Thread: Linda Carman (54) missing at sea, her son who is a person of interest in his Grandfather's murder, was found alive on a raft

Linda Carman (54) missing at sea, her son who is a person of interest in his Grandfather's murder, was found alive on a raft

I went back and forth over whether to put this in missing persons or under news/current events. I doubt they will ever find Linda, but since she is missing I will put it under the missing persons area for now. Pretty sure he killed his mom. Odd case.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nathan-c...-linda-carman/

Man rescued at sea explains what happened to missing mom

A man who was rescued after spending a week at sea in a life raft was debriefed by the Coast Guard Tuesday in Boston after the search for his mother was called off. Authorities also searched his home for clues.

Nathan Carman, 22, arrived safely at a Coast Guard base in Boston Tuesday morning, though his mother, Linda Carman, 54, has not been found and is presumed dead.

Outside his Vernon, Vermont, home, Carman told reporters on Wednesday that he?s been through ?a huge amount? emotionally, and he thanked the public for its ?concern and prayers.?

Exactly what happened to Linda Carman is not yet clear. CBS Boston reports a search warrant was executed Monday night at Nathan Carman?s Vernon, Vermont, home. Officers seized a modem, a Garman SIM card and a letter written by Nathan.

Nathan and his mother disappeared September 18 after leaving Point Judith, Rhode Island on a fishing boat named the Chicken Pox. A week later, the Coast Guard suspended their search for the pair.

After he was questioned Tuesday, Nathan left the Coast Guard base with his father.

The Carman family has had hard times. In 2013, Linda Carman?s father was found shot to death in his Windsor, Connecticut home. That crime remains unsolved. According to CBS Hartford affiliate WFSB, Nathan Carman was ?a primary person of interest? in the murder of his grandfather.

Nathan has Asperger?s syndrome, a higher-functioning form of autism.

Five years ago, he disappeared from his home, upset over the death of his horse, and was found days later in Virginia.

A police affidavit issued to obtain the search warrant of the Vermont home ?indicates that Linda and Nathan had different intentions as to the final destination of the fishing trip.?

Linda, it states, thought they were going 20 miles off shore. Nathan, according to people he spoke with before he left, had other plans to take them roughly 100 miles out. ?I thought he said the canyons which are off Block Island,? said Mike Iozzi who struck up a casual conversation with Nathan hours before he left the dock.

?I didn?t see him with fishing poles,? Iozzi told CBS Boston. ?I didn?t even see him with food.?

The affidavit also stated that Nathan?s boat was in need of mechanical repair.

On Sunday, Nathan was found drifting in an inflatable raft by the Chinese freighter Orient Lucky, about 100 nautical miles south of Martha?s Vineyard.

There was no mayday call and no radio transmission of any kind from the fishing boat, according to the Coast Guard. On Tuesday, the Coast Guard released audio of their conversation with Nathan after he was rescued by the freighter.

?Mom and I, two people, myself and my mom were fishing on Block Canyon,? Nathan said. ?There was a funny noise in the engine compartment, I looked and saw a lot of water.?

?I had my mom bring in the reel, I brought the safety stuff forward,? Nathan said. ?I was bringing one of the safety bags forward and the boat stopped out under my feet. When I saw the life raft, I did not see my Mom. Have you found her??

Coast Guard Search and Rescue Controller Richard Arsenault responded, ?No, we haven?t been able to find her yet.?

Nathan told Arsenault that after he got to the life raft, he began whistling and calling and did not see his mom.

Linda Carman had told her close friend that she and her son would take the boat out toward Block Island for an overnight fishing trip.

?I?m hoping for lots of answers,? said Sharon Hartstein, a family friend. ?I want to know if there?s still hope for Linda, I want to know where they were, and what happened.?

The Coast Guard does not believe that Linda Carman could still be alive, so the search for her was terminated.

Nathan survived with food and water in the raft, and was in good condition.

Coast Guard Petty Officer 3rd Class Nicole Groll said there are some lingering questions after an exhaustive search that failed to locate Nathan.

?He said his boat sunk off Block Canyon, and we scoured 62,000 nautical miles of sea,? she said. ?He was found in the search area, his boat went down in the search area. Why didn?t he see us? Why didn?t we see him??

?We want to know what we can do to make our search efforts better, so, god forbid there?s another person we?re searching for, we can do the very best we can to make sure that they?re found and brought home safely,? she added.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    He left an apology note? Ok he's crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    that's what makes him crazy? I thought it was the chips.

I screwed up the commas in the header. Oh well. I wanted to add this too.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/28...r-killing.html

Nathan Carman, the young man rescued in the Atlantic Ocean after floating on a life raft for a week, had been a suspect in the 2013 killing of his grandfather, deepening the mystery surrounding his ordeal and the apparent death of his mother at sea, the Hartford Courant reported Wednesday.

According to a search warrant for Carman's apartment obtained by the newspaper, Carman was the last person known to see his maternal grandfather, John Chakalos, alive on Dec. 20, 2013, when he had dinner with him at his home in Windsor. The 87-year-old Chakalos, a real estate developer, was found dead the next morning. He had been shot three times.

The Courant reported Tuesday that Windsor police submitted an arrest warrant for Carman to a prosecutor, but it was returned unsigned with a request for more information. Carman was not charged.

A will shows John Chakalos left an estate worth more than $42 million to his four adult daughters.

Carman told The Associated Press on Wednesday he had nothing to do with the death of his grandfather and didn't harm his mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

A will shows John Chakalos left an estate worth more than $42 million to his four adult daughters.

So...each daughter got a little over 10 mill a piece. Now mom's dead, so the son will get her portion?

Yeah, it's not suspicious at all.
    His boat was absolutely shit.
    http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...927-story.html
    Last edited by bermstalker; 09-29-2016 at 12:43 AM.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...G8J/story.html

As probe begins, boat sinking survivor defends vessel’s safety

The 22-year-old man who survived a week at sea after a boating tragedy that led to his mother’s presumed death said Wednesday that he believed his vessel was seaworthy and that a multistate criminal investigation into the fishing trip had compounded his grief.
    oh boo hoo

Authorities said Carman ventured some 80 miles farther out to sea than his mother, Linda, had expected. They are investigating whether Carman had made repairs to his 31-foot vessel that potentially made it unsafe.

At the Rhode Island marina where Carman set sail, a boater told authorities Carman had taken the unusual step of removing the boat’s trim tabs, which keep the vessel from listing.
    The records also allege that as a child Carman held another child hostage with a knife and that after his grandfather’s slaying some of his relatives were so fearful of him that they “hired armed private security to protect them in their homes.”

Carman said Wednesday he had nothing to do with his grandfather’s slaying and “it doesn’t feel good to be bringing up everything that I went through with the loss of my grandfather now at the same time that I’m trying to come to terms with the fact that my mom is really gone.”

Even tho I really think Nathan is responsible for both deaths- grandpa and mom- a boatmaster said what Nathan did is not really considered dangerous. It's unusual tho.

Here's a link that explains everything going on with this case. It seems Nathan's decline started over the death of his horse.
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...qJI/story.html

But Connors, who was involved in the initial search for the Carmans, said he does not believe the boat repairs Nathan Carman is said to have made would cause an immediate safety issue.

Investigators were told Carman removed trim tabs from his boat, records show. Trim tabs help with fuel efficiency and keep a boat from listing.

Removing them is unusual, but not inherently dangerous, said Gloucester Harbormaster Thomas Ciarametaro.

Ciarametaro said trim tabs are bolted on, so a boat owner would want to make sure the holes were filled securely to prevent leaks.

Carman filled the holes on his boat with a “marine-type adhesive,” according to court records. Ciarametaro said such substances are strong and reliable, but that he would use additional material to shore up his vessel.

Nathan Carman?s plan for a memorial service to honor his mother Linda Carman, who was lost at sea while on a fishing trip with him last month, has angered other families members still waiting for authorities to finish their investigation.

Nathan Carman, 22, has been calling friends of his grandparents, John and Rita Chakalos, in New Hampshire and family friends in West Hartford to invite them to a memorial service scheduled for Wednesday.

Details of the service are unclear but his attorney, Hubert Santos, confirmed this weekend that the 22-year-old is planning a memorial service at St. Thomas the Apostle Church in West Hartford.

?Nathan has not given up hope for his mother?s rescue. However, he also understands the difficult realities of the situation and that the Coast Guard stopped search-and-rescue operations last month,? Santos said. ?He believes that now is an appropriate time to begin the mourning process, and asks that the public and press respect his privacy during this trying time.?

But Nathan Carman apparently didn?t check with any of Linda Carman?s three sisters about the memorial, or invite them. The family has gotten calls from friends informing them that Nathan has called them about the memorial service. The friends have been asking the sisters if they are participating.

The sisters have hired the Boston law firm of Holland & Knight to represent them. Their attorney, Dan Small, issued a statement making it clear that the three sisters have nothing to do with the planned memorial, and indicating that they prefer to wait until police finish investigating the circumstances of the ill-fated fishing trip.

?Linda?s friends and family want to make clear that they are not involved in this event,? Small said. ?They believe that it is premature and inappropriate to stage this kind of an event when there is an ongoing investigation into Linda?s disappearance.?

Nathan Carman and his mother, Linda Carman, 54, of Middletown, were reported missing Sept. 18 while on a fishing trip. They left from South Kingstown, R.I., the day before in Nathan Carman?s 31-foot aluminum boat, The Chicken Pox. His mother is presumed dead.

Police from at least four states have been investigating the circumstances surrounding the boat?s sinking. They have obtained search warrants for Nathan Carman?s vehicle, cellphone and Vermont home. In those documents, they indicate they are investigating whether to charge him with ?operating (a boat) so as to endanger, resulting in death.?

Nathan Carman told Coast Guard officials that he and his mother were fishing in Block Canyon, south of Martha?s Vineyard, when he heard a funny noise coming from the engine and water rushing on the boat. Carman said he turned to grab an emergency bag and by then, the boat was sinking.

He swam to a raft that had automatically inflated and said he called out for his mother but didn?t see her.

He floated in the raft for eight days before a freighter called the Orient Lucky picked him up about 100 miles from Martha?s Vineyard. He spent two days on the freighter before he was turned over to the Coast Guard.

Carman wrote the ship?s captain, Hengdong Zhao, a thank you note in which he described what his mother meant to him: ?If my mom is lost, which I fear is likely, I will have no one on Earth who will welcome me sincerely into their home,? he wrote.

A potential rift between Nathan Carman and his relatives started when his grandfather, John Chakalos, was killed in December of 2013. Windsor police tried to obtain an arrest warrant to charge Nathan Carman with the murder but were unsuccessful.

As with his mother, Nathan Carman is believed to have been the last person to see his grandfather alive when he had dinner with him the night before his body was found by one of his daughters. Chakalos was shot three times in the head.

Nathan Carman has denied any involvement in his grandfather?s death, saying the two were extremely close.

?He loved me very dearly,? Carman said of Chakalos. ?I was like a son to him; he was like a father to me.?

Chakalos? probate estate, filed in New Hampshire, shows that he had assets of $44 million. A judge recently accepted a final total of about $21 million to be distributed among his daughters, the four sisters. A judge has not approved the final distribution of the estate.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/man...ers/ar-AAjjbHV
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

This dude.
    How f'ing tacky. I bet it won't be long before he has her declared dead.

“A funeral or memorial service in Catholic Church indicates that a body and death certificate is available in a case,” said Director of Communications for the Archdiocese of Hartford, Maria Zone.
    In the case of Linda Carman, presumed lost at sea, no such documentation is available, therefore neither service can be held, said Zone.
    http://www.wfsb.com/story/33455877/n...r-linda-carman

Who the hell names a boat The Chicken Pox??

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    This dude.
    How f'ing tacky. I bet it won't be long before he has her declared dead.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/33455877/n...r-linda-carman
    Isn't there a mandatory wait period (several years) to declare missing people dead? If they make him wait for the money I bet he looses his shit.

The family of a 23-year-old man who was found after seven days missing at sea is trying to prevent him from inheriting millions following his wealthy grandfather’s homicide.

Attorneys for the aunts of Nathan Carman filed a petition Monday that alleges he killed his grandfather “out of malice and greed” and asks the court to block the sizeable inheritance he now stands to gain.

The petition, which lists the three sisters of Nathan’s mother, Linda Carman, as petitioners, is known as a “slayer action,” which seeks to prohibit a person from receiving an inheritance from someone they killed. The filing points the finger at Nathan for his grandfather’s killing, asking the court to “declare that the murderer was Nathan Carman.”

Rescued boater Nathan Carman says he 'wasn't responsible' for mom's death
    Reporter's notebook: What it was like to interview rescued boater Nathan Carman
    John Chakalos, an 87-year-old real estate mogul who owned a number of nursing homes across New England, was found shot to death in his Windsor, Connecticut, home in 2013. Nathan is the last known person to see his grandfather alive.

Nathan was also the last person to see his mother before she disappeared at sea last year. Nathan and Linda Carman were first reported missing Sept. 18, 2016, after they failed to return from a fishing trip off the Rhode Island coast in his boat named “Chicken Pox.”

Nathan was rescued a week later from a life raft more than 100 nautical miles from Martha’s Vineyard. Linda has never been found. Nathan claims the boat sank after rapidly taking on water and that he never saw his mother as he entered the life raft, which was enclosed and stocked with food and water.

The lawsuit is the first time the Chakalos sisters have publicly accused their nephew in the killing. Nathan has never been charged in either his grandfather’s homicide or his mother’s disappearance, though police have called him the prime suspect in the former case.

In an exclusive interview with ABC News’ Linzie Janis, Nathan denied any involvement in his grandfather’s death, saying “he was like a father to me.” Nathan also claimed he did nothing to intentionally sink the boat with his mother on board.

However, an investigation by an insurance company blamed Nathan for the incident, claiming he took “intentional” actions that caused the boat to sink.

The lawsuit asks for Nathan’s inheritance to be placed into a trust that would be controlled by his aunts. However, the action is about justice rather than money, according to their attorney. “The surviving sisters cannot stand idle while their father's killer, and perhaps their sister's killer also, profits from his actions,” said Dan Small in a statement.

Should they win the case, Small says the sisters plan to use the money to pay for expenses related to the investigations into the death of their father and disappearance of their sister, with the rest going to charity.

Attorneys for Nathan Carman did not respond to a request for comment.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/rescued-boa...ry?id=48680150

God this guys is such an evil douche.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Nathan Carman — the Vermont man who is a suspect in his grandfather’s killing and whose mother disappeared at sea under mysterious circumstances — now stands accused of enlarging four holes in the doomed boat that sank with him and his mom on board, according to court documents.

“In removing his boat’s trim tabs hours before departing on its final voyage, Carman not only failed to properly seal four thru-hull holes he thereby opened at the transom’s waterline ... but two recent depositions establish Carman enlarged those four holes,” wrote David J. Farrell Jr., an attorney for the company that insured Carman’s boat.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/loc..._disappearance

There's a lot more information at that link.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/bus...191646469.html

Documents to remain sealed in lawsuit over mystery deaths

A New Hampshire judge has ruled that several documents can remain sealed in a lawsuit that aims to prevent a Vermont man from inheriting money from the millionaire grandfather the family says he killed.

The order was issued Friday in connection with a July lawsuit accusing Nathan Carman of being responsible for the 2013 death of John Chakalos.

The family argued unsealing certain documents would impede the investigation into Nathan Carmen.

They also allege Carman killed his mother, Linda Carman. Nathan Carman has denied any wrongdoing. He's never been charged.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/29...ssing-gun.html

An insurance company has asked a federal judge to force a man to discuss what happened to a missing gun that matches the caliber of the gun used to kill his millionaire grandfather.

In a separate case, the insurance company is seeking to avoid payment on an $85,000 policy for a boat Carman was on when he and his mother went missing at sea in 2016. His mother, Linda Carman, is presumed dead. He was found on a life raft seven days after his boat sank off the coast of Martha's Vineyard, a Massachusetts island near Cape Cod.
    The motion includes documents from the U.S. Coast Guard related to the search for Nathan and Linda Carman after his boat, the Chicken Pox, was reported missing on Sept. 16, 2016.

A family member told the Coast Guard she believed Nathan Carman killed his grandfather and stood to inherit his mother's share of an estate valued at up to $40 million, including a $5 million home.

Linda Carman's three sisters, Nathan Carman's aunts, have sued in New Hampshire to try to block him from collecting the inheritance.

Thread Information