Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unclaimed People

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    So are they cremated or frozen? I can see how a very poor family might hesitate to claim an intact body if they can't pay for a funeral on top of the fee. Which sucks, but not as much as the idea of just not caring. Also many of them died long before GFM. If they're older, they probably have no idea it exists.

I wish I could claim them all and have their ashes scattered somewhere beautiful.

That may be the creepiest thing I've ever said.
    You didn't say you'd eat them or inhale them. 2/10 not creepy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    The article stated she was pregnant at the time.

It is also noteworthy to mention he has a tattoo on his chest reading "Only God Can Judge Me". Sounds like Lazarus.
    Nah his reads " Only God Can Judge ME, But I Will Judge You ... & You ... & YOU"

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    You guys can't find out who this lady is either? I'm going to have to go to Websleuths... ::eyeroll:: I'm going to Chicago soon, I don't have the guts to go any where near that address. This is really bothering me, and I don't know why.

So are they cremated or frozen? I can see how a very poor family might hesitate to claim an intact body if they can't pay for a funeral on top of the fee. Which sucks, but not as much as the idea of just not caring. Also many of them died long before GFM. If they're older, they probably have no idea it exists.

I wish I could claim them all and have their ashes scattered somewhere beautiful.

The hospital I used to work at would keep unclaimed bodies for quite awhile. After exhausting contacting all next of kin, they would have to apply for guardianship or a Power of Attorney type thing in order to cremate the remains. What they did with the cremains after that, I don't know. I'm guessing the funeral home has a way of disposing of them in a respectful manner.

I remember having to make a notification of death call on one of our patients who ended up being unclaimed. The family member freaked the fuck out, hung up on me, and would not answer any of our calls for months after that. I assume given his reaction, it may have been too much for him to handle, emotionally, to claim the body and deal with all that comes after that. It didn't help that they were refugees that hadn't been in the States for only a few years, so they likely had no idea what they were supposed to do.

Our culture in general is so far removed from the whole death and dying process. I wouldn't be surprised if bodies go unclaimed because the next of kin don't understand what the process is and are to embarrassed to ask. I could totally see someone thinking "I don't have a truck..." when approached with claiming. Also, depending on a person's views of death, disposing of the body may not be important to them. It seems a little weird, but I get it. However, I do think majority of the unclaimed with surviving family is purely financial.

Jon Shupe - died 22 Feb 2017. Unclaimed as per this page - https://www.cookcountyil.gov/service/unclaimed-persons

https://www.facebook.com/jon.shupe.7?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...687518&fref=ts

Jon Shupe of south suburban Calumet City was fatally shot during an argument Wednesday night in the Morgan Park neighborhood on the Far South Side.

Shupe, 31, was arguing with another person about 8:35 p.m. in the 11400 block of South Ada, according to Chicago Police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.

The other person pulled a gun and shot him in the head and back, authorities said. Shupe was pronounced dead at the scene at 9 p.m.

A person of interest was being questioned in connection with the shooting, but no charges had been filed as of Friday morning as Area South detectives investigate.

http://homicides.suntimes.com/2017/0...n-morgan-park/

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    Did you see the fetus? I stopped reading at that one. This is a real mystery. Not one police report or anything. Chicago makes me angry at times.

I have a cousin who went missing, I always wonder if I will run into him...err his remains.
    Who is your cousin?

Chelcy Woods/Dearman - she is down in Claimus as Chelcy Dearman but some articles say Woods. Only died 21 March but is still on the unclaimed site?

https://www.facebook.com/showgirlfang420

https://www.facebook.com/chelcy.woods

https://www.facebook.com/chelcy.woods.1?ref=br_rs

Police have released the name of a woman who died Tuesday in a travel trailer fire in north Tulsa.

Police identified the woman as Chelcy Dearman, 31, also known as Chelcy Woods, according to a news release from Officer Leland Ashley.

Firefighters responded to the fire about 3:30 a.m. in the 800 block of North St. Louis Avenue, according to a previous story. Tulsa Fire Capt. Stan May said Friday that the fire is still under investigation.

The fire caused significant damage to the trailer, which had been parked in a residential yard. The trailer reportedly had no electricity, and the owner had not authorized anyone to be in it, May said previously.

The owner of the trailer told investigators that she had to remove a homeless couple from the trailer weeks before the fire.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagela...3209b561a.html

https://www.claimus.org/cases/3240

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    Reading this thread lead me to this website. https://datacatalog.cookcountyil.gov/widgets/y8dh-5w5c I clicked the first person and wondered why, and how in this day and age a person could go unidentified. I found a name, Stephanie Taylor, but that's it. Nothing. Not a single thing. I'm not good at this, so I reached out to Peace via Facebook, and she's better at this than I, and guess what she found? Nothing! So, I'm reaching out to you guys, because I feel sorry for this poor woman. Now that I think about it, maybe it wasn't her home. Why wouldn't she have any type of indenfacation in her apartment? Also, they have a sketch, and not a photo which is what some of the other people have, so I'm thinking that she was there for a while. I havne't been in Chicago for years, but last I heard the neighborhood wasn't the best (7146 S. Lowe), but I think that someone would notice a person missing. Or maybe not, we've read about it a lot. I don't know this lady, obviously, but I would love to help her family at least know that she's no longer on this earth. At least allow them the option to start a gofundme for whatever disease she died from....
    Yeah, we had no luck with this one. I just don't understand how people can die and NOBODY seems to care. So fucking sad.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar

In Los Angeles they cremate them and store them for 3 years giving families time to claim them. I believe it's $300 to claim them.

Every year I attend the burial for all of the unclaimed. Most are homeless. The number of people buried ranges from 1200 to 1600 every year. It always takes place the first week of December and includes those that died 3 years previous. Its actually a very beautiful service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Long-time lurker, recent poster here.
    My cousin was killed in an auto accident in Las Vegas. His family in WI couldn't afford to send the body home. It was heartbreaking.
    Pre-social media and crowd funding days.
    My Aunt had to have him cremated in the communal one that includes others, it's less expensive and the ashes are not retrieved since they are from multiple bodies when they do it that way.
    I was fairly young at the time but I do remember it was a long process.
    This was my psycho step-mom's side of the family and we don't communicate to this day. I'm curious to know if it has changed since the mid-90's.
    It is sad that these things are a reality. I'm also not sure why the family set up a go-fund-me and didn't mention the plan to retrieve the body. Odd

Quote Originally Posted by zombiemoon View Post
    Long-time lurker, recent poster here.
    My cousin was killed in an auto accident in Las Vegas. His family in WI couldn't afford to send the body home. It was heartbreaking.
    Pre-social media and crowd funding days.
    My Aunt had to have him cremated in the communal one that includes others, it's less expensive and the ashes are not retrieved since they are from multiple bodies when they do it that way.
    I was fairly young at the time but I do remember it was a long process.
    This was my psycho step-mom's side of the family and we don't communicate to this day. I'm curious to know if it has changed since the mid-90's.
    It is sad that these things are a reality. I'm also not sure why the family set up a go-fund-me and didn't mention the plan to retrieve the body. Odd
    How sad. People who actually DO gaf but can't afford to. I'm sorry about your cousin & your aunt.
    Also- GREETINGS!

Interesting
    Attached Images Attached Images

This reminded me of an article about New York's mass graves and how people end up buried there. Interesting and sad and infuriating all at the same time. It does give some perspective on what can happen to unclaimed people.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...land.html?_r=0

Long time lurker, by the way. Jodi Arias and that poor girl Morgan's looney tunes mother got me through the last bit of a rough pregnancy. I don't usually join forums but you guys seem way less nuts yet more entertaining than some other places.

Are you kidding me? sorry that link leads to some shopping thing - but you can click through to the article. I guess they're trying to get ad income somehow but that's just sneaky.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMouse View Post
    This reminded me of an article about New York's mass graves and how people end up buried there. Interesting and sad and infuriating all at the same time. It does give some perspective on what can happen to unclaimed people.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...land.html?_r=0

Long time lurker, by the way. Jodi Arias and that poor girl Morgan's looney tunes mother got me through the last bit of a rough pregnancy. I don't usually join forums but you guys seem way less nuts yet more entertaining than some other places.
    Welcome Zoe!
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMouse View Post
    Are you kidding me? sorry that link leads to some shopping thing - but you can click through to the article. I guess they're trying to get ad income somehow but that's just sneaky.
    Not sure why your link is corrupted but I think this is what you were trying to post?

ETA - tried to post it and my link corrupted too. Hmm

https://nyti.ms/2k55I4P - lets see if this works

Yes - that's the article. Thanks for fixing it - not sure what was going on.

Thanks for the welcome!

Hi Zoe - welcome!

Olivia - each time you bring up this subject, I can't stop thinking about it. It haunts me but not in a creepy way.
    Not sure if that makes sense :/ Gonna check out the article!

They announced her funeral for April 29, so I'm wondering why she's unclaimed still. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Bowhay, Lynette Danae
    7 November 1995 - 14 March 2014
    Lynette Danae Bowhay was battling a genetic disease, Ehler's-Danlos Syndrome (EDS), which would be life-long and wrecked havoc on her mind and body. Lynette's physical and emotional pain was too intense, she was a brilliant, beautiful girl, and too young to accept her fate. Lynette died peacefully, with dignity and grace.
    Back in November 2012, I received my own diagnosis for Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, after I sought out and put in a referral for my own self, to go see a geneticist and have a consultation. I have since learned a great deal about the this debilitating condition, specifically with the hypermobility type (III). The Ehlers-Danlos Syndromes/spectrum is one seriously MASSIVE range of all sorts of different issues, symptoms and comobidities that can also occur along with it, and all these symptoms of which can also vary within their own individual severeness. EDS can oftenly be difficult to pinpoint and identify that/when somebody may be suffering from this condition... simply because said person-not-knowing they are dealing with it, may only suffer from migraines and habitual subluxations, and never seek 'treatment' for either of these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by wondery View Post
    With Lynette - she was rather young to have an ED diagnosis. Perhaps her body was to be donated to research and no one followed through?
    When I participated in a genetic research study, I was given the option to make arrangements for the study to have my body after death. I didn't select that option so I'm not sure what it entailed.
    Two hypothetical thoughts on this; first one being, because of the mention that Lynette was battling EDS, for probably like most others, essentially her whole life... she may have accrued an exorbitant amount of medical debt/bills that went unpaid. I could see how some next of kin may possibly be reluctant to claim a body with what they saw as essentially an enormous price tag attached.

Second thought on this being, since I have noticed some interest in this idea amongst the various internet-EDS support groups that I frequent...
    she could voiced to her family or friends that she wanted or planned to donate her body to medical science for study after death; basically this then serves as a way to 'cover the cost of your own funeral' by eliminating having one altogether.

So while I realize this scenario is probably, seriously much less likely, if at all the real, reality of the situation; I figured I'd only bring it up because it could have been one little thing that caused this confusion amongst the family, only for them to never truly find out that Lynette actually made no plans or organ/body donation, thereby nothing had ever been set in place for her in the event of her death.

I also notice the obit reads like she may have eventually decided to take her own life; so I'm acknowledging here I could totallyyy be wrong about any of these speculations/assumptions... with the exception of the EDS information and what not, I'm damn near an expert in that field by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Rivers View Post
    They announced her funeral for April 29, so I'm wondering why she's unclaimed still. :(
    Who is this in relation to?

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    The article stated she was pregnant at the time.

It is also noteworthy to mention he has a tattoo on his chest reading "Only God Can Judge Me". Sounds like Lazarus.
    Apparently her mother is alive... Can't imagine not claiming your only child no matter what the cost. So sad.
    ?
    The victim in this case is my only daughter. I pray that anyone with the smallest amount of information comes forward. Remember "there but for the grace of God go i" this could have been your child. Policarpio is a father of two but still didn't have enough sympathy in his heart to remember what this would do to those who loved Lauren. I will do whatever it takes to see this horrible man brought to justice and i will be in court to see him convicted.

? Jerilyn olguin
    April 30, 2016 at 8:42 p.m.

Alming Dakers - died 14 January 2017

http://mec.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/m...Num=2017-00416

https://www.facebook.com/almingjason.dakers

People posting about his memorial service etc. Listed as unclaimed.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar

He was homeless at the time of his death. I'm not quite sure why his family isn't claiming him. It only costs $300 to pick up the ashes.

I'll be at his funeral 3 years from now
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

His FB page would make a good PSA announcement for teens. A don't' start drugs one. His family obviously loved him, enough to be brutally honest about his life.

Thread Information