Thread: Gene Wilder, star of 'Willy Wonka' dies at age 83

Gene Wilder, star of 'Willy Wonka' dies at age 83

ctor Gene Wilder, who starred as Willy Wonka in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, has died aged 83, according to his family.

Wilder died in his Connecticut home of complications from Alzheimer's disease, Variety reported citing his nephew Jordan Walker-Pearlman. Wilder's Alzheimer's diagnosis was kept private until his death.

"We understand for all the emotional and physical challenges this situation presented we have been among the lucky ones ? this illness-pirate, unlike in so many cases, never stole his ability to recognise those that were closest to him, nor took command of his central-gentle-life affirming core personality," Mr Walker-Pearlman's statement read.

"The decision to wait until this time to disclose his condition wasn't vanity, but more so that the countless young children that would smile or call out to him 'there's Willy Wonka,' would not have to be then exposed to an adult referencing illness or trouble and causing delight to travel to worry, disappointment or confusion.

"He simply couldn't bear the idea of one less smile in the world."

Wilder's career included roles in Mel Brooks classics including The Producers and Blazing Saddles, and he was twice nominated for an Oscar for the former role.

Brooks has paid tribute to his friend in a tweet remembering his "magic".

Wilder was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 1989, Variety reported.

His agent told AFP he could not immediately confirm the report.

Get breaking news alerts when a major story happens near you by downloading the 9NEWS Alerts app, available on iPhone and Android.

This is a breaking news story. More detail will be added shortly.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/entertainmen...atpyD8tK3hs.99

Super sad about his one.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

I completely understand the decision to not disclose his health status. It's terrible to lose yet another great actor.

Ugh, such a terrible disease. And it's good to hear it didn't debilitate him completely.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Awwwww. I loved him. But he's with Gilda now. He never really recovered from losing her. Together again
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Yeah, this one sucks. Loved him in so many things he had done. Alzheimer's sucks ass.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

They loved each other so much. I was broken hearted for him when he lost her.

It's strange I just googled his name 2 days ago to see what he was up to.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

Quote Originally Posted by puke View Post
    It's strange I just googled his name 2 days ago to see what he was up to.

I did recently, too, after watching Blazing Saddles for the millionth time.

He was one of my favorites. Always has been and always will be.

He and Dudley Moore were two actors I always loved, because they weren't your typical "handsome" leading men. They were funny, awkward guys that weirdos like me could always relate to. It was great seeing them "get the girl" as it's said. It gave me hope. :)

Alzheimers' searches went up since Mr. Wilder died. I think the more people that are aware, the better.
    Alzheimers is something I didn't know anything about (except from the movie The Notebook) until it affected my life.

It's easy to see the little things after a person has been diagnosed with it, but mostly it something you just chalk up to "old age" when the little events start to happen. Like forgetting a family recipe, working a remote control/tv, phone numbers that you used to call all the time, bills, etc.......

As a family member dealing with a relative with this disease- it's frustrating and heartbreaking at the same time. It's really hard living the same day over and over again. Sometimes you get a hopeful breakthrough....then it's gone just as quick as it came.

Searches for 'how do people die of alzheimers' went up 650 per cent.
    Alzheimer's sufferers typically die from complications related to the disease.
    The disease itself is an incurable degenerative condition, which kills cells in the brain.
    It can last for 15 to 20 years, but the most advanced stages usually last around two years.

Over time, patients lose their natural reflexes that keep us alive, such as swallowing, coughing, and breathing.
    They also lose their appetite, their speech, and their ability to move independently.
    The most common cause of death is aspiration pneumonia, which can lead to a seizure or a stroke.
    This can be caused by a patient forgetting to chew or losing the ability to swallow, inhaling food instead.

The food or liquid then deposits itself in the lungs, which should normally only contain oxygen.
    A healthy body could shift the food with a strong cough.
    However, Alzheimer's patients may have a decreased level of consciousness alerting them to do this.
    Another common cause of death is heart attack.
    As Alzheimer's patients lose their ability to move freely, they often become bedbound.
    This can lead to blood clots and poor heart health, which drives up the risk of a coronary arrest.
    The third most common cause of death is from a common infection.
    Alzheimer's patients become more and more susceptible to infections as they lose weight due to loss of appetite and lose strength due to loss of movement.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz4ItZHlTyd
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

It's truly heartbreaking. I worked in a nursing home for years and I witnessed the progression in many of the residents. It's almost like 3 stages happening. The first where they are still happy and kind of loopy but mostly coherent and capable, the second where they start to realize how serious it's becoming and her confused and angry. They lash out and can get violent and seriously depressed when they realize their memory is going. And the third where they're just in their own world. Sometimes reliving their childhood, not realizing they're old. Sometimes just floating through the day having moments of clarity, but otherwise just trying to function.

It's. The. Worst.

Thread Information