Thread: "How do you live with yourself" Mother's facebook posts to daughter's drug dealers

"How do you live with yourself" Mother's facebook posts to daughter's drug dealers

"To my daughter's drug dealer, this is how I spend my daughter's birthday now....how do you live with yourself??? That's all I wanna kno...I don't normally post pics like this but let's make this go viral so all the drug dealers see what they are doing to our families."

On Aug. 15, Tina Louden sat at her kitchen table in small-town Missouri, clutching the urn that held her daughter's ashes.

She caressed its smooth, pink surface, embossed with a golden rose and inscribed with her name, Ashley N. Shannon, followed by her dates of birth and death. It had been eight years since Ashley started using heroin and three years since it killed her.

On this day, a Monday, Ashley, a dark-haired mother of two, would have turned 28.

Moved by impulse, Louden grabbed her cellphone and snapped a grainy photo of her face resting on the urn's rim. Then she started typing.

"To my daughter's drug dealer," she wrote, "this is how I spend my daughter's birthday now."

" . . . how do you live with yourself???"

She posted it to Facebook. More than 250,000 people have clicked "share" in the week since.

That was exactly what Louden intended. Her message, brief and sharp, ended with a call to action: "I don't normally post pics like this but let's make this go viral so all the drug dealers see what they are doing to our families."

Louden's honest, raw confession is just the latest in a string of online posts and even death announcements that have dared to talk about topics long-held as taboos: addiction, drugs, mental illness.

For decades in obituaries, mourners were expected to fill in blanks. "Died suddenly" or "passed away at home" became code phrases for "overdose" or "suicide."

But a new wave of parents, like Louden, are harnessing the Internet to turn their children's deaths into something meaningful.

As Alexandra Rockey Fleming reported in The Washington Post this month, the conventional death notice is changing: "She will be best remembered for her free spirit, love of life, and the incredible strength she had while enduring so much pain that came from her struggles with addiction," said the death announcement for Kelsea Brandt of Forest Hill, Md., whose mother, Wendy Messner, has founded a group called Rage Against Addiction with the mission of making "rock bottom the foundation for a new life."

Louden's post, she told TV station KSDK, has inspired addicts and their families to message her. They say her photo moved them to get help.

"Maybe it would change somebody," Louden told KSDK. "We live through this pain, every birthday, every holiday, it's not the same. Part of our heart is gone."

Prescription pills came first for Ashley, before she moved to heroin. For five years, she struggled to get clean, KSDK reported, to be healthy for her two young daughters. But on July 4, 2013, Ashley overdosed. She was 24.

"I know Ashley took the drugs, but I still believe the dealer should be somewhat responsible," Louden told TV station KSDK. "They are selling this poison knowing that it could kill you."

It's all painfully timely. Overdoses are at a record high, with public health officials saying the nation is in "crisis."

Adjusting for population, the drug overdose mortality rate has risen by 425 percent since 1982, The Washington Post previously reported. Drug overdose deaths have outpaced fatalities from motor vehicle accidents and, in what one official called "a silver lining to what is absolutely a tragedy," there has been a grim increase in organ donation. In the past five years, organ donors who died of overdoses jumped by 50 percent, according to Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network data.

In 2014, an estimated 914,000 people aged 12 and older had reportedly used heroin, a 145 percent increase since 2007, according to the World Drug Report from the United Nations. The reason, according to the report, is simple: As law enforcement and the medical community crack down on prescription drug abuse, addicts are turning elsewhere for their next high. And in the United States right now, heroin is cheap.

Just last week, 26 people overdosed on heroin in a span of four hours in the small West Virginia city of Huntington, population 49,000. "An overdose outbreak of similar magnitude in New York City (population 8.4 million) would affect more than 4,400 people," according to a Washington Post analysis.

And more recently, officials have begun finding heroin supplies laced with a mixture of other dangerous opioids. One is Carfentanil, an animal tranquilizer strong enough to knock out an elephant.

Law enforcement can hardly keep up. Hospitals are overwhelmed. Families feel helpless. It's why parents like Louden have turned to one of the few things in their control - the Internet.

Although her town of De Soto, Mo., is small, Louden told KSDK she cannot know whether her daughter's drug dealer saw her grieving Facebook post. But, she said, maybe somebody's drug dealer did.

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/news/nation...#storylink=cpy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    That poor mother. The sad thing is the drug dealers really don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    That poor mother. The sad thing is the drug dealers really don't care.
    I think they figure if you don't buy the drugs from them, you will buy them from someone else.

We have billboards here with the Coroner and the Sheriff in the morgue, with a body on the table (covered) and big lettering that says "Report Your Local Drug Dealer". I don't know if they are working or not.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Fresh news, and 21 guests on this thread. Hi guys!!!

Drug dealers don't give a shit, they're not users, they're providers, enablers.

They want money. They don't give two shits about the people using. They should though, repeat customers are much better than trying to coerce new clientele to try your product.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Everyone needs to be responsible for their own actions, drug dealers are only half the story. The rest is up to each individual.

I'm glad to see that Tina was able to express herself and her reality on a large scale, however I doubt the drug dealers give 2 shits. I do think that it has reached a few parents of drug users who it might bring some reality to. Which could ultimately be a good thing, if it helps even one parent get their child help.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachxBunny View Post
    Everyone needs to be responsible for their own actions, drug dealers are only half the story. The rest is up to each individual.
    That's nice, dear.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Even if the drug dealers don't give a shit (and I agree that they don't), it's putting the subject out there and opening it up for discussion. It's also directing the anger the right way. The more parents and loved ones that do this, the better. Turning a blind eye has done nothing to help solve the problem. I commend her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

True - without demand, there'd be no supply, but this isn't the place to chick/egg - this is a rare example of a mother kicking some ass in a positive way after a horrible loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Even if the drug dealers don't give a shit (and I agree that they don't), it's putting the subject out there and opening it up for discussion. It's also directing the anger the right way. The more parents and loved ones that do this, the better. Turning a blind eye has done nothing to help solve the problem. I commend her.
    WORD
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

I would totally agree with you if it weren't for the fact that I have lived the majority of my life (since I was 10) with an older brother who is an addict. Though it is true a choice is made by the one who abuses narcotics, ETOH, etc., I honestly feel there are deep, underlying issues involved with most addicts out there...so it really is not as simple as leaving it up to an individual to decide what is right or wrong.

Duplicate.

It starts as a choice but then transforms into an addiction. Once it hits the level of addiction it becomes less of a rational choice and more of a need.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Oh, please don't misunderstand, anyone. I agree with what mom did. She reminded everyone that the contents of that urn is all that she has left of her daughter. That the daughter she loved, whose diapers she changed, tears she soothed, boo boos she cleaned up and kissed... now are reduced to nothing more than a clay urn and a few ounces of ash. I can't even imagine the pain and sorrow that comes with losing a child, and I've seen it happen in person...many times.

I applaud her courage for doing what she did, and for not keeping it inside. I wholeheartedly support her in her anger and sadness over what happened to her daughter. Anyone who has seen me post here knows that I would not be nearly so nice. Not nearly so. And if her post saves one person from meeting their fate via overdose, then she has done something even more important than publicly vilify the dealers - she has given those with a problem a new reason to kick the habit, and hope that they can keep away from the addiction that may one day have them ending up just like Ashley.

This mom is amazing for sharing her pain with the world. It takes a very strong person to share the most painful things in their lives - with the whole world. She is a badass, and I can only hope that, in addition to spurring any of the addicts who see it to get help, that it prompts her to start or continue to talk to a professional about her loss as well.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

I just saw on the news there were 20 overdoses in my city, just tonight. One dude overdosed in the car with his six year old, and couldn't be revived the kid was hysterical. God dammit, maybe the billboards aren't working

ETA: they saved everyone, including the dad.
    Last edited by Angiebla; 08-23-2016 at 07:08 PM.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I just saw on the news there were 20 overdoses in my city, just tonight. One dude overdosed in the car with his six year old, and couldn't be revived the kid was hysterical. God dammit, maybe the billboards aren't working

ETA: they saved everyone, including the dad.
    Oh my god. Thank goodness, but that POOR FUCKING CHILD JESUS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

Hard drugs seem to be so common these days, on a much wider spectrum. It is amazing to me how many people go from nothing to Heroin. Especially with all of the information out there in the media and oh yeah common sense. I don't know, It just seems so ridiculous to me. I grew up in the entertainment industry where drugs , hard drugs, were available at every turn and it never seemed like a good idea to me to do them. Back then PSA's were rare and there was no social media, and you didn't hear about overdoses on the news. Now all of these things are real and still people choose the drugs. No blame placing here, just an observation. I am very happy this mother did what she did and I wish more people would. I wish they would tell of the horror stories of drugs. Fuck the dealers, but maybe reality of this life shown to others (especially young people) will stop them before they start?! Maybe not.

As sad as it is, right along with cpr training, I would want to learn how to administer that shot that helps reverse overdoses.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    As sad as it is, right along with cpr training, I would want to learn how to administer that shot that helps reverse overdoses.
    Narcan. Its crazy, back East in my hometown it's as common a household item now as scissors are.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Right! Next, we go after the bartenders!
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Right! Next, we go after the bartenders!
    You stop that nonsense right now Ronald!

Thread Information