Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Oakland 'Ghost Ship' Fire - 36 confirmed deaths

There is a press conference about the recovery effort happening now. Fire Department officials are emotional. It took 12 hours to get throught 1/5 of the building. They've recovered 24 victims but have only been able to make three official notifications to family. It will take several days to get through the whole building.

What a tragic loss of so many lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Our friend was one of the bodies identified and notified. I don't really want to get too much into it out of respect for her family. She was an incredibly talented person and so young, and this is a tremendous waste and senseless tragedy. The fact that there are people trolling the pages about this and posting 'Hot Stuff' and 'Disco Inferno' makes me sick. I barely slept last night. My husband is shell shocked. He lost at least four people and we think in the days to come that list will grow. And these weren't acquaintances, these were friends, people who stayed at our house, creative, awesome people. I have so many friends who are just fucking destroyed right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Our friend was one of the bodies identified and notified. I don't really want to get too much into it out of respect for her family. She was an incredibly talented person and so young, and this is a tremendous waste and senseless tragedy. The fact that there are people trolling the pages about this and posting 'Hot Stuff' and 'Disco Inferno' makes me sick. I barely slept last night. My husband is shell shocked. He lost at least four people and we think in the days to come that list will grow. And these weren't acquaintances, these were friends, people who stayed at our house, creative, awesome people. I have so many friends who are just fucking destroyed right now.
    So sorry to hear this Bowie. My heart goes out to you & your husband and his friends and families. I wish I could say something that would ease people's pain, but everything would just ring hollow.

As for the trolls, words fail me with their insensitivity and nastiness. These were young people on a night out. I went to warehouse parties in the 80s and 90s, it could easily have happened to any number of those.

There are many factors that should be reviewed in the months to come, as to why music and parties like this have been pushed underground (in the UK the criminal justice bill 1994) lack of affordable housing for creative people and just people in general and the health and safety aspects of cheap housing. I sincerely hope that theses factors are explored fully, rather than scapegoating one or two people (and I'm not negating their parts in this, they should be charged, im just saying that there is also a bigger picture here).

But in the meantime, many hugs to you and yours Bowie.

I'm so sorry for you and your husband Bowie. So very sorry.

Thinking back to when I was in my late teens/early 20's, I could definitely see myself hanging out at a place like that. And I would not have given any thought to how unsafe it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkasaurus View Post
    Thinking back to when I was in my late teens/early 20's, I could definitely see myself hanging out at a place like that. And I would not have given any thought to how unsafe it was.
    Same here. I thought about having a great night out. Probably thought I was invincible back then, like many young people on this site probably did.

The news has identified our friend Cash. she was an extremely talented, creative human being. her band Them Are Us Too was on the same label as my husband. 22 years old. Her father is a friend and my heart hurts so much for him.

she was an extremely talented, creative human being.
    You're right.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

I just read in one article that the couple that owned this building had their three kids living with them on the top floor at one point.

After reading a bit more about the history of that place, I think if the owner doesn't get criminal charges, he is going to be financially destitute after all the civil trials.

here is one article with an interview of a woman who once lived in the place: http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articl...akeshift-space

I thought they were renting it? I've been reading that the owner lives out of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy1217 View Post
    I thought they were renting it? I've been reading that the owner lives out of the country.
    You are right- it was the renters who had the kids (and who set up the whole interior of the place).

Probably the owner and renter will get some charges.

I am so, so sorry for your loss :( This is so awful. Your friend seemed like an amazing and talented person. All of my thoughts are with you, your husband, and Oakland.

I've been reading about this all day. It's absolutely horrific. It blows my mind that some comments on news articles are blaming the artists/young people for being at the warehouse, it's disgusting. It's like we can't do anything these days without being held personally responsible or 'deserving it'. I'm pretty involved in the local DIY scene in my hometown and it's very closely knit and reminds me of a lot of this - to lose so many friends in one night would be absolutely devastating, I can't even imagine how their friends and families are feeling. All of my thoughts and love are with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkasaurus View Post
    I just read in one article that the couple that owned this building had their three kids living with them on the top floor at one point.

After reading a bit more about the history of that place, I think if the owner doesn't get criminal charges, he is going to be financially destitute after all the civil trials.
    The renter (I think?) seems like a pretty shitty guy - he posted on Facebook after the event saying that his life's work was ruined, when people were/are desperately searching to see if their loved ones survived...

That owner needs to have her ass handed to her. There's NO reason she should have been renting that place out without sprinklers. Regardless of the fact that no one was suppose to be living there the fact that she thought it was okay to rent it for anything in that condition is bull shit.

I'm so, so, fucking sorry. There's no words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

I saw another press conference a little earlier, and they said there are teenagers, "17 years old and possibly younger," among the dead. Freaking awful.

They also said they had recovered 33 victims and have made a total of nine notifications to family. They've made it through about 35-40 percent of the building.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy1217 View Post
    That owner needs to have her ass handed to her. There's NO reason she should have been renting that place out without sprinklers. Regardless of the fact that no one was suppose to be living there the fact that she thought it was okay to rent it for anything in that condition is bull shit.
    The owner is some Chinese guy who was renting it from overseas to a guy who lived there with his family for years. I'm pretty sure heads are going to roll, but the real problem here is that anyone isn't addressing the housing crisis at all. These kids have nowhere else to go. They aren't living in these conditions because it's cool.

So was this the type of place you could come and go as you please?

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Bowie - there are no words. I cannot fathom what has happened and what you, your husband, all families and friends are going through. Much love to you and all impacted by this horrible tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by puke View Post
    So was this the type of place you could come and go as you please?
    I don't know what you mean? It was a warehouse where people lived and they put on shows to pay the rent. Sometimes places like that have a cover at the door, other times they just pass a bucket around during the show.

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    I saw another press conference a little earlier, and they said there are teenagers, "17 years old and possibly younger," among the dead. Freaking awful.

They also said they had recovered 33 victims and have made a total of nine notifications to family. They've made it through about 35-40 percent of the building.
    I don't blame the kid that posted on the Reddit thread for not doing more. I hope the people that did get out don't blame themselves. People can talk shit to him and other survivors, but no one knows how they will react in that situation.

A multi leveled structure, filled with people, and only one exit when a fire breaks out sounds like a nightmare. I think (hope) it happened quickly and no one suffered. I don't understand how people are actually somehow spinning this as the attendee's fault? I don't know how's that's possible. Do they have any idea how the fire started?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I don't know what you mean? It was a warehouse where people lived and they put on shows to pay the rent. Sometimes places like that have a cover at the door, other times they just pass a bucket around during the show.
    Gotcha, I didn't put it together that people actually lived there.

The person who owns the warehouse is a woman named Chor Ng. She and her family seem to be sticking to their story that they didn't know people were actually living there and that she didn't give them permission to. Yeah, okay we'll see how well that plays out for her.
    Last edited by Amy1217; 12-04-2016 at 07:20 PM.

Thread Information