Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ex NFL player Joe McKnight (28) shot and killed by Ronald Gasser (54) in road rage incident; Gasser not charged

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ex NFL player Joe McKnight (28) shot and killed by Ronald Gasser (54) in road rage incident; Gasser not charged

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...A8H?li=BBnb7Kz

A road rage incident possibly sparked by a driver cutting off another on a nearby bridge spiraled into a shooting that left an ex-NFL player dead, authorities said, amid criticism the shooter was allowed to go free.

Joe McKnight, 28, was shot Thursday afternoon in Terrytown, across the Mississippi River from New Orleans. Authorities identified Ronald Gasser, 54, who stayed at the scene, as the shooter and released him overnight.

At a news conference Friday, Jefferson Parish Sheriff Newell Normand said the altercation started on a nearby bridge and proceeded into the New Orleans suburb.

Witnesses reported hearing rapid gunfire after the two men were in a heated argument. Gasser shot McKnight three times from inside his car while McKnight stood outside. No charges have been filed, and some have criticized the sheriff for releasing Gasser.

Morris Reed Sr., president of the New Orleans branch of the NAACP, was part of a small group of protesters outside the sheriff's office Friday. He said they would ask the Department of Justice to open an independent investigation into the shooting.

"Until someone is charged with a crime, justice is not served," he said on local media.

Dozens of people gathered at the scene of the shooting Friday night, holding hands in prayer and lighting candles. One woman held a sign saying "This is murder."

Normand defended his handling of the case, saying they would investigate thoroughly. Speaking of Gasser's release, the sheriff said the state has certain "statutes" that provide a defense to certain crimes but did not go into detail.

Normand rejected accounts in local media speculating about the shooting. He said there's no video of the incident and Gasser did not stand over McKnight, firing. Coroner Gerry Cvitanovich said McKnight's three wounds were not consistent with being shot from above.

When asked whether the state's "stand your ground" law will play a role, Normand said: "It is one of the issues that looms on the horizon," before saying he didn't want to give an opinion.

"Stand your ground" laws give people wide latitude to use deadly force when they believe they are in danger. Dane Ciolino, a Loyola University law professor in New Orleans, says under such laws people "engaged in lawful activity in a place where they have a lawful right to be, don't have to retreat."

He said it "... boils down to whether the killing is necessary for this man to save his life."

Authorities have said McKnight didn't have a weapon on or near him when found.

But news that Gasser has been involved in a similar altercation -- at the same intersection -- with a driver a decade ago will likely raise further questions about who was the aggressor.

Normand said in a press release late Friday that in February 2006, a man observed a truck driving erratically and called a number on the truck, speaking to a man later identified as Gasser.

Gasser and the man got into a fight on the phone and then Gasser followed the man to a service station, confronted him and hit him several times. Gasser drove away and the victim called 911.

Investigators found Gasser and issued a misdemeanor summons for simple battery, which was later dismissed. Authorities said they are trying to determine why it was dismissed.

McKnight's grandmother, Barbara Franklin, said relatives are "trying to find out our own selves" just what happened and why Gasser was released.

"He might be released now, but God is going to bring about justice in it," she said by phone.

McKnight's death was eerily similar to that of former New Orleans Saints player Will Smith who was killed last April in a shooting sparked by a traffic altercation.

The man accused of shooting Smith goes on trial Monday in New Orleans. The discrepancy in how the two shooters were treated stood out for Kawanee Holmes, of Gretna, Louisiana who came to the intersection where McKnight was shot to leave balloons and flowers with a friend.

"It wasn't justified what he did. He could have defused the situation by driving away," Holmes said.

McKnight is black and Gasser is white, authorities said. Normand denied race played a role, pointing out that the man who raised McKnight used to be a sheriff's deputy and many people in the department are close to his family.

McKnight played three seasons for the New York Jets and one with the Kansas City Chiefs. He spent this season in the Canadian Football League. He was considered the nation's No. 1 running back recruit when he came out of Louisiana in 2006 and signed with the University of Southern California.

Former teammates in New York remembered McKnight fondly.

"I enjoyed the time when he was here and getting to know him as a person. I think it's going to hurt his son the most and that's what is really bothering me -- knowing that a kid will have to grow up without his dad," said Muhammad Wilkerson.

The Jets plan a moment of silence before Monday's game to honor McKnight.

Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll coached McKnight at USC and said he had talked with McKnight just three weeks ago in California.

"He had a great heart, he was a great kid, he was fun to be around, fun loving but you just knew he had a lot of stuff to overcome and he was making it," Carroll said. "We're going to miss him greatly," Carroll said.

I was watching the news and a snippet of this came on. I was pissed this guy was released and not charged with anything.

Absolutely fucked up.

It was self defense

I highly doubt it was self defense.

This guys has a history with road rage and acting out.

This was a white guy that shot a black man and for no real reason.

Self defense my ass.

Goonie is a racist Trump-Nazi. It doesn't matter if McKnight was serving food to the homeless in a church and Gasser just walked in and blew him away. Gasser is white and McKnight is black, so to Goonie Gasser is a hero and McKnight deserved it. Goonie is what is wrong with America.

I kinda figured judging by other comments they've made.

What a shit human.

Trump is going to turn around this country, not sure what this has to do with someone sitting in their car defending themselves from a road rager.

Also keep dropping political replies in all your posts, you Liberals killed this website.

Quote Originally Posted by gooniemon View Post
    Trump is going to turn around this country, not sure what this has to do with someone sitting in their car defending themselves from a road rager.

Also keep dropping political replies in all your posts, you Liberals killed this website.
    Will do, Trump Nazi! And if by "turn this county around" you mean kill it with his ignorance of economic policies and diplomacy and his obsession with himself and thin skinned panty pissing, crybaby demeanor, then yes, he will.

On topic, I am glad they are looking into why the charges were "dropped" the first time. I am guessing some buddy of his made them disappear. I hope they can get the original charges re-instated too since they seemed surprised that the charges hadn't proceeded. It's obvious they weren't dropped because they should have been. Hopefully they will nail this loose canon this time.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...harged-n692571

Suspect in Fatal Shooting of Ex-NFLer Joe McKnight Charged With Manslaughter

The Louisiana sheriff overseeing the case of a gunman accused of fatally shooting ex-NFL running back Joe McKnight announced manslaughter charges Tuesday before lashing out at the community for its response to the killing.

Jefferson Parish Sheriff Newell Normand struck a fiery and defensive tone in response to people questioning why 54-year-old Ronald Gasser was initially released Friday ? despite police saying he admitted to shooting McKnight on Thursday afternoon in the New Orleans suburb of Terrytown.

"Tough. I don't care," Normand told reporters about the perceived sluggishness in charging Gasser, who was arrested late Monday. His bond was listed at $500,000.

Normand also blasted a witness who he said lied several times about the shooting, which occurred as the result of an apparent road-rage incident between Gasser and McKnight.

"That particular witness told three different stories in the span of an hour," Normand said. "Shame on that individual."

Normand then turned his attention to attacks made by the public on elected officials who called for patience before charges were made. Some of the rhetoric, which Normand repeated during the news conference, used racial and anti-gay slurs.

"Shame on you!" Normand said.

He admonished critics further, saying that their demands for justice ignored police who were still piecing together what happened.

"It's not about the process," Normand said before mockingly using critics' calls for justice against them: "It's about what we want and what we want now."

The family of 28-year-old McKnight, who previously played for the New York Jets and the Kansas City Chiefs, had been asking for a thorough investigation. "At this point, we just want to just take everything day by day. We don't want to jump to any conclusions," Johanna McKnight, McKnight's sister, said Saturday.

Normand suggested that neither McKnight nor Gasser were innocent in how they acted, and that the incident started when witnesses said they were driving erratically on a highway.

McKnight "might have cut Mr. Gasser off, and Mr. Gasser was irritated and went after Mr. McKnight," Normand said.

After pulling off the highway, Gasser eventually became boxed in by other vehicles, witnesses told police. McKnight exited his car, and a verbal altercation ensued. Gasser pulled his weapon from his seat and fired three times, killing McKnight at the scene, Normand added.

He said McKnight was driving his stepfather's car and that there was a gun belonging to his stepfather inside the vehicle. There is no evidence suggesting McKnight claimed to be armed, Normand added.

When deputies arrived to the scene, they said, Gasser admitted to the shooting.

The incident is similar in some respects to another road-rage killing in April involving former NFL player Will Smith. The trial against the alleged gunman, Cardell Hayes, began Monday in New Orleans.
    Wow, this Sheriff is so unbiased. I have high hopes this trial won't be rigged.

meh, the guy was famous, he has a better chance of justice than normal.
    the sheriff is right, sometimes the wheels have to turn a bit slower and it appears one of the causes slowing down the process was inconsistent witness statements.
    just hope the guy gets a few years in the pokey but McKnight was dumb for leaving his car to go confront the guy.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...del-killed.jpg

Experts: Why Joe McKnight's shooter Ronald Gasser arrested on manslaughter, not murder

Joe McKnight's shooter Ronald Gasser has been booked on a manslaughter charge, four days after he was initially released without charges. What does the charge of manslaughter mean?

Manslaughter is a crime committed in the "heat of passion," according to Tulane associate professor and criminal defense attorney Nandi Campbell. She said there are stark differences between manslaughter and second-degree murder -- another possible charge Gasser could have faced. In Louisiana, a conviction for second-degree murder can carry a life sentence, while manslaughter can only bring a maximum of 40 years in prison.

"Manslaughter usually requires a heat of passion," Campbell said over the phone Tuesday morning (Dec. 6). "We say it was as though the blood didn't cool yet."

Authorities say Gasser fatally shot McKnight, 27, from inside his vehicle during a road rage incident Dec. 1 in Terrytown (map), the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office said.

Campbell likened a "heat of passion" scenario to a husband who comes home to find his wife in bed with another man, and tempers boil. Often, Campbell said, manslaughter is the lesser charge prosecutors use to negotiate a plea deal with someone who has been charged with murder.

Authorities say Gasser fatally shot McKnight, 27, from inside his vehicle during a road rage incident Thursday.

Ken Levy, an LSU associate law professor, agreed with Campbell that Louisiana's "heat of passion" statute is likely in play in the decision to charge Gasser with manslaughter. He hypothesized that "heat of passion" is how Jefferson Parish Sheriff Newell Normand and investigators may be viewing Gasser's "road rage" episode: he became incensed while driving, and passions flared into violence.

"So it's not murder," Levy said over the phone Tuesday morning. "It's intentional killing, but the heat of passion is a mitigating factor."

Manslaughter avoids "overreaching" with jurors

Levy said also that a manslaughter charge possibly indicates Normand does not want to "overreach" with a jury, as in the case of Trayvon Martin's fatal shooter, George Zimmerman. Zimmerman was acquitted of second-degree murder by a Florida jury in 2013 in the killing of 17-year-old Martin, a case in which Zimmerman invoked Florida's self-defense law.

"They may not want to be overreaching here," Levy said. "If they went for murder, a jury might not accept that for whatever reason and then they get no conviction."

Levy said also that Normand may have what's called "imperfect self-defense" in mind, which involves two possible versions of the events that led to Gasser shooting McKnight.

In one version, Levy indicated, "Gasser honestly, by unreasonably, thought that McKnight was presenting an imminent and unlawful threat of serious bodily injury or death." On the other hand, "the force that Gasser used was disproportionate to the threat that McKnight presented."

Campbell, meanwhile, did not see first-degree murder charges as a possible scenario, given that there appeared to be no "aggravated" factor in McKnight's killing -- such as planning it in advance.

Generally, Campbell said, for either manslaughter or murder charges, a defendant can use self-defense as a reason.

Campbell stressed that with charges now brought forth, the Jefferson Parish District Attorney's Office can still formally accuse Gasser on a different charge, such as second-degree murder. She added that a grand jury could later decide to change Gasser's charge to negligent homicide, or to not indict him at all.

Regardless of what charges eventually come down, Gasser's arrest has set the clock to ticking. With Gasser in jail, the district attorney has no more than 60 days to formally charge him. If he posts bond to be released from jail, that deadline comes in 120 days.

JPSO said it will hold a press conference Tuesday morning (Dec. 6) to give an update on the investigation. The media event is scheduled for 10 a.m. with Sheriff Newell Normand.

Normand indicated during a press conference last week that the probe of McKnight's shooter included consideration of Louisiana's stand-your-ground law. The law says a person does not have "a duty to retreat" when the prospect of life-threatening or great bodily harm appears imminent.

"In this state, there are relative statutes that provide defenses to certain crimes," Normand said last week. "For example, officers have those same defenses. So when we shoot and kill somebody, the question is ... it's a homicide. The question is, 'Is it justified or not?'"

The NAACP and others have pointed to the case of Cardell Hayes, who was arrested by New Orleans police and charged with second-degree murder after fatally shooting former Saints star Will Smith under similar circumstances in April. Critics have pointed to the fact that Gasser is white and Hayes is black, suggesting different treatment from law enforcement because of their race, something Normand has rejected.

Critics have pointed to the fact that Gasser is white and Hayes is black, suggesting different treatment from law enforcement because of their race, something Normand has rejected.
    Sounds legit to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I think the biggest difference in the two cases is the "heat of passion" thing. In Smith's murder, the argument had already cooled down, then the gunman unloaded on Smith, striking him once in the side and seven times in the back. Smith wasn't even facing the shooter when shot. That's how I understand it, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Yes, Will Smith was walking back to his car to "get his gun"; McKnight presumably was just outide the window of the car

Heat of passion???? You have got to be kidding me.

I get the heat of passion thing with a husband walking in on his wife cheating thing, because he has a relationship with that person.

This douchebag did not. He was just angry, and it's bullshit that when you get mad at a stranger and shoot them, they don't consider that murder.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Heat of passion???? You have got to be kidding me.

I get the heat of passion thing with a husband walking in on his wife cheating thing, because he has a relationship with that person.

This douchebag did not. He was just angry, and it's bullshit that when you get mad at a stranger and shoot them, they don't consider that murder.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    I'm sure justice will be served, and this man will pay harshly for his crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Gasser looks creepy as fuck.

This is utterly bs. For a Sheriff to carry himself in such manner saying things like"tough, I don't care" really shows his passion for his community. I mean come on clearly McKnight put the gun back in his car before going back to lie on the ground shot up. 😒 This guy Gasser looks like the type to do something and then say he was standing his ground . Sadly this reminds me of my cousins fiance Wathson who was stabbed in the head after road rage incident and the man wasn't even charged at all, but the woman fires a warning shot at her abusive husband and is in prison 😒 . I'm so over all of these stories.

Ronald Gasser Jr. was charged with second degree murder by a Louisiana grand jury for killing McKnight at the intersection of Behrman Highway and Holmes Boulevard in Terrytown, Louisiana, on December 1.
    The pair had been arguing when Gasser shot the athlete and father-of-one from inside his car.
    The charge is an upgrade from the single count of manslaughter he was previously facing and comes after outcry from the local community.
    It is the result of 'additional evidence' obtained by the Jefferson Parish District Attorney and police, authorities said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4XcKPwI4Q
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Man accused of killing Rider?s Joe McKnight pleads not guilty to second-degree murder

http://globalnews.ca/news/3230349/ma...mpaign_id=A100

The Louisiana man accused of second-degree murder in the shooting death of Saskatchewan Roughrider running back Joe McKnight has pleaded not guilty.

Ronald Gasser, 55, made his first appearance at a Jefferson Parish, La courthouse Monday morning. His defence attorney, Gerard Archer, says Gasser acted in self-defense.

Archer says that McKnight was driving behind Gasser and there had been a verbal confrontation.

He says McKnight was ?two or three car lengths? behind Gasser, McKnight then switched lanes, went around Gasser, parked illegally on the shoulder of the road.

The Jefferson Parish District Attorney?s Office announced Gasser?s second-degree murder charge on February 2.

Gasser was originally arrested and charged with manslaughter days after McKnight was shot and killed on Dec. 1. He was initially taken into custody and released on the day of the shooting, prompting backlash.

If Gasser is convicted he faces a life-sentence at hard labour without the benefit of parole. He?s being held on a $750,000 bond.

McKnight, 28, was shot and killed in an apparent road rage incident in Terrytown, La. Terrytown is a suburb of New Orleans.

Gasser?s next court appearance is February 16.

Quote Originally Posted by sogs View Post
    Nothing matters but the lesbian.

If Gasser is convicted he faces a life-sentence at hard labour without the benefit of parole.
    Sounds like a North Korea type of punishment at first glance, but in the US, hard labor doesn't seem too terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by mydeathspace View Post
    Sounds like a North Korea type of punishment at first glance, but in the US, hard labor doesn't seem too terrible.

In Louisiana- Angola. Usually means some hard farm work. No days off. They work for their own food.

But if not Angola- it usually just means you were sentenced to the dept of corrections instead of a parish jail.

In this case, I'm sure it means Angola.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...Txj?li=BBnb7Kz

Trial set to begin in ex-NFL player's road-rage killing

The trial in a road-rage shooting that left a former NFL football player Joe McKnight dead is set to begin in a New Orleans suburb.

Fifty-five-year-old Ronald Gasser is charged with second-degree murder in the Dec. 1, 2016, shooting of the former running back.

Gasser's attorneys have cast the 28-year-old McKnight as the aggressor and are expected to argue Gasser shot in self-defense.

Jury selection was set to begin Tuesday.

Sort of off topic, but has anyone seen WAGS: LA? One of the chicks on there, her ex and father of her son is Joe. She briefly mentions him being killed. So awful for the little boy :(

Edited to fix: It's LA not Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information