Thread: Mimi Cowen (65) was murdered by her tenant, Scott Pettigrew, after a judge refused to evict him

Mimi Cowen (65) was murdered by her tenant, Scott Pettigrew, after a judge refused to evict him

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-murder.html

A 65-year-old woman who begged a judge to evict her tenant just days before she was killed, was able to record her own murder.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-20-2022 at 08:17 AM.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    That's horrible! I hate that judge's can't be held accountable for their shitty judgment calls.

RIP

ust days before her murder, Cowen had filed a request for a restraining order and eviction on June 9, saying she was worried that Pettigrew's behaviour was becoming increasingly erratic.

'Scared to do anything except stay away,' Cowen wrote in court documents. 'Scott is intensifying this to keep me in constant fear of him and what he will do next time. I don't want a next time.'
    So sad.

I'll never understand why it's so hard for Landlords to evict somebody if they haven't paid rent in months? I can understand if a person is behind one or so months and they're trying hard to make an effort to catch up.

I see people like this man all the time on Judge Judy. They're literally 7 and 8 mths behind on rent. One woman was more than a year behind. These are people that know the tenant/landlord laws in detail and they exploit it.

BUT at the same time, these people didn't just start doing this squatting overnight. Don't these landlords call previous landlords and see how that person was? He already had one huge red flag as a previous tenant.
    She had agreed to let a room to Pettigrew, who was a co-worker, in February after he was evicted because of an 'altercation with a neighbor.'

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    So sad.

I'll never understand why it's so hard for Landlords to evict somebody if they haven't paid rent in months? I can understand if a person is behind one or so months and they're trying hard to make an effort to catch up.

I see people like this man all the time on Judge Judy. They're literally 7 and 8 mths behind on rent. One woman was more than a year behind. These are people that know the tenant/landlord laws in detail and they exploit it.

BUT at the same time, these people didn't just start doing this squatting overnight. Don't these landlords call previous landlords and see how that person was? He already had one huge red flag as a previous tenant.
    I think many landlords will give bad tenants good references just to get rid of them, but yes, she definitely missed red flags since she knew the situation.

I am pretty liberal, but I do not see how not paying rent is any different from walking into a store and stealing something. Obviously if the landlord and tenant are working something out, that is different. But if even a month goes by and the tenant has made no attempt to pay rent, why would they be allowed to stay? I know a lot of people have this idea of the fat cat landlord that is loaded, but most landlords are average middle class people who have worked hard to buy a house or two and rent them out. If there is an issue with condition or something like that, the tenant can take it to court (not cost to tenants out here) but you can't just stop paying rent. A tenant paying rent is no different than say an employee at the bank skimming from your 401k. It's a long term investment, and landlords shouldn't be expected to do it for free. I pay my home mortgage, and don't expect the bank to give me a break, what's the difference?

California is super pro tenants compared to most other states. There are a ton of rules protecting them, above and beyond other states. I wonder if the judge had a particular law he was relying on, or just decided not to approve the eviction? I feel like he had to be able to see the potential consequences in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    This guy has a creepy, smile face. I bet you anything that he's a "smile talker". I never trust "smile talkers".

Lester Holt is a "smile talker"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I thought you could evict someone as long as you give them 30 days notice.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Lester Holt is a "smile talker"
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! I LOOOOVE LESTYYYY !
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

You give them notice then file for eviction (unlawful detainer) in court. Judge gives eviction date that the sheriff will come and put the tenants out. Can take months for it all to go through the court system.

I thought you could evict someone as long as you give them 30 days notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Schumidity85 View Post
    You give them notice then file for eviction (unlawful detainer) in court. Judge gives eviction date that the sheriff will come and put the tenants out. Can take months for it all to go through the court system.
    The tenant can also file all kinds of bogus claims to fight it. They probably won't be successful, but they can stall it for many months. I have heard of evictions that have taken well over a year. So on top of the landlord losing rent, they can rack of tens of thousands of legal bills fighting these bogus claims. Then potential tenants wonder why landlords are so picky when they are taking applications. We are looking for any red flag we can to try to protect ourselves from people like this.

Edited to add: in my state landlords can file a 3 day quit notice and start the (potential) eviction process the day after rent is due and not paid. If the tenant pays the full rent during this time it goes away, otherwise after 3 days of continued non-payment it can go to the courts. The process still takes a month or two, even if they don't fight it, but it's not as bad as some states that require months of non-payment and make it almost impossible to evict for any reason.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 05-18-2017 at 05:50 AM.

https://nbcpalmsprings.com/2019/11/1...ling-roommate/

A 53-year-old Cathedral City man who fatally beat his roommate three years ago was sentenced Friday to 25 years to life in prison.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-20-2022 at 08:17 AM.

Never saw this one. RBW is right, some locales have ridiculously liberal tenants rights. The insane landlord/tenant laws in Scotland and Spain are why we don't rent out our homes when we're not using them. Basically, landlords have no rights and once a tenant moves in, they can stay until THEY decide to move out, even if they don't pay. We've been burned by tenants twice, not gonna happen again. Nope, nope, nope.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

I had a nightmare landlord/roommate. When we first moved to the island, we rented a room from this lady. At first, she was quiet and kept to herself, but then she started acting really bizarre. She'd accuse us of stealing from her, she'd blast loud music, she'd let her dog defecate all over the living room, etc. My husband told her in May 2016 that we were going to look for our own place since he found a steady job. She took it to mean, we were putting in a three months notice. In August 2016, she started yelling at us to leave. I'm so glad we no longer live with crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Thread Information