Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Serial Killer H.H. Holmes' Body Exhumed: What We Know

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...id=mailsignout

Tests confirm gravesite of 1800s serial killer H.H. Holmes

Tests show that the remains in a suburban Philadelphia grave are indeed those of a 19th century serial killer, quelling rumors that he'd conned his way out of execution and escaped from prison.

A judge approved the exhumation of Dr. H.H. Holmes' grave earlier this year. Descendants requested it for a series called "American Ripper" on the History Channel. Part of the show looked at whether Holmes escaped, and scientists' findings were revealed in this week's final episode.

Holmes, the pseudonym of New Hampshire-born physician Herman Webster Mudgett, is believed to have killed an undetermined number people at his hotel of horrors during the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. It featured a bizarre labyrinth of windowless rooms, secret passageways, false floors, trapdoors and a vault. Most of the rooms had gas vents that were controlled from Mudgett's bedroom. Many of the rooms were soundproof and could only be locked from the outside.

But it was the murder of his business partner in Philadelphia that led to his conviction and hanging in 1896.

Holmes had left specific instructions for his burial. He was to be laid in a pine box and the box was then filled with cement, buried 10 feet (3.05 meters) in the ground and covered again with cement.

University of Pennsylvania anthropologist Samantha Cox, who did the forensic science on the exhumed remains, tells the NewsWorks online site that because of his unique burial requests, Holmes' body had not properly decomposed.

She said his clothes were almost perfectly preserved and his moustache was intact on his skull. But the corpse had decayed.

"It stank," Cox told the news site. "Once it gets to that point we can't do anything with it. We can't test it, can't get any DNA out of it." Holmes' teeth were used to identify him, she said.

WCAU-TV reports the remains were re-interred at Holy Cross Cemetery in Yeadon.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    He left an apology note? Ok he's crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    that's what makes him crazy? I thought it was the chips.

Odd, at the end of American Ripper they made it seem like it was DNA that proved it was him. I'm confused by the fact that they'd have found some sort of 125+ year old dental records to compare his teeth to.

I did think there was some compelling evidence he could actually have been Jack the Ripper. No one thing was extremely compelling on its own necessarily, but when you consider it all, it makes quite an interesting circumstantial case of it.

Quote Originally Posted by strozzapreti View Post
    Odd, at the end of American Ripper they made it seem like it was DNA that proved it was him. I'm confused by the fact that they'd have found some sort of 125+ year old dental records to compare his teeth to.

I did think there was some compelling evidence he could actually have been Jack the Ripper. No one thing was extremely compelling on its own necessarily, but when you consider it all, it makes quite an interesting circumstantial case of it.
    I haven't seen American Ripper, so I can't comment on that. I read it as they took DNA from the tooth and compared it to the DNA of the relative...but my reading comprehension seems to be poor here lately, so take that with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    He left an apology note? Ok he's crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    that's what makes him crazy? I thought it was the chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebelle View Post
    EEK!
    Catastrophe, I bet you tell the best ghost stories EVER.
    So I'm just now seeing this for the first time, my apologies...
    But actually, to be completely honest with you here; I really only have this 1 legitimate "ghost" story that I can tell, comes from a personal experience that happened one night at a now, basically abandoned cemetery. The local legend says that it's known/rumored to be haunted for many years, previously Native American burial ground.

Ended up having to run from the cops there too, one of the two times that I went... as the neighborhood folk watch for and call the cops on any trespassers they notice, that kind of thing.

Thread Information