Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Yingying Zhang (26) missing from Urbana, IL since 6/9/17

Missing Chinese Scholar’s Family Accused of Using Donations to Move to the U.S.

https://nextshark.com/missing-chines...ve-to-the-u-s/

Quote Originally Posted by jlawrence View Post
    Missing Chinese Scholar’s Family Accused of Using Donations to Move to the U.S.

https://nextshark.com/missing-chines...ve-to-the-u-s/
    Haven't read it yet but I'm getting a so what feeling about the title. Like, if my kid was missing, I'd probably try to move to where I would be close enough to stay on top of it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Haven't read it yet but I'm getting a so what feeling about the title. Like, if my kid was missing, I'd probably try to move to where I would be close enough to stay on top of it too.
    I kind of thought the same thing, wanted to see how far off base I was first though.

When I first ran across that article in a google search, it was on a RWNJ news source, so it makes me wonder if someone is trying to make something out of nothing (not sure, because I didn't want to click on their website, so not sure what all they said).

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Lazarus is pretty exceptional and he's been here for awhile, smearing his poo around the threads for attention. Don't be like Lazarus.

I don't see a problem with it, if it's true....as long as they are being honest about what the money is going to.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Like, moving to where the investigation is actually is using the funds to support the search for her. No story here.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by therearesomewhocallmekim View Post
    I'm from the area. Even used to work at UIUC. The university and two cities like to spout they're a safe campus and area, but I distinctly remember getting a bunch of alerts about crimes happening while I was there. It's a dangerous place even if it doesn't look it.

They're saying he was scoping out his next victim at the vigil.
    I agree, Champaign-Urbana, for it's size, has pretty high crime rates. You basically have the same chance in Champaign as being a violent crime victim as you do in Chicago(.77 out of 100 for Champaign to .88 out of 100 for Chicago).

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/loc...draw-case.html

Attorneys for accused kidnapper ask to withdraw from case

Saying their client can't afford to pay them for a possible death-penalty defense, Urbana attorneys for accused kidnapper Brendt Christensen have asked a federal judge to let them withdraw from his case.

On Friday, Tom Bruno and his sons, Anthony and Evan Bruno, attorneys for Christensen, filed a motion in U.S. District Court asking to withdraw as his attorneys.
    A hearing on the Brunos' request is set for 10:30 a.m. Friday before Judge Colin Bruce.

Evan Bruno said the motion speaks for itself and declined to answer additional questions:

"On Aug. 28, The Government suggested in open court that it would seek a superseding Grand Jury indictment on additional charges within the next 30 to 45 days. Attorneys reasonably anticipate that such additional charges may implicate the prospect of capital punishment.

"Despite best efforts over the past two months, Defendant and his family have been unable to secure sufficient additional funds to pay Attorneys for respresentation on additional charges."

The motion said that Christensen and the Brunos agree that Christensen should proceed with a court-appointed attorney.

Given the amount of discovery the lawyers have been provided by the U.S. Attorney's office in advance of a February trial, the Brunos ask that a new lawyer be appointed as soon as possible so as not to cause their client further delay.

"Attorneys, if granted leave to withdraw, will remain willing to provide advice and consultation, to new counsel, as appropriate, pro bono," the motion said.

Lazarus is pretty exceptional and he's been here for awhile, smearing his poo around the threads for attention. Don't be like Lazarus.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/loc...-comments.html

Missing UI scholar's family clarifies use of donated funds in response to comments

Some of the money donated to a crowdfunding website to help find missing Chinese scholar Yingying Zhang has been used for her family's living and travel expenses, according to a public letter from the Zhang family.

The family released the letter in response to a string of comments on a GoFundMe site expressing doubts about how donations are being used.

The GoFundMe site established about a week after Ms. Zhang's disappearance from the University of Illinois campus. The Zhang family has set a $500,000 fundraising goal.

The family's letter, translated from Chinese, emphasizes that the main use of the fund for now is to help find Ms. Zhang.

"The principal purpose of the fundraising project is to help the family cover any costs associated with the search for Yingying Zhang, which includes a tip reward, traveling expenses, printing expenses and expenses for hiring experts and private detectives that is on the table, etc.," the letter states.

Other purposes for the donations expressed in the Zhang family letter include helping cover attorney fees, helping with living expenses of the family in the U.S. and the future support of Ms. Zhang's parents.

Ms. Zhang is the only one in her family to ever go to college, the letter states.

"The family's future is completely changed after this disaster. Her parents cannot work during their stay in the U.S.," the letter goes on to state. "They cannot go back to work and (live a) normal life, even after (finding) Yingying, especially her father (a truck driver). ... Besides, Yingying always strives to provide her family a better life from poverty."

University of Illinois Credit Union Senior Vice President Greg Anderson, one of the trustees for the account set up for the GoFundMe donations, said he hadn't seen the letter from the Zhang family. He also doesn't have any doubts that the donated money is being used appropriately, he said.

The purpose of the fund from the start has been generally to help support the family with expenses as the search continues, Anderson said.

"We definitely want to reassure anyone who is thinking of contributing, and understand there may be some clarification needed because we're dealing with an international kind of thing," he said.

There have been $70,006 in expenses designated from the GoFundMe donations to date, with the bulk of the money — $50,000 — set aside to pay rewards for tips to Champaign County Crime Stoppers, according to the Zhang family letter.

The rest of the $70,006 has been designated for such expenses as travel and transportation, attorney fees and six months' rent on a home in the U.S., it states.

The letter also states that $12,605 of the donations has gone to the 8.5 percent tax collected by GoFundMe. Other than the money for Crime Stoppers, the letter says, $10,515 has been spent for other purposes to date, with listed expenses either advanced by the Zhang family or still unpaid.

None of the donations will be kept for other purposes until Ms. Zhang has been found, "including financially supporting the future lives of Yingying's parents," the letter says.

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...ighlight=zhang

Judge Lets Lawyers in U of I Abduction Case Withdraw

A judge has allowed lawyers for a 27-year-old suspect in the abduction of a University of Illinois scholar from China to withdraw from the case on grounds he can't foot the legal bills.

U.S. District Judge Colin Bruce said at a Friday hearing in Urbana that a defense attorney paid for by federal funds would now be brought in to represent Brendt Christensen.

A trial date is set for Feb. 27.

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brendt-...disappearance/

Charges upgraded for suspect in disappearance of Chinese student

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. -- A federal grand jury on Tuesday returned a superseding indictment against a man accused in the abduction of a University of Illinois scholar from China.

The new indictment accuses Brendt Christensen, 28, of kidnapping resulting in the death of Yingying Zhang. If convicted of the charge, Christensen faces the death penalty or mandatory life in prison.

Christensen was initially charged with the 26-year-old Zhang of Nanping, China. The new indictment alleges Christensen intentionally killed Zhang in "an especially heinous, cruel, or depraved manner." It contends her death involved torture or serious physical abuse and that he did so "after substantial planning and premeditation."

The new indictment also alleges Christensen used a cellphone and a vehicle, both instruments of interstate commerce, to commit the offense.

Zhang disappeared June 9, weeks after arriving at the central Illinois campus. Even though her body hasn't been found, authorities believe Zhang is dead.

The indictment also charged Christensen with two new counts of making false statements to FBI agents. It states Christensen lied when he told the FBI he stayed at his apartment and slept and played video games all day on June 9, "when he knew full well that he drove around the University of Illinois campus on the afternoon of June 9, and picked up Y,Z. as she was waiting for a bus."

It alleges Christensen lied when he said he dropped of an Asian female in a residential area shortly after picking her up.

Christensen has been held in the Macon County jail since his arrest by U.S. Marshals. He is tentatively set to go to trial Feb. 27.

Christensen's lawyer, Robert Tucker, said he had not seen the superseding indictment and had no comment.

Attorney Steve Beckett, who represents Zhang's family, said he had not spoken to them Tuesday but said the superseding indictment "is not unexpected."

Beckett said Zhang's family remains in the Urbana area and intends to stay until she is found.

? 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

I don't know why they'd be seeking the death penalty because I'm pretty sure that's not even an option here in Illinois anymore.
    DUE TO MATURE SUBJECT MATTER - VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puke View Post
    I don't know why they'd be seeking the death penalty because I'm pretty sure that's not even an option here in Illinois anymore.
    http://www.npr.org/2011/03/09/134394...-death-penalty

You're right. Why the hell would they do that?
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

They're also charging him without even having a body the last I heard. So they must have some good evidence that he took her across state lines.
    DUE TO MATURE SUBJECT MATTER - VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED

Quote Originally Posted by emmy_dreamy View Post
    http://www.npr.org/2011/03/09/134394...-death-penalty

You're right. Why the hell would they do that?
    They're also charging him without even having a body the last I heard. So they must have some good evidence that he took her across state lines.

It's because it's a federal case. Federal kidnapping charges are punishable by the death penalty under certain circumstances. And he didn't necessarily have to transport her across state lines for that to apply, but it's possible he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    It's because it's a federal case. Federal kidnapping charges are punishable by the death penalty under certain circumstances. And he didn't necessarily have to transport her across state lines for that to apply, but it's possible he did.
    yep.. Dru Sjodin was kidnapped in North Dakota and taken to Minnesota
    The trial was held in federal court because Sjodin was taken across state lines.[14][15] This meant that Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. was eligible to receive the death penalty if convicted, a possibility not allowed under North Dakota or Minnesota law, neither of which has the death penalty. It was the first death penalty case in a century to take place in North Dakota.[16] US Attorney Drew Wrigley and Assistant US Attorneys Keith Reisenauer and Norman Anderson prosecuted the case against Rodriguez. On August 30, 2006, Rodriguez was convicted in federal court of the murder of Dru Sjodin, and on September 22, 2006, he was sentenced to death.[17] On February 8, 2007, Rodriguez was formally sentenced to death and prison in United States Penitentiary, Terre Haute, Terre Haute, Indiana.[18][19] U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson arranged that Rodriguez would be executed in South Dakota.[20]

Rodriguez maintains that he is innocent. In October 2011, defense attorneys filed a federal habeas corpus motion claiming that Rodriguez is mentally disabled.[21]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Dru_Sjodin
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    yep.. Dru Sjodin was kidnapped in North Dakota and taken to Minnesota

There was also a tricky little thing added to Federal kidnapping laws a decade or so ago that allows them to federally prosecute kidnappings that previously would have fallen under state law. It was an act named after Adam Walsh. If the kidnapper "makes use of channels and instrumentalities of interstate commerce" ... basically if they use a car, a telephone, the internet or even a sidewalk (I'm not kidding) ... the Feds can bring kidnapping charges if they choose to, even if they never cross state lines.
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Here's a pdf about the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act, which, despite its title, does not only apply to children. Basically, it makes it possible for the Feds to prosecute any kidnapping ever: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...XT8pZddIO-Dhrn

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...108-story.html

Defense seeks trial delay to check on reported sightings of missing Chinese scholar

Lawyers for a former University of Illinois graduate student accused of kidnapping, torturing and killing a Chinese visiting scholar are seeking a delay in the trial, saying they need to investigate purported sightings of the alleged victim, whose body has not been found.

The filing on behalf of Brendt Christensen provides a glimpse at what could be a key issue at the trial for the defense — trying to raise doubts that 26-year-old Yingying Zhang was in fact slain.

In seeking to delay the trial until next October, Christensen’s attorneys said they were aware of “several purported sights of the alleged victim around the country” since her June disappearance. They also said some of the victim’s accounts had been “logged into” after she was reported missing.

In a 22-page filing Tuesday in U.S. District Court in downstate Urbana, the attorneys wrote that they also intend to run down reports that “unknown suspicious individuals” had been lurking around Zhang’s apartment on the day of or the day before she vanished.

Last month prosecutors upgraded charges against Christensen, 28, of Champaign, adding one count of kidnapping resulting in death, a charge that brings the potential of the death penalty on conviction.

The indictment included the special finding that Christensen committed the offense "in an especially heinous, cruel or depraved manner, in that it involved torture or serious physical abuse to the victim" and that the crime occurred after "substantial planning and premeditation."

Christensen also faces two counts of lying to FBI agents who questioned him about Zhang’s disappearance.

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions has not yet decided whether the death penalty will be sought in the case.

Christensen, who is being held without bond, is scheduled to go to trial Feb. 27 before U.S. District Judge Colin Bruce in Urbana.

Thread Information