Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: True crime writer Michelle McNamara (46) passed away suddenly

True crime writer Michelle McNamara (46) passed away suddenly

I thought we already had a thread but I can't find it. Still no COD released.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...er-wife-887104

Michelle McNamara, a crime writer and wife of comedian and actor Patton Oswalt, has died at her home in Los Angeles, according to Oswalt's publicist. McNamara was 46.

Kevin McLaughlin of Main Stage Public Relations said Friday that McNamara died in her sleep Thursday. No cause was given.

McNamara graduated from the University of Notre Dame and received a master's degree in creative writing from the University of Minnesota. She founded the website True Crime Diary, which covers both breaking stories and cold cases.

In a 2007 online interview, McNamara said she started the blog almost as a lark. "I wanted to get more involved in the cases that were fueling my own curiosity," she said.

READ MORE Hollywood Remembers Michelle McNamara: Elijah Wood, Margaret Cho React
    She didn't focus on the big celebrity murder cases but ones that were smaller and out of the public eye. She wrote about the Golden State Killer and the 1976 murder of nurse Melanie Howell.

"It's the ones that really don't get that much attention that interest me because I think what's interesting about them is there's more stuff to be unearthed that hasn't been in the public yet and you can do it."

Oswalt is a comedian whose TV credits include Veep, Agents of SHIELD and The King of Queens, and films including Magnolia, Starsky & Hutch and Ratatouille. McNamara and Oswalt married in 2005.

Besides her husband, McNamara is survived by 7-year-old daughter Alice.

Patton just put this on FB -

Thanks, grief.
    Thanks for making depression look like the buzzing little bully it always was. Depression is the tallest kid in the 4th grade, dinging rubber bands off the back of your head and feeling safe on the playground, knowing that no teacher is coming to help you.
    But grief? Grief is Jason Statham holding that 4th grade bully's head in a toilet and then fucking the teacher you've got a crush on in front of the class. Grief makes depression cower behind you and apologize for being such a dick.
    If you spend 102 days completely focused on ONE thing you can achieve miracles. Make a film, write a novel, get MMA ripped, kick heroin, learn a language, travel around the world. Fall in love with someone. Get 'em to love you back.
    But 102 days at the mercy of grief and loss feels like 102 years and you have shit to show for it. You will not be physically healthier. You will not feel "wiser." You will not have "closure." You will not have "perspective" or "resilience" or "a new sense of self." You WILL have solid knowledge of fear, exhaustion and a new appreciation for the randomness and horror of the universe. And you'll also realize that 102 days is nothing but a warm-up for things to come.
    And...
    You will have been shown new levels of humanity and grace and intelligence by your family and friends. They will show up for you, physically and emotionally, in ways which make you take careful note, and say to yourself, "Make sure to try to do that for someone else someday." Complete strangers will send you genuinely touching messages on Facebook and Twitter, or will somehow figure out your address to send you letters which you'll keep and re-read 'cause you can't believe how helpful they are. And, if you're a parent? You'll wish you were your kid's age, because the way they embrace despair and joy are at a purer level that you're going to have to reconnect with, to reach backwards through years of calcified cynicism and ironic detachment.
    Lose your cool, and you're saved.
    Michelle McNamara got yanked off the planet and out of life 102 days ago. She left behind an amazing unfinished book, about a horrific series of murders that everyone -- including the retired homicide detectives she worked with -- was sure she'd solve. The Golden State Killer. She gave him that name, in an article for Los Angeles Magazine. She was going to figure out the real name behind it.
    She left Alice, her 7 year-old daughter. But not before putting the best parts of her into Alice, like beautiful music burned onto a CD and sent out into the void on a spaceship.
    And she left me. 102 days into this.
    I was face-down and frozen for weeks. It's 102 days later and I can confidently say I have reached a point where I'm crawling. Which, objectively, is an improvement. Maybe 102 days later I'll be walking.
    Any spare energy I've managed to summon since April 21st I've put toward finishing Michelle's book. With a lot of help from some very amazing people. It will come out. I will let you know. It's all her. We're just taking what's there and letting it tell us how to shape it. It's amazing.
    And I'm going to start telling jokes again soon. And writing. And acting in stuff and making things I like and working with friends on projects and do all the stuff I was always so privileged to get to do before the air caught fire around me and the sun died. It's all I knew how to do before I met Michelle. I don't know what else I'm supposed to do now without her.
    And not because, "It's what Michelle would have wanted me to do." For me to even presume to know what Michelle would have wanted me to do is the height of arrogance on my part. That was one of the many reasons I so looked forward to growing old with her. Because she was always surprising me. Because I never knew what she'd think or what direction she'd go.
    Okay, I'll start being funny again soon. What other choice do I have? Reality is in a death spiral and we seem to be living in a cackling, looming nightmare-swamp. We're all being dragged into a shadow-realm of doom by hateful lunatics who are determined to send our planet careening into oblivion.
    Hey, there's that smile I was missing!

I love what he has written. It is refreshingly to read someone express themselves with such raw honestly. Reality.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Geeze. You completely feel him there. It's so bizarre to see him in that light. It's an expected light, but a strange one for him since I'm so used to him being jovial and comedic.

He's truly an amazing writer as well. Sucked me in and made me relate. Poor guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    This was, Mr. Oswalt said, the second worst day of his life: The worst is when I told my daughter the next day.
    This really got to me.

I don't know how long it takes for toxocology tests to come back, but I think they would be back by now.

I don't think the Xanax was mentioned before. I would question whether or not she was taking any other medications.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I wonder if she was partial to xanax. Maybe she was so exhausted that she took a few more to sleep for ages. God, so sad. Also, good for him for being open.

Their daughter is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I wonder if she was partial to xanax. Maybe she was so exhausted that she took a few more to sleep for ages. God, so sad. Also, good for him for being open.
    I was thinking if she was snoring, it's possible she could have a sleep disorder that was complicated by the Xanax.

Her daughter looks just like her how terrible for her lose her mom so suddenly.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I've been a fan of Patton's stand up for years and really look forward to something new coming out from him. You can really chart such a range of human emotion through his specials. Single guy, gets a girlfriend, falls WAY in love, has a happy marriage, has a kid, and now this. Each time he's has a special it's been that next chapter in him life and I'm curious as to how the show will go on for him in light of this. I remember being so crushed for him and his family when I'd heard she had passed cause you really came to feel like you witness their whole relationship grow over time if you listened to his standup.

I found her LA ME entry - still not updated

http://mec.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/m...Num=2016-03054

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    If his daughter weren't in the picture, I'd be really worried about this guy. Anyone else?
    Last edited by Ron_NYC; 01-30-2017 at 03:38 AM. Reason: phone typos
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Is his daughter went I'm the picture, I'd be really worried about this guy. Anyone else?
    What?

"If his daughter wasn't in the picture " -??

What?
    Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by catastrophe View Post
    "If his daughter wasn't in the picture " -??
    Close.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Patton recently had to defend himself on Twitter against a Trump troll that brought Michelle into the conversation.
    Fucking ridiculous.
    He seems to be doing better though.

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Oops.

Close.
    "If it wasn't his Daughter in the picture, I'd be really worried about this guy"

I speak fluent "Ron"
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I get it, but that is his daughter and she has been through so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    "If it wasn't his Daughter in the picture, I'd be really worried about this guy"

I speak fluent "Ron"
    I talk normal, damn it!

I talk normal, damn it!

I talk normal, damn it!

I thought you were trying to say that if his daughter wasn't in the picture (you know, metaphorically speaking), you would worry about Patton suiciding from grief.

Whoops
    [quote author=thanatos link=topic=5272.msg211093#msg211093 date=1172939327]<br />Thank you! Good Karma for you! I&#39;m sick of everyone using &quot;bi-polar&quot; as an excuse for violent behavior. Pet peeve here. :2angry:<br />[/quote][quote author=Olivia link=topic=5272.msg

Manner: ACCIDENT
    Cause A:
    EFFECTS OF MULTIPLE DRUGS

I want more info!

Also heart disease

Other Significant Causes:
    ATHEROSCLEROTIC CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE

Found this

The blockages, combined with her taking the medications Adderall, Xanax and the pain medication fentanyl, caused his wife's death in April 2016, Oswalt said in the statement sent via his publicist.
    Read more at http://www.accesshollywood.com/artic...iS1WBUFjo7K.99

Found this

The blockages, combined with her taking the medications Adderall, Xanax and the pain medication fentanyl, caused his wife's death in April 2016, Oswalt said in the statement sent via his publicist.
    Read more at http://www.accesshollywood.com/artic...iS1WBUFjo7K.99
    Is it usual for doctors to prescribe both uppers (Adderall) and downers (Xanax) to patients?
    Adderall is known to cause insomnia, while Xanax is known to knock a person out.
    One of the number one reason listed for not taking the medication is if you have any type of heart issue. Considering one of her causes of death was ATHEROSCLEROTIC CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE, just seems strange. IDK.
    https://www.drugs.com/adderall.html

Unless she was getting them illegally.

(FYI- I saw her on, I think, A crime to remember. At the end of the show they had a nice RIP for her)

I wonder what she was taking fentanyl for.

Thread Information