Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Jessica Runion's (21) remains were found with another skeleton that is thought to be that of Kara Kopetsky (17), and Kylr Yust (28) is the main suspect in both deaths

https://www.kshb.com/news/crime/kylr...t-for-november

On Monday the families of Kara Kopetsky and Jessica Runions learned the man accused of killing them, Kylr Yust, will not go on trial for at least another year.

There was an audible gasp from the families in the courtroom when the defense attorney first said she wouldn't be ready until the fall of next year.

The families were visibly upset following Monday's hearing. They have been asked not to comment at the request of the prosecutor's office.

In the court, Yust's public defender, Sharon Turlington, said she's booked with other trials through September 2019.

Turlington added she has to review at least 12,000 pages of documents and hours of video.

The Cass County prosecutor agreed and said they'll need at least eight days to go over evidence once the trial begins.

Jury selection will begin Oct. 31, 2019. Attorneys for both sides agreed in September that the trial will take place in Cass County, but the jury will be with residents from St. Charles County across the state.

The trial itself is set to begin Nov. 4, 2019. They've blocked out two weeks for the trial.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news...l-set-for-july

The murder trial for Kylr Yust, the man accused of killing two Cass County women nearly a decade apart, has been set for July.

At a hearing on Thursday morning, a Cass County judge scheduled jury selection in Yust’s trial to begin July 22. Jurors in the trial will come from St. Charles County outside St. Louis.

Opening statements and testimony in his trial will begin on July 27.

Also Thursday, a judge set an evidence hearing for Jan. 21 to discuss additional DNA testing that Yust’s attorneys have requested.

His defense filed a motion this week asking for the remains of Kara Kopetsky and Jessica Runions to be turned over for retesting. The attorneys also asked to independently examine hair recovered from a white SUV searched in January 2013 by the FBI.

In court on Thursday, prosecutors expressed concerns over the accreditation of the laboratory the defense wants to use to test the remains.

Yust was originally scheduled to go on trial in November, but discovery issues prompted a delay in the proceedings.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...243087276.html

Attorneys for a Kansas City man charged with killing two women say reports found when police were cleaning out an old desk at the Belton Police Department included undisclosed information about another suspect.

In court filings, Kylr Yust’s public defenders said the reports, which police recently turned over to prosecutors, detailed circumstances of a witness providing information in 2013 about another suspect, whose car was later searched by the FBI.

“The police failed to fully investigate the information provided and never even attempted to interview the suspect and other witnesses named in the reports,” the attorneys wrote.

Also found in the desk was a recording of a suspect who confessed to multiple people that he killed Kara Kopetsky, one of the women Yust is accused of murdering, according to the motion. His attorneys received that recording in April, they wrote.
    At least four people over the years told investigators that Yust confessed to them that he choked Kopetsky — who police said was last seen alive leaving Belton High School — until she stopped breathing.

Police said Runions was last seen leaving a gathering with Yust. Witnesses told authorities Yust was drinking heavily and arguing with Runions at the party, according to charging documents.

Earlier this week, Yust’s attorneys filed a motion to push back his scheduled July 22 trial. They said they needed more time to investigate alternative suspects, among other things.

Yust’s defense team also said they have identified witnesses who saw Kopetsky after she was reported missing May 4, 2007. They said that testimony would disprove a key element of the state’s case against Yust.

They found two (unrelated) male bodies while they were searching. One was 21yo Brandon Herring. Considering the age group, I wonder if Kylr was responsible for that death too? Probably not or he would have left him in the mushroom field with Jessica and Kara.

And how does one pronounce "Kylr" anyway? Is it Killer or Kyler?
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

It's like Kyler, but Killer obviously works too.

So they're going all out and fighting that he's not the one who killed Kara. Let's go with that...he's the last person to be seen with her, but someone else killed her. She's found later with the remains of another girl that he was last seen with. So he's either one unlucky person or someone has it out for him if that's their defense, right? No idea why he can't be like "fuck, you guys finally caught me even though I've been bragging about it for years anyway. good job." I know that'll never happen but come the fuck on, everyone knew before they were found anyway. He'll have to be pretty damn lucky to get away with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    It's like Kyler, but Killer obviously works too.

So they're going all out and fighting that he's not the one who killed Kara. Let's go with that...he's the last person to be seen with her, but someone else killed her. She's found later with the remains of another girl that he was last seen with. So he's either one unlucky person or someone has it out for him if that's their defense, right? No idea why he can't be like "fuck, you guys finally caught me even though I've been bragging about it for years anyway. good job." I know that'll never happen but come the fuck on, everyone knew before they were found anyway. He'll have to be pretty damn lucky to get away with it.
    Right? And he's bragging like a tough guy until he gets caught, now he's running scared and denying it.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

https://www.kmbc.com/article/motion-...ouri/35743052#

The push by Kylr Yust’s attorneys to get two murder charges against him dropped failed Friday in a Cass County courtroom.
    Advertisement

Yust’s attorneys argued police did not do enough to investigate other suspects in the disappearance of Kara Kopetsky and Jessica Runions, but Judge William Collins swiftly denied the motion after hearing the motion.

Yust is charged with murdering both girls.
    In separate documents, Yust's attorneys asked for a dismissal of the case, alleging police failed to investigate several key items of evidence.

They accused a Kansas City, Missouri police officer of tainting evidence and witnesses in the case since he investigated Yust on his off time and away from direct supervision.

Jury selection in St. Charles County, Missouri, is scheduled to begin at the end of March.

As the case stands, jurors will travel from St. Charles to hear arguments in Cass County. A court calendar lists the trial's start date as April 5.

This guy needs to be locked away for good. I am glad no judge has given into his attorneys attempts to drop charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant Toaster View Post
    This guy needs to be locked away for good. I am glad no judge has given into his attorneys attempts to drop charges.
    Me too. He thinks he can charm, schmooze or threaten his way out of everything, but I am glad no judge has bought his BS.

Yust’s attorneys argued police did not do enough to investigate other suspects in the disappearance of Kara Kopetsky and Jessica Runions
    Seriously? lol I get with Kara there could be some doubt, plenty of people are "last seen" with someone and didn't do it. But last seen with both of them AND both bodies are found together, literally no one else could have done it. (okay, maybe like a less than 1% chance someone else did it...but I highly doubt it) I don't know why this one gets me so worked up, I think because I remember all the Kara investigation shows I watched when I first started getting into this kind of stuff and all the stuff I read about him at parties and shit.

Does he really think anyone will find him innocent though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    Seriously? lol I get with Kara there could be some doubt, plenty of people are "last seen" with someone and didn't do it. But last seen with both of them AND both bodies are found together, literally no one else could have done it. (okay, maybe like a less than 1% chance someone else did it...but I highly doubt it) I don't know why this one gets me so worked up, I think because I remember all the Kara investigation shows I watched when I first started getting into this kind of stuff and all the stuff I read about him at parties and shit.

Does he really think anyone will find him innocent though?
    Kara was one of the first stories I really got into too, and I watched all the shows on her. They really kind of insinuated that she ran away. It makes me mad to think about it now.

It's finally starting!

https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/ju...sas-city-area/

Prospective jurors sat in a church gymnasium in St. Charles Tuesday morning for an upcoming trial about a double murder on the other side of the state.

The case is years in the making and the publicity so intense, a Cass County judge has sent attorneys here to find an impartial jury. The judge denied a change of venue motion filed by defense attorneys but will be bringing in jurors from St. Charles County. Attorneys say the judge hopes this will bring fairness to the case.
    Attorneys had to travel 270 miles for jury selection inside a gymnasium at St. Peter Catholic Church. Attorney Phil Lavota, who has been following the case, analyzed the legal hurdles both sides could face.

“Juror selection was important thing for the defense in this case, because it was highly publicized for more than a decade around the KC area,” Lavota said. “The defense thought the jurors had their minds made up. So, a change of venue takes the entire case to Cass County.”

Over the last couple of days, more than 120 people spent the day going through questions while Yust sat through the proceedings and watched.

“The presiding judge thought it was best to go to St. Charles and get some jurors that have not heard anything about the case and select them in St. Charles, move them back to Cass County, and that same judge that’s presiding over everything will still be over the case and preside,” Lavota said.

Thread Information