Thread: Cleveland man caught up in gun debate

Cleveland man caught up in gun debate

Damon Wells is the man gun supporters imagined when they fought for the right to carry concealed weapons.

He had a permit to carry his gun, and he had the gun on him when a pair of teenage thieves approached him Saturday night on his front porch.

When one of the youths pulled a gun, Wells whipped out his and shot one of the boys multiple times in the chest, police said.

Arthur Buford, 15, died after stumbling away and collapsing on a sidewalk near East 134th Street and Kinsman Road.

City prosecutors decided Monday that Wells, 25, was justified and would not be charged for what appears to be the first time a concealed-carry permit holder has shot and killed an attacker.

Nonetheless, the shooting reignited the debate that roared three years ago when Ohio's concealed-carry law took effect.

Gun supporters said the weapon saved Wells' life. Opponents said it took Buford's - that the 15-year-old might be alive if a citizen had not been armed.

An angry throng of about 30 youths gathered Monday and set up a memorial at the intersection where Buford, a freshman at John F. Kennedy High School, died.

His cousin, Tameka Foster, 21, questioned why police refused to punish Buford's shooter. "They let that man run out freely," Foster said. "My cousin is dead."

Buford's accomplice disappeared after the shooting and had not been caught Monday night. Police found a .38-caliber handgun in the mail chute of a nearby house. They believe it belonged to Buford or the other suspect, Lt. Thomas Stacho said.

Police took a .40-caliber Smith and Wesson firearm from Wells, the police report shows.

Both sides of the gun debate said it was sad that a teenager died.

"It's tragic," said Jim Irvine, chairman of the Buckeye Firearm Association. "Anytime somebody dies it's tragic, but it's hard to have any sympathy when he chose to have a gun and go threaten somebody's life."

Irvine said it was "great that a potential victim is able to continue his life instead of having a criminal take it."

Toby Hoover, of the Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence, said she had not heard of any other fatal shooting involving a concealed-carry permit holder.

"This is one of the few where they actually used it to stop a crime," Hoover said.

But, she said, "there's still a dead kid here."

A man who answered phone a number for Wells refused to comment and hung up. No one answered the door at Wells' home.

Plain Dealer reporters Jesse Tinsley and Brie Zelter and researcher Cheryl Diamond contributed to this story.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2007/04/cleveland_man_caught_in_gun_co.html

Good for him! I don't get why hes in trouble though,he did the right thing. Someone threaten his life with force and he applied equal/greater force to save his own life. I wish he blew off both these scumbags head off.

Re: Cleveland man caught up in gun debate

So a guy is carrying concealed, is fixin to get robbed and shoots one of the would-be robbers.  Kid dies.

How is this weird or bizarre?
    Bisexual black female<br />in search of straight male<br />for love relationship<br />...long walks on the beach<br />...a good book in front of the fire<br />..and lots and lots of anal sex<br />--send photo--

[quote author=SuzySteamboat link=topic=6991.msg331277#msg331277 date=1178067212]
    So a guy is carrying concealed, is fixin to get robbed and shoots one of the would-be robbers.&nbsp; Kid dies.

How is this weird or bizarre?
    [/quote]
    Nonetheless, the shooting reignited the debate that roared three years ago when Ohio's concealed-carry law took effect.

Gun supporters said the weapon saved Wells' life. Opponents said it took Buford's - that the 15-year-old might be alive if a citizen had not been armed.

An angry throng of about 30 youths gathered Monday and set up a memorial at the intersection where Buford, a freshman at John F. Kennedy High School, died.

His cousin, Tameka Foster, 21, questioned why police refused to punish Buford's shooter. &quot;They let that man run out freely,&quot; Foster said. &quot;My cousin is dead.&quot;

My mistake,I didn't see the other section to Post news but its bizarre that some people are STILL complaining and crying out because of this kids age.

::shrug:: well he was only fifteen.&nbsp; Old enough to know right from wrong, old enough to understand to a certain extent the ramifications of his actions, but still... his brain wasn't fully developed yet.&nbsp;

Not that that excuses it.&nbsp; Kid was a dumbass, kid took a risk, kid died.&nbsp; I'd have shot him too.&nbsp;
    Bisexual black female<br />in search of straight male<br />for love relationship<br />...long walks on the beach<br />...a good book in front of the fire<br />..and lots and lots of anal sex<br />--send photo--

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Goetz
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

good, fuck that kid. that man not only saved his own life, but possibly saved others. how could anyone even think that guy should be in trouble. that cousin is out of her damn mind.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=6991.msg331318#msg331318 date=1178068404]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Goetz
    [/quote]
    Thanks for the Article. As sadistic as it my sound but I really wished Goetz and Wells finished all of the scumbags off.

The cousin is crazy.&nbsp; He's essentially saying that he would have been okay with him taking Wells' life over his cousin who instigated the whole situation.&nbsp; WTF?!&nbsp;

The cousin/family is in total denial. If it were my cousin, I would be really fucking sad that he was dead and that he made such a choice; But when you pull a gun on someone, you have to be ready for whatever comes next. Thats a heavy action that shouldn't be taken lightly. And even though the kid was only 15, I think he for damn sure knew what he was doing.

I am sorry for the family, but this man did the right thing to shoot him. I would have shot him too.

Time until one of this kids friends gets killed by the same guy while trying to exact revenge?&nbsp; :2thescream:

Thread Information