Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mark and Jacoba Tromp - missing since 30 August 2016

Yea i kinda get the feeling if they all would of stayed together, this would of been a story in a different section of this website. Im glad they all seem ok, hopefully dad shows up soon. I hope he hasnt done anything else stupid.

I just had a look at Wangaratta weather and it's still really cold there at night. Gets down to about 4 celcius, 39 Fahrenheit. If he has been out there since Wednesday night with no supplies (now Friday morning), id be surprised if he can survive much longer or if he is even still alive.

Family who lives on farm all lose it at the same time?

How bout ergot poisoning?

Sounds like the dad and mom both have some type of mental issue going on. Maybe mom just feeds off dad's weird behavior??? It's odd that they left their house in a mess before they left tho.

It also sounds like the kids got pissed off at different points in the trip and bailed. I bet dad kicked them out of the car at different points. Could explain why Riana was found by the road in distress.

"When I see them," said Yarra Valley policeman Sergeant Mark Knight, referring to the bizarre tale around Silvan farming family the Tromps, people he knows well, "I'll sit them down and ask: 'What the hell happened there?'"

In a strange and escalating chain of events with no real clues of what might have led there, four members from the family of five emerged from an ill-fated road-trip north cloaked in mystery and mounting concerns from family and police.

"It's out of character," said George Tromp, father of missing man Mark Tromp and grandfather to his shell-shocked children. "He's just a normal bloke like me."

Mr Tromp was last seen running away from the ditched family Peugeot in Wangaratta. A young couple who were out in their own car playing Pokemon Go on Wednesday night, after 10pm, says he "stalked" them.

"I could barely see his headlights because he was that close to my car," said the young man, who asked not to be named. Whenever he pulled over, the Peugeot stopped right behind them. Then the man they insist was Mr Tromp got out and ran towards them, but stopped in the middle of the road and stared. They watched him walk into Wangaratta's Merriwa Park and disappear into the night.

Police believe he had changed his clothes. He left the keys in the Peugeot's ignition.

His wife Jacoba Tromp, 53, is in hospital in Yass, NSW ? near Canberra - after being found wandering in an agitated state on Thursday. She had caught public transport, a train or a bus, from Wangaratta on her own.

Prior to all this, children Ella, 22, Riana, 29 and Mitchell Tromp, 25, separately escaped the road-trip, starting on Tuesday. Riana was found distressed beside a highway near Goulburn and is now in Goulburn District Hospital. Ella drove a car back to the family home in the Yarra Valley from Goulburn - a car she did not hire. The silver Peugeot the family set out in is hers.

Mitchell had got out of the car at Kelso, a suburb of Bathurst. He caught trains to Sydney then back to Melbourne. The children have suggested their parents had become more and more anxious and panicked on their way out of Victoria.

Mitchell said there was a "build-up" of pressure that had caused his parents to become "paranoid", thinking they were being followed. He said the road-trip was supposed to be technology-free. He had brought his mobile phone, but threw it out the car window in Warburton.

"It slowly got worse as the days went by. They were just fearing for their lives, and then [we] decided to flee." Their parents pushed on to Jenolan Caves, then Wangaratta, where they were seen together at a shopping mall. Police believe they separated again after this sighting and may be suffering from mental health issues.

However Sergeant Mark Knight of Monbulk is baffled. He knows the family and say they have no diagnosed mental health problems, or drug issues. No-one in the family has accessed a doctor or psychologist recently, or been issued a prescription, he says. They do not belong to any churches, or sects and do not have debts.

Two of the children live at home and all three work seven days a week in the family's successful businesses ? a berry farm and an earthmoving company. Daughter Ella has her own company as well supplying trucks and drivers to Yarra Valley farms.

The family moved to Silvan from nearby Macclesfield 10 years ago. Mr Tromp's brother Ken is a police sergeant in Monbulk and is believed to be helping in the search for his brother.

"I am asking myself 'what is going on?'," said Sergeant Knight. "It's a mystery. But there's nothing sinister."

Sergeant Knight said when he checked their home after the first reports of Riana being found near Goulburn, the house was open and keys were in car ignitions, but there was no sign of any struggle.

"This is just a massive melt-down, I'm sure of it. Something triggered them."

Timeline

Monday, August 29: The Tromps leave the family home in Ella's Peugot to go on a technology-free road trip. During the course of the drive, it's discovered Mitchell has brought his phone with him. He throws it out of the window near Warburton, about 32 kilometres from the family home. The family continues driving towards Bathurst.

Tuesday, August 30: Mitch decides he wants to go home. He leaves the family at Kelso, a suburb of Bathurst, about 7am and makes his way to Sydney.

The rest of the family continue on to the Jenolan Caves. That afternoon, they decide to split up. Ella and Riana make their way to Goulburn, but go their separate ways. Riana is found along the highway and is taken to the local hospital due to stress-related issues. Ella somehow acquires a car and drives back to the family home. Parents Mark and Jacoba are reported missing, and that afternoon police attend the family home to find credit cards and mobile phones lying around the house, and car keys in ignitions.

Wednesday, August 31: Mitchell arrives at the family home in the morning after catching the overnight train from Sydney. That afternoon, police search the Jenolan Caves area for Mark and Jacoba, but are unable to find them.

Thursday, September 1: Police are notified in the early hours of the morning that the family car has been located in Wangaratta and that a lone man was seen running the vehicle. It is believed this man was Mark. Later in the day, Jacoba presents herself to Yass District Hospital after a local found her wandering around town. Police continue to look for Mark during the evening, and have no reason to believe he has left the Wangaratta area.
    http://www.smh.com.au/national/bizar...01-gr6ujf.html

I def. think dad threw her out of the car.
    THE intrigue and mystery surrounding the Tromp family has deepened as it emerged that daughter Riana Tromp was found near “catatonic” in the back of a stranger’s ute.
    The 29-year-old was found in the ute in Goulburn on Tuesday — the same day her family’s lives began to unravel with her parents, Mark and Jacoba Tromp, going missing from a family getaway because of their increasingly bizarre behaviour.
    Riana Tromp was found in the back seat of Keith Whittaker’s ute, while he was driving, after feeling a kick to the back of the drivers seat.
    He pulled over and called police.
    “Until the police arrived, she mostly sat and stared straight ahead as if she was catatonic. They arrived about an hour later and took her back to Goulburn Police Station,” Mr Whittaker told the Goulburn Post.
    http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-...99f653b5115aaa
    Keith Whittaker was heading to a doctor's appointment in the Australian state of Canberra on Tuesday when he realised he was not alone.

"I felt a kick to the back of my seat. I turned around and saw two legs stretched across the back between my seat and the floor," Whittaker told the Goulburn Post.

"She was lying on the floor.

"She did not know her name and had no idea where she was."
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/austral...-where-she-was
    Last edited by bermstalker; 09-02-2016 at 12:49 AM.

This is so weird.....I can't stop thinking about this family! I read they found the older daughter who was hospitalised in a catatonic state in the back of a guys ute....then they said she was found by the road...either way, I think it's really unlikely that three members of the same family would be having experiencing a serious mental health episode at the same time!..Im sure there is much more to the story that is already known.

Apparently it's been suggested that the family are experiencing 'folie a deux' or shared psychosis. Basically they all went nuts at the same time. Same as the Erikson twins who ran into traffic at the same time

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursu...abina_Eriksson

Police are also investigating whether Mr Tromp broke into a motel in Wangaratta last night.

Owners at the motel on Wangaratta Road found a door ajar to one of the rooms this morning, and realised one of the beds had been slept in.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...nt-to-be-found

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Jezus ~ it is just getting odder and odder as the days go by. I wonder if they were drugged (as in the husband drugged them). It is just really bizarre for all of them to breakdown like that...but stranger things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Apparently it's been suggested that the family are experiencing 'folie a deux' or shared psychosis. Basically they all went nuts at the same time. Same as the Erikson twins who ran into traffic at the same time

The greatest story of all time.

The Erikson twins. What an awesome story. That was some crazy shit for sure.

This story here is fascinating. I can't wait to come in and see the new updates. I wonder what happened??

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Not just dad & mum. I'm still going with ergot or some other poisonous substance they came into contact with on the farm.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...idden-ute.html

Man finds disorientated daughter of missing Victorian couple hiding in the back of his ute - and she didn't even know her own name when he questioned her

Riana Tromp, 29, the eldest of the three Tromp children, was found hiding in the back seat of a man's ute on Tuesday at 11am - the day after her terrified family left Victoria.

Goulburn man Keith Whittaker found the confused young woman when she kicked the back of his seat as he stopped for petrol on his way to a doctors appointment, the Goulburn Post reported.
    'I turned around and saw two legs stretched across the back between my seat and the floor. She was lying on the floor,' Mr Whittaker said.
    'About 20 minutes later the young woman sat up and was staring straight ahead. I asked her who she was and if she was all right? She did not know her name and had no idea where she was.

& the other sister stole a ute at Jenolan Caves - that's how she got home. The brother threw his ph out the family car window when they were still with their parents.

They've all got varying levels of crazy but if they had ergot come into contact with food, that's exactly what would happen depending on how much they all ingested.

- or inhaled, other moulds can do terrible things to brain function too, & farms are THE place to find them, ergot especially. It's common enough to have the name "ergotism"
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-02-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Why was the phone thrown out of the car, did the dad throw it out or make the son? I think everything points to the parents, but then the mom became afraid of Mark and escaped. I think the kids escaped too as opposed to just leaving because of stress, I think the kids would be worried and stay with the parents to make sure they were OK. The stuff at home looks like someone didn't think they'd be returning.

http://www.news.com.au/national/is-t...2f9b21bce007d6

It seemed like the mother and father were together in all this so wondering how and when they were separated.

Just an article, son denies the family shares a mental illness
    http://www.news.com.au/national/vict...84e310c3f6d96e

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Police are also investigating whether Mr Tromp broke into a motel in Wangaratta last night.

Owners at the motel on Wangaratta Road found a door ajar to one of the rooms this morning, and realised one of the beds had been slept in.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...nt-to-be-found
    There is so much WTF in this story that I don't know where to begin. A roofing tile? Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    There is so much WTF in this story that I don't know where to begin. A roofing tile? Wow.
    ??? Are you talking about the person throwing roof tiles at police? If so, different story, not related to this family.

I can see the 'folie a deux' scenerio. Years ago, when I was living with a boyfriend, I had everyone in the house convinced that there was a lice infestation. We de-loused the whole place (carpet, bedding, etc.) and ourselves, buying all sorts of different cleaning products, only to find out that I was allergic to his deodorant soap that we used in the shower. It seems funny to us now, but not at the time.

??? Are you talking about the person throwing roof tiles at police? If so, different story, not related to this family.
    Oops. I quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote the one that mentioned the crazy Sisters

Father found alive in Wangaratta. Wtf. Lol

BREAKING: Mark Tromp has been found off Greta Rd near Wangaratta Airport. Is now at police station. @bordermail @theage

The case bears many hallmarks of a rare psychiatric condition known as folie ? deux, a French term meaning “madness of two” which almost always occurs in close-knit families, between husband and wife and between siblings.
    The syndrome can be shared by more than two people — folie ? trois, folie ? quatre, folie en famille or even folie ? plusieurs — which translates as “madness of many”.
    The term was originally coined to describe the case of a French married couple, Margaret and Michael, who began exhibiting paranoid and delusional behaviour.

Doctors were unable to establish which of the two was the first to become psychotic but they worked out that the couple had fallen into a cycle of reinforcing each other’s delusions.
    They shared the unfounded belief that their home was being targeted by random people. These unidentified individuals did not steal or damage, rather, they spread dust around the house, scattering lint everywhere as they walked in the couple’s shoes as they slept.
    The only factors that need to be present in a case of folie ? deux are a hard-to-break attachment and social isolation.
    There have been several famous cases of folie ? deux, including the 2008 case of Swedish twins Ursula and Sabina Eriksson, who were notoriously captured on CCTV running through traffic in Liverpool, England as they fled from non-existant assailants who they believed were trying to harvest their organs.
    In 2010, US actor Randy Quaid and his wife Evi were arrested in Canada in a psychotic and delusional state after attempting to seek asylum for from a group of assassins called the “star whackers,” whom they believe responsible for the deaths of Heath Ledger and David Carradine.
    It seems the folie a deux is suspected as this family's issues.
    This article also states that the home was more like "Hoarders" with piles and piles of documents/papers everywhere.
    http://www.news.com.au/national/is-t...2f9b21bce007d6

n internal document circulated among NSW police warned the family of five may be suffering from group delusional schizophrenia after they hurriedly fled their Victorian home on Tuesday, amid apparently unfounded fears for their lives.

There has also been speculation they may be suffering from a rare psychiatric condition known as folie ? deux, a French term meaning "madness of two" which almost always occurs in close-knit families, between husband and wife and between siblings.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=11703386
    Last edited by bermstalker; 09-03-2016 at 01:44 AM.

I'm calling it. My favourite story of 2016.

NEED. DETAILS.

This is so fucked up and even stranger now that his wife and daughter are in the hospital. What could have happened to cause the daughter to become catatonic? What is this 'stress related illness' that the father has as well? I hope we find out what took place. I'm afraid it might become a 'private family matter' though.

Thread Information