Thread: Video linked to Serena McKay homicide needs to be pulled off Facebook, chief says

Video linked to Serena McKay homicide needs to be pulled off Facebook, chief says

The chief of Manitoba's Sagkeeng First Nation wants the video of a vicious attack on a young woman ? some say the same woman later found dead in the community ? pulled off Facebook.

The body of the woman believed to be the victim in the video, 19-year-old Serena McKay, was found Sunday night near a home in the community 100 kilometres northeast of Winnipeg.

The video is disturbing and its continued existence is extremely difficult for McKay's mom, who hasn't even seen her daughter's body yet, said Chief Derrick Henderson.

Live streaming crime: How do we police the internet?
    "I know the mom personally. It's very hard for her," he said, adding he hopes she will see her daughter on Wednesday and then funeral arrangements will be made.

"Today's going to be a tough day for her," he said.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police are investing whether the video is related to McKay's death.

"To me, the video is shocking, that someone can stand there and watch it and not assist," said Sgt. Paul Manaigre said.

Two teenage girls from the community have been charged with second-degree murder in McKay's death. The girls, aged 16 and 17, cannot be identified due to provisions in the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Both are being held in custody.

​All three went to Sagkeeng Anicinabe High School, but McKay lived in the neighbouring community of Powerview-Pine Falls.

The video of the assault, which has been shared many times on Facebook, shows a girl being beaten.

"I've asked Facebook and I've asked the major crimes unit to get that video removed, whatever it takes," Henderson said. "I mean that's part of the investigation again, right? It's evidence.

"It's pretty hard once it gets out there, I guess. But there must be some mechanism there available."

Facebook has told CBC it is investigating the video.

Those who film crimes without aiding a victim could be charged in Canada with being an accessory, but the act of posting such videos is not illegal, Manaigre said.

He added the video is being passed around via Facebook Messenger, which means it cannot be controlled by Facebook but only by those sharing it.

Henderson hopes the homicide sparks a conversation that starts to bring changes to Sagkeeng.

​"It's devastating for everybody. Even me, as a leader, it's so hard to stomach, but we have to continue and move forward and try to make it a better place for our people," he said.

"I'm not sure what the circumstances are of what happened but I know a lot of it can be related to lots of factors like addictions. I know that's an issue in my community, it's an issue everywhere, and we need to deal with those things."

Sagkeeng First Nation has most unsolved cases of missing or murdered Indigenous women
    Henderson also wants to see parents held more accountable for keeping an eye on their children.

"They need to be more responsible towards their children: 'Where are you? Why are you not home?' Things like that," he said. "Where's the moms and dads?"

Henderson plans to speak about those issues at a vigil for McKay planned for Thursday at 6 p.m. in Sagkeeng.

McKay was last seen by a family friend on Saturday evening and was reported missing to Powerview RCMP on Sunday.

As officers searched the area, they received a call two hours later ? around 8 p.m. ? that her body had been found.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...tack-1.4086169

Liveleak link here. It's disturbing, from what I hear. I won't watch it - https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=399_1493239130
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Holy shit. I put the video on and skimmed it.

I watched. What the fuck. How. How do these humans become so jaded that they can do this? Christ.

RIP young one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

How is that only second degree murder?
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...489925241.html

Three-year youth sentence for teen in beating death of Serena McKay

By: Katie May | Posted: 08/2/2018 7:00 PM | Comments: 19

Anger erupted in a Winnipeg courtroom Thursday, as a judge ruled a teenage girl who killed 19-year-old Serena McKay will serve a three-year youth sentence for manslaughter.

The teen, who will turn 18 on Sunday, is expected to spend two years in custody and another year on supervision in the community as she receives treatment for alcohol and drug abuse as part of her sentence.

It is the maximum youth sentence that can be imposed for manslaughter under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, the same legislation that prohibits publication of the accused's identity.

Provincial court Judge Lindy Choy's decision was met with rage from McKay's stepfather and a family friend, who shouted at the teen as she was ushered out of the courtroom and who swore at a group of court sheriffs who tried to defuse the confrontation.

"No justice!" Roland Mousseau yelled in the courtroom, where McKay's family and friends wore red T-shirts bearing her name. Moments later, after the family gathered in a prayer circle on the front steps of the courthouse, Mousseau said he questioned why the court deemed McKay's killers worthy of lower sentences because they were underage at the time of the attack.

"I'm very upset by the justice system," McKay's stepfather said.

The Crown had asked for a seven-year adult prison sentence for the teen, who was 16 when she and a 17-year-old girl drunkenly beat McKay after an April 2017 house party on Sagkeeng First Nation. The pair recorded the attack, and left a helpless McKay to freeze to death while they went back inside and boasted about the two-against-one fight.

The then-17-year-old co-accused sent videos of the beating to friends on social media, and copies ? showing McKay on the ground, her swollen and bloodied face being pummelled and stomped as the girl sentenced Thursday screamed "I don't want to f?-ing see her alive!" ? were posted online for the world to see.

The videos attracted international attention to the last moments of McKay's life, and, Choy said, to the "outstanding cruelty" the two teens inflicted on their high school classmate.

Steve Lambert</p><p>/ The Canadian Press</p><p>Roland Mousseau (left) and Delores Daniels (middle-right) speak to reporters after a youth was sentenced in the beating death of Daniels' daughter, Serena McKay, on the Sagkeeng First nation, in Winnipeg on Thursday, August 2, 2018. Mousseau, who was the victim's stepfather, erupted in court and shouted that the youth sentence given out Thursday was not nearly enough.
    Steve Lambert

"What could she have possibly said or done in the space of a few hours to warrant you beating her so badly?" Choy asked as she delivered her decision. "It's clear that you had no mercy."

But the judge said she gave "significant weight" to the opinion of a forensic psychiatrist who assessed the teen and found she was acting like an adolescent at the time of the attack, not like an adult.

"I find that as appalling and cruel as (her) actions were, she did not exhibit adult-like behaviour and judgment," Choy said.

The teen's older co-accused pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and received the maximum seven-year youth sentence for that charge.

The younger girl was blackout drunk when she started the beating, so she couldn't legally have had the intent to commit murder, Choy acknowledged.

"We didn't get what we deserved. My daughter didn't get what she deserved."
    - Delores Daniels, McKay's mother

She pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter, and her defence lawyers argued she should receive the maximum youth sentence rather than being imprisoned in an adult penitentiary. She was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and used drugs and alcohol to cope with being sexually assaulted more than once in her youth, court heard.

Because her co-accused was sentenced as a youth, it made sense the younger girl should serve a youth sentence as well, Choy said, noting unlike her co-accused, she spoke to a school counsellor about the beating the day after McKay's body was found and later turned herself in to RCMP.

The judge backtracked slightly after she announced her intention to impose two years of probation at the end of the teen's three-year sentence, only to be informed by Crown and defence lawyers the law doesn't allow for probation in cases such as this.

Crown prosecutor Jennifer Comack declined to comment Thursday when asked if the Crown would consider appealing Choy's decision.

McKay's family said they feel the justice system has failed them.

"We expected an adult sentence," McKay's mother, Delores Daniels, said outside court, flanked by her sons, Mousseau and other relatives. They'll remember McKay as a strong young woman who, just two months away from earning her high school diploma, was in the process of getting her education and bettering her life when she was killed, Daniels said.

"We didn't get what we deserved. My daughter didn't get what she deserved."

Serena McKay was watching in the courtroom when Choy sentenced her older brother, Alexander, for robbery, he recalled Thursday, questioning the judge's decision to impose a three-year sentence for the death of his sister.

"The last time I seen her was in the courtroom when I got sentenced. That was the last time I seen her," he said Thursday.

"It's important to me (to be here) because she's my little sister and I gotta be here to support her. You know, I missed out on so much these past years for being incarcerated and I just, I feel like I gotta make it up to her somehow for being away."

The penalty for taking a life Choy imposed Thursday seemed too similar to the one she imposed on him for crimes in which he didn't physically hurt anyone, he said.

Provincial court records show Choy sentenced him in October 2016 to 22.5 months less a day in jail, in addition to 7.5 months' credit for time in custody, for robbery and possession of a weapon.

"This doesn't make any sense to me," he said.

Quote Originally Posted by puke View Post
    How is that only second degree murder?
    That's my question. She says in the video "I don't wan to see her alive" which to me shows intent. She should be locked up for the rest of her life. Both of them.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

Thread Information