Thread: Richard Collins III (23) was stabbed to death by Alt Reich Nation member Sean Christopher Urbanski (22)

Richard Collins III (23) was stabbed to death by Alt Reich Nation member Sean Christopher Urbanski (22)

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...423505764.html

The FBI is helping to investigate the fatal stabbing on the University of Maryland campus to determine whether it was a hate crime.

University of Maryland student Sean Christopher Urbanski, 22, has been charged with first- and second-degree murder as well as first-degree assault in the death of Richard Collins III.

University of Maryland Police Chief David Mitchell said at a press conference Sunday that he sought the FBI's help after finding that Urbanski is a member of a Facebook group called "Alt Reich: Nation," where members post racially charged material. Urbanski is white and Collins was black.

"Suffice it to say that it's despicable. It shows extreme bias against women, Latinos, members of the Jewish faith and especially African Americans," Mitchell said.

"We are here to evaluate that as an ongoing concern with respect to whether or not this was a hate crime," said Gordon Johnson, special agent in charge of the FBI field office in Baltimore.

Family members told News4 that 23-year-old Collins was a senior at nearby Bowie State University and was set to graduate on Tuesday. He was recently commissioned as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army.

Collins was at a bus stop with two friends near the University of Maryland's Montgomery Hall on Regents Drive about 3 a.m. Saturday, police said.

Court documents obtained by News4 say Collins was waiting for the university's shuttle bus with his friends when they realized the shuttle bus had stopped running for the night. The three decided to call an Uber and were waiting for one to arrive when they heard Urbanski screaming nearby, the documents said.

Collins and his friends watched Urbanski has he approached them. According to court documents, "Urbanski said, 'Step left, step left if you know what's best for you.'

"Collins said 'No' as Urbanski continue to approach," the documents said.

One of Collins' friends noticed Urbanski was holding a knife with a 3- to 4-inch silver blade as the suspect stabbed Collins once in the chest area, documents said. The friend ran toward Baltimore Avenue as she called 911 and asked the Uber driver to call 911. Other witnesses stayed with Collins and tried to help him until police and medics arrived.

Two Prince George's County police officers found Urbanski sitting on a bench at a bus stop about 50 feet from where Collins had collapsed. Witnesses identified him as the suspect and he was taken into custody at the university's police department, documents said.

University of Maryland students expressed sadness and fear after the stabbing. Mitchell said the department has stepped up patrols on and around campus.

"I'm not aware of any increase in threats here on campus, but certainly and increase in fear," Mitchell said. "If I'm a person of color, I would certainly look at this as something that could happen to me. In fact, I know on Facebook our students are saying that.''

Dr. Artie Lee Travis, vice president for student affairs at Bowie State University, said the school hopes the investigation moves forward as quickly as possible.

"Hate has no place in America,'' Travis said. "Hate has no place on a college campus, where young minds are coming together to try to change the world.'"

Urbanski is being held without bond.

Alt Reich: Nation

I wanted to add a pic of the victim, and of the piece of trash that killed him:

Richard:

Mr. Alt Reich bullshit:

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Sickening. I feel horrible for Richard's family.

An amazing future cut short by a waste of human chromosomes. Cunt.

RIP Richard. You deserved better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Senseless.

RIP Richard

https://twitter.com/AugensteinWTOP/s...13670592794624

Neal Augenstein @AugensteinWTOP

Richard Collins III's graduation gown draped over front row chairs at Bowie State University ceremony. He was murdered Saturday
    http://www.theroot.com/bowie-state-u...t-k-1795471762

A moment of silence was held during the Class of 2017 commencement ceremony at Bowie State University in Maryland on Tuesday to remember the life of Richard Collins III.

During the commencement speech, Mickey L. Burnim, president of the university, spoke about Collins and offered the moment of silence at the 2:14:25 mark in the video above.

Last week, after leaving a party at the University of Maryland, College Park, Collins, 23, was stabbed to death by Sean Christopher Urbanski, 22, on the campus, located just 10 miles from the HBCU.

Collins was slated to graduate with his classmates on Tuesday, but now his parents are planning his funeral.

?I?m in no place to feel very many emotions beside sadness and just a deep sense of personal loss,? Richard Collins Jr., his father, stated.

?A parent?s worst nightmare has just reached my doorstep,? he continued.

The FBI joined the investigation into Collins? death, to determine whether the killing was a hate crime, after discovering that Urbanski belonged to a white supremacist Facebook group.

That picture just killed me. How are the alt, nazis and KKK not considered terrorist organizations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    That picture just killed me. How are the alt, nazis and KKK not considered terrorist organizations?
    Well duh. They're white. Terrorists are only brown and black. Everyone knows that. These are just good boys celebrating their heritage and protecting their country from invaders.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/25/us/uni...lan/index.html

After homicide, black U. of Maryland students demand change -- and get it

For years, students complained, saying University of Maryland officials needed to do more to prevent or respond to racist incidents on campus.

Then Richard Collins III was stabbed to death at a campus bus stop.

The death of the young black Army lieutenant -- just three days before his graduation -- spurred renewed tensions at UMD and prompted officials to roll out a series of new anti-hate initiatives.
    "As we grieve the loss of Lt. Richard Collins III of Bowie State University, we must also act to combat hate and create a safer campus," UMD President Wallace D. Loh said in a statement Wednesday.

But even before Collins' death, the university has been grappling with a series of racially charged incidents.

Racist flyers, slurs and a noose

Tamara Adams vividly remembers the day she saw the white nationalist flyers posted on campus: "America is a white nation," it read.

"I questioned whether or not I (as an African-American) was welcome on the University of Maryland campus," the senior said.

Those posters went up in March. The next month, someone left a noose in the kitchen of UMD's Phi Kappa Tau fraternity house.

UMD police called the incident a "hateful act" and launched a "hate/bias investigation."

Student Alexis Ojeda-Brown refused to stay silent. Earlier this month, she used a bullhorn to denounce the noose incident on an open area of campus -- only to have students respond by saying, "Who cares?"

Many students recalled a fraternity member's racist email that was eventually forwarded to a university staff member in 2015. The email not only used epithets against African-American, Asian and other minority women, but also appeared to promote sexual assault by saying, "f*** consent."

Senior Clarissa Corey-Bey grew up in the same county as the campus -- Prince George's County -- but had never been called the "N word" until reaching UMD.

But the simmering racial tensions boiled over after a gruesome stabbing death.

Senseless killing leads to change

Collins, 23, was standing at a bus stop with friends on Saturday when a UMD student, Sean Christopher Urbanski, stabbed him in the chest, police said.

The College Park campus police chief said the suspect was a member of a "despicable" Facebook group called "Alt-Reich," which spewed hatred toward blacks and other minorities.

While the motive is not yet clear, the FBI is investigating whether the killing should be prosecuted as a hate crime.

But the Black Student Union said enough was enough.

"This is not the first incident exposing the escalating racial tensions at the University of Maryland, and if the administration does not extend their actions beyond 'dialogue', it will surely not be the last," the group wrote in a statement Monday.

Two days later, the UMD president unveiled a five-part action plan, effective immediately. That plan includes:

-- Creating a trained, rapid-response team for any hate-based incident
    -- Allocating $100,000 for the Office of Diversity and Inclusion "to support diversity and inclusion efforts that educate all members of our community"
    -- Creating an annual report on all hate-bias incidents on campus, which will also include information about ongoing prevention, response and education measures
    -- Asking the Athletic Council to work on explicitly prohibiting "any hate-bias symbols or actions in any athletic venue"
    -- Establishing a task force on hate-bias and campus safety, comprised of faculty, staff, students and alumni.

UMD spokeswoman Katie Lawson said anti-hate efforts had already started before Collins' death.

"As we and other universities across the nation have been grappling with these issues, we have been working on action steps for some time," she said. "This tragedy accelerated the process."

'I'm in a constant state of anxiety'

The UMD Black Student Union issued a statement Thursday saying it's pleased with President Loh's action plan -- though more work needs to be done.

Response to President Loh's "Reflection and Action" email from UMD's Black Student Union. We look forward to working with @PresidentLoh pic.twitter.com/rGMrLL7yr1
    — UMD | BSU (@BlackTerp) May 25, 2017

Ojeda-Brown said she's holding her praise until she sees real results.

While the rising senior said she doesn't regret choosing UMD and considers it a "great school academic wise," she still deals with the anxiety of not knowing whether one of her classmates may have been the one who hung a noose on campus.

"I'm in a constant state of anxiety to the point where I can't focus in class when incidents like this happen," she said.

ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- A Maryland prosecutor says a man has been indicted on a hate crime charge for allegedly stabbing a college student to death "because of his race."

Prince George's County State's Attorney Angela Alsobrooks announced a grand jury indictment against Sean Urbanski on Tuesday. Richard Collins III was stabbed to death on May 20 at the University of Maryland, days before he was set to graduate from Bowie State University.

Collins was black. Urbanski is white.

Alsobrooks says authorities analyzed "lots and lots of digital evidence," including evidence from a phone. She says prosecutors are comfortable they brought enough evidence justifying the hate crime charge.

Urbanski became a member of a racist Facebook group several months before the stabbing, reports CBS affiliate WUSA9.

Alsobrooks says prosecutors took the time they felt necessary to investigate all of the evidence.

Urbanski has been held on a murder charge since the stabbing.

CBS News confirms Urbanski faces a maximum penalty of life without parole on the murder charge and an additional 20 years on the new charge of hate crime resulting in death.

His trial is set to begin in mid-January 2018.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sean-ur...s-iii-slaying/

Good, Fuck that guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Why?

Because I don't like anal penetration sex between men, I don't.

Just because I don't like anal sex, doesn't make me any less gay or unable to be loved.

I can't be the only one out here, I'm just not. Don't worry about it. Mind your fucking business.

https://wtop.com/prince-georges-coun...-murder-trial/

Lawyers clash over need for specifics, secrecy in U.Md. murder trial

Almost 10 months after Army Lt. Richard Collins III was stabbed to death while visiting the University of Maryland, prosecutors have provided few details laying out why they believe Sean Urbanski killed the graduating Bowie State senior, and Urbanski’s lawyers have offered few clues of a possible defense.

The specifics of both the prosecution and defense strategies may remain secret until Urbanski goes on trial in July.

Urbanski, who is white, is charged with first-degree-murder in the death of Collins, who was black. Urbanski has also been charged with a hate crime.

Urbanski’s attorneys filed a motion stating prosecutors had not provided enough specifics about the crimes they allege Urbanski committed.

Prince George’s County prosecutors have countered, saying the request for more information from Urbanski’s attorneys is not appropriate.
    In an early court hearing, defense attorney William Brennan told a judge “alcohol and substance abuse may have played a significant role in all of this.” Brennan did not return an email seeking an update on a possible defense.

Prince George’s County prosecutors have said they intend to seek a life sentence without the possibility of parole. The state charge of hate crime resulting in death carries a sentence of 20 years.

However, federal hate crimes involving murder could make a defendant eligible for the death penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post

Lawyers clash over need for specifics, secrecy in U.Md. murder trial
    Sure, alcohol made him racist.

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/m...ban-05-08-2018

Murder, hate crime defendant seeks Facebook evidence ban

Lawyers for the man charged with murder and a hate crime in the fatal stabbing of a black student in Maryland have asked a judge to exclude evidence tying him to a Facebook page called "Alt-Reich: Nation."

News outlets report 23-year-old Sean Urbanski's lawyers filed a motion Friday, saying they believe prosecutors will present content from the now-deleted white supremacist Facebook page that they say is "inflammatory" and "irrelevant."
    I love all these 'big men' who are so proud to post their bullshit, then want to cry and cover it up when they get caught doing bad shit. Not only are they assholes, but they're cowards.

https://wtop.com/prince-georges-coun...er-hate-trial/

Prosecutors say racist postings found on defendant Sean Urbanski’s phone, and his membership in the Alt-Reich: Nation Facebook group are “relevant and probative” in proving he fatally stabbed a black student visiting University of Maryland.

Earlier this month, Urbanski’s lawyers said cartoons and a group message survey found on Urbanski’s phone were “particularly offensive, extremely prejudicial, highly inflammatory, (and) irrelevant,” and shouldn’t be allowed at trial.

In a court filing, Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks said that evidence “tends to prove a material fact, that is, that the Defendant purposefully chose to stab Mr. Collins, over anyone else at the bus stop that night, because Mr. Collins is an African American.”
    Basically "my behaviour is awful, therefore you can't hold it against me because people will think I am awful".

Prosecutors have said they intend to seek a life sentence with no chance of parole for Urbanski’s murder charge. The state charge of hate crime resulting in death carries a maximum sentence of 20 years.

Federal hate crimes involving murder could make a defendant eligible for capital punishment, but the FBI and federal prosecutors have not said whether they intend to file a federal charge.

Prince George’s County prosecutors have not revealed the specifics of evidence gathered that would prove Urbanski is a white supremacist.

https://wtop.com/prince-georges-coun...er-hate-trial/

Lawyers for the former University of Maryland student charged with murder and a hate crime in the stabbing of a black student who was visiting the College Park campus, have filed a motion seeking dismissal of the hate charge, claiming it violates their client’s First Amendment rights.

Sean Urbanski, now 24, is charged with first-degree murder and a hate crime that resulted in a death, in the killing of U.S. Army Lt. Richard Collins III, who was 23 when he died on May 20, 2017.

In their motion, which was filed last week but only appeared in court records Tuesday, Urbanski’s attorneys, William Brennan and John McKenna argue the “charge violates the First Amendment by impermissibly prohibiting or criminalizing protected speech.”

A Prince George’s County judge postponed hearing arguments Tuesday whether racist cartoons and posts in a now-deleted white supremacist Facebook group can be used in the prosecution of Urbanski.

In their motion, Brennan and McKenna write under Maryland’s hate crime statute “only speech actually connected to the offense should be used as evidence of motivation.”

“Generalized evidence concerning the defendant’s racial views is not sufficient to meet this test,” according to the defense.

Lawyers for Urbanski have been seeking two separate trials for their client — one trial for first-degree murder, which in Maryland carries a top sentence of life in prison with no chance of parole, and one trial for the hate crime, which carries a maximum of 20 years behind bars.

This is such bullshit

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    This is such bullshit
    I agree. Complete and utter bullshit.

https://dbknews.com/2019/07/09/richa...-murder-trial/

Defense attorneys for the former University of Maryland student charged in the fatal stabbing of 2nd Lt. Richard Collins want his trial to be pushed back for a fourth time.

Sean Urbanski is charged with murder and a hate crime in the death of Collins, who was killed while waiting at a campus bus stop in May 2017. His trial was originally scheduled for January 2018.

It was later pushed back to July of that year. And then to January of the next year following State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks departure to County Executive, sending a new group of lawyers to the case. Finally, it was scheduled for July 2019 and is set to start in less than two weeks.

But in a filing dated June 28, according to the Associated Press, Urbanski’s lawyers argued they needed more time to sort through evidence from his cell phone, which has been at the center of the case’s recent delays.

In June, Judge Lawrence Hill ruled that the contested evidence — which consisted of images saved to Urbanski’s phone over a period of about four months — was admissible in court, despite his lawyers’ efforts to bar them.

The photos included racist memes and some advocated violence, Hill said. Prosecutors have maintained that they are relevant to the case because they show why Urbanski selected Collins, a black Bowie State student whom he did not know, as his victim. But Urbanki’s lawyers contend the images have no connection to the crime and would subject him to unfair prejudice.

Neither Urbanski’s lawyers nor the Prince George’s County State’s Attorney’s Office, which is prosecuting the case, were immediately available for comment.

The defense wrote in its motion that prosecutors only recently handed over a digital copy of Urbanski’s phone, which they need an expert to analyze, the AP reported. But prosecutors said the defense didn’t ask for it until May 17, and they provided it a week later.

“The defense in this case have had almost two years to prepare for this case, unlike the prosecutorial team that came to the case in January,” the prosecution wrote in a filing from Monday, according to the AP.

https://newsone.com/3896577/murder-t...sympathy-card/

The hate crime trial is underway for a University of Maryland student accused of the fatal stabbing of Bowie State University student Richard Collins III back in May 2017.

According to WJLA, Prince George’s County prosecutors are saying Sean Urbanski killed Collins, who was visiting UMD’s campus, because Urbanski was biased against Black people. Meanwhile, the defense seems to be playing the old white sympathy card, saying Urbanski was drunk and upset about his friends graduating a year ahead of him.

Prosecutors kicked off the trial Wednesday, telling jurors that Urbanski had “poisoned” his mind beginning in 2016 with offensive humor and racist imagery. They argued that when he saw newly commissioned Army 2nd Lt. Richard Collins with a white man and an Asian woman at a University of Maryland bus stop, he carried out a targeted, premeditated murder.

They directly said in court that Urbanski “killed Collins for no reason other than he was Black.” The evidence they cited included racist memes on his phone and his apparent Facebook membership to a racist White Supremacist group called “Alt-Reich: Nation.”

Defense attorneys hit back at the prosecution saying that there is no evidence of a motive. They argued that Urbanski was so drunk that he didn’t even know what he did and he was possibly upset because that evening, his friends were celebrating graduation and Urbanski had fallen a year behind. The defense insisted the hate crime allegation is speculation and the crime “was about place, not race.”

Richard Collins’ father took to the stand on Wednesday to testify and he explained to jurors that he and his wife were elated about their son’s Army commission and coming graduation from Bowie State, and they described him as a go-getter who loved to meet folks no matter their race.

Collins died just three days before he was scheduled to graduate from Bowie State University, a historically Black college.

His death sparked vigils and a march on the University of Maryland campus. Two folks who didn’t know him showed up to the court on Wednesday wearing “Justice for Richard” t-shirts. The judge requested that these shirts be covered up.

If convicted, Urbanski faces life in prison without parole, according to CBS13.

https://wtop.com/prince-georges-coun...e-crime-trial/

A judge has thrown out the hate-crime charge in the murder trial of Sean Urbanski, who is charged with fatally stabbing a black university student in May 2017.

Prince George’s County Circuit Court Judge Lawrence Hill said Tuesday that prosecutors had failed to show 24-year-old Urbanski, who is white, stabbed U.S. Army 2nd Lt. Richard Collins III specifically because Collins was black.

Jurors will still consider a first-degree murder charge against Urbanski.

Collins’ parents, Dawn and Richard Collins, who had released an emotional statement at the start of the trial last week, left the Upper Marlboro courtroom shortly after the judge’s ruling, visibly upset.

Their son was days away from graduating from Bowie State University and had just been commissioned as an Army officer when he was stabbed waiting at a bus stop on the University of Maryland’s College Park campus.

During opening statements in the trial last week, prosecutors had argued Urbanski’s mind was “poisoned” by hate, pointing to racist memes found on his phone and his membership in a Facebook group called “Alt-Reich: Nation,” which also circulated racist images.

Urbanski stabbed Collins “for no reason other than he was black,” Prince George’s County prosecutor Jason Abbott said.

However, in his ruling Tuesday, several days into the trial, the judge ruled that prosecutors had failed to meet the burden for the jury to consider the hate-crime charge.

Though Urbanski had racist memes on his phone, prosecutors hadn’t presented any evidence or testimony that he had uttered any racist comments or that he had ever advocated violence against anyone, the judge said.

The fact that Urbanski had racist memes on his phone “shows some evidence of the defendant’s ideology,” the judge said, but he ruled that prosecutors hadn’t shown it was actually the motive for Collins’ killing.

The judge’s decision came after one of Urbanski’s defense attorneys, John McKenna, requested what’s known as a summary acquittal on the hate-crime charge.

Urbanski’s defense team don’t deny that Urbanski stabbed Collins — the attack was partly captured on surveillance video — but they argue there’s no evidence the stabbing was motivated by hate.

Instead, defense attorneys contend Urbanski was drunk and angry that night, perhaps about not graduating on time with his classmates that spring. At the time of the stabbing, Urbanski’s blood alcohol content was more than three times the legal limit, according to a defense expert.

“There’s simply no evidence of a race-based motive, and a lot of evidence of alcohol as a motive,” McKenna argued Tuesday.

The defense rested its case Tuesday.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 12-17-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Sean Urbanski, the man charged with fatally stabbing Army 2nd Lt. Richard Collins III on the University of Maryland’s College Park campus in 2017, has been convicted of first-degree murder.

The jury deliberated for about two hours Wednesday following a six-day trial in Prince George’s County Circuit Court.

Urbanski, 24, will be sentenced April 16 and faces a maximum sentence of life in prison with no chance of parole. Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Aisha Braveboy said in a statement after the verdict was announced that her office would seek the maximum penalty.

Prosecutors maintained the killing was racially motivated — even after a legal setback earlier this week when a judge tossed a separate hate-crime charge in the case.

Thread Information