Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: London fire: SEVENTY-NINE+ killed as Grenfell Tower engulfed

There are too many updates so I'll just add recent testimony from the inquiry's

https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/02/power...w-die-7790815/

Powerful testimony from Grenfell firefighter who lied to mother he knew would die

A woman whose two-year-old son was killed in the Grenfell Tower fire begged to join him before perishing in the flames while on the phone to a firefighter. Zainab Deen and toddler Jeremiah both died after becoming trapped on the 14th floor of the burning high-rise. Their harrowing final moments were relayed by firefighter Christopher Batcheldor, who heard ?ear-splitting? screams for 60 seconds straight ? which confirmed to him ?that was it?.

Zainab Deen and toddler Jeremiah both died after becoming trapped on the 14th floor of the burning high-rise. (Picture: PA)

Mr Batcheldor, a crew manager at Fulham, reassured the frantic mother, who identified herself as Zenay, that they would be rescued after being handed a phone by her brother, Francis. He recalled hearing the little boy crying from the beginning of the call and said he was ?gagging? to hear the door kicked in by fire crews.

After about half an hour, the toddler stopped coughing and crying. In a written statement to the inquiry, he said: ?Zenay was crying ?My boy?s dead?. ?She said ?I want to be with my son?. ?I said ?Don?t talk like that. We are coming for you. Don?t give up?. ?I then passed the phone back to Francis and said ?Tell her you love her and that you are waiting for her. Tell her to keep fighting?.?

He recalled hearing the little boy crying from the beginning of the call and said he was ?gagging? to hear the door kicked in by fire crews. (Picture: PA)

Mid-way through the call, which lasted more than an hour, Mr Batcheldor said he learned that crews were unable to get above floor 12. He said: ?I knew I couldn?t tell her this. I just couldn?t tell her that so I basically lied to her and continued to tell her that we were coming for her.

?It got to a point where she wasn?t talking much. I could hear a bit of coughing and spluttering. I could hear that she was still there but she wasn?t responding. ?I kept on chatting to her. For Francis, I had to keep up the pretence that she was OK. ?When she stopped responding I could hear a little whimpering but I kept talking to her in case she could hear my voice.? After five to 10 minutes of silence, he heard ?ear-splitting? screams for about 60 seconds as the fire ?got to her?. After five to 10 minutes of silence, he heard ?ear-splitting? screams for about 60 seconds as the fire ?got to her?. (Picture: PA)

He knew then that Ms Deen had died, but could not bring himself to break the devastating news to her brother. He said: ?I told him that we had got disconnected and perhaps her battery had gone.

?He asked me if she was out. I told him we (the fire brigade) were right there, trying to get to her. ?Francis hugged me and thanked me. He said that Zenay would be really grateful. I knew that I had just lied to him.? Afterwards, Mr Batcheldor told the unit collating information from emergency calls from trapped residents that the pair were dead.

Some 72 people died as a result of the fire on June 14 last year. The inquiry, at Holborn Bars, central London, is hearing a last day of firefighter evidence before it pauses for a month.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46106224

Five men have been arrested on suspicion of a public order offence in connection with a model of Grenfell Tower being burned on a bonfire.

A video shared on social media shows a cardboard model of the tower being set alight by a laughing crowd.

The Metropolitan Police said the men - two aged 49 and the others aged 19, 46 and 55 - handed themselves in at a south London station on Monday night.

Prime Minister Theresa May had called the video "utterly unacceptable".

A total of 72 people were killed in the devastating blaze at the west London tower block in June 2017.

The Justice4Grenfell campaign group said the video "has caused great alarm and distress".

Natasha Elcock, from Grenfell United, said: "Not only is it extremely upsetting to survivors and people who lost family, it's hateful and offensive to everyone that has been affected by the tragic events of that night."

I saw the references to this vid but hadnt actually watched it until now. This is fucked up. They even made most of the figures in the windows as black or brown silhouettes. The one figure that looked like a white guy had way more effort put into it with personalised clothes & features. They made the other victims anonymous & homogeneous, just the way they see them in real life

Such fucking assholes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Why?

Because I don't like anal penetration sex between men, I don't.

Just because I don't like anal sex, doesn't make me any less gay or unable to be loved.

I can't be the only one out here, I'm just not. Don't worry about it. Mind your fucking business.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Ooooohhh. I'm going to watch this one later. Thanks, Puzz!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Thread Information