Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Two mosque worshippers killed after van rams crowd in north London

Two mosque worshippers killed after van rams crowd in north London

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...q9B?li=BBnb7Kz

Update:

LONDON, June 19 (Reuters) - Two worshippers are feared dead after a van rammed people near a mosque in north London, the Sun newspaper said. (Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge; editing by William James)

Earlier:

LONDON, June 19 (Reuters) - Several people were injured in north London early on Monday after a van rammed into worshippers leaving a mosque, witnesses said, in what British police described as a "major incident."

The Muslim Council of Britain said the vehicle had hit people as they were leaving Finsbury Park mosque.

Police said they were called just after 12:20 a.m. (2320 GMT Sunday) to reports of a collision on Seven Sisters Road, which runs through the Finsbury Park area of the city. They said there were a number of casualties and one person had been arrested.

"From the window, I started hearing a lot of yelling and screeching, a lot of chaos outside. ? Everybody was shouting: 'A van?s hit people, a van?s hit people'," one woman who lives opposite the scene told the BBC.

"There was this white van stopped outside Finsbury Park mosque that seemed to have hit people who were coming out after prayers had finished. I didn?t see the attacker himself, although he seems to have been arrested, but I did see the van."

A Reuters witness saw at least one person being loaded into an ambulance. A number of police and ambulances were in attendance.

The incident followed a series of attacks in Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Lazarus is pretty exceptional and he's been here for awhile, smearing his poo around the threads for attention. Don't be like Lazarus.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/su...london-n773906

The Muslim Council of Britain, which represents more than 500 Muslim institutions and mosques, said on Twitter that it was told that the vehicle was a van and that it had driven into pedestrians outside a mosque.

The council later clarified that the incident occurred outside the Muslim Welfare House, a charity, community center and mosque.

A local resident, Semih Azizoğlu, told NBC News that he was nearby when the incident occurred.

“I heard a loud thump and screech,” he said. “Then screams followed and I see bodies on the floor.”

“I saw seven people laid flat,” Azizoğlu added.

Authorities had not yet said whether the incident was terrorism-related, but a string of attacks in recent months has left in England shaken.

Lazarus is pretty exceptional and he's been here for awhile, smearing his poo around the threads for attention. Don't be like Lazarus.

Its time to put a ban on white vans.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/18/europe...ash/index.html

Two witnesses at the scene independently told CNN they saw three men exit the van that ran into pedestrians.

The witnesses said one was arrested and two fled.

London's Metropolitan Police said earlier one man was arrested. When asked about the accounts by CNN, a police spokesman said he would not comment on speculation from the scene.

I knew there was no way this would be called terrorism. Oh, it's "sickening", but it's not terrorism. Cause just say it great leaders, terrorism is only when the perpetrator is brown or black.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/18/europe...ion/index.html

Theresa May condemns 'sickening' attack on Finsbury Park Muslims

A man died and 10 people were injured after a van was rammed into a crowd of worshippers near a mosque in north London, in the latest terror attack to hit the UK this year.
    Eyewitnesses reported chaotic scenes as the incident unfolded just after midnight, when evening Ramadan prayers had finished.
    A 48-year-old white man was wrestled to the ground by members of the public and then arrested at the scene on suspicion of attempted murder, authorities said.
    British Prime Minister Theresa May said the attack was directed at Muslims and condemned it as "every bit as sickening" as deadly Islamist attacks that hit the country in recent months.

Latest developments
    -- Police say they believe there was only one man in the van.
    -- An imam stopped the crowd from hitting and kicking the attacker.
    -- Witnesses saw a man underneath the van.
    -- Eight people were hospitalized, all Muslim.
    -- Van appears to be a hire vehicle from a company in Wales.

Police believed that the attacker acted alone, despite earlier reports from witnesses, who had said they saw two other people flee the scene.

Muslim Welfare House CEO Toufik Kacimi said the attacker shouted "I did my bit, you deserve it." An imam prevented people from taking revenge on the man, he said.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/19/europe...mam/index.html

Imam hailed as hero for protecting Finsbury Park van attacker

The imam of a Muslim center in London has been praised for his "bravery and courage" in stopping an angry crowd turning on the driver involved in a van attack.

One person died and eight people were wounded, two seriously, after the vehicle rammed into people leaving Ramadan prayers in Finsbury Park, north London, in the early hours of Monday morning.

Imam Mohammed Mahmoud, of the Muslim Welfare House, has been hailed a hero for stepping in to protect the suspected attacker, a 48-year-old man, telling the furious mob: "Do not touch him."
    Oh, but Islam is just an evil religion based on killing everyone at all times,....how can this be? I am so fucking done with this world.

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar
    I haven't read the news yet but was the driver some redneck racist that hasn't figured out that all Muslims are not terrorist? It's ridiculous that this wasn't called terrorism too.
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by emmy_dreamy View Post
    I haven't read the news yet but was the driver some redneck racist that hasn't figured out that all Muslims are not terrorist? It's ridiculous that this wasn't called terrorism too.
    He was a white guy who plowed into a group leaving a religious building, and shouted "I did my bit, you deserve it" after killing one of them and seriously wounding 8 others.

Disclosure that I have made before in threads like this: I am a white girl, raised in the south in a southern Baptist church. I lived in an Islamic country, due to a job, for a year when I was in my late teens. It wasn't a military type job, and I was in their normal society there, and worked and interacted with everyone. I can honestly say that the religious Right in the US are more scary, and oppressive than anything I ever saw there. I get so sick of racism being used to label an entire group of people as terrorists, especially when large groups of the population in the US have adopted the mindset that they use to claim Muslims are terrorists.

Looks like they've finally decided to admit it's terrorism and charge the suspect for terrorism offenses:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/19/europe...now/index.html

The 47-year-old driver of the van is now being held for terrorism offenses, the Met Police said in a statement. Earlier reports had given the man's age as 48. According to multiple UK media outlets, the man is Darren Osborne of Cardiff.

Earlier in the day, searches were carried out at a residential address in the Cardiff area in Wales, the Met Police statement said, and authorities confirmed that the van used in the attack had been rented from a car company in Wales.

"This is being treated as a terrorist attack and the Counter-Terrorism Command is investigating," said Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, senior national coordinator for counter-terrorism policing.
    Police are asking people who witnessed the attack to come forward.

UK Prime Minister Theresa May also called the incident a terror attack when she addressed reporters outside Downing Street Monday. Earlier, she chaired an emergency meeting of Cabinet members, police and security personnel, the Downing Street press office told CNN.

"This was an attack on Muslims near their place of worship and, like all terrorism in whatever form, it shares the same fundamental goal. It seeks to drive us apart and to break the precious bonds of solidarity and citizenship which we share in this country," she said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...6lZ?li=BBnb7Kz

Trump’s silence on London attack against Muslims follows pattern, critics say

President Trump on Monday continued an apparent pattern of selectively commenting on hate crimes and terrorist attacks, leading White House critics to accuse him of failing to personally condemn violence carried out by non-Muslims.

Nearly 14 hours after a driver plowed through Muslim worshippers outside of a London mosque, killing at least one, Trump’s usually noisy personal Twitter account was uncharacteristically silent. White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said in an off-camera press briefing that the administration’s “thoughts and prayers” were with those affected, but Trump personally had not weighed in on any format.

Trump, as president, has repeatedly promised to heal cross-racial divisions, but his slow reaction to violence against minorities or hate-related violence not perpetrated by Muslims is drawing scorn.

“If it was about terrorism, you would recognize these incidents regardless of who does it,” said Carol Anderson, a scholar of race and social justice at Emory University, in a Monday interview. “But this is situational. This situational concern underlies everything in this administration.”

“So when acts of terror are committed by Muslims, @POTUS can’t wait to Tweet. When they are committed AGAINST Muslims, nothing,” David Axelrod, a former advisor to President Obama, said in a tweet on Monday.

Since the president uses Twitter to frequently comment on the day’s headlines, there is a greater expectation that he — unlike past presidents — will be an active part of the commentary in every news cycle.

Since he announced his presidential candidacy in 2015, Trump has used his social media accounts to denounce Muslim-perpetrated terrorist attacks in Britain, Turkey, Germany, and even Sweden. But as president, stateside violence that targets minority communities sometimes goes unnoticed.

It took the White House nearly a week to acknowledge the hate-driven shooting at a Kansas bar, where a man targeted two-Indian born engineers and a bystander. Trump faced criticism in April for his personal silence after a school shooting at North Park Elementary School in San Bernardino, which left a black woman dead. In March, Spicer refused to specifically condemn the slaying of a New York City man who was allegedly killed by a man who told police he is a white supremacist.

“I don’t know all the details and I don’t want to reference any specific case,” Spicer said when asked about the subject.

In the most high-profile example, Trump waited nearly three days to acknowledge the murder of two men, allegedly at the hand of a white supremacist, in Portland, Ore., which led to a rash of frustrated newspaper editorials.

Veteran CBS journalist Dan Rather penned an open letter to Trump, asking him to personally denounce the violence.

“Perhaps Portland, Oregon, is off your radar. It is, after all, a rather liberal place. It’s even a ‘sanctuary city.’ But it is still an American city. And you are its president,” Rather wrote. “Two Americans have died leaving family and friends behind. They are mourned by millions more who are also deeply worried about what might come next. I hope you can find it worthy of your time to take notice.”

A day later, Trump called the Portland shooting “unacceptable” from his @POTUS account.

“The victims were standing up to hate and intolerance. Our prayers are w/ them,” Trump said.

Between the time of the incident and that statement, Trump had tweeted 21 times on his favored personal @realDonaldTrump account, on an assortment of issues such as anonymous sources in news media and a special election in Montana.

“Whenever you see the words ‘sources say’ in the fake news media, and they don’t mention names . . .” read one tweet, posted May 28.

There have been times when Trump has acknowledged violence perpetrated against minority communities. As a candidate, Trump responded quickly when South Carolina, an important primary state in the presidential election, experienced the shocking killing of nine black churchgoers by a white supremacist.

“The tragedy in South Carolina is incomprehensible.” he tweeted. “My deepest condolences to all.”

Critics have remarked on the speed and ferocity by which Trump comments on crimes committed by Muslims. Earlier this month, he quickly chimed in on the twin terror attacks in Borough Market and on London Bridge — which he used to justify his proposed travel ban of Muslim-majority countries.

“We must stop being politically correct and get down to the business of security for our people. If we don’t get smart it will only get worse,” Trump said.

Anderson, the professor, said the contrast speaks for itself.

“Think of how quickly [Trump] went after the mayor of London,” she said. “But then absolute silence when a white man gets into a van, goes to a mosque — a house of worship — and drives his van into people who were worshipping.”

One person who has used their Twitter account to condemn anti-Muslim violence is Trump’s daughter Ivanka who is special advisor to the president. On Sunday evening in the hours after the most recent London attack, she tweeted, “We must stand united against hatred and extremism in all it’s ugly forms.”

One person responded, “Tell your father. His selective silence is deafening.”

I love how minimal the coverage has been on this story. LOVE. (I don't)

It's fucked. Because they can't use ISIS to market the story, it's a dead story. Fuck off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

Quote Originally Posted by daisylane View Post
    I love how minimal the coverage has been on this story. LOVE. (I don't)

It's fucked. Because they can't use ISIS to market the story, it's a dead story. Fuck off.
    Yep. It is super rare for stories involving non-Caucasian victims to not get the same amount of coverage that some white female teenager wold get if she were a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    Yep. It is super rare for stories involving non-Caucasian victims to not get the same amount of coverage that some white female teenager wold get if she were a victim.
    IT IS SO SHIT.

'Oh waaaaa why did they bomb an ariana concert?' 'MAYBE BECAUSE YOU ASSHOLES ARE BOMBING THEIR CHILDREN, DAILY?'

Fuck.

IT IS SO SHIT.

'Oh waaaaa why did they bomb an ariana concert?' 'MAYBE BECAUSE YOU ASSHOLES ARE BOMBING THEIR CHILDREN, DAILY?'

Fuck.
    I'd bomb an ariana concert, but only put the bomb in her dressing room.

And we don't always use bombs, sometimes we use guided missiles from unmanned drones, thank you very much! Get the horrific things our own countries do correct!

You're right. This thread is getting so little play, no one has even gotten mad at me yet.

Assholes.

You're right. This thread is getting so little play, no one has even gotten mad at me yet.

Assholes.
    I am furious at you. Better?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    I am furious at you. Better?
    Hmph.

If I had breasts I'd start 'nude news' and try and educate the masses that way. That's the only option I can think of.

Hmph.

If I had breasts I'd start 'nude news' and try and educate the masses that way. That's the only option I can think of.
    Wait, what? lol You appear to be a female from the look of your Facebook. It's pretty damn convincing lol

I'm only 30 minutes from where this happened in London. It is fucking sickening.

It is definitely a hate crime. Is it terrorism? I don't know the definition of terrorism. We don't have the death penalty here but this man deserves it.

Sorry to double post. I don't know about coverage internationally but in the UK at least this story is everywhere. As well as the grenfell tower fire that has kiled dozens.

Quote Originally Posted by highhopes View Post
    I'm only 30 minutes from where this happened in London. It is fucking sickening.

It is definitely a hate crime. Is it terrorism? I don't know the definition of terrorism. We don't have the death penalty here but this man deserves it.
    Terrorism : the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Quote Originally Posted by highhopes View Post
    Sorry to double post. I don't know about coverage internationally but in the UK at least this story is everywhere. As well as the grenfell tower fire that has kiled dozens.
    I'm in Aus, and it's being covered - I also watch US news etc and this? Minimal to no coverage. Last time? EVERYWHERE because ISIS YO.

Fuckwits.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/0...112356082.html

London mosque attack driver on trial for 'terrorism'

The British van driver suspected of ramming Muslim worshippers near a London mosque appeared in court on Friday charged with "terrorism-related murder and attempted murder".

Darren Osborne, 47, appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court in central London, speaking to confirm his name, age and that he had no fixed address.

The Crown Prosecution Service said it would argue that Osborne, "motivated by extreme political views and a personal hatred of Muslims, acted to kill, maim, injure and terrify as many people as possible" during this week's attack.

He will appear at London's Old Bailey criminal court for a preliminary hearing on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/0...112356082.html

London mosque attack driver on trial for 'terrorism'
    Good - if this was in the US, he wouldn't be though and we all know it.

I get a little sick of this crap Daisy. Of course he'd be on trial... a long drawn out trial perhaps, but still. We even try astronauts for vehicle related crimes. Now, if he'd used a gun...
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

How's that? I don't think anyone would risk their job to protect one racist white dude from prison.

Thread Information