Thread: UCLA student Andrea DelVesco (21) was stabbed to death and her room set on fire; cops were called out as it happened but failed to detect a crime

UCLA student Andrea DelVesco (21) was stabbed to death and her room set on fire; cops were called out as it happened but failed to detect a crime

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...023-story.html

The Los Angeles Police Department has launched an internal investigation into the actions of several officers who responded to a report of a screaming woman at a Westwood apartment complex where a UCLA student was found dead later that morning.

LAPD Cmdr. Andrew Smith said Friday that four officers conducted an investigation at the building after a 911 call and left sometime before a fire was reported and Andrea DelVesco was found fatally stabbed.

Prosecutors allege that her killer set fire to her apartment in an attempt to destroy evidence.

More than two dozen firefighters responded to the blaze that engulfed the apartment on Roebling Avenue shortly after 7 a.m. on Sept. 21. Inside the smoked-filled home, firefighters found the 21-year-old student?s body. She had been stabbed multiple times.

Smith said the department would not comment on what kind of 911 call prompted the officers to go to the apartment building that morning, what time they arrived, what actions they took and when they left.

?What they did at the location is the subject of the internal affairs investigation,? Smith said

Dmitry Gorin, an attorney representing the man accused of carrying out the killing, said police documents turned over to him show that the officers responded to a report of a woman screaming at the apartment complex.

Gorin said homicide detectives noted in the records that they spoke to one or two residents of the complex who said they called police about screams they heard before the fire. He said it was unclear from the records he has reviewed whether the officers entered the apartment building or what actions they took before leaving.

Whether DelVesco was dead by the time the officers arrived is unclear.

Of the four officers who went to the apartment complex that morning, three have been assigned to desk duty, according to Smith. The fourth remains on patrol.

DelVesco, a native of Austin, Texas, was a fourth-year psychology student. Her sorority sisters identified her as a member of Pi Beta Phi.

LAPD Chief Charlie Beck last month described her killing as ?a horrific crime that I know shocked the school and much of Los Angeles.?

?I know that I am sleeping more comfortably at night and the public should also,? he told reporters after arrests were made in the case. He did not mention that some of his officers had responded to the scene before the blaze.

The Los Angeles County district attorney?s office last month charged Alberto Hinojosa Medina and Eric Marquez, both 22-year-old students, in DelVesco's death. They have pleaded not guilty.

Prosecutors allege that Medina and Marquez were responsible for a burglary in which a laptop and stereo speakers were stolen from another apartment nearby before DelVesco was killed. Medina is accused of entering DelVesco?s apartment and stabbing her before setting a fire and fleeing.

During the stabbing, prosecutors allege Marquez was in Medina's car ? emblazoned with distinct red Greek lettering on the back ? near DelVesco's apartment.

A surveillance video captured Medina wearing a Snuggie blanket belonging to DelVesco ?covering up blood on his shirt? as he returns to Marquez?s apartment a few blocks away from the scene of the slaying, a prosecutor told a judge during a court hearing last month.

Medina was a junior at Fresno State University, where he was studying psychology and social work. Marquez was a pre-med senior at UCLA.

Both men face one count of murder and two counts of first-degree burglary. Medina is also charged with arson.

Medina also faces a special-circumstance allegation that he committed murder while carrying out a burglary, and prosecutors could seek the death penalty if he is convicted.
    Lots of details in this article, which is super long. The two senior police officers, that failed to knock on her door after they were initially called out, were fired.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/03/us/ucl...sco/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    He left an apology note? Ok he's crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    that's what makes him crazy? I thought it was the chips.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    So two other college kids killed this girl? The fuck is going on out there in Cali?
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Now go fuck yourself.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Here is Andrea's FB: https://www.facebook.com/slamdrea

From the article RBW linked

They left six minutes after they arrived without knocking on any of the doors of the eight-unit complex, including the one directly beneath the 911 caller who said that's where she thought the screams were coming from.

It was a decision that would cost two LAPD officers their jobs and, possibly, a 21-year-old UCLA student named Andrea DelVesco her life.
    Six minutes. Fucking disgusting.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Seems she was absent from fb for about two years there. I still want to know why the fuck this happened and realllyyy want these no dick having little pricks to suffer a fate worse than death for what they did to her.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Now go fuck yourself.

My guess is that they went to rob the place, and when she was there they decided to rape her, and then killed her and burned her to cover evidence. They are not being charged with sexual assault, but since she was so burnt that they had to use dental records to identify her, I don't think semen would survive. Also, this quote from the CNN article backs up the sexual assault thing in my mind, and that they took a trophy:
    Detectives recovered of pair of women's underwear they suspect was taken from DelVesco's body along with bloody clothing and a bloody knife in a closet in Medina's Fresno apartment, according to court records.

Quote Originally Posted by leapfreak View Post

And typical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    Seems she was absent from fb for about two years there. I still want to know why the fuck this happened and realllyyy want these no dick having little pricks to suffer a fate worse than death for what they did to her.
    My guess is that she just upped her privacy on Facebook so it looks inactive to people who aren't her friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    And typical.
    SO TYPICAL. My friend who works for PMRT responded to a house call where a woman hadn't been seen for three weeks and flies were coming from the house. The cops had been called TWO WEEKS prior and claimed they did a full check but didn't see her.

SHE WAS SITTING ON THE LIVING ROOM COUCH, ROTTING. In plain sight.

http://dailybruin.com/2017/10/10/tri...-new-evidence/

Trial surrounding death of UCLA student postponed following new evidence

A judge postponed Tuesday the trial for two former college students charged for possible involvement in the murder of a UCLA student, after the defense attorney said she needs time to review evidence recently made available.
    Mark Windham, the judge presiding over the case, granted Werbel her request to postpone setting a trial date so she could have more time to review the new evidence and prepare a defense case for Medina. Victor Avila, the deputy district attorney prosecuting the case, said Windham already postponed setting a trial in June.

Werbel said she was still going through evidence, including surveillance footage at DelVesco’s apartment complex during the time of the incident, that could be vital to the case.

“I have to defend my client,” she said. “I have to give him due process.”

Windham said Medina and Marquez have a right to a speedy trial, and added their cases should have gone to trial earlier because the death penalty is not being considered as a possible punishment. Avila said in December the attorney’s office is not pursuing the death penalty for Medina.

Some of the evidence Werbel cited in her motion were confidential, so she presented them to Windham privately.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfreak View Post

Next time you need help, call a crackhead.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Thread Information