Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yingying Zhang (26) missing from Urbana, IL since 6/9/17

Yingying Zhang (26) missing from Urbana, IL since 6/9/17

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/loc...lar-china.html

Police say a Chinese scholar visiting the University of Illinois' Urbana-Champaign campus has been missing for three days.

Authorities say friend notified police that they hadn't heard from 26-year-old Yingying Zhang since about 1:30 p.m. on Friday. Zhang is visiting the school's Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences. Police say she's been in central Illinois about a month and was staying in university housing.

On Monday, University of Illinois police released surveillance video showing Zhang entering a black Saturn Astra vehicle in Urbana on Friday about 2 p.m. shortly after getting off a bus. University police spokesman Patrick Wade says authorities are asking for the public's help identifying the vehicle.

Police say Zhang was headed to an apartment complex to sign a lease.
    http://www.wandtv.com/story/35637812...issing-student

The University of Illinois at Champaign Urbana is searching for a member of the campus community. According the campus police Facebook page, they are currently searching for Yingying Zhang who is a 26-year-old visiting scholar from Urbana.

Her friends and family have not heard from her since Friday afternoon, and attempts to contact her by phone and at her residence have been unsuccessful. Police say they do not know if Ms. Zhang is in danger or not, but they say the are doing everything they can to make sure she returns home safely.

Sunday night, University of Illinois Police released new information and surveillance video of Zhang. Police say she boarded an MTD Teal line bus at the south shelter at Orchard Downs at 1:30 p.m. on Friday, June 9th. She got off the bus at Springfield and Matthews Avenues in Urbana at 1:52 p.m. Friday.

Surveillance video shows at the time, she was wearing a charcoal gray hat with a white logo on the front. She has shoulder length brown hair, glasses, and a white/pink flannel print long sleeve shirt, white under shirt, jeans, white shoes, and a navy backpack.

On Monday, police released another surveillance video showing Zhang in parking garage B-4 on North Goodwin Avenue. A black Saturn Astra pulls up beside her and she enters the car shortly after speaking with the driver. The car continues north on Goodwin Avenue. The last clip of the video is a close up of the car just before it pickup Zhang.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Lazarus is pretty exceptional and he's been here for awhile, smearing his poo around the threads for attention. Don't be like Lazarus.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/loc...i-scholar.html

FBI joins search for missing UI scholar

The FBI has joined the investigation into the disappearance of a University of Illinois visiting scholar from China who hasn't been seen since Friday afternoon.

The agency is putting up billboard messages across the state and beyond about Yingying Zhang, 26, who arrived on campus in April and was reported missing Saturday.

The FBI has labeled the case a kidnapping but investigators haven't ruled anything out, UI Police Department spokesman Patrick Wade said Wednesday.

"We have her on video getting into a car and that's the last we see of her. That's obviously very concerning," he said.

Investigators are also looking into reports of a black vehicle whose driver invited other young women into the car, police said.

They've talked to one person who reported a similar encounter in another west Urbana neighborhood in early June, Wade said. It's unclear whether that incident is connected to Zhang's disappearance, but "it's one scenario we've explored and we're not ruling anything out," he said.

Zhang was on her way to sign a lease at the One North apartment complex on North Lincoln Avenue in Urbana on Friday shortly before she disappeared. She texted the property manager at 1:30 p.m. that she was going to be late.

Police said she boarded a Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District bus at 1:35 p.m. at Orchard Downs, but got off the bus at 1:52 p.m. at Springfield and Mathews avenues in Urbana, more than a mile short of her destination.

UI police released security-camera footage from a parking garage at Goodwin and University avenues that showed Zhang standing along Goodwin for several minutes before getting into a black Saturn Astra four-door hatchback. The car pulled up to the curb about 2 p.m., and Zhang spoke with the driver for a couple minutes before getting in. The car then drove north on Goodwin.

Police released the video Monday in hopes that the public could provide more information about the car or the driver.

As of Wednesday evening, they hadn't identified either. The license-plate number wasn't legible in the video, Wade said.

Detectives were also examining Zhang's cellphone records and working with ride-hailing companies such as Uber to see if she may have called for a ride.

"We've gotten a lot of tips over the last couple of days," and investigators from both the FBI and Illinois State Police are helping sort through the information, Wade said. At least four FBI agents are in town working on the case, as well as others offsite.

Police are still reviewing security camera footage "to see if the car pops up anywhere else on campus," he said. They've also asked businesses in the area to share whatever video footage they may have.

Lazarus is pretty exceptional and he's been here for awhile, smearing his poo around the threads for attention. Don't be like Lazarus.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...618-story.html

FBI offering reward for information on missing U. of I. scholar

The FBI is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information that helps authorities locate Yingying Zhang, a visiting scholar at the University of Illinois who went missing from the Urbana-Champaign campus more than a week ago.
    Additionally, the U. of I. Community Credit Union has launched a GoFundMe campaign and an account to raise money to cover living expenses for Zhang's family, who have arrived in Urbana-Champaign and are staying on campus while authorities continue their search. Investigators met with Zhang's family over the weekend.

More than 1,100 people have contributed more than $40,000 to the fundraising effort since Saturday, according to the campaign web page.

"The University of Illinois Police Department again thanks the community for its continued support of Ms. Zhang, her family and friends, and those who have volunteered to find Ms. Zhang," police said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b07499199df775

Police Suspect Missing College Student Was Abducted-A suspicious man tried to lure other women into a car, police said.

Authorities believe a young woman who disappeared near the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign campus was kidnapped.

Yingying Zhang, 26, was last seen by the campus in Urbana on June 9. Surveillance video obtained by police shows Zhang getting into a black Saturn Astra hatchback around 2 p.m.

“Detectives have used vehicle records to identify a number of registered owners of the type of vehicle in the video and they continue to speak to those owners,” the University of Illinois Police Department wrote on its website.

Police said she has not contacted her parents, any of her friends or her boyfriend.

Concern for Zhang’s safety was heightened when “other young women” recently reported the driver of a black vehicle had tried to lure them into it, police said.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.

DISCLAIMER: The following quotes are not in reference to your loved one. They are quotes found to be funny in regard to much older cases.

Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post

Okay this is the part where I admit he's kind of pretty, or at least he would be if he hadn't killed his sister and smeared poo on her candy.

Is she scowling in every pic, or is that her unfortunate face?!?

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Here is a video showing her getting into the vehicle.

DISCLAIMER: The following quotes are not in reference to your loved one. They are quotes found to be funny in regard to much older cases.

Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post

Okay this is the part where I admit he's kind of pretty, or at least he would be if he hadn't killed his sister and smeared poo on her candy.

Is she scowling in every pic, or is that her unfortunate face?!?

Ugh. Perhaps too trusting? This hurts my stomach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/loc...i-scholar.html

Separate $40,000 reward announced in case of missing UI scholar

There are now two different rewards for information leading to an arrest in the disappearance of a University of Illinois scholar visiting from China.

With Yingying Zhang’s family members on hand, the UI and Champaign County Crime Stoppers announced a reward of up to $40,000 for information in Zhang’s June 9 disappearance.

Crime Stoppers President John Hecker said the reward is the largest in the organization’s 31-year history.

“We have never offered a reward of this magnitude,” he said. “But this is obviously a very heinous case.”

Hecker said every penny of the $40,000 reward was raised through a GoFundMe account.

“We are serving as a conduit,” Hecker said.

UI Associate Chancellor for Public Affairs Robin Kaler said the U of I Community Credit Union worked quickly to help set up the account that accumulated enough money to create the reward.

Donations are still being accepted at gofundme.com/missing-u-of-i-scholar or the credit union’s branches at 2201 S. First St., C; 206 E. University Ave., U; and in the Illini Union, 1401 W. Green St., U.

What sort of information are authorities looking for?

“Things that would help us would be identifying someone who was involved or somebody who was driving that vehicle, the location of the vehicle or anything that might lead us to find her whereabouts,” Hecker said.

Tipsters are asked to contact Crime Stoppers by phone at 217-373-8477, online at 373tips.com or through a free smartphone app called “P3 Tips.”

Tipsters are always completely anonymous when contacting Crime Stoppers. All tips are electronically stripped of any identifying information and processed by a third-party answering service, not law enforcement.

“There is no way we can trace the individual or know his or her identity,” Hecker said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...627-story.html

FBI locates car related to missing Chinese scholar case

The FBI says it has located the car that a missing Chinese scholar studying at the University of Illinois was last seen getting into earlier this month.

The FBI said in a Tuesday statement that it's received "numerous leads" regarding the black Saturn Astra and won't need any further information on the vehicle. Authorities also said they've developed "several additional leads" in the investigation.

FBI spokesman Brad Ware declined to give further details.

Ugh. I am so mad and sad over this.

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local...4b316e52c.html

FBI: Missing scholar likely dead; man charged with kidnapping

Kidnapping charges were filed Friday against a Chamapign man in connection with the disappearance of a visiting Chinese scholar last seen three weeks ago and who is believed by authorities to be dead.

Federal authorities say 27-year-old Brendt Christensen is accused of kidnapping Zhang shortly after she stepped off a bus near the university campus. Video show her getting into the front seat of a black Saturn Astra.

The affidavit filed in federal court in support of the complaint says Christensen was under surveillance Thursday when agents overheard him explaining that he kidnapped Zhang. Authorities say based on this, and other facts uncovered during the investigation, agents believe Zhang is no longer alive.

Authorities have not indicated if a body has been found.

https://facebook.com/brendt.christensen - I think this is him. Thoughts?

The video gave me such a bad feeling. I hope he fesses up to what he did.

So sad for her and her family.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/06/brendt...hotos-suspect/

Brendt Christensen, a 27-year-old PhD student researcher from Champaign, is accused of kidnapping Yingying Zhang, a missing University of Illinois visiting scholar.

Authorities said in an affidavit that they believe Zhang is dead. The affidavit in support of the charges provides chilling details; it says that authorities examined Christensen’s phone and alleges that he had accessed a website entitled “Abduction 101” and sub-threads that were called things like “perfect abduction fantasy” and “planning a kidnapping.”
    Worthless fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by wondery View Post
    https://facebook.com/brendt.christensen - I think this is him. Thoughts?

The video gave me such a bad feeling. I hope he fesses up to what he did.

So sad for her and her family.

Yep, that's him. Fucker!

What a creep... he has a phd and he sounds super smart, but damn... freaky effin guy.

Such a sad situation, especially the fact that she had JUST started at the university in April. Her father came all the way from China to help find her... how devastating.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/06/brendt...hotos-suspect/

Brendt Christensen, a 27-year-old PhD student researcher from Champaign, is accused of kidnapping Yingying Zhang, a missing University of Illinois visiting scholar.

Authorities said in an affidavit that they believe Zhang is dead. The affidavit in support of the charges provides chilling details; it says that authorities examined Christensen’s phone and alleges that he had accessed a website entitled “Abduction 101” and sub-threads that were called things like “perfect abduction fantasy” and “planning a kidnapping.”

According to the University of Illinois police, Zhang, a graduate student from China, disappeared on June 9. Her disappearance was big news in China as well as the United States as the Urbana community mobilized to find her.

At first, authorities had said they weren’t sure whether she was abducted, but that has now changed.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. Authorities Accuse Christensen of Visiting an ‘Abduction 101’ Fetish Site Thread & ‘Explaining that He Kidnapped Zhang’

Authorities had placed Christensen under surveillance before his arrest.

On June 29, 2017, “while Christensen was under law enforcement surveillance, agents overheard him explaining that he kidnapped Zhang. Based on this, and other facts uncovered during the investigation of this matter, law enforcement agents believe that Ms. Zhang is no longer alive.”

On June 15, Christensen was interviewed at the FBI’s Champaign office. According to the affidavit, authorities allege that he “admitted to driving around the UI campus when he observed an Asian female with a backpack standing at a corner appearing distressed. Christensen claimed that he drove up to the Asian female, who relayed she was late to an appointment. Christensen stated that he offered the Asian female a ride. The female entered his vehicle and attempted to show Christensen where she needed to go through her cell phone map app.”

Christensen allegedly claimed that “he believed he made a wrong turn because the female became panicked.” He claimed that he then let the female out of the vehicle in a residential area a few blocks away from where he picked her up.

However, on June 29, Christensen “was captured on audio recording while under law enforcement surveillance explaining how he kidnapped” Zhang. Christensen stated that he brought Zhang “back to his apartment, and otherwise held her in his apartment against her will,” the affidavit alleges.

The affidavit does not explain how authorities think Zhang died; it says authorities think she is no longer alive, but her body is still missing.

The affidavit alleges that Christensen’s phone accessed the abduction threads on a site called FetLife.
    FetLife’s home page reads, “FetLife is the Social Network for the BDSM, Fetish & Kinky Community. Like Facebook, but run by kinksters like you and me. We think it is more fun that way. Don’t you?”

The thread has more than 3,000 members. The other thread authorities accuse Christensen of visiting is entitled “planning a kidnapping” and contains a post from someone else that reads, “I’m a lucky sub. I actually have a friend who is going to kidnap me. She also has 3 helpers. The catch is we’ve never done this before. Suggestions thoughts and ideas for the actual abduction are most welcome. We need help lol.”

2. Christensen Is Accused of Driving a Vehicle That Zhang Was Seen Getting Into

Early on in the case, police released information about a black Saturn Astra vehicle that video captured Zhang getting into before she vanished. Then, they told the public they had identified the driver while saying little more. People had said they combed through motor vehicle records of all people who own such a vehicle in the city. This, they now say, led them to Christensen.

The affidavit filed in support of the complaint alleges that on June 9, “Christensen was driving the black Saturn Astra which was observed on security camera video as it stopped next to Zhang at the corner of W. Clark St. and N. Goodwin Ave., at approximately 2:00 p.m. Zhang is observed on video entering the front passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle then pulled away and proceeded northbound on N. Goodwin Ave.”

The affidavit provides a detailed accounting of the last moments Zhang is seen.

Police said that, on June 9, Zhang went to UI’s Turner Hall where she conducts research and then returned to her apartment for lunch. At 1:39 p.m., she sent a text message from her cell phone to a manager of a different apartment complex in Urbana, Illinois, where she intended to sign a lease. She said she was running behind, but would arrive about 2:10 p.m.

At 1:35 p.m., she was observed on video boarding a public bus. She exited the bus and tried to flag down another one, but it continued past her without stopping. Zhang was observed on video walking to an intersection and standing at a bus stop. At 2 p.m., a black Saturn Astra, driven, police say, by Christensen was observed on video passing Zhang at the bus stop and then circling back to her location, according to the affidavit.

She was observed speaking with the driver through the passenger window for about one minute, before entering the car. At 2:38 p.m,, the apartment manager sent Zhang a text message and received no response.

By 9:24 p.m., an associate professor reported that Zhang was missing. An officer met with the professor and other colleagues of Zhang, who said they had not been able to contact her for several hours. She had previously told people she was going to sign an apartment lease and would return shortly after. Calls to her cell phone went unanswered. Police searched her apartment and found nothing.

Then came the break in the case: The Saturn.

Authorities narrowed their search down to 18 four-door Saturn Astra vehicles registered in Champaign County and interviewed the owners. On June 12, they went to the 2500 block of W. Springfield Ave. in Champaign and saw the car registered to Christensen. Authorities interviewed Christensen who allegedly told authorities that, between 2 and 3 p.m. on June 9, the day that Zhang disappeared, he “could not initially recall his whereabouts. He later advised, however, he must have been either sleeping or he was playing video games at his residence all day.” He admitted the car belonged to him, the affidavit said.

Police noticed that the Saturn in video footage had a sunroof and cracked front passenger hubcap, as did Christensen’s car, alleged the affidavit.

Since Zhang was last seen in the video entering the car, said the news release issued by authorities, “the FBI, the University of Illinois Police Department and the Illinois State Police and local law enforcement have worked around the clock to locate Ms. Zhang and to investigate her disappearance.”

3. Christensen Is a Graduate Student Researcher at the Same University Where Zhang Worked

According to his LinkedIn page, Christensen is a PhD Student Researcher at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and he has worked there for 3 years and 7 months. That’s the same university where Zhang was a visiting scholar.

Zhang was an international scholar who focused her research in the areas of photosynthesis and crop productivity. She had only arrived at the University of Illinois in April 2017.

Christensen described his current research as: “Transport in thin flakes of Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2)” and “Investigating topological insulators/superconductors, such as probing the pairing symmetry of Bismuth Selenide (Bi2Se3).”

Fabrication techniques used included “Mechanical exfoliation of thin flakes” and “CVD (chemical vapor deposition) oven cleaning of substrates.”

4. Christensen Is a Graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Where He Was in the Physics Club

Christensen’s LinkedIn page says that he graduated from UW-Madison with a degree in Physics in 2013, and he was in the Physics club at that school.

On Facebook, Christensen wrote that he was from Stevens Point, Wisconsin.

5. Zhang’s Disappearance Galvanized the Community & Her Father Came From China to Try to Find Her

Zhang’s father, Zhang Ronggao, “traveled from Nanping, China, to do what he could to help find his daughter,” reported CNN.

A GoFundMe campaign to help Zhang’s family with living expenses while the search continues has raised almost $100,000.

These predatory, hunting, kidnapping, crazy thrill seekers who arrogantly talk about what they've done... I can't. I can't finish the article. It's so scary.

I'm so heartbroken for her family and friends.

This young lady was so smart and had so much potential. Man, I was so hoping they would find her alive and safe. Her family seem so amazing. I feel so bad for them.

http://wgntv.com/2017/06/18/fbi-offe...g-from-u-of-i/

Yingying Zhang, the daughter of a working-class factory driver from China, disappeared on June 9, just weeks after arriving at the University of Illinois where she was pursuing studies in agriculture sciences.

Those who knew Zhang described her as bright and outgoing. She played guitar and sang in a band called "Cute Horse" in China. One of her favorite songs was "The Rose," a hit in 1980 for American singer Bette Midler.

Zhang's boyfriend has said that she was also cautious and wouldn't normally get into a car with a stranger unless duped or forced.

Zhang graduated last year with a master's degree in environmental engineering from one of China's elite schools, Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School. She had been doing research on crop photosynthesis, which included using drones to study fields, the university's communications office has said.
    I wonder if she knew him since she and he were both working in/with the PhD program? Maybe that's why she was willing to get in the car with him.

There's been major developments in this case. They have determined a suspect (who attended her vigil) and she's feared dead:

CNN)It's the latest twist in a haunting kidnapping case that so far has left many painful questions unanswered for the family of a missing Illinois university student.

The man who is accused of kidnapping Yingying Zhang attended a vigil for her the day before he was arrested in the case, authorities said.
    Suspect Brendt Christensen can be seen in a photograph taken by CNN's Kaylee Hartung. He is leaning against a railing behind hundreds of students and community members who gathered to support her on Thursday on the campus where she was last seen. Christensen was arrested Friday and has been charged with kidnapping. Zhang is still missing.

Christensen has been charged but not tried or convicted in the case.
    But if -- as authorities claim -- he is her kidnapper, why would Christensen attend a vigil for his victim? In fact, that would not be so unusual. There is no shortage of examples of people who were found guilty of heinous crimes behaving in very a similar manner.
    "In a sick, twisted way, some of these criminals will go to the scene of funerals, they'll go to wakes, they'll actually show up," retired police officer Steve Rogers told Brooke Baldwin on "CNN Newsroom."
    Rogers is a former Nutley, New Jersey, police detective and was a member of an FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force.
    "Sometimes, believe it or not, they are remorseful, they are looking for forgiveness in their own way, and that's why they show up. They're having a hard time coping with what they did.
    "Or, they're just confirming that -- 'Hey look what I did, and I got all these people gathered in one area to mourn my victim,'" he said.
    Kidnapping suspect linked to abduction fantasy web page, FBI says
    Kidnapping suspect linked to abduction fantasy web page, FBI says
    Pleading for victims
    There have been well-documented cases of kidnappers and killers helping in the search for their own victims, attending rallies held for them, or making high-profile appeals for the missing person's safe return.
    Investigators said a 17-year-old convicted in the killing of a 6-year-old girl in Washington state attended a community vigil for the little girl.
    The case of Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro, who pleaded guilty to kidnapping and raping three young women he held prisoner for years, is another example.
    One of his victims, Gina DeJesus, was the best friend of his daughter. Castro seemed shaken by DeJesus' 2004 disappearance, even handing out fliers with the girl's photos. Castro later killed himself in prison.
    School rallies behind family of missing student
    School rallies behind family of missing student
    In 1994, South Carolina's Susan Smith confessed that she had strapped her two small children into their car seats and pushed the car into a lake. For weeks before that confession, Smith had said she had been carjacked by a black man while stopped at a red light in Union City. During the manhunt that followed, Smith made several TV appearances and tearfully pleaded for the return of her children. She was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison.
    Attorney: There's a long road ahead
    Twenty-six-year-old Zhang had come to the United States from China to further her education. She had been in the United States for only about two months when she disappeared June 9 from the campus of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, authorities said.
    Christensen appeared in a magistrate's court for an arraignment hearing Monday, where he did not enter a plea. He has been charged with kidnapping, and if convicted, the penalty is up to life in prison, said Sharon Paul, spokeswoman for the US Attorney's Office.
    Christensen's attorney, Evan Bruno, urged the public to avoid jumping to conclusions.
    "There's a long road ahead," Bruno said. "I encourage everyone to be patient, to keep an open mind and wait until the evidence comes in," Bruno said.
    Christensen will face another hearing Wednesday to determine whether he should remain in custody, according to the US attorney's office.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/04/us/ill...lly/index.html
    Oh well, back to gum.
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

Double
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 07-05-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    Oh well, back to gum.

I'm from the area. Even used to work at UIUC. The university and two cities like to spout they're a safe campus and area, but I distinctly remember getting a bunch of alerts about crimes happening while I was there. It's a dangerous place even if it doesn't look it.

They're saying he was scoping out his next victim at the vigil.

I am guessing she has a look-alike there.

http://www.kmov.com/story/35837753/f...linois-student

News 4 has learned that the FBI is investigating multiple reports of people spotting Yingying Zhang.

Zhang disappeared from the University of Illinois in June. Authorities believe she is dead. Brendt Christensen, 28, is charged in connection with her disappearance.

Christensen attended a vigil for her and prosecutors say he talked about the “ideal abduction victim.”

Multiple people have reported seeing Zhang in Salem, Illinois, 1.5 hours east of St. Louis.

Salem police say detectives have looked into the reports, but have not found concrete leads. The FBI says they are taking all tips and following through on them.

Despite investigators' belief that Zhang is dead, her family is still holding out hope that she is alive.

A business in Salem says her family has been in town, going off tips of sightings.

A $50,000 reward is being offered for anyone that has information on Zhang’s whereabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I am guessing she has a look-alike there.

http://www.kmov.com/story/35837753/f...linois-student
    Or are just racist and think all asians look alike.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...714-story.html

Reward for information about missing Chinese scholar raised to $50,000

As the search for a missing Chinese scholar extends into a second month at the University of Illinois, the Champaign County Crime Stoppers has increased the reward to anyone with information on her whereabouts to as much as $50,000.

A Crime Stoppers representative and the family of Yingying Zhang, who authorities say was kidnapped from near a bus stop on the Urbana-Champaign campus on June 9, announced the higher reward at a news conference Friday morning at the U. of I. Fire Service Institute in Champaign. The reward is an increase from the $40,000 offered by Crime Stoppers last month.

On Wednesday, a federal grand jury indicted a former U. of I. doctoral candidate, Brendt Christensen, on a kidnapping charge. Christensen, 28, had been arrested on June 30 and was previously charged via an affidavit filed with the federal court for the Central District of Illinois.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/20/us/chi...lea/index.html

Missing Chinese student: Suspect pleads not guilty to kidnapping

Brendt Christensen pleaded not guilty Thursday to one count of kidnapping in connection with the disappearance of Yingying Zhang, a University of Illinois student from China.
    Several members of Zhang's family attended the arraignment, including her father and an aunt. Her boyfriend was also in the room at the federal court in Urbana.
    Judge Eric Long asked Christensen questions about his mental health, whether he was under a doctor's care or had ever been in a hospital. Christensen said no. Christensen said he is taking antidepressants.

"We look forward to defending vigorously the rights of our client in this case," defense attorney Anthony Bruno told reporters. "I think it's important that we all wait to the evidence is in to draw conclusions about what has happened in this case."

They mentioned he's on anti-depressants like that has anything to do w what he did. Poor girl.

http://www.ecns.cn/cns-wire/2017/08-21/270131.shtml

Family of Zhang Yingying, a female Chinese visiting scholar at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, who is missing and presumed dead, have delivered a petition letter to U.S. President Donald Trump seeking help.

It has been over 70 days since Zhang went missing in Champaign. Brendt Christensen, a former Illinois grad student, has been charged with kidnapping, but police have no clue as to where she or her remains are.

Local Chinese communities are helping Zhang's family, including her mother, brother and aunt who recently arrived in the city.

A lawyer for the family said there has been no breakthrough so far in the investigation. A hearing for the suspect will be held in the coming month.

Zhang's family said they would make public the petition letter to President Trump at a press conference on Aug. 22.

Thread Information