Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Justine Ruszczyk (40) was shot dead by police after she called 911 to report a disturbance

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    By no means am I trying to gloss over the history of the experiences of minorities in this country. The reason for my statement was because Queena was glossing over this death, which came off as to her, only black lives matter and talk down to me because "I have had it easy as a white male" which pissed me off because she knows absolutely nothing about my life, which sounds like she is being a bigot herself.
    But. Does she really know? Really know what it feels like to be singled out from the moment she leaves the door?

You've even admitted that you've never experienced that. Wake up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

It's only a race thing....

Because it is
    Oh well, back to gum.
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    By no means am I trying to gloss over the history of the experiences of minorities in this country. The reason for my statement was because Queena was glossing over this death, which came off as to her, only black lives matter and talk down to me because "I have had it easy as a white male" which pissed me off because she knows absolutely nothing about my life, which sounds like she is being a bigot herself.
    I get it, but I can't say that if my family and friends who were disparaged were killed for eons and virtually ignored that I wouldn't hold some kind of resentment at the fact that some white chick from another country garnered outrage when THOUSANDS have been ignored forever.

Trying to see it from the other side. That's all. And that's not saying that people of all races aren't accepted in the fight, or that anyone subjected to police brutality don't matter, just that we should understand the difference.
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 08-02-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    Oh well, back to gum.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I get it, but I can't say that if my family and friends who were disparaged were killed for eons and virtually ignored that I wouldn't hold some kind of resentment at the fact that some white chick from another country garnered outrage when THOUSANDS have been ignored forever.

Trying to see it from the other side. That's all. And that's not saying that people of all races aren't accepted in the fight, or that anyone subjected to police brutality don't matter, just that we should understand the difference.
    If it makes you feel any better ( and I know it won't), I doubt this poor woman's death will change anything. Columbine, Va Tech, Sandy Hook, Orlando, all the wrongful deaths recorded on cop-cam and NOTHING has changed no matter how many of us write to our Congressman, march on Washington, speak before the Senate, and vote for those who say they'll bring this "Rifle Madness" under control.

I would give damn near anything for my country to have followed Australia's footsteps, but it's hard to keep writing and speaking and pushing when change just doesn't seem to be happening.
    [quote author=thanatos link=topic=5272.msg211093#msg211093 date=1172939327]<br />Thank you! Good Karma for you! I&#39;m sick of everyone using &quot;bi-polar&quot; as an excuse for violent behavior. Pet peeve here. :2angry:<br />[/quote][quote author=Olivia link=topic=5272.msg

Her family was supposed to have been flying to the US this weekend for her wedding. Instead they are having her memorial Her dad looks destroyed in this pic.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...r-arms-n792006

The father and the fiance of an Australian woman shot to death by a Minneapolis police officer responding to her 911 call grieved at a public memorial service Friday night, the same time the family had planned to be on a plane to her wedding.

Justine Damond's father, John Ruszczyk, choked back tears as he vowed to find justice for his 40-year-old daughter, whom he described as being "ripped from our arms."
    Image: John Ruszczyk
    John Ruszczyk, the father of Justine Damond, fights back his emotions shortly after arriving at a memorial for his daughter on August 11, 2017 at Lake Harriet in Minneapolis. Aaron Lavinsky / Star Tribune via AP

"We should be walking down the street smiling and laughing," he said of his first visit to Minneapolis. "But now every step on the foot path is very painful. I feel crushed by sorrow."

Hundreds of people, many wearing heart-shaped stickers, attended the memorial service. An Australian flag was displayed prominently on the stage next to Damond's picture.

Her fiance, Don Damond, said it "felt like a privilege to love Justine." They were getting married next week in Hawaii, and he pointed out the painful irony that the service — held at a lakefront stage near her home in southwest Minneapolis — coincided with the family's original travel plans.

He read some of the uplifting messages she would free-write every morning and called her a "living example of self-mastery."

"I have immense gratitude for being the one she chose," Don Damond said. "In Australia, they call it 'you're punching above your weight.' I really had to step up to be at her level."
    As Damond's loved ones mourned their loss, the investigation into her death moved forward. A judge approved a search warrant for investigators to examine the smartphones of two Minneapolis police officers in the shooting.

The search warrant application was filed Thursday by an agent with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. The agent requested permission to download data from the iPhones issued by the Minneapolis Police Department.

The application states that the information "may more clearly define" the officers' actions before and after she was killed on July 15. Investigators have said Officer Mohamed Noor shot the 40-year-old woman after she called 911 to report a possible sexual assault near her home.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    He left an apology note? Ok he's crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    that's what makes him crazy? I thought it was the chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    But. Does she really know? Really know what it feels like to be singled out from the moment she leaves the door?

You've even admitted that you've never experienced that. Wake up.
    I totally get what your saying... , i have lived in places where im singled out. Where im the minority as a white person (Australia ie parts of western sydney aint as "white" as some may think) and i can say ive seen racisim and discrimination in my personal life and at work coming from both sides. I haven't gotten promotions because of my color (i believe) , ive been targeted as a robbery victim because of my color etc etc..... and i could justify all of it with historical events etc but fact is two wrongs dont make a right, and i cant control actions of every other white man that ever walked the earth no one of any race should be held responsible for the shit we all know was wrong today. More hate wont bring peace or unity. I dont have a solution... but i wish someone would find it

Freeman answers questions about Damond shooting

Neighbors pressed the Hennepin County attorney about police, investigators' handling of the police shooting during a Minneapolis neighborhood forum Sunday

Minneapolis residents questioned Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman on Sunday afternoon about the police shooting of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, including why officer Mohamed Noor wasn?t sitting in jail as a civilian would be after a deadly shooting.

?I don?t understand where this double standard comes from,? said Todd Schuman, who lives a block from the Damond home. ?It?s infuriating to us.?

Freeman said he couldn?t answer the question because he hadn?t thought about it ?quite that way? before.

Damond, 40, a native of Australia who was engaged to be married, was killed July 15 when she called 911 to report a possible sexual assault in the alley behind her Fulton neighborhood home. Noor fired at her as she approached the squad car he was riding in.

Since then, her friends and neighbors have demanded information about the investigation, which is being conducted by the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.

Their tones ranging from angry to curious, about 50 southwest Minneapolis residents gathered in a park building to talk with Freeman and Linea Palmisano, the Minneapolis City Council member representing the 13th Ward. The event was one of a series of neighborhood forums regularly held by Palmisano.

Freeman told the group that he couldn?t say much about the Damond case specifically, especially regarding evidence collected.

But Damond?s shooting shouldn?t have happened, Freeman said.

?I?m saddened by the death of this fine young woman,? Freeman said. ?It didn?t have to happen. It shouldn?t have happened."

His job is to determine whether Noor has done something criminal, Freeman said, and whether there is enough admissible evidence to support a charge.

Residents also asked what the BCA was looking for at the Damond home when they searched it the morning after the killing; some people saw it as invasive and unnecessary.

Palmisano said she had received that question several times. Sometimes police are just eliminating possibilities of what could have happened, she said.

Freeman commented: ?I really can?t answer that. There will be an answer down the road.?

Several times, Freeman referred to other high-profile officer-involved shootings, like the Jamar Clark case in Minneapolis and Philando Castile in Falcon Heights, as examples of how things might proceed.

In a surprise, Freeman shared his thoughts on the outcome of the Castile case, which ended in officer Jeronimo Yanez?s acquittal three months ago.

?That jury was wrong,? Freeman said, adding that Yanez was a good cop who panicked.

Freeman also used the Jamar Clark case for context. It took six months to make a charging decision in the case of Clark, who was shot in north Minneapolis in November 2015. Freeman said that, in the end, he couldn?t charge the two police officers in Clark?s death. That decision spawned months of protests and continues to be a sore spot.

The decision of whether to charge Noor will likely be made by the end of the year, Freeman said.

Residents also asked questions about body cameras, which weren?t on during the Damond shooting, and how residents could become more involved and make changes in the system.

Several expressed general frustration with law enforcement. ?The police have lost our faith completely,? said Mindy Barry, Damond?s neighbor. ?In our mind, true justice in this case is police reform.?

One man thanked Freeman ?for being here and being vulnerable.?

The BCA is still investigating the Damond case, Freeman said.

?We will spare no time and no expense trying to learn everything that occurred,? he said. ?People have been pushing me ? I ain?t going to be pushed."
    http://www.startribune.com/freeman-a...ing/443607803/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...charge-n829811

Prosecutor says not enough evidence yet to charge officer who shot bride-to-be

County attorneys do not yet have enough evidence to file charges against a Minneapolis police officer who mistakenly shot and killed an Australian bride-to-be in July, according to the prosecutor handling the case.

Noor's partner, Officer Matthew Harrity, told investigators he was "startled by a loud sound" just before Damond approached the driver's side window of the police SUV. Harrity said Noor then fired his weapon from the passenger seat, hitting Damond.

"I've got to have the evidence, and I don't have it yet," Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman told activists on Wednesday after they asked why his office had not yet announced charges against Noor.

Video of that exchange was uploaded to the Facebook page for Twin Cities Coalition for Justice 4 Jamar, a local activist group founded after two Minneapolis officers shot and killed 24-year-old Jamar Clark in 2015.

"And let me just say, it's not my fault," Freeman said in the video. "If it isn't my fault, who didn't do their jobs? ... Investigators — and they don't work for me. And they haven't done their job."

It was not clear if Freeman knew he was being recorded. In a statement provided to NBC News, the county attorney's office said: "We are working diligently on the case to complete the investigation as soon as possible. Beyond that, we cannot comment at this time."

A spokeswoman for the office had previously said it was "still working to make a decision by the end of the year."

Freeman's comments were first reported by Minnesota Public Radio.

"I don't understand why this seems to be such, like, a hard thing," one of the activists in the video can be heard telling Freeman.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/minnesota-g...ry?id=52890033

Minnesota grand jury convening in police killing of Australian woman

A grand jury is meeting this week in the 2017 case of a Minneapolis police officer involved in the shooting death of Justine Damond.

Minneapolis' police union president Bob Kroll said at least 30 police officers have been subpoenaed as part of the grand jury investigation. Kroll said those individuals are primarily Noor's trainers and academy teachers.

Officer Noor has never spoken publicly about the case and has declined to speak to investigators.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said he will still make the final decision on whether to file charges.

http://www.startribune.com/tension-r...ion/475458363/

Tension rises between county attorney, police union in Noor grand jury investigation

The growing feud between the Minneapolis police union and Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman intensified this week as dozens of officers wrapped up their testimony before a grand jury investigating the police killing of Justine Ruszczyk Damond last summer.

Lt. Bob Kroll, president of the Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis, said that Freeman was subpoenaing dozens of officers who were only tangentially involved in the case and threatening to hold them in contempt of court if they failed to cooperate. The move was in “extremely poor taste” and “ill-conceived,” and could potentially affect officers’ relationship with the County Attorney’s Office, Kroll said.

“They need to figure out whose side they’re on — law enforcement should work collectively with city and county attorneys to prosecute criminals,” Kroll said.

His comments are the latest development in an escalating feud between Freeman’s office and the union that represents the city’s roughly 900 cops.

Freeman scoffed at the notion that his office was treating officers unfairly, while saying that he didn’t want to get drawn into a public fight with the union.

“I’m a little disappointed — probably more than a little — about some of the pettiness that we’re hearing from the Police Federation,” Freeman said.

He said that his office started issuing subpoenas only after officers, acting on the union’s advice, turned down repeated requests to come in and provide statements.

“We tried again and again, and what they said was, ‘No, we’re not coming in.’ The Police Federation or its lawyers said, ‘No we shouldn’t,’ ” Freeman said. “I’ve been a prosecutor at least 19 years — this is the first time that I’ve ever had to subpoena police officers to tell us what they know.”

The officer at the center of the storm, Mohamed Noor, has refused to speak with state investigators, and declined to testify before the grand jury. His attorney, Thomas Plunkett, said Wednesday that he couldn’t comment on grand jury proceedings.

Matthew Harrity, Noor’s partner the night Damond was killed and the only other living witness, was twice called before the grand jury, according to his attorney. The death of the 40-year-old Australian put Minneapolis in the international spotlight, while reigniting a long-standing debate about police conduct, and led to the ouster of former Police Chief Jane? Harteau.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    http://www.startribune.com/tension-r...ion/475458363/

Tension rises between county attorney, police union in Noor grand jury investigation
    No surprises here! ffs

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...murder-n831206

The Minneapolis police officer who mistakenly shot and killed an Australian woman in July was behind bars Tuesday and charged with third-degree murder.
    Officer Mohamed Noor was also charged with second-degree manslaughter in connection with the death of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, according to records from the Hennepin County Jail. It was not clear whether Noor turned himself in or was arrested on a warrant, but Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman was expected to reveal more details later Tuesday.

I was so happy to hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuga View Post
    I was so happy to hear this.
    Good to hear. Now lets see if it will stick.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/bail-set-40...ry?id=53904213

Former Minnesota officer released on $400K bail in Australian woman's shooting death

Former Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor was released from jail late Wednesday after posting bail on murder charges in connection to the shooting death of a 40-year-old Australian woman.

Bail had been set at $400,000 Wednesday after Hennepin County prosecutors raised concerns that the ex-officer could be a flight risk, noting that he might try to flee to his native Somalia.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ju...id=mailsignout

The family of Justine Damond, the 40-year-old Australian woman who was killed by a Minneapolis officer after she called 911 to report a possible assault, has sued the officer, his partner and the city.

In the lawsuit filed Monday in U.S. District Court, Damond's family alleges her civil rights were violated when she was shot July 15, 2017 by Officer Mohamed Noor, who they said was inexperienced and unfit for duty.

Damond’s family also accused the police department’s leadership at the time and Noor’s partner, Officer Matthew Harrity, of “conspiracy to cover up the true facts surrounding the killing of Justine,” the Star Tribune reported.

The others named in the lawsuit include Janee Harteau, police chief at the time of the shooting; Police Chief Medaria Arrandondo, assistant chief when Damond was shot; and the city of Minneapolis.

The family is seeking an undisclosed amount of money in damages.

Thread Information