Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Caitlin Nelson (21) choked during a pancake-eating competition

Caitlin Nelson (21) choked during a pancake-eating competition

http://fairfield.dailyvoice.com/news...ontest/706024/

FAIRFIELD, Conn. ? The family of a Sacred Heart University student who choked during a pancake-eating contest on campus and later died will be donating her organs, the New York Post reports.

Caitlin Nelson, 21, of Clark, N.J., died Sunday, three days after the competition.

"We wish to extend our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Caitlin Nelson, in addition to the SHU community who have all been impacted by this tragic event," said Fairfield Police Lt. Bob Kalamaras.

He said the Fairfield Police Department is "awaiting further medical documentation to determine cause of death."

Nelson, who collapsed during the pancake-eating contest, also had food allergies.

Nelson was studying social work and was a member of Kappa Delta sorority and was taking part in a Greek Life event when she was stricken.

"She passed away ... and is now with her father, who was a victim of the 9-11 attacks," SHU President John J. Petillo said in an email to parents Sunday.

She taken to St. Vincent's Medical Center and later transferred to Columbia University Medical Center, where she died Sunday.

She was 5 when her father, James Nelson, 40, died in the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attack on the World Trade Center. A Port Authority police officer, he was evacuating people from the 27th-floor of the Twin Towers when it collapsed.

He had also rescued people after 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center bombing, braving the black smoke despite his asthma.

Caitlin Nelson and her sister, Anne, volunteered at the Resiliency Center in Newtown with survivors of the Sandy Hook School shooting as they struggled through their losses, according to TapInto.net.

?It?s about positive change. It?s about healing and helping. It?s about paying it forward," Caitlin Nelson told TapInto.net last year.
    http://mydeathspace.com/article/2017...ng_competition
    Last edited by Olivia; 04-03-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

I submitted this earlier today. Where she's from is local to me so it's been all over the news stuff here.
    Last edited by moosella; 04-03-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: can't spell

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    How tragic for her family. Poor girl.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    What a stunning Woman inside and out. So very sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

What a tragic life. She deserved better from the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by riofenix View Post
    What a tragic life. She deserved better from the universe.
    So sad no Heimlich maneuver was perform as an first aid procedure used to remove the airway obstruction

Such a sad story, her family must be reeling
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Wow, this isn't too far from me at all. Didn't hear anything about this. What a crap way to go.

Also, my condolences go out to her mother. I can't imagine losing her husband to 9/11 and then losing her daughter from something so inane and tragic. Caitlin was a certified mental health counselor and part of a nonprofit that counsels those affected by the Newtown school shooting. Seems like she was a very kind and giving human being. Such a shame. We need more of those in this world, not less.

RIP Caitlin
    Last edited by aphaziak; 04-04-2017 at 05:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    maybe when the check comes next time, just throw your dick on the table and be like "if you got the check, i got dessert"

So they are thinking maybe the food allergies contributed to her choking?
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    So sad no Heimlich maneuver was perform as an first aid procedure used to remove the airway obstruction

You have no idea what you're talking about. There were nursing students there who immediately tried to clear her airway, then the police tried, too ... INCLUDING THE HEIMLICH: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3017376

Please don't make things up just to hear yourself talk.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post

The link I posted above says they don't think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I'm wondering if she ate it so fast she aspirated it into her lungs? Some interesting info here about the different ways food eating competitions can damage your health:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertg.../#56fe39196526

Medical Concerns with Competitive Eating

The danger of overcoming the satiety reflex by training oneself to eat progressively larger amounts of food is permanent overstretching of the stomach--which may lead to chronic nausea, and vomiting requiring partial gastrectomy (removal of the stomach) in order to reduce symptoms, allowing one to eat normally again. With a chronically overstretched stomach, the risk of the stomach twisting upon itself--referred to as a gastric volvulus—is another potential concern.

Other potential emergencies include risk of choking, aspiration, or even asphyxiation--which could result in seizures, hypoxia and permanent brain damage. Add to this gastric perforation from overdistention of the stomach from unrecognized ulcers in the stomach or duodenum.

And the incredible amounts of water that are ingested during such contests in a short period of time can lead to hyponatremia(rapid drop in salt concentration in the bloodstream) and resultant seizures from so called “water intoxication.”
    maybe when the check comes next time, just throw your dick on the table and be like "if you got the check, i got dessert"

I remember years back one of our local radio stations (who I have always listened to) had a water drinking contest. One of the women died, and multiple people got fired. If I remember correctly, it was to win a wii.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I remember years back one of our local radio stations (who I have always listened to) had a water drinking contest. One of the women died, and multiple people got fired. If I remember correctly, it was to win a wii.
    I totally remember that one. Pretty sure that made the national news. Or maybe it was just on MDS? OD'ing on water is no joke tho, I drank too much once and I've never been sicker in my life. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by aphaziak View Post
    I totally remember that one. Pretty sure that made the national news. Or maybe it was just on MDS? OD'ing on water is no joke tho, I drank too much once and I've never been sicker in my life. Ugh.
    Happened to me once too when I was like 17. I was smoking pot and got thirsty. For some reason I thought to myself how I never drink eight classes of water and decided to try it. Ugh, I felt so awful but waited it out because I spwas scared of getting caught smoking pot. I only learned you could die from that long after.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by aphaziak View Post
    Probably both! Not sure if there was a thread on here but I remember it being mentioned.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    You have no idea what you're talking about. There were nursing students there who immediately tried to clear her airway, then the police tried, too ... INCLUDING THE HEIMLICH: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3017376

The link I posted above says they don't think so.
    So Sorry Honey I only read the posted article .
    Everything I hear and read about eating contest I always think how gluttony is a sin
    and one that should be discussed more in churches. Overeating is idolatry and it is very dangerous to the body and soul

Philippians 3:19

They are doomed and their fate is eternal misery (perdition); their god is their stomach (their appetites, their sensuality) and they glory in their shame, siding with earthly things and being of their party.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Quote Originally Posted by strmmrgrrl View Post
    This.

[QUOTE=TupeloHoney;3728609]You have no idea what you're talking about. There were nursing students there who immediately tried to clear her airway, then the police tried, too ... INCLUDING THE HEIMLICH: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3017376

Wow! Bit nasty. You could have said the same thing in a nicer way - good manners cost nothing you know.

Someone wrote on the MDS fb that there was cinnamon in the batter and she was allergic and had no epi-pen. Can't find an article for that though.

[QUOTE=Lin888;3728647]
    Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post

Wow! Bit nasty. You could have said the same thing in a nicer way - good manners cost nothing you know.

You don't know wth you're talking about, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Someone wrote on the MDS fb that there was cinnamon in the batter and she was allergic and had no epi-pen. Can't find an article for that though.
    This makes the most sense to me, that she went into anaphylactic shock.

[QUOTE=TupeloHoney;3728670]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin888 View Post

You don't know wth you're talking about, either.
    obviously they don't know laz like we do.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    "Hold Your Wee for A Wii"

But I can't remember half of the contacts in my phone.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    "Hold Your Wee for A Wii"

But I can't remember half of the contacts in my phone.
    Yep that was it!

And I am not much of a donut eater, but don't a lot of donuts have cinnamon? I mean, if you are allergic to cinnamon, and decided to enter a donut eating contest, wouldn't you check to make sure of the ingredients? Guess it is possible she did and was told it was fine...but it wasn't.

Also, if an allergic reaction caused her throat to close up, I can see her choking on food she was trying to swallow.

Thread Information