Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Khalid Jabara shot and killed by neighbor after family suffered years of abuse by rascist neighbor

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/court...add4178d6.html

Competency evaluation requested for man charged in fatal shooting of Khalid Jabara-Defense cites ‘symptoms of dementia’ in alleged ethnic-tinged murder of Tulsa man

A defense attorney for a man charged with fatally shooting his next-door neighbor after years of ethnic-based harassment against the neighbor and his family seeks a competency evaluation on claims that her client has shown symptoms of dementia.

Stanley Vernon Majors, 61, was set for a court appearance Wednesday to determine his preliminary hearing date, but on Tuesday Special Judge James Keeley scheduled a hearing for Nov. 30 to determine whether he should be evaluated.

Defense attorney Paula Alfred wrote in the application filed in Tulsa County District Court on Monday that Majors appears to have problems with long-term memory recollection, which interferes with his ability to assist in his defense.

“Medical records note that Mr. Majors may have symptoms of dementia,” Alfred said. “Mr. Majors is 61 years old and has a history of alcoholism which can precipitate dementia. Additionally, Mr. Majors’ paranoia prevents him from providing information potentially critical to his defense.”

Majors, charged with first-degree murder, is accused of shooting 37-year-old Khalid Jabara on Aug. 12 at the Jabara family’s home in the 9300 block of South 85th East Avenue. The slaying occurred a little less than a year after Majors was charged with severely injuring Jabara’s mother, Haifa Jabara, by hitting her with his vehicle while he was intoxicated.

He is also charged with possession of a firearm after a felony conviction, as he was convicted in 2009 for threatening “with intent to terrorize” in Los Angeles County, California.

Majors additionally faces misdemeanor counts of malicious intimidation or harassment, which is Oklahoma’s hate crime law, and threatening an act of violence related to a reported witness in the first-degree murder case.

Prosecutors allege that Majors threatened to harm Haifa Jabara and her family, including Khalid Jabara, “with specific intent to intimidate and harass because of race, color, religion, ancestry (or) national origin” from July 1, 2013, to Aug. 12.

Khalid Jabara’s Lebanese, Orthodox Christian family has said Majors called them “dirty Arabs,” “filthy Lebanese,” “Aye-rabs” and “Mooslems” for years.

Police say Majors threatened to shoot Justina Majed, a neighbor, after she saw Majors shoot Khalid Jabara, court records indicate. Majed told officers that she went to the Jabaras’ front porch after hearing gunshots and saw Khalid Jabara and Majors on the ground.

Haifa Jabara obtained a protective order against Majors in 2013, barring him from contacting her or attempting to do so for five years. He was arrested in September 2015 shortly after Haifa Jabara was injured by his vehicle and spent eight months in the Tulsa Jail before posting bond in May.

Majors’ jury trial in the case involving Haifa Jabara is set for March 27 before District Judge William LaFortune, who has also been assigned to preside over Majors’ murder trial if one is scheduled after his preliminary hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    He left an apology note? Ok he's crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    that's what makes him crazy? I thought it was the chips.

Not sure that's a good defence since it implies a good portion of the U.S population & it's incoming govt are all suffering dementia too.

The defence should just delay until after the inauguration so this arsehole can have the case against him withdrawn & replaced with a community service award ceremony

& I know people think we're all sick fucks here, but we're sick fucks with a conscience, so thankyou 99% of MDSers for being a tiny island of sanity in a sea of bigoted filth.

This is one of those situations where they need to put a bullet in this dude's head and not waste taxpayers' $$$.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    This is one of those situations where they need to put a bullet in this dude's head and not waste taxpayers' $$$.
    I think we're gonna be friends. Hell the fuck yes he needs to eat a bullet. Him, and every single other American piece of shit like him. Every single goddamn one.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Now go fuck yourself.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/court...aa399c556.html

Judge rules Stanley Majors indigent, competent to stand trial in killing of neighbor

A Tulsa County judge has ruled that a Tulsa man charged with murder and a hate crime in the shooting death of his neighbor is both indigent and competent to stand trial.

Stanley Vernon Majors, 62, was ordered to undergo a competency evaluation to determine his readiness to stand trial in the Aug. 12 death of Khalid Jabara at the south Tulsa home of Jabara’s family. Special Judge James Keeley received the report Wednesday and filed the order Thursday that states that Majors is competent to stand trial.

Chief Public Defender Rob Nigh and Assistant Public Defender Paula Alfred argued in a motion filed last month that Majors has dementia and has had issues assisting with his defense.

A defense motion filed this week seeks to seal the competency report because of the publicity the case has received. Nigh and Alfred wrote that local and national media outlets have reported on the case in depth and that “to expose Mr. Majors’ extensive mental health history would cause another explosion of highly inflammatory articles prejudicing Mr. Majors’ right to due process and a fair trial.”

Keeley also made a determination on Majors’ indigency status Thursday, ruling him eligible to receive services from the Tulsa County Public Defender’s Office.

Assistant District Attorney Erik Grayless had filed a motion Monday to have Majors’ indigent status re-evaluated, and on Wednesday the court received more detailed information about Majors’ assets.

The judge’s order states that Majors does not receive government disability benefits because he has been incarcerated for more than 30 days. He and his husband, Stephen Schmauss, have an interest in a California property that yields about $500 per month in income for Majors, his only identifiable source of available funds.

Keeley noted that the California residence is valued at about $120,000 but would have to be sold in order for Majors to have access to that money.

“Justice requires a speedy trial for all parties concerned,” Keeley said. “Substantial delays and detriment will occur if this court would delay proceedings by discharging the Tulsa County Public Defender’s Office from representing Mr. Majors.”

Nigh has previously told the Tulsa World that Schmauss, who is in bad physical health, doesn’t have the “ability or the willingness” to spend money on Majors.

http://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/...minary-hearing

Stanley Majors, man accused of killing Khalid Jabara, waives right to preliminary hearing

Attorneys for a Tulsa man facing first-degree murder and hate crime charges in the killing of his Lebanese neighbor say they will pursue an insanity defense.

Online court records show that lawyers for 63-year-old Stanley Vernon Majors waived his preliminary hearing Wednesday. They also filed notice that they intend to argue Majors was legally insane or mentally ill at the time 37-year-old Khalid Jabara was killed.

Oh damn. I completely missed the part about this drunk racist's partner being friends with Khalid??? How the hell did he stay with that man after he mowed down Khalid's mother & then continued to terrorise her & the entire family?? I'm fucking speechless O.o

Blighted Star, I'm literally just jumping in on this thread because I've wanted to ask you something for the longest time:
    What breed of creature is the animal scampering across the bottom of your posts?

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    one thing - people going over to the sister's page and actually putting the laughing emogi on posts about her brother need to take a good look at themselves in a mirror. disgusting pieces of shits. seriously.
    Online disinhibition effect

The online disinhibition effect is the reduction or abandonment of social restrictions and inhibitions found in normal face-to-face communication when using remote electronic communications. Many factors cause this disinhibition, including the appearance of dissociative anonymity, invisibility, asynchronicity, solipsistic introjection, dissociative imagination, and minimization of authority.

More at link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online...ibition_effect

Some of the people are affected by this effect, but a lot of Conservatives are just dicks, assholes, and monsters. They fanticize about watching brown people bleed out, and take joy in the suffering of others.

Don't you dare step on an American flag in their presence though. THAT GETS THEM SO ANGRY! HOW DARE YOU?!?!
    Last edited by Ron_NYC; 04-22-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

This sounds more like the murderer was profoundly psychologically disturbed (many mentally ill people exhibit racism as a trait) than just a cut and dry racist. The people luxuriating in this tragedy and mocking the victim, however, are total trash.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    This sounds more like the murderer was profoundly psychologically disturbed (many mentally ill people exhibit racism as a trait) than just a cut and dry racist. The people luxuriating in this tragedy and mocking the victim, however, are total trash.
    Agreed. I thought at first it was just a cut and dried exhibit of racism in that part of the country. As more details have emerged, it is obvious that there is much more going on and this guy is severely mentally ill. Sadly though, there is a part of the population here in the US now that wholeheartedly supports crap like this. It just breaks my heart and makes me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebelle View Post
    Blighted Star, I'm literally just jumping in on this thread because I've wanted to ask you something for the longest time:
    What breed of creature is the animal scampering across the bottom of your posts?
    He's a baby wombat, adults are much, much bigger

I don't want to mess up the thread so I'll pm you some stuff :)

(once my premie renewal gets fixed, I can't use pm's 'til then because all of my folders are MASSIVELY exceeding the non-premie limits)

Thx!

Long article, so I will just post the link.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local...440936596.html

Grief delayed: Tulsa family struggles to accept loss of man gunned down after years of harassment, ethnic slurs

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/06...-oklahoma.html

Attorneys rest in murder, hate case in Oklahoma

The jury hearing the case of an Oklahoma man charged with first-degree murder and a hate crime in the killing of his Lebanese neighbor was dismissed Tuesday after attorneys trying the 2016 case rested.

A judge sent jurors home for the day in the Stanley Majors trial, clearing the way for closing arguments on Wednesday, when the jury is also expected to get the case.
    Prosecutors said Majors, 63, was motivated by hatred and jealousy and bombarded Jabara and his family for years with racial epithets before the 2016 slaying. His taunts included calling the Jabaras Muslim when they are Christian.

Defense attorneys tried to show Majors was mentally ill at the time of the shooting. His lawyers on Monday brought a psychiatrist who testified that Majors was unable to fully understand or appreciate his actions when he shot Jabara.

Majors' attorneys also argued that he believed Jabara's family targeted him because he's gay.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/07/us/ok...ial/index.html

Oklahoma man found guilty of hate crime in his neighbor's death

An Oklahoma man who harassed and attacked members of a Lebanese family living next door was found guilty Wednesday of first-degree murder, a hate crime and other charges in connection with the 2016 slaying of Khalid Jabara.

In addition to murder, Stanley Vernon Majors, 63, was found guilty of malicious intimidation or harassment, a hate crime, and threatening an act of violence, both misdemeanors.

He was found guilty of another felony -- possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony -- during the jury's second set of deliberations.

A judge will formally sentence Majors on February 20.
    And this all goes back to the fucking judge giving letting him bond out AFTER this asshole ran over Khalid's mom with a car and put her in the hospital for weeks. If he hadn't been released on bond, he wouldn't have been home to murder Khalid. Fucking judge.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 02-07-2018 at 03:58 PM.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/20/us/ok...son/index.html

Oklahoma man sentenced to life in prison for killing neighbor in hate crime

Stanley Vernon Majors, the Oklahoma man who gunned down his Lebanese neighbor in what prosecutors said was a hate crime, has been sentenced to life in prison without parole.

A jury convicted Majors, 63, earlier this month on charges of first-degree murder, malicious intimidation and harassment, a hate crime. His sentence Tuesday was confirmed by Kim Thomas of the Tulsa County Clerk's Office.
    Attorneys said Majors feared the Jabaras, whom he thought were Muslims, would harm him because he is gay.

The Jabaras actually were Christians who fled civil war and religious persecution in Lebanon decades ago.

Assistant District Attorney Julie Doss issued this statement after the sentencing: "With their guilty verdict, the jury sent a message by recommending a sentence which gave the maximum prison and fine punishments allowable by law for each count. Today, the judge followed that recommendation and therefore the sentence Mr. Majors received was the harshest punishment available in this case for the vile, vicious and despicable crimes he committed."

Thread Information