry! Somehow will figure out how to blame black people. I mean, if they didn't make the cops so jumpy with all their violence, this probably wouldn't happen, amirite? /sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

What the fuck happened with this thread?

What the fuck happened with this thread?
    Cops shot it 😜

9/11 was a wonderful outcome in regards to giving you guys a new target; Muslims. Enjoy that oil, yo. Agreed on people not standing for others, but some do, we do - which is why I love it here. You guys may not know it, but some of our Indigenous threads, or Aboriginal threads on here are still the first results on google for those words. It's small, but it's coverage. (Also why I get a little ranty, someone who needs to might read it).

I hate that this particular shooting got the coverage it has vs the others we see, however it's a good example of race disparity, that we can now refer to anytime someone tries to tell us to STFU. (Not that people tend to care about fact)

Point of this is, I see the good we have in here, and it gives me hope. The fact we cover all the shootings we can, of any race, means it's documented, somewhere, for people to find and see the sheer numbers. I hate that my American friends live in a world where they're either open to being shot at work, school or home - OR if they call for help, they still might get shot - that's fucking horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I get both of your sides. NOBODY should be killed by the Police.

But you have to understand the frustration of Thousands of black people killed by the police and not one notice from the public as a whole (meaning everyone) and all of a sudden a White Woman is killed and everyone is outraged. We're going back to the beginning of time with black people being killed by LE. They even have a spot on the KKK application that specifically asks "Are you in Law Enforcement? If so, what branch and rank? "
    By no means am I trying to gloss over the history of the experiences of minorities in this country. The reason for my statement was because Queena was glossing over this death, which came off as to her, only black lives matter and talk down to me because "I have had it easy as a white male" which pissed me off because she knows absolutely nothing about my life, which sounds like she is being a bigot herself.

I've participated in BLM marches in my city. I reject the blue lives matter and the all lives matter from the other side because I am very aware of my white privilege. It saddens me to think that the people I walk with and support would not feel the same way if my loved one were murdered by police. I'm sorry it's hard for you to feel anger towards an officer because of the color of his skin. I've come to the conclusion that no lives matter, not even mine.
    Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups

By no means am I trying to gloss over the history of the experiences of minorities in this country. The reason for my statement was because Queena was glossing over this death, which came off as to her, only black lives matter and talk down to me because "I have had it easy as a white male" which pissed me off because she knows absolutely nothing about my life, which sounds like she is being a bigot herself.
    But. Does she really know? Really know what it feels like to be singled out from the moment she leaves the door?

You've even admitted that you've never experienced that. Wake up.

It's only a race thing....

Because it is

I get it, but I can't say that if my family and friends who were disparaged were killed for eons and virtually ignored that I wouldn't hold some kind of resentment at the fact that some white chick from another country garnered outrage when THOUSANDS have been ignored forever.

Trying to see it from the other side. That's all. And that's not saying that people of all races aren't accepted in the fight, or that anyone subjected to police brutality don't matter, just that we should understand the difference.
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 08-02-2017 at 10:58 PM.

I get it, but I can't say that if my family and friends who were disparaged were killed for eons and virtually ignored that I wouldn't hold some kind of resentment at the fact that some white chick from another country garnered outrage when THOUSANDS have been ignored forever.

Trying to see it from the other side. That's all. And that's not saying that people of all races aren't accepted in the fight, or that anyone subjected to police brutality don't matter, just that we should understand the difference.
    If it makes you feel any better ( and I know it won't), I doubt this poor woman's death will change anything. Columbine, Va Tech, Sandy Hook, Orlando, all the wrongful deaths recorded on cop-cam and NOTHING has changed no matter how many of us write to our Congressman, march on Washington, speak before the Senate, and vote for those who say they'll bring this "Rifle Madness" under control.

I would give damn near anything for my country to have followed Australia's footsteps, but it's hard to keep writing and speaking and pushing when change just doesn't seem to be happening.
    [quote author=thanatos link=topic=5272.msg211093#msg211093 date=1172939327]<br />Thank you! Good Karma for you! I&#39;m sick of everyone using &quot;bi-polar&quot; as an excuse for violent behavior. Pet peeve here. :2angry:<br />[/quote][quote author=Olivia link=topic=5272.msg

But. Does she really know? Really know what it feels like to be singled out from the moment she leaves the door?

You've even admitted that you've never experienced that. Wake up.
    I totally get what your saying... , i have lived in places where im singled out. Where im the minority as a white person (Australia ie parts of western sydney aint as "white" as some may think) and i can say ive seen racisim and discrimination in my personal life and at work coming from both sides. I haven't gotten promotions because of my color (i believe) , ive been targeted as a robbery victim because of my color etc etc..... and i could justify all of it with historical events etc but fact is two wrongs dont make a right, and i cant control actions of every other white man that ever walked the earth no one of any race should be held responsible for the shit we all know was wrong today. More hate wont bring peace or unity. I dont have a solution... but i wish someone would find it

Freeman answers questions about Damond shooting

Neighbors pressed the Hennepin County attorney about police, investigators' handling of the police shooting during a Minneapolis neighborhood forum Sunday

Minneapolis residents questioned Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman on Sunday afternoon about the police shooting of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, including why officer Mohamed Noor wasn?t sitting in jail as a civilian would be after a deadly shooting.

?I don?t understand where this double standard comes from,? said Todd Schuman, who lives a block from the Damond home. ?It?s infuriating to us.?

Freeman said he couldn?t answer the question because he hadn?t thought about it ?quite that way? before.

Damond, 40, a native of Australia who was engaged to be married, was killed July 15 when she called 911 to report a possible sexual assault in the alley behind her Fulton neighborhood home. Noor fired at her as she approached the squad car he was riding in.

Since then, her friends and neighbors have demanded information about the investigation, which is being conducted by the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.

Their tones ranging from angry to curious, about 50 southwest Minneapolis residents gathered in a park building to talk with Freeman and Linea Palmisano, the Minneapolis City Council member representing the 13th Ward. The event was one of a series of neighborhood forums regularly held by Palmisano.

Freeman told the group that he couldn?t say much about the Damond case specifically, especially regarding evidence collected.

But Damond?s shooting shouldn?t have happened, Freeman said.

?I?m saddened by the death of this fine young woman,? Freeman said. ?It didn?t have to happen. It shouldn?t have happened."

His job is to determine whether Noor has done something criminal, Freeman said, and whether there is enough admissible evidence to support a charge.

Residents also asked what the BCA was looking for at the Damond home when they searched it the morning after the killing; some people saw it as invasive and unnecessary.

Palmisano said she had received that question several times. Sometimes police are just eliminating possibilities of what could have happened, she said.

Freeman commented: ?I really can?t answer that. There will be an answer down the road.?

Several times, Freeman referred to other high-profile officer-involved shootings, like the Jamar Clark case in Minneapolis and Philando Castile in Falcon Heights, as examples of how things might proceed.

In a surprise, Freeman shared his thoughts on the outcome of the Castile case, which ended in officer Jeronimo Yanez?s acquittal three months ago.

?That jury was wrong,? Freeman said, adding that Yanez was a good cop who panicked.

Freeman also used the Jamar Clark case for context. It took six months to make a charging decision in the case of Clark, who was shot in north Minneapolis in November 2015. Freeman said that, in the end, he couldn?t charge the two police officers in Clark?s death. That decision spawned months of protests and continues to be a sore spot.

The decision of whether to charge Noor will likely be made by the end of the year, Freeman said.

Residents also asked questions about body cameras, which weren?t on during the Damond shooting, and how residents could become more involved and make changes in the system.

Several expressed general frustration with law enforcement. ?The police have lost our faith completely,? said Mindy Barry, Damond?s neighbor. ?In our mind, true justice in this case is police reform.?

One man thanked Freeman ?for being here and being vulnerable.?

The BCA is still investigating the Damond case, Freeman said.

?We will spare no time and no expense trying to learn everything that occurred,? he said. ?People have been pushing me ? I ain?t going to be pushed."
    http://www.startribune.com/freeman-a...ing/443607803/

Thread Information