Thread: Robert Baron (58) missing from Old Forge, PA since 1/25/17

Robert Baron (58) missing from Old Forge, PA since 1/25/17

http://wnep.com/2017/01/27/restauran...ed-as-missing/

A longtime business owner in Old Forge has vanished and police believe he may be in danger.

Their investigation is focused on his family's restaurant that's been in business for decades.

Ghigiarelli's is one of the famous Old Forge pizza restaurants. It would normally be busy on a Friday night, but it's been closed since Thursday. Police say its owner, Robert Baron, was last seen Wednesday night.

There are flowers at the front door of Ghigiarelli's on Main Street in Old Forge and a handwritten sign telling customers that the pizza place is closed for business.

Its owner, Robert Baron, has been missing since Wednesday night. Police say he was last seen dropping his son off at his apartment in the borough.

The investigation seems centered inside the family restaurant. Neighbors say police were there for much of the day Thursday and they were back Friday. Detectives were seen carrying out something that looked like a laptop.

All this has led some to believe Robert Baron may be more than just missing.

"I will say that, in conjunction with the Pennsylvania State Police, we did conduct an investigation looking for potential evidence, again, right now, it's a missing persons case," said Lackawanna County District Attorney Shane Scanlon.

Lackawanna County's D.A. and the chief of police in Old Forge showed us the car Baron was known to be driving -- a 2006 Hyundai Elantra.

"What I would like to say is at this point in time, we don't have any evidence of him being dead. We certainly have not found a body or a deceased person. We are asking that if anyone out in the public has any information or has seen Mr. Baron going back to Tuesday to please give the Lackawanna County Communications Center a call," said Scanlon.

Baron's friends and neighbors of the business say a disappearance is out of character for the father of three who left an impression on other Old Forge business owners.

"The best, the best neighbor you want to meet, always good to us," said Linda Tomlinson of Tomlinson Floral and Gift. "When he moved in, he sent over a couple trays of pizza to greet us, and just so nice. We'd meet him in the back yard and he's just so friendly, nice conversation. We're hoping for the best."

Investigators wouldn't elaborate on any evidence they may have found but told Newswatch 16 given the amount of time he's been gone, they believe Baron may be in danger.

http://wnep.com/2017/01/28/family-of...g-5000-reward/

Family of Missing Old Forge Man Offering $5,000 Reward

The family of a missing man in Lackawanna County is offering a reward for information on his location.

It’s been over 72 hours since Robert Baron, 58, of Old Forge disappeared.

Police say he was last seen Wednesday night dropping his son off at an apartment in the borough.

Baron’s car, a silver 2006 Hyundai Elantra with PA registration JZG-3412 and a “Trump/Pence” sticker on the front, was also registered missing.

Baron is the owner of Ghigiarelli’s, a restaurant on Main Street in Old Forge.

According to the family’s attorney, they are offering a $5,000 reward for any information that can help locate him.

Anyone with information can call Old Forge police at 570-457-7441 or the Lackawanna County Communications Center at 570-342-9111.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Not sounding good for him.

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/pol...-man-1.2148347

Police find tooth, bloody blanket in restaurant of missing man

Investigators recovered a tooth and an afghan with blood at an Old Forge restaurant owned by a man who disappeared last week, a court document says.

The items were among the evidence seized when police searched Ghigiarelli’s, 511 S. Main St., on Thursday, the same day owner Robert Baron, 58, was reported missing, according to the search warrant return.

A separate document filed Sunday indicates Mr. Baron, who was last seen Wednesday around 11 p.m., may have been attacked in the restaurant.

On Sunday, police found Mr. Baron’s Hyundai on the 100 block of Howard Street, according to the paperwork filed to search the vehicle. Mud covered the undercarriage and the tires. There were suspect blood stains on the interior.

In the restaurant, police found evidence of a possible attack after using luminol, a chemical used to find traces of blood, the search warrant application said. Police believe that the perpetrators of the possible attack tried to clean up the crime scene with household cleaners.

More than 100 people gathered today to search the borough. Friends and family members met at Ray’s Market for a search party to hunt for clues in businessman’s disappearance.

First Assistant District Attorney Gene Riccardo has urged anyone with information to contact borough police, who are seeking any surveillance footage captured in the borough between 10 p.m. Wednesday and 9 a.m. Thursday.

An employee at the pizza shop interviewed last week told police that Mr. Baron had been receiving multiple calls to the business land line. The calls prompted Mr. Baron to tell the employee, “Don’t answer the phone anymore.”

When I first read this I thought it might be he owed someone money and/or he was involved with the mob in same way. That was until I saw he drove a Hyundai. However, it now sounds like it might have been something like that, as the Hyundai was found with mud on its tires, his tooth and blood were found. He owed someone money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    When I first read this I thought it might be he owed someone money and/or he was involved with the mob in same way. That was until I saw he drove a Hyundai. However, it now sounds like it might have been something like that, as the Hyundai was found with mud on its tires, his tooth and blood were found. He owed someone money.
    It has to be somebody that knew him. Somebody close. Why else would they take the time to try and clean up the scene?

In the restaurant, police found evidence of a possible attack after using luminol, a chemical used to find traces of blood, the search warrant application said. Police believe that the perpetrators of the possible attack tried to clean up the crime scene with household cleaners.

http://wnep.com/2017/01/31/authoriti...man-continues/

Authorities Urge Caution as Search for Missing Man Continues

The search for a missing pizzeria owner continued into another day while investigators kept mum on the investigation. Friends of Robert Baron--even Old Forge's mayor--asked people to stop speculating and start searching.

Investigators are still collecting and testing evidence found inside Robert Baron's pizza shop, Ghigiarelli's, and the car Baron had been driving.

While folks in Old Forge wait for answers, many of them are taking the investigation into their own hands and trying to find him.

Old Forge Mayor Robert Mulkerin says many in the borough are behind computer screens trying to find businessman Robert Baron.

"Unfortunately, people do fill in the blanks with their own speculation," the mayor said. "The rumor goes wild, social media perpetuates that. You know, people just need to be mindful and respectful of what they post, and rumors."

Mayor Mulkerin joined about a dozen searchers in the snow leading their own effort to find Baron who was last seen Wednesday night. The information that has been released about his disappearance indicates Baron may have been attacked before he went missing.

"There are a lot of things that are second and third person, rumor mill, not even acknowledge half of it because people talk, so, you just got to brush it off and go with your own gut feeling and know that something happened to this man, whatever it was, let the cops deal with that and help give the family some comfort," said Jennifer Smith of Moscow.

Smith is not from Old Forge and doesn't know the Baron family but felt compelled to join the group scouring streets in the borough for clues.

"You got to think about it, if it was your father, your mother, your sister, your brother, if you were in that position, you would want anybody and everybody helping you, so I'm here."

The group looked around corners, in dumpsters, and through an old industrial site for anything that could point to Baron.

The searchers found a jacket and then a pair of pants. Family friend Jason Thomas said the clothes don't look like anything Baron would wear, but anything could help.

"There's a lot of rumors, a hundred different stories, a hundred different speculations, fingers are being pointed in a hundred different directions. Until there's proof of anything, I think everybody should keep the rumors to themselves. Especially, stay off social media. The family is looking at this, and it's not good."

Officers continued to search the car that Robert Baron had been driving.

Evidence found inside Ghigiarelli's, including blood and a tooth, have been sent to a lab for testing. Those results could take weeks.

Hm, wonder what is being said.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Hm, wonder what is being said.
    Either some type of mob-like hit (he owed money to somebody), an employee, or the son did it. (that's the local rumors I read)

Some updates
    An employee of the restaurant has also told police that before going missing Baron received multiple phone calls on the restaurant land line which prompted Baron to tell the worker "Don't answer the phone anymore".
    http://www.pahomepage.com/news/new-i...aron/647166501

It really sounds like Robert returned to the shop after he *supposedly* dropped his son off.
    Robert Baron was reported missing on Jan. 26 by his son, Bobby Baron, 30. Robert Baron's wife, Maria Baron, told investigators that her husband was last seen on Jan. 25 around 11 p.m. dropping their son off at his home.

The younger Baron, a partner in the family business, told police his father was supposed to pick him up for work the morning of Jan. 26. He texted his father around 7:40 a.m. to tell him he was ready to go, and after he didn't get a response, Bobby Baron walked to the restaurant and found the dough delivery was left on the sidewalk, which he called "extremely unusual." Bobby Baron went inside and found his father not there and items out of place, so he called the police.

The use of luminol, a chemical that detects blood stains, "which uncovered evidence that a possible attack occurred and was attempted to be cleaned by the perpetrators ... with household cleaners left at the scene."

Maria Baron said she went to the restaurant around 9 a.m. on Jan. 26 looking for her husband -- but he wasn't there and his car was missing. She told investigators they have an apartment above the restaurant, where her husband stays occasionally. She checked the apartment and saw a comforter from the bed was missing, "and she found an afghan in the bar area of the restaurant which she indicated was very odd."

Bobby Baron told police his father's cell phone was left in the kitchen, which he called unusual.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/pa-restaura...ry?id=45190613

I was wondering about the son, since he was the last person who supposedly saw him.

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/blo...wner-1.2150141

Investigators found blood in four locations and recovered fingerprints from door handles during a search of missing Old Forge restaurant owner Robert Baron’s car, a newly released court document shows.

As the investigation of the businessman’s disappearance entered its second week Thursday, dozens of law enforcement officers made a grid search of the wooded area between Pagnotti Park in the borough and Campbell’s Ledge in Duryea, systematically covering ground previously searched during the hunt for the missing man.

Mr. Baron, 58, owner of Ghigiarelli’s on South Main Street, was last seen Jan. 25 about 11 p.m. His son, 30-year-old Bobby Baron, reported him missing the following morning after he did not respond to a text message, and the son discovered he was not at the pizzeria or an upstairs apartment.

The businessman’s silver Hyundai Elantra sedan, which police believe he was driving the night he vanished, was found parked Sunday in the 100 block of Howard Street.

According to the search warrant inventory receipt filed by officers who searched the car later Sunday, traces of blood were found in three interior areas: on the passenger’s side front door, on the door frame near the front passenger seat and on a piece of newspaper on the floor in front of the seat.

There was also blood on the exterior of the rear driver’s side door, police said.

Investigators found latent fingerprints on five door handles and collected soil samples from both sides of the vehicle.

Police previously said the vehicle’s tires and undercarriage had “excessive mud” when it was found on Howard Street, and the samples could provide clues about the car’s whereabouts before its recovery.

Lackawanna County District Attorney Shane Scanlon said the search for Mr. Baron has been intense from the outset, with several law enforcement agencies, search and rescue teams and volunteers scouring Old Forge and the surrounding communities,

They have searched by foot, by air and have had the keen noses of police dogs look for clues, he said.

“Law enforcement to date has searched numerous residences, canvassed entire neighborhoods, interviewed dozens of people, reviewed hours and hours of video surveillance,” Mr. Scanlon said.

Investigators have suggested Mr. Baron may have been assaulted inside his restaurant, where a search last week uncovered blood, a tooth and signs of a hasty cleanup.

That evidence, along with the blood, mud and fingerprints recovered from the Hyundai, were sent to a state police laboratory for analysis, Mr. Scanlon said.

During their search of the vehicle, police also found paperwork associated with a civil lawsuit in which Mr. Baron received a $14,500 default judgment last month.

During their search of the vehicle, police also found paperwork associated with a civil lawsuit in which Mr. Baron received a $14,500 default judgment last month
    Hum.

http://wnep.com/2018/04/18/woman-ord...f-missing-man/

A woman charged with stealing from the mother of a missing man was sentenced to prison on Wednesday.

Sharon Grzenda of Moosic was sentenced to 11 to 23 months in county prison and ordered to pay back more than $36,000.

Police said she stole the money from a woman in her care.

That woman, Helen Baron, is the mother of a missing man -- Robert Baron of Old Forge.

Investigators say they do not believe this is related to the Robert Baron missing person case, but it was discovered during that investigation.

https://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/pen...owner-n1124306

Pennsylvania family desperate for answers in disappearance of beloved Ghigiarelli's Pizza owner missing since 2017

Thread Information