Thread: Naomi Jones (12) was found dead near her home

Naomi Jones (12) was found dead near her home

Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-19-2022 at 10:54 AM.

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar
    http://www.pnj.com/story/news/2017/0...y-2/365852001/

Search for Naomi Jones enters day 2
    Kevin Robinson , krobinson4@pnj.com Published 1:05 p.m. CT June 2, 2017 | Updated 3 hours ago

Local authorities are broadening their search for a 12-year-old Pensacola girl who has been missing since Wednesday.

Naomi Jeanell Jones was last seen in front of Aspen Village Apartments, 1460 E. Johnson Ave.

Naomi's mom, Shantara Hurry, surrounded by family, waited anxiously in her apartment for news about her little girl Friday afternoon.

She thumbed through pictures of Naomi on her phone, pausing briefly on one she said captured her daughter's personality perfectly.

The photo showed three of Naomi's relatives lined up, facing the camera, while Naomi bounded into the frame, joyfully flailing her arms and legs as she leaped.

"She's very happy," Hurry said with a smile. "Goofy, witty, charismatic ... she's just an awesome little girl."

As Hurry waited for news, investigators made rounds to nearby apartments collecting and sharing information with residents.

Hurry said she was thankful that so many people had been willing to help her family in their time of need.

"It feels great," she said of the community outpouring. "I'm just happy to have the support of my family, co-workers, people I don't even know."

While the search went on around her, Hurry did what she could: wait and hope.

"I just want her here," Hurry said of Naomi. "To come home and be in one piece."

The Escambia County Sheriff's Office entered large-scale search operations on Thursday, going door-to-door in the surrounding community and, with help from the KlaasKids Foundation, recruiting volunteers to comb through nearby woods and subdivisions.

The search efforts continued through the night, and by Friday had expanded to approximately 150 personnel including the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, the FBI and community volunteers. The officials began searching local waterways Friday, and are reaching out urging officials in Alabama and other neighboring areas to be on the lookout for Naomi in their communities.

"We want to cast this net as broad as we can cast it to make sure if there's anything out there that will let us to find and recover Naomi Jones, hopefully unharmed, that's obviously our goal," said Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan.

Morgan said the first 72 hours in a search for a missing child were the most critical. He said in addition to combing the area, investigators were delving into matters such as whether she might have friends, family or ties in areas outside Pensacola, and whether she could possibly have been a victim of a crime such as abduction.

More: Police search for missing Pensacola man

The sheriff urged anyone with information on Naomi's possible whereabouts to contact 911.

Naomi is described as a 5-foot-1-inch black female weighing 90-100 pounds.

She has black hair with pink strands, and was last seen wearing a red spaghetti-strap shirt, white shoes, and red, white and blue American flag shorts.

KlaasKids is accepting volunteers and organizing community search efforts at Olive Baptist Church, 1836 E. Olive Rd.
    I hope they find this baby soon! Her mother has to be scared to death.
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

Beautiful girl.

I really hope this ends well.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    http://www.wjhg.com/content/news/Wal...426582941.html

UPDATE: Missing Pensacola girl found dead
    How tragic
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    That poor little girl.

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar
    I was afraid that this would be the ending. I hate that my mind goes there every time there is a missing child. RIP Naomi
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

Damn it! That poor child. Prayers for her family and friends.

12 years old ffs

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/2017/0...urs/377551001/

Naomi Jones possibly targeted by sexual predator

Naomi Jones was likely killed within the first 24 to 36 hours she went missing, Sheriff David Morgan said in a press conference Wednesday.

Morgan, briefing reporters on the status of the investigation into Naomi?s death, said preliminary autopsy results indicated Naomi likely died by asphyxiation.

The sheriff also hinted that the 12-year-old ? whose remains were recovered from Eight Mile Creek on Monday some four miles from the apartment complex where she disappeared May 31 ? may have been targeted by a dangerous sexual predator she had previously interacted with on social media.

"We think she was picked up almost immediately when she left the house, transported ? to where we do not know yet ? but within that 24 to 36 hours her body was then placed in the water,? Morgan said. ?So we believe within the first day, she was probably murdered.?

Morgan said as of Wednesday, the Sheriff's Office had not identified a suspect in Naomi?s death, but was partnering with the FBI and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to check their databases and see if the means and manner of Naomi?s death were consistent with other homicide cases elsewhere in the state or the nation.

ECSO investigators are continuing to speak to several people of interest, but Morgan stressed that does not mean they are considered suspects.

Naomi interacted with a friend on Facebook at 12:21 p.m. Wednesday and disappeared shortly thereafter, according to the Sheriff's Office.

People who knew Naomi described her as a ?scrapper? who would be unlikely to get in a car with a stranger or be taken without putting up a fight, the sheriff said. In the hundreds of interviews investigators conducted with people who knew Naomi or who lived, worked or commuted in the area where she lived, no one reported noticing anything "untoward" on the day Naomi went missing.

That fact - along with records of Naomi?s social media usage prior to her disappearance ? leads investigators to suspect that Naomi was picked up willingly by someone with whom she had an ?understanding or relationship,? according to Morgan.

"It wasn't a strange man that pulled up next to her on the street, rolled down the window and said 'Hey, can I give you a ride?'" Morgan said. "The profile that we're getting of Naomi right now is she would not have entered the vehicle under those circumstances."

Both Morgan and State Attorney Bill Eddins asked parents to keep a close eye on their children's' social media usage, as they believe the platform could be how Naomi came into contact with her killer.

Morgan made reference to the individual who harmed Naomi as possibly being a sexual predator, but noted the investigation remains fluid and prevailing theories could change as new information came to light.

"If you say, 'Well, do you have a direct link between someone she was communicating with, and now she is deceased?' the answer to that question is no, but she was a social media person," Morgan said.

Naomi was reported missing May 31 when she left the family's East Johnson Avenue home just after noon and didn't return.

None of Naomi?s family members are considered people of interest, Morgan said.
    "Those individuals, to the best of our abilities at this time, we have no reason to believe they are involved," Morgan said.

Within hours of Naomi's disappearance, Escambia County Sheriff's Office investigators had joined with the FBI, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, the State Attorney's Office, KLAASKids Foundation, and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children to search for the missing child.

Hundreds of community volunteers canvassed a three-mile radius around Naomi's home for five days until her body was found by fishermen in Eight Mile Creek on Monday afternoon.

Since Naomi's body was found, there has been an outpouring of support for the family as the community began mourning. A memorial site by the Eight Mile Creek bridge has grown since Tuesday, with residents leaving balloons, teddy bears and kind words to remember Naomi.

KLAASKids launched a GoFundMe page Tuesday on behalf of the family to help the family with household expenses. As of Wednesday afternoon, that fund had exceeded $6,000.

A community remembrance night in Naomi's honor will be held Thursday in the back parking lot of Olive Baptist Church from 7 p.m.

PENSACOLA, FL (WKRG) — The Escambia County Sheriff has revealed an app that might have contributed to the disappearance and death of 12-year-old Naomi Jones.

At a press conference on Wednesday, Sheriff Morgan said the app “Marco Polo” was used by Jones to communicate with individuals that might be connected to her death by asphyxiation. The exchanges on Jones’ accounts were said to be sexual in nature.

Morgan cautioned all parents to be wary of apps like Marco Polo, which teens can use to communicate with strangers.

Marco Polo is described as a “video walkie-talkie app” that’s similar to Snapchat. Users can send and receive short videos — called “Polos” — with friends they add online.

TechCrunch noted that downloads of Marco Polo skyrocketed late last year, with young users propelling the app’s popularity.

The app doesn’t appear to have a track record of being used maliciously, but as with any communication-based application, it’s designed intent can often differ from how it’s used by it’s core users. As an example, Snapchat can be a fun, filter-themed messaging service for one person, but a sexting platform for the next.

Marco Polo has been available for several years, but only recently spiked in popularity. It has glowing reviews on the Apple App Store and Google Play, at four-and-a-half stars each.

Here’s the description from the Apple App Store:

Keep your friends close with Marco Polo.

HOW IT WORKS
    1. You tap on the button and start talking
    2. Your friend listens and responds right away, or waits until it’s convenient
    3. You keep going and stay close!

FEATURES
    ** Feel close to those you love, no matter the distance
    ** Talk all you want, no limits
    ** Watch all you want, messages don’t disappear
    ** Look and feel awesome with fab filters
    ** Easy to use and easy on your data plan ��

KEEP IN TOUCH ON THE GO
    ** Sing happy birthday to your friend through the movie star filter
    ** Say “good night” to your bf with the night vision filter
    ** Send your friends a clip of your awesome vacation
    ** “Stretch out” a conversation if you’re busy or use it like a walkie-talkie for non-stop fun
    ** Stay connected wherever you are: in the subway, waiting in line, at a concert…
    ** Have a group conversation with your besties so everyone is kept in the lop
    http://wkrg.com/2017/06/07/marco-pol...-was-murdered/

Here is a face book page set up for Naomi. Rest in Paradise baby girl!

https://www.facebook.com/Help-Find-N...8323549461757/

https://weartv.com/news/local/naomi-...ke-it-to-court

New details in the murder case of Naomi Jones- Motions have been filed on behalf of Robert Letroy Howard, the man charged with killing the 12-year-old.

Channel 3 News obtained the documents Thursday. According to the motions, after five-and-a-half hours of interrogation, Howard confessed to killing Jones. He claims the 12-year-old came into his girlfriend's apartment, making sexual advances toward him. His confession states that's when he became angry and choked her to death.

The motions, filed separately in July this year, claim Howard's confession was obtained unlawfully - that he was coerced, and cellphone data used as probable cause to arrest him, was also obtained unlawfully.

The first motion details the interrogation process, in which an Escambia County Sheriff's Office investigator and a sergeant along with a Florida Department of Law Enforcement agent questioned Howard about Jones' murder from about 11 p.m. on June 7, 2017 to 4:30 a.m. on June 8.

The motion claims the investigator told Howard he was not under arrest - even though he was, stating she knowingly misrepresented Howard's legal status.

It goes on to state the investigator, the sergeant and the FDLE agent repeatedly threatened Howard, insinuating he will be seen as "a monster" and a "soulless killer".

The document explains the investigators bring up Howard's own children, asking how he thinks people will treat his daughter and how his son will grow up after hearing all of this. They tell Howard the media will "paint him out to be an absolute (expletive) devil."

The motion also alleges the sergeant threatened Howard with the death penalty, stating he won't know when his "time card" will be "punched" and he'll be given "that dirty needle" adding, to avoid the death penalty, Howard needed the sergeant's help to show he didn't want the killing to happen and that it was a mistake - which the motion sites as "implied promises of leniency or benefit if he confessed."

The second motion states the sheriff's office did not have probable cause to issue a warrant for the cellphone data which puts Howard's phone in the vicinity of where Jones' body was found. Without that data, the motion then claims Howard's arrest was illegal.

Channel 3 News spoke with Shantara Hurry, Jones' mother who is not surprisingly upset with what these motions claim. She calls them baseless and adds Howard is only trying to retract his initial statements because he knows his options are limited.

She tells us she is not giving up this fight and justice will be served for Naomi.

What a piece of shit! "this 12 year old made advances towards me (sure) and the only logical response is that I had to kill her". I didn't think this case could get worse, but it did.

Exactly. What a fucking arsehole. Jfc.

So this dick was trying to get his confession suppressed for trial

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2018/...ge/1525716002/

A judge determined investigators were within the bounds of the law when they obtained a murder confession from a man who claimed he didn't realize he was under arrest.

Robert Letroy Howard, 39, is a convicted Alabama sex offender who is now charged with first-degree murder in the death of 12-year-old Naomi Jones. The Ensley girl went missing from her apartment May 31, 2017, setting off a community-wide search that ended when Naomi's remains were found in a creek June 5.

Howard was arrested June 7, 2017, and early the morning of June 8, 2017, he allegedly admitted to strangling Naomi and throwing her body off a bridge. However, Howard's attorney argued the confession should be suppressed at trial because Howard was incorrectly told he was not under arrest when his was brought into the Sheriff's Office for questioning.

The defense argued the investigator's "deception" gave Howard "no objective reason to think he had been seized" and was "in legal danger." Howard's counsel also argued that Howard was coerced into confessing because investigators implied the only way he could escape the death penalty was by admitting his guilt.

Judge Gary Bergosh filed a written order Tuesday finding Howard's rights were not violated and his confession was given willingly.

The judge wrote that while Howard was certainly "misadvised" when he was told he was not under arrest, this error did not render his confession involuntary.

On June 7, 2017, deputies handcuffed Howard and placed him in a vehicle to be transported to the Escambia County Sheriff's Office. Bergosh wrote that legal precedent had established an officer "does not have to specifically tell the detained person that he or she is under arrest; all that is required is that the officer's conduct inform the person that he or she is under arrest."

Bergosh noted that Howard was informed during his interrogation that he had been detained in connection with Naomi's death. Howard was also read his Miranda rights, and he reportedly did not confess until hours into the interview when investigators said they had evidence linking Howard to a crime scene.

The judge also addressed the defendant's claims that investigators coerced him into confessing by stating he would receive the death penalty if he didn't confess.

During the interview, Howard reportedly said "There's no guarantee that ... they will have any kind of sympathy or mercy on me regardless of how I present myself or whatever I say ... I can still very well get the death penalty," a sign to the judge that Howard understood the full implications of his confession and that it was admissible as evidence.

In a separate ruling, Bergosh also dismissed a motion to suppress cellphone location data taken from Howard's phone records. Howard's attorney argued the data was seized without probable cause.

The search warrant affidavit said that Howard, a known sexual offender, could be placed at the apartment complex at the approximate time Naomi disappeared, which Bergosh found to be sufficient probable cause.

Howard was designated as a sex offender in Alabama after he was convicted of sexually assaulting two under-aged girls in 1999.

The State Attorney's Office has announced its intention to seek the death penalty against Howard for aggravating factors such as Naomi's age and Howard's previous criminal history. Assistant State Attorney Bridgette Jensen will prosecute the case for the state, and Spiro Kypreos, an assistant public defender, is representing Howard.

A trial date has not yet been set.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    He was a sex offender. That should be proof enough that he sexually assaulted her. What other motive would he have to even take her in the first place if it wasn't that?
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Tragic that this family hasn't seen justice in three years. Rest in peace, Naomi...
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thread Information