Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Oakland 'Ghost Ship' Fire - 36 confirmed deaths

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    The news has identified our friend Cash. she was an extremely talented, creative human being. her band Them Are Us Too was on the same label as my husband. 22 years old. Her father is a friend and my heart hurts so much for him.
    i'm so very sorry for your loss.

what a hauntingly beautiful voice. i can't stop listening to them.

The news has identified our friend Cash. she was an extremely talented, creative human being. her band Them Are Us Too was on the same label as my husband. 22 years old. Her father is a friend and my heart hurts so much for him.

So very sorry. Nothing anyone can say will make things better but I offer my sincerest condolences and hope that you, your husband, and friends and family of all the victims can find a way to heal. I can't even imagine experiencing this magnitude of tragedy.
    This is beautiful, thank you for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by puke View Post
    So was this the type of place you could come and go as you please?
    According to an article, Chor Ng owns the property (along with some other property in the area) and rents the property to Derick for $5000 a mth. Derick sub-lesses the warehouse to others for $500 a month. They sort of have like an RV area that people live in. Derick then rents out some space for parties.

Friends say the only reason people rent there is because they can't afford anywhere else.

I just looked at rentals in Oakland. HOLY price shock. I really don't see how people can afford to live there. What they pay in rent for a small dumpy one bedroom apt is MORE than I pay for my mortgage.

"People are desperate for places," she said. "It's one of those things where you don't want to report something you see because you know how hard it is for people to find spaces."
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/05/us/cal...hip-warehouse/

Live-work warehouses are becoming increasingly common in urban areas as the rising real estate market squeezes out artists and longtime residents of formerly bohemian enclaves including San Francisco and Oakland.

As more people seek refuge in the warehouses amid the housing shortage, the harder it gets to keep everything up to code, Dunn said.
    "To have that type of living space totally aboveboard, [landlords and tenants] would be completely priced out," he said. "There is a fear if someone blows the whistle on a safety issue that it's going to lead to them being evicted, because there's so much money tied up

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    The housing crisis is an absolute disgrace. It's criminal. It's happening all over California and all of the major cities of America. It started with the housing bubble in 2008, people lost their homes and were forced to rent. People with money took advantage and scooped up properties and started renting them out. Since there were an overabundance of renters now (people who lost their home), they increasingly hiked up the cost over the years and now it's unaffordable to the large majority of the population.

In CA in particular (can't speak for elsewhere) the Chinese bought properties all over the place and use these properties to "hide" their money from their government. They are NOTORIOUS for not fixing properties, not being up to code and then claiming ignorance.

How do I know? I live in a place owned by a Chinese Woman who won't do ANYTHING to the property. There was no smoke or CO alarm, I bought my own. That's when we discovered the wall heater was giving off CO and couldn't use it. No heat. We discovered cockroaches, she did nothing and we spent two months eradicating them ourselves. There are rats in the attic, they have chewed through the wiring and our pipes. The electrical is fucked. The plumbing is fucked.

We're trying to move, but you guessed it! Can't afford to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...e-10691083.php

Donna Kellogg

A ?freewheeling and free-spirited? person, Donna Kellogg rode a bright blue bicycle and loved coffee. She also loved cooking vegetables and soup, particularly borscht and miso. And she played the drums with a passion.

?She liked avant-garde music,? said her father, Hugh Slocum. It was the kind of music they were playing at the Oakland warehouse known as the the Ghost Ship on Friday night.

The 32-year-old Oakland resident worked as a barista at the High Wire coffee shop in Berkeley, a boutique roaster that takes its coffee as seriously as Kellogg did.

Slocum, of Salinas, said his daughter always enjoyed the outdoors and had just returned from a hiking trip to Point Reyes.

A recent graduate of San Francisco State University, she was studying for an additional degree in culinary arts at Laney College in Oakland. She was passionate about ?holistic cooking? and good nutrition.

She grew up in Chico, graduated from Chico High and came to the Bay Area ?to attend college, and because she loved the Bay Area,? her father said.

A friend who gave her name only as Kim said Kellogg was a ?candid person in a beautiful, delightful way.? She was ?freewheeling and free-spirited.?...

more at link...
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Is there a GoFundMe for the victims (I know that they are still working on ID/notifying)? I think people would like to help pay for funeral arrangements.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Is there a GoFundMe for the victims (I know that they are still working on ID/notifying)? I think people would like to help pay for funeral arrangements.
    There are several youcaring. Here's Cash's:
    https://www.youcaring.com/leisabaird...nyhaire-707509

Here's the general one for the community:
    https://www.youcaring.com/firevictim...c232016-706684

Quote Originally Posted by anorexorcist View Post
    i'm so very sorry for your loss.

what a hauntingly beautiful voice. i can't stop listening to them.
    She was the guitar player, fortunately the singer wasn't present at the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy1217 View Post
    The person who owns the warehouse is a woman named Chor Ng. She and her family seem to be sticking to their story that they didn't know people were actually living there and that she didn't give them permission to. Yeah, okay we'll see how well that plays out for her.
    There is NO WAY they did not know. They'd been issued several write ups from the city in the past. Fuck this woman so hard.

There is NO WAY they did not know. They'd been issued several write ups from the city in the past. Fuck this woman so hard.
    I was going to say to the tricky part would be to prove she knew. If there were write ups, she knew. I expect some lawsuits will be filed.

Thank you for linking the youcaring links

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I was going to say to the tricky part would be to prove she knew. If there were write ups, she knew. I expect some lawsuits will be filed.

Thank you for linking the youcaring links
    Yeah there is a long list of violations they've been cited for.

Fucking bullshit. How can anyone be this cheap at the expense of so many lives? It's disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    The housing crisis is an absolute disgrace. It's criminal. It's happening all over California and all of the major cities of America. It started with the housing bubble in 2008, people lost their homes and were forced to rent. People with money took advantage and scooped up properties and started renting them out. Since there were an overabundance of renters now (people who lost their home), they increasingly hiked up the cost over the years and now it's unaffordable to the large majority of the population.

In CA in particular (can't speak for elsewhere) the Chinese bought properties all over the place and use these properties to "hide" their money from their government. They are NOTORIOUS for not fixing properties, not being up to code and then claiming ignorance.

How do I know? I live in a place owned by a Chinese Woman who won't do ANYTHING to the property. There was no smoke or CO alarm, I bought my own. That's when we discovered the wall heater was giving off CO and couldn't use it. No heat. We discovered cockroaches, she did nothing and we spent two months eradicating them ourselves. There are rats in the attic, they have chewed through the wiring and our pipes. The electrical is fucked. The plumbing is fucked.

We're trying to move, but you guessed it! Can't afford to.
    I am soooo sorry that you have to deal with that as well...wish there was a way you could force your landlord to get the place up to par. I live in Texas & the cost of living has gone up a lot...I am lucky enough to have my grandparents who rent me my house for very cheap..(it was their first home and they bought a new one)I make a good living as does my BF, but honestly if we didn't have this house, we would be struggling. I feel for you & understand how rough it must be. It's sad that good hard working people are left with little options. I still don't understand how our government can pay for people to live, pop out a bunch of kids and remain unemployed without a care in the world, while those of us that work our asses of struggle to live paycheck to paycheck.

K Records is raising money by selling a collection of Joey Casio's singles

http://shop.krecs.com/collections/al...ief-fundraiser

Joey also died in the fire. He set up most of my husband's Oakland shows and was very well known and loved within the scene.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jp1129 View Post
    I am soooo sorry that you have to deal with that as well...wish there was a way you could force your landlord to get the place up to par. I live in Texas & the cost of living has gone up a lot...I am lucky enough to have my grandparents who rent me my house for very cheap..(it was their first home and they bought a new one)I make a good living as does my BF, but honestly if we didn't have this house, we would be struggling. I feel for you & understand how rough it must be. It's sad that good hard working people are left with little options. I still don't understand how our government can pay for people to live, pop out a bunch of kids and remain unemployed without a care in the world, while those of us that work our asses of struggle to live paycheck to paycheck.
    We've contacted the building inspector, but unfortunately it would end with us hanging to move out and trying to find a place that we can afford and accepts small dogs on short notice is pretty much impossible.

We've been putting away money and paying off credit cards so we should be prepared to pay out the nose (begrudgingly) in the New Year. Once we're out, she's seriously screwed. We're going to nail her to the wall.

Point is, that there are tens of thousands of people like us and it's absolutely no surprise that what happened in Oakland happened. What's worse? Living in a potential death trap? Or on the streets? Because there's literally no other options.

ETA: and not being racist here, but we will NEVER rent from a Chinese landlord again. Ever.
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 12-05-2016 at 10:55 AM.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    We've contacted the building inspector, but unfortunately it would end with us hanging to move out and trying to find a place that we can afford and accepts small dogs on short notice is pretty much impossible.

We've been putting away money and paying off credit cards so we should be prepared to pay out the nose (begrudgingly) in the New Year. Once we're out, she's seriously screwed. We're going to nail her to the wall.

Point is, that there are tens of thousands of people like us and it's absolutely no surprise that what happened in Oakland happened. What's worse? Living in a potential death trap? Or on the streets? Because there's literally no other options.

ETA: and not being racist here, but we will NEVER rent from a Chinese landlord again. Ever.
    Well I hope that your landlord gets what she deserves & y'all get out of that situation safe & sound. It is very sad that there are so many others like you & your family who are left with such few options. So very sad what happened in Oakland. The victims seemed to be such amazing & creative people & it breaks my heart. This should have never happened. Nothing good comes from making a buck from someone else's misfortune or desperation.

This house is a drive of 13 minutes far from where I stayed in October when me and my bf drove along the West Coast. I think I remember driving past it several times. What a tragedy.

people magazine published a nice tribute to Cash
    http://people.com/human-interest/22-...im-cash-askew/

I lived in a big co-op house with at least 10 people residing there at all times, plus guests. We also hosted shows. The place was a dump but our rent was cheap. We were instructed by the person who was on the lease to avoid any interaction with the landlords and to only come to him with any issues. Needless to say, nothing ever got fixed. The idea was that if we became a problem in any way, they'd probably just shut us down and kick us all out so we were always feeling insecure in our housing.

One dangerous issue with the live/work wherehouse space (on top of shitty slumlords who absolutely know what is going on and turn a blind eye) is definitely accessibility. People work to build up rooms that didn't exist out of substandard materials and it can become an unstable maze. Often, certain areas are blocked off because that is where people live and they don't want everyone coming through. I was reading that the ghost ship had an additional stairway from the top but it had been blocked off for some reason.

The loss of life here is devastating. So many factors came together to make it happen including the housing crisis, bad management and na?vet?. I can't imagine many people really consider the safety of the places they go regularly and even if they do worry about it, their options are limited. Every time a creative space pops up legitimately, it's either too explensive to maintain or under constant legal scrutiny. People need spaces like this and unfortunately it comes with some risk.
    Last edited by animosity; 12-05-2016 at 11:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Confirmed dead are:

Travis Hough - https://www.facebook.com/travismicha...nhough?fref=ts
    Nick Gomez-Hall - https://www.facebook.com/nick.gomezhall
    Cash Askew - https://www.facebook.com/cash.askew?fref=ts
    David Cline - https://www.facebook.com/david.t.cline.3?fref=ts
    Donna Kellogg
    Sara Hoda
    Brandon Chase Wittenauer
    + a 17-year-old whose name isn't mentioned

Bowie, I am so sorry for you and your husband. :'( Please keep strong.

people magazine published a nice tribute to Cash
    http://people.com/human-interest/22-...im-cash-askew/
    it sounds like she was a wonderful person and extremely loved.

I think this is Donna: [edit nope, wrong girl]
    Last edited by Amy1217; 12-06-2016 at 03:49 PM.

The 17 year old has been identified as Draven McGill, a junior at the Ruth Asawa School of the Arts. McGill was the son of Phil McGill, a deputy for the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office.

They've brought in a crane and have cut the power for the afternoon for safety. Its chilly today, but no rain yet.

Quote Originally Posted by morbid1 View Post
    The 17 year old has been identified as Draven McGill, a junior at the Ruth Asawa School of the Arts. McGill was the son of Phil McGill, a deputy for the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office.

They've brought in a crane and have cut the power for the afternoon for safety. Its chilly today, but no rain yet.

I had a feeling the deputy's kid that died would end up being one of the deceased teenagers based on something they said at the press conference the other day. Sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Was the 17 year old legally allowed to be there?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Was the 17 year old legally allowed to be there?
    Places like that are usually all ages. It's pretty much just a house party. BYOB sort of thing.

Some reporter found the guy who ran it at a hotel: http://abc7news.com/news/exclusive-g...-fire/1640208/

Thread Information