Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sam Poss (18) was murdered by two teenagers

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I don't buy that these guys were ever planning to kill themselves and just wanted to kill someone else first to see what it was like. If they had gotten away with killing Sam, I think they would have continued.
    I think Brandon would've gone along with the suicide pact. If they hadn't been caught, I could see them as being the next school shooters.

I saw that on our local news, this isn't to far from where I live. This may be the same link, if so, I'm sorry, still trying to learn the ropes here
    http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/da-...poss/376668307

Raised- this case bothers me too.

Sounds like the judge went- I ain't got time for your bullshat today. It's time for lunch. Not guilty.

Ergh

Could the not guilty plea mostly be so these f<ckers now have to have a trial instead of a hearing?

I didn't go through this thread until today and I had to stop reading. Just made me sick as Sam seems to represent what we all hope our children will become. Rest in peace, sweet soul.

Just curious, why is Dakota's head shaved and not Brandon's?

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Just curious, why is Dakota's head shaved and not Brandon's?
    Lice, maybe?

I've been looking at Sam's parents' Facebook pages. I'm pretty certain that I have had interactions with his mom when I went to Barnes & Noble. Also, his dad and I have 3 mutual friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Lice, maybe?
    I hadn't thought about that.
    He does look more like a choir boy now than in his mugshot.

Another Facebook page for Dakota.
    https://www.facebook.com/dakota.lamarwhite

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    See what happens people? Damn Mexicans.

Build that wall!
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Long time lurker here. Finally coming out of lurkdom because of this case.

This one hits very close to home and makes me a little sick to my stomach. Sam sounds just like my 15 year old son. Always eager to help other people and well liked by everyone who knows him. I hate that these scumbags took advantage of his helpful nature.

I will be keeping a close eye on this one and hoping for justice for Sam!!

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Missed this update back in the fall:

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/tri...ects/479596786
    I just wanted to say thank you for all the work you do updating these posts. You've brought many interesting threads up that I have missed over the years as well as updating so many for closure. Thanks again, RBW!

Trial started for Dakota White.

'Sam's not alive,' says accused teen on taped interview shown in Court Tuesday
    Two taped interviews conducted after Dakota White's arrest shown in court, explain White's version of events the weekend Poss was killed.
    Author: Jacob Reynolds
    Published: 12:56 PM EDT May 8, 2018
    Updated: 7:11 PM EDT May 8, 2018
    Dakota White is one of the two teens accused of killing Perry 18-year-old Samuel Poss in October 2016.

White is charged with malice murder, felony murder, two counts of aggravated assault, concealing the death of another and tampering with evidence.

May 8, 9:30 A.M.

Judge Edward Lukemire began the proceedings in Courtroom Four after swearing-in the jury.

Assistant District Attorney Greg Winters gave a six-minute opening argument in front of the jury.

In it, he talked about Samuel Poss' desire to enlist in the Navy and his talent with computers.

Winters then spoke about the days Poss was missing back in October 2016.

Finally, Winters said investigators' interviews with White would reveal what White says he did to Poss.

He told the jury the case would only last a few days.

Megan Allen, one of the assistant public defenders representing Dakota White, gave the defense's opening argument right afterward. It also lasted six minutes.

Allen said White was struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts and was in a dark place in October 2016.

Allen then said tips to Perry Police eventually led them to White several days after Poss was first reported missing, but emphasized that White was cooperative with authorities and did not flee or fight.

Allen mentioned White did not consent to searches.

She continued, telling the jury that White told investigators what happened and eventually led them to Poss' body.

Allen completed her opening argument by saying White's words started to bring closure to what had happened.

View image on Twitter
    View image on Twitter

Jacob Reynolds

@JRFromTheSouth
    Dakota White is now in the courtroom, trial expected to start at 9:30am @13wmaznews

9:27 AM - May 8, 2018
    See Jacob Reynolds's other Tweets
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    UPDATE -- May 8, 10 A.M.

Samuel Poss' father, Christian Poss, was called to the stand as the state's first witness.

Poss told Winters in court that after not finding Sam at the Fairgrounds, he decided to call police and report Sam as missing.

Poss revealed after Sam was first reported missing, he actually searched some area with White near White's home.

Winters had Poss show the jury a few locations on a large map highlighting the area near White's house.

View image on Twitter
    View image on Twitter

Jacob Reynolds

@JRFromTheSouth
    Sam's dad, Christian Poss, takes the stand as the state's first witness @13wmaznews

10:00 AM - May 8, 2018
    See Jacob Reynolds's other Tweets
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    UPDATE -- May 8, 10:15-11:45 A.M.

Both sides cross examined two Perry police investigators.

The two investigators showed audio and video recordings of their first interactions with White soon after Poss was reported missing.

In those recordings, White repeatedly told investigators Poss had come over to fix a computer issue and then left soon afterward.

White's defense team asked those investigators about statements other interviewees made that speculated Poss was potentially unhappy at home, and could have at first been suspected of being a runaway.

White's lead attorney, Angie Coggins, questioned Perry Police Detective Quridsha Gilliam last and asked if Gilliam was aware of White's depression and attempt at suicide. Gilliam said she was aware of it.

Coggins then asked Gilliam if she arrested White at the time without a warrant and if White was compliant when arrested. Gilliam said yes.

Lastly, Coggins asked Gilliam if she was aware White led investigators to Poss' body and 'tools' used in his death. Gilliam said she was aware of it.

Then, court broke for lunch.

UPDATE -- May 8, 2 P.M.

In a taped interview with Perry Police that investigators played in court on Tuesday, White says he and Warren were planning to commit suicide together after the killing.

White claims they went to pick Sam up late in the evening in mid-October and then claims Warren stabbed Poss three times.

In the video, White is asked why they picked Sam.

White says, "He was a nice guy." Adding, "He messaged right back," the night White claims the two messaged Poss asking for computer help.

White says they cleaned White's car of blood and burned some clothing that had blood on it, according to the taped interview.

The roughly 40 minute interview included portions where White said he held a cord around Poss' neck and when it broke, White says he used his arm instead.

During the recording, investigators asked White why it happened.

Perry Police Detective Quridsha Gilliam: "Y'all wanted to commit a double suicide but y'all wanted to--"

Dakota White: "Yeah, we just figured might as well, it came down to might as well see how it feels to kill someone before we kill ourselves. We didn't see no reason not to, we were about to die, what did we care for?"

In a second taped interview from the morning hours of October 20, 2018, White says it took a lot of effort to clean the blood from his car. He said on the tape he went to Walmart to buy cleaning supplies.

Winters also introduced the two knives recovered from where the two teenagers allegedly dumped them.

On the tape, and according to Detective Jason Jones testimony, the alleged killing took place in White's driveway as Poss sat in the front passenger seat of White's car.

In the second video, White also told investigators the two teens had tried to bury Poss' body but were unsuccessful.

White's defense team emphasized that White signed a document waiving his right to an attorney and cooperated with investigators, including bringing them to Poss' body and the two knives. Coggins also brought to the court's attention that White had attempted suicide a few weeks before the alleged crimes took place.

Coggins also pointed out White's emotion when he told investigators that Poss was dead during the taped interview.

UPDATE 4:15PM - MAY 8

After prosecutors questioned a GBI agent who photographed the scene where Poss' body was found, Judge Lukemire put the court in recess until Wednesday morning when the state will continue its case against White.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

This case is so sad and senseless. I hope they lock this guy up and throw away the key.

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...y/93-550329605

Jury finds one of the teens accused of killing Sam Poss guilty
    The jury deliberated for roughly 20 minutes before reaching a verdict
    Published: 11:59 AM EDT May 9, 2018
    Updated: 7:33 PM EDT May 9, 2018
    A Houston County jury has found Dakota White, one of the two teens accused of killing 18-year-old Sam Poss, guilty on all counts.

White was charged with malice murder, felony murder, two counts of aggravated assault, concealing the death of another and tampering with evidence.

RELATED: Father of Sam Poss reflects on his death a year later

RELATED: Perry investigator: Samuel Poss killing "really weird, disturbing"

RELATED: 'Sam's not alive,' says accused teen on taped interview shown in Court Tuesday

Prosecutors called two final witnesses Wednesday morning.

The first was an 18-year-old from St. Louis, Missouri who met White years ago while playing video games online.

In testimony, Chris Holman says he and White first met on an online gaming platform and never spoke face to face. Holman continued, saying he and White fell out of contact a few years later. Eventually, Holman says he tried finding White again and discovered he was in custody for the crimes.

Holman told the crowded courtroom that he wrote White a letter and included a telephone number. The two started communicating once again soon after.

Prosecutors then played two taped telephone conversations between Holman and White for the court.

In one of the calls, White says he, "Turned himself in." Later, Holman asks White if his computer was ever actually broken when he allegedly lured Poss to his home. White said no.

Prosecutors asked Holman if White ever showed remorse in those letters or phone calls, Holman said no.

White's attorneys did not question Holman.

A GBI medical examiner, Dr. Maryanne Gaffney-Kraft, told the courtroom Poss' death was primarily caused by strangulation along with stab wounds.

Kraft told the court Poss suffered from 11, "Sharp force injuries." She classified five of those as stab wounds.

Kraft also told jurors that she examined and eventually removed "Computer-type cords" from around Poss' neck, saying they were primarily responsible for Poss' death.

White's attorneys did not question Dr. Kraft.

Christian Poss, Sam's father, was in tears after Dr. Kraft's testimony.

After prosecutors rested their case, White's attorneys rested theirs immediately after.

After a short break, jurors returned to the courtroom to hear closing arguments from both sides.

Chief Assistant Public Defender Angie Coggins, White's lead defense attorney, expressed emotion to the jurors. She told them White was depressed and full of darkness in October 2016, mentioning his alleged struggles with suicidal thoughts.

"Dakota confessed, Dakota cracked the case, it was Dakota's own words that brought answers," Coggins told jurors.

At one point, Coggins was in tears.

"I cry for both of them," Coggins said, referencing Samuel Poss and Dakota White.

"What Dakota did was wrong, but at the end he did right," Coggins continued.

In the state's closing argument, lead prosecutor Greg Winters said White and Brandon Warren allegedly killed Poss in 2016 and dumped his body in woods near Perry.

Winters urged the jurors to send a message with their verdict.

"What Dakota did to sam Poss is not allowed," Winters told jurors in a silent courtroom.

Winters also questioned White's remorse, saying White repeatedly lied to investigators and misled Poss' family.

"He took Sam's father searching," Winters told jurors.

Judge Lukemire then explained the relevant legal statutes and charges to the jury before deliberation.

After just 20 minutes, jurors informed the court they had reached a verdict around 11:50 Wednesday morning.

Lukemire read the guilty verdict for all six charges.

Warren is scheduled to stand trial next week. White is expected to testify in the case.

White's sentencing will take place after Warren's trial concludes.

Neither prosecutors nor White's legal team would comment after the verdict was read.

Houston County District Attorney George Hartwig told 13WMAZ reporter Jacob Reynolds that since Dakota White was under the age of 18 at the time of the crime, they were not able to pursue the death penalty as a potential sentence in this case.

Hartwig said after discussing it with the Poss family, they decided not to pursue the death penalty with Brandon Warren either, even though he was 18 at the time the alleged crime was committed.

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...y/93-550329605

Jury finds one of the teens accused of killing Sam Poss guilty
    The jury deliberated for roughly 20 minutes before reaching a verdict
    Published: 11:59 AM EDT May 9, 2018
    Updated: 7:33 PM EDT May 9, 2018
    A Houston County jury has found Dakota White, one of the two teens accused of killing 18-year-old Sam Poss, guilty on all counts.

White was charged with malice murder, felony murder, two counts of aggravated assault, concealing the death of another and tampering with evidence.

RELATED: Father of Sam Poss reflects on his death a year later

RELATED: Perry investigator: Samuel Poss killing "really weird, disturbing"

RELATED: 'Sam's not alive,' says accused teen on taped interview shown in Court Tuesday

Prosecutors called two final witnesses Wednesday morning.

The first was an 18-year-old from St. Louis, Missouri who met White years ago while playing video games online.

In testimony, Chris Holman says he and White first met on an online gaming platform and never spoke face to face. Holman continued, saying he and White fell out of contact a few years later. Eventually, Holman says he tried finding White again and discovered he was in custody for the crimes.

Holman told the crowded courtroom that he wrote White a letter and included a telephone number. The two started communicating once again soon after.

Prosecutors then played two taped telephone conversations between Holman and White for the court.

In one of the calls, White says he, "Turned himself in." Later, Holman asks White if his computer was ever actually broken when he allegedly lured Poss to his home. White said no.

Prosecutors asked Holman if White ever showed remorse in those letters or phone calls, Holman said no.

White's attorneys did not question Holman.

A GBI medical examiner, Dr. Maryanne Gaffney-Kraft, told the courtroom Poss' death was primarily caused by strangulation along with stab wounds.

Kraft told the court Poss suffered from 11, "Sharp force injuries." She classified five of those as stab wounds.

Kraft also told jurors that she examined and eventually removed "Computer-type cords" from around Poss' neck, saying they were primarily responsible for Poss' death.

White's attorneys did not question Dr. Kraft.

Christian Poss, Sam's father, was in tears after Dr. Kraft's testimony.

After prosecutors rested their case, White's attorneys rested theirs immediately after.

After a short break, jurors returned to the courtroom to hear closing arguments from both sides.

Chief Assistant Public Defender Angie Coggins, White's lead defense attorney, expressed emotion to the jurors. She told them White was depressed and full of darkness in October 2016, mentioning his alleged struggles with suicidal thoughts.

"Dakota confessed, Dakota cracked the case, it was Dakota's own words that brought answers," Coggins told jurors.

"I cry for both of them," Coggins said, referencing Samuel Poss and Dakota White.

In the state's closing argument, lead prosecutor Greg Winters said White and Brandon Warren allegedly killed Poss in 2016 and dumped his body in woods near Perry.

Winters urged the jurors to send a message with their verdict.

"What Dakota did to sam Poss is not allowed," Winters told jurors in a silent courtroom.

Winters also questioned White's remorse, saying White repeatedly lied to investigators and misled Poss' family.

"He took Sam's father searching," Winters told jurors.

Judge Lukemire then explained the relevant legal statutes and charges to the jury before deliberation.

After just 20 minutes, jurors informed the court they had reached a verdict around 11:50 Wednesday morning.

Lukemire read the guilty verdict for all six charges.

Warren is scheduled to stand trial next week. White is expected to testify in the case.

White's sentencing will take place after Warren's trial concludes.

Neither prosecutors nor White's legal team would comment after the verdict was read.

Houston County District Attorney George Hartwig told 13WMAZ reporter Jacob Reynolds that since Dakota White was under the age of 18 at the time of the crime, they were not able to pursue the death penalty as a potential sentence in this case.

Hartwig said after discussing it with the Poss family, they decided not to pursue the death penalty with Brandon Warren either, even though he was 18 at the time the alleged crime was committed.

Didn't mean to double post. Either my computer or this website is not loading properly.

Well, that didn't take long. 20 minutes of deliberating. Good job jury!!

One down, one piece of shit to go.

...did he really not know it was being recorded, or is he just that dumb?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    ...did he really not know it was being recorded, or is he just that dumb?
    I'd go with the latter in this case.

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...e/93-590917880

'Irreparably corrupt:' Judge sentences Perry teen's killer to life without parole
    "The defendant is in fact, irreparably corrupt," said Judge Edward Lukemire during sentencing.

Author: Zach Merchant
    Published: 7:53 PM EDT September 4, 2018
    Updated: 8:53 PM EDT September 4, 2018

It's been nearly two years since Dakota White murdered Perry teen Sam Poss, but on Tuesday, Poss' family finally heard what punishment White will face.

RELATED: Samuel Poss killing "really weird, disturbing"

The court took two weeks to review evidence before announcing its decision, due to White being 17-years-old at the time of the crime.

RELATED: Second teen convicted of killing Sam Poss sentenced to life in prison

According to Houston County District Attorney George Hartwig, the state has to meet a higher-than-usual burden of evidence in order to sentence someone under the age of 18 to life without parole.

Houston County Superior Court Judge Edward Lukemire said the issue of whether White fit into "the narrow subset of juveniles" who deserve life without parole was at the heart of the hearing.

Lukemire handed down White's sentence.

"The defendant is in fact, irreparably corrupt, he exhibits irretrievable depravity which forecloses any reasonable prospects for rehabilitation," said Lukemire. "Sadly, he is permanently incorrigible. Accordingly, the defendant is sentenced to life without the possibility of parole."

White's public defender, Angie Coggins, argued that her client's young age and the remorse she said he showed after, meant he could rehabilitated.

RELATED: 'Jail is the best hotel I've been in:' State argues for no parole in sentencing of Poss killer
    https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...r/93-586904791

In her view, that meant he deserved a life sentence with the possibility of parole.

Coggins said Judge Lukemire's decision was disappointing.

"I have a hard time imagining that anyone could condemn forever a 17-year-old child," said Coggins.

Sam Poss's father, Christian Poss, said White got exactly what he deserved for what he called a "senseless" crime.

"You understand a sickness," he said. "You understand an accident, you even understand a robbery--but you don't understand just pure evil."

The Posses say they're as satisfied as they can be about the sentence, but it will never bring them closure.

"No matter what, we still don't have Sam back," said Christian.

Poss' mom, Nicole, says despite it all, they try to stay strong for their son.

"He was loved and he was loved by a lot of people, and he wouldn't forgive us for giving up on that love," said Nicole.

Even after Tuesday's decision, the Posses might not be done in court.

Immediately after Judge Lukemire handed down the sentence, Coggins objected to it.

Coggins said she'll file a motion for a new trial to keep White's "appeal rights alive," but wouldn't say whether an appeal for the sentence was imminent.

Coggins also said she would not be representing White if he chooses to appeal the verdict.

Hartwig said appeals are common in cases like this one.

According to him, after a motion for a new trial is filed, Judge Lukemire will review everything that happened during White's trial and sentencing.

If the judge doesn't find anything out of place and rejects the motion, Hartwig says White could then appeal his case to the Georgia Supreme Court.

Christian made it clear he hopes White doesn't go down that road.

"Everyone knows that the crime was committed and that the people are guilty, if you had even a modicum of decency you'd just stop and let everything happen," said Christian.
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-05-2018 at 05:21 PM.

Good. But it doesn't change much of anything, does it. This is one of my pet cases, one of the ones that really make me sad for both Sam and society. What a waste, and for what?

Yeah, it sux. Even the best possible victim outcome within the justice system never offers true justice or relief

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Yeah, it sux. Even the best possible victim outcome within the justice system never offers true justice or relief
    A million times this.

This case is horrific and it haunts me. Every fibre of my being wants the death sentence for these little twats right now. But I'm going to have an unpopular opinion here: I don't believe in sentencing any juvenile to life without the possibility of parole.

While the emotional side of me thinks they deserve to spend their life in prison (or worse), the rational side of me knows that neither of these boys will be the same person in 15-20 years. I raised two boys, I know this to be fact. These kids were in a dark, dark place as evidenced by their FB pages and they clearly didn't have much adult support. It doesn't seem like the adults in their lives were equipped to recognize and/or deal with a brooding, suicidal, and ultimately homicidal teenager.

Rehabilitation is allegedly the purpose of our criminal justice system. It should be the absolute focus of the juvenile criminal justice system. LWOPP doesn't allow that. I'm not saying no juvenile criminal should spend their life behind bars - Charles Manson and Jeffery Dahmer were darkly disturbed teenagers once, too. But when juveniles commit horrific crimes, the JCJS needs to step in and become the adult guidance these teens never had. It needs to teach them how to be decent, empathetic, human beings and productive members of society. Yeah, it sucks that an institution has to do that - and they'll never do it as well as Mom and Dad - but in most cases it's because their own families have failed to do so. Sometimes the families are supportive but fighting a broken mental health system - an issue separate from (but entrenched in) our broken justice system.

In an ideal system, as juvenile offenders mature and their brains fully develop, they would be given the opportunity to confront and resolve the issues that caused their behavior, heal and grow, and eventually come before a parole board and plead their case. Sadly, some will be lost causes and will spend their lives behind bars for the public good, but every case is different. To give a juvenile LWOPP is to literally throw them away as a life not worth saving, and I can't sanction that under any circumstances.

I know this is a really emotional case, so thanks in advance for any respectful debate.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 05-11-2020 at 09:49 AM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thread Information