Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Khalid Jabara shot and killed by neighbor after family suffered years of abuse by rascist neighbor

Khalid Jabara shot and killed by neighbor after family suffered years of abuse by rascist neighbor

This story makes me sick. He abused them for years, ran the mother over with a car, and was still let out on bail. They did everything right-they reported incidents and even had a restraining order...all for nothing. The son warned the mother that the neighbor had a gun, and they called the cops and reported he had it. The cops said they couldn't go inside and check, and ten minutes later he shot and killed the son.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/16/us/tul...rnd/index.html

Family: Son killed by neighbor who called him 'dirty Arab'

For years, the Jabara family says, their Tulsa neighbor terrorized them.
    He called them names -- "dirty Arabs," "filthy Lebanese," they said.

He hurled racial epithets at those who came to work on their lawns, they alleged.

He ran Haifa Jabara over with his car and went to court for it.

And it all came to a head last week when the man, Stanley Vernon Majors, walked up to the front steps of the family home and shot and killed Khalid Jabara, police said.

"The frustration that we continue to see anti-Muslim, anti-Arab, xenophobic rhetoric and hate speech has unfortunately led up to a tragedy like this," said the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Tense times
    These are tense times for Muslim-Americans -- and those perceived to be Muslims. (The Jabaras are Christians of Lebanese descent.)

Ever since the Paris attacks, carried out by extremists hiding behind religion, xenophobic bile has poured out. Then came San Bernardino, and after it anti-Muslim rhetoric from the Trump campaign, and a steady stream of hateful incidents came rolling in.

What makes the Jabara case stand out is authorities had several opportunities to intervene, but appeared to have bungled, the family believes.

"This is troubling at any time, but profoundly disturbing given the current climate of our country and the increase nationally in cases of hate crimes," the family said.

A long history of harassment

Khalid Jabara's parents immigrated to the United States in the early 1980s from Lebanon.

They settled in Tulsa and raised three children. One brother became a lawyer, the sister works in marketing, and Khalid Jabara ran the family catering business with his mother.

"He was hilarious, quirky, very intelligent, and really would give all of himself for anyone he loved," his brother wrote in a Facebook post.

The Jabara family moved into their current home 12 years ago. A few years later, Stanley Majors moved into the house next door.

The harassment and intimidation began almost immediately, they say.

"He'd call us names all the time. 'You dirty Arabs, get out of here,'" the mother, Haifa Jabara, told CNN.

"I had a guy who mowed our lawn, he's black. He'd scream, 'You N-word, get out of here."

Neighbors lodged several complaints with police against Majors over his behavior.

And in 2013, the family filed a protective order, which forbade Majors from having any contact with the Jabaras.
    It didn't make a difference.

"Every time I came outside at night, he'd scream and yell at me. Scared me to death," Jabara said.

Attack while awaiting trial

In 2015, Haifa Jabara says she was taking a walk in the neighborhood when Majors ran her over with his car.

"He came from the back and hit me hard," she said. "I fell on the floor, bloody, bleeding from my head. A lady was passing by, called 911 and rescued me," she said.

She spent weeks in the hospital with a broken shoulder, collapsed lung and fractured ribs, among other injuries.

Police charged Majors with felony assault. Initially, he was held in custody without bond. But three months ago, against the district attorney's wishes, a judge allowed his release until his trial in March 2017.

"My family lived in fear of this man and his hatred for years. Yet in May, not even one year after he ran over our mother and despite our repeated protests, he was released from jail with no conditions on his bond -- no ankle monitor, no drug/alcohol testing, nothing," the family said.

Majors was also charged with public intoxication. So, the family can't understand why a judge would release him without conditions.

"This family did everything they could do. They used every legal avenue they could to protect themselves," Rebecca Abou-Chedid, a family friend, told CNN.
    Majors' lawyer, Marvin Lizama, said the man had been in good spirits since his release.

"I don't know what happened last week that could have changed that," he told CNN.

"Never did I expect Mr. Majors to do something like this. This was unexpected and unfortunate."

Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler released a statement on Tuesday: "Majors presented an obvious public safety risk and we made that argument to the Court. The family did everything they were supposed to do and the system failed them. Once we receive the investigative reports from Tulsa police, we will review them for consideration of charges. Majors is presumed innocent under the law until a judge or jury determines otherwise."

Family begged for protection

The family feared the harassment would just escalate.

On Friday, the night of his slaying, Khalid Jabara called to tell his mother not to come home because Majors had a gun.

Officers arrived on scene but they couldn't go inside Major's home to check, so they left, said police spokeswoman Ashley Leland.

About 10 minutes later, Khalid Jabara was shot while he was on the phone with his mother.

"She heard what no one should ever have to hear," Abou-Chedid said.

Khalid Jabara died at the hospital.

After the shooting, officers found Majors hiding behind a tree at a library.

He has been arrested on suspicion of first-degree murder. And this time, he's being held without bail.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    He left an apology note? Ok he's crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    that's what makes him crazy? I thought it was the chips.

If a Mod can adjust my spelling error in the title I would appreciate it. TIA!

Here is a picture of Khalid Jabara and the piece of crap that shot him:

Not sure why the original story included a pic of the shooter, but they couldn't be bothered to include a pic of the victim.

Thanks Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    No words.

DISCLAIMER: The following quotes are not in reference to your loved one. They are quotes found to be funny in regard to much older cases.

Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post

Okay this is the part where I admit he's kind of pretty, or at least he would be if he hadn't killed his sister and smeared poo on her candy.

Is she scowling in every pic, or is that her unfortunate face?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Thanks Trump.
    Exactly my thoughts - lowest form of human takes out hard working man because... race? I think not. Thinly veiled jealousy, more like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

As an aunt to an arab-american niece & nephew and two african-american nephews, stories like this one make me worry about their futures. Lock up this old racist - he and his aryan brothers can't die off fast enough.

Thanks Trump.
    Yep, and it's only going to get worse. The lit the fire in those closet racists.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post

Not sure why the original story included a pic of the shooter, but they couldn't be bothered to include a pic of the victim.
    Thank you! This annoys the crap out of me. When my sister was mudered every article had pictures of the POS who killed her and NONE of them had a picture of her.
    I can be your *ADDICTION* if you wanna get hooked on something!!

Quote Originally Posted by maudlin View Post
    As an aunt to an arab-american niece & nephew and two african-american nephews, stories like this one make me worry about their futures. Lock up this old racist - he and his aryan brothers can't die off fast enough.
    I'm the whitest white girl you will ever meet, but my married last name is of Middle Eastern descent. My husband was born and raised in England, with all of his grandparents except his paternal grandfather being British. The paternal grandfather was of Middle Eastern descent. My husband looks Hispanic to most people. We are an average American couple, with no religion and no ties to anything Middle Eastern or Islamic, but I cannot tell you the harassment, discrimination, and grief we have had to put up with since 9/11. It changed the rules in all these fuckers' mind, and now they think they can do anything they want to anyone they even remotely deem to be Islamic.

I would worry for your nieces and nephews. I think it's only going to get worse. Discrimination against people deemed to be Islamic seems to be getting the green light more and more, even among people who wouldn't think about being discriminatory against different races. Islam equals terrorism to these in-breds, so if you are even remotely deemed to be connected to it (by someone who doesn't even know the difference between a Sikh, a Zoroastrism, or any other religion...or realize that people can be Christian or no religion from any part of the globe), it's ok for people to treat you badly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...sa-police-say/

?My family lived in fear of this man and his hatred for years,? Victoria Jabara Williams wrote. ?Yet in May, not even one year after he ran over our mother and despite our repeated protests, he was released from jail with no conditions on his bond ? no ankle monitor, no drug/alcohol testing, nothing.?

?This man was a known danger,? she continued. ?Our brother?s death could have been prevented.?

Police confirmed that Khalid Jabara had called 911 minutes before the shooting. Officers responded to a report of someone knocking on the Jabaras? windows but did not question Majors and left at 6:40 p.m. ? just eight minutes before the attack, Walker told The Post.

The sergeant acknowledged that the killing raised questions about how authorities handled the neighborhood feud.

?The Constitution allows for people to bond out,? Walker told The Post. ?That said, certainly, knowing what we know today, decisions would be made differently.?
    Those tensions exploded into bloodshed on Sept. 12 of last year, authorities say.

A woman was driving through a suburban stretch of southeast Tulsa that afternoon when she spotted running shoes in the road. In a pool of blood nearby lay Haifa Jabara.

Haifa had a ?severely broken left arm, a broken nose, and road rash all over her body,? according to a police report. Although Haifa said she had no recollection of the incident, her son, Khalid, said he could guess what happened.

?Khalid stated that his mother was not hit randomly while walking, and that she was in fact run over by Vernon Majors,? the officer wrote. ?When I asked how he came to this conclusion, he stated that he just knows. Khalid stated that his mother has a protective order against Majors and that they have been arguing back [and] forth for months. Khalid stated that Majors is always causing issues for his family and making negative comments about Muslim people.?

When police located Majors inside an apartment complex near the scene of the hit-and-run, ?he was extremely drunk and urinating, without the use of his hands, through his open pants,? according to an incident report.

?Is she ok? Haifa?? Majors said, according to the police report. ?I was out driving my car, drunk. I?m always drunk and you guys never stop me. And there was this rabbit, and Haifa jumped out in front of my car.?

?Majors went on to repeat this with variations including that he ?hit her? and ?I left because I was scared,'? the officer wrote in the report. Police found his car with its windshield shattered and ?what appeared to be blood or tissue stuck on it.?

Majors ?frequently calls in to complain about Ms. Jabara,? the officer added. ?On previous interactions Majors repeatedly referred to his neighbors, the Jabara family, as ?Aye-rabs? and ?Mooslems? (Arabs and Muslims).?

Questioned after the hit-and-run, ?Majors remarked that Mrs. Jabara and her family were filthy Lebanese and they throw gay people off roof tops,? another officer wrote.

Majors was charged with assault and battery with a deadly weapon, leaving the scene of a collision involving injury, violating a protective order and public intoxication, according to court records.

Despite the seriousness of the charges, and the fact that he lived right next to his alleged victim, Majors was released after posting $60,000 bond on May 25, 2016. He was awaiting trial on multiple charges relating to the hit-and-run when the shooting occurred last week, police said in a news release Monday night.

?This guy was fixated on the family for a long time,? Tulsa police Capt. Shellie Seibert told The Post. ?He used to call the police on them no matter what, if they stepped on his lawn or anything. He ran over the mother last year. He had pending charges. He was out on bond for that. He had some unusual fixation with them.?

On Friday, that ?fixation? returned with deadly force, according to authorities.

Khalid learned from another neighbor that Majors had somehow obtained a gun.

?My brother called the police to explain to them that we were scared because we heard he had a gun,? Victoria Jabara Williams wrote on Facebook. ?The police left, saying they could do nothing, and, 30 minutes later ? the criminal walked up to my brother and shot him on his front porch.?

In fact, officers left just eight minutes before neighbors reported hearing gunshots, Sgt. Walker said.

Khalid was on the phone with his family when he was killed, Abou-Chedid told The Post.

Walker said a cellphone was found on the Jabaras? front porch, along with three shell casings.

The neighbor on the other side of the Jabara residence heard gunshots and looked outside in time to see Majors shoot Khalid a final time, Walker said. Several other neighbors heard the gunshots and saw Majors ?circling? the wounded man.

When one neighbor screamed at Majors to leave, he pointed his gun at the neighbor before fleeing in his bare feet, leaving footprints in blood and then mud between the two houses, Walker told The Post. A large-caliber handgun was found near the location of the shooting.

Paramedics took Khalid to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Police, meanwhile, surrounded Majors?s house. They ordered him to surrender but received no response.

Finally, an officer spotted Majors hiding behind a tree behind the Jabara residence and arrested him. ?We did find a six-pack of beer pretty close to where we arrested him,? said Walker, adding that Majors was ?somewhat? intoxicated.

Majors was taken to the hospital after falling ill upon arrest, and will be formally charged with first-degree murder as soon as he is well enough to leave the hospital, police said in a news release. There are no other suspects, police said.

It was unclear Tuesday morning if Majors had a lawyer. His most recent attorney did not respond to a request for comment. Marvin Lizama, an attorney who has represented Majors in the past, said he was surprised by the arrest.

?I could not have expected Mr. Majors to do what he is accused of doing,? Lizama said in an email to The Post. ?My thoughts and prayers are for the grieving family who lost a beloved son.?

This time, Majors did not make any statements when he was arrested, instead invoking his right to an attorney, Walker said.

And this time, bail is unlikely.

That is little comfort to the Jabara family.

?We are outraged,? Victoria Jabara Williams wrote on Facebook. ?I want to shed light and bring awareness to the negligence that occurred from the first moment the neighbor ? this monster ? called our family ?Dirty Arabs?, to the time he ran over my mother with his car, to the two Protective Order violations, and our constant vigilance to communicate and be proactive with the DA?s, to the fact that they let him out of jail after 8 months.?

She said Majors should have been charged with a ?hate crime? in September and kept behind bars.

?He should not have been released without monitoring,? she wrote in another Facebook post. ?Yet he was released and put back next door to us, the family he assaulted just months before. This is troubling at any time, but profoundly disturbing given the current climate of our country and the increase nationally in cases of hate crimes.?

?While one cannot explain irrationality and evil, one thing I can explain is that indifference and inaction were major factors leading to Khalid?s death,? wrote his brother, Rami Jabara. ?As an attorney, I have seen the system fail defendants, but it also seems to fail the victims just as much or perhaps more. I feel like my family lost, my community lost. My brother lost. We all lost. I feel like we did everything we possibly could do [to] advocate for and protect ourselves.?

?We feel like this was absolutely avoidable,? added Khalid?s sister-in-law, Jenna Jabara, in an email to The Post. ?We all felt some measure of security while he was in custody. We are obviously working through so many emotions right now ? sadness, grief, anger, disbelief ? and we can?t help but see how this wouldn?t have happened had he been in custody.?

Abou-Chedid, the family friend, told The Post that the Jabaras were too distraught to speak Monday night.

?They are in shock, they are heartbroken and they are angry because there is nothing [more] they could have done to keep themselves safe, to keep their brother safe and to keep their mother safe,? she said. ?It?s one thing if this guy came out of nowhere and shot their brother. But this is a person who was in jail for running over their mother. And it just seems like a system that doesn?t protect a family from someone who was a known threat to them is a broken system.?

Abou-Chedid also suggested the current political climate could have played a role in the killing.

?After 9/11 you did not see the rhetoric that you see now. It?s gotten so much worse,? she said. ?If crazy people keep hearing that Mexicans are rapists and Arabs are terrorists, well then who are crazy people going to take their craziness out on??

The Jabara family is well known and loved in Tulsa, where they settled after moving to the United States in the early 1980s, according to Abou-Chedid. Haifa Jabara runs a popular Lebanese food catering business. Her husband, who was home during the attack, is ill.

this one really hurts my heart. that poor family.

RIP Khalid

Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers

one thing - people going over to the sister's page and actually putting the laughing emogi on posts about her brother need to take a good look at themselves in a mirror. disgusting pieces of shits. seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    one thing - people going over to the sister's page and actually putting the laughing emogi on posts about her brother need to take a good look at themselves in a mirror. disgusting pieces of shits. seriously.
    I haven't looked at the page, but that makes me sick. It also says a lot about the state of America, and it's people. We went to war with the Taliban because they were wanting people of a perceived religion killed, and wanted to persecute their own citizens and force them to adhere to the behavior the Taliban wants everyone to exhibit. How are today's "Christians" behaving any different from the Taliban?

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    The fuck? That's so messed up. I better not go there and check, because I will say something. I don't understand why people are harassing this family?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    The guy was a walking time bomb.

DISCLAIMER: The following quotes are not in reference to your loved one. They are quotes found to be funny in regard to much older cases.

Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post

Okay this is the part where I admit he's kind of pretty, or at least he would be if he hadn't killed his sister and smeared poo on her candy.

Is she scowling in every pic, or is that her unfortunate face?!?

The fuck? That's so messed up. I better not go there and check, because I will say something. I don't understand why people are harassing this family?
    Because people are fucking assholes. That's why. I'm going to develop a weapon of mass destruction that is a "Prick Seeking Missile" and deploy that shit across the entire Earth. Get rid of these people.

ETA: AND develop a "Prick Vaccine" so we don't produce anymore of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

Because people are fucking assholes. That's why. I'm going to develop a weapon of mass destruction that is a "Prick Seeking Missile" and deploy that shit across the entire Earth. Get rid of these people.

Yeah. A 'prick vaccine' on GoFundMe. Now that's something I would definitely contribute toward.

I wish I could get a prick vaccine, if it meant I didn't have to interact/see/deal with those fuckers, I would pay top dollar for that shit!

I guess I'm shocked people would be so blatantly hateful on a family member of a murdered persons fb page. I guess I shouldn't be though.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Khalid Jabara's parents immigrated to the United States in the early 1980s from Lebanon.
    They settled in Tulsa and raised three children. One brother became a lawyer, the sister works in marketing, and Khalid Jabara ran the family catering business with his mother.
    It's such a shame that all these immigrants come over here and just suck off welfare and bring down 'Murica. They are all threats to all of us, constantly.

http://ktul.com/news/local/hillary-c...ting-donations

Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton has issued a response to last week's murder of 30-year-old Khalid Jabara in south Tulsa.

Clinton, in a Facebook post, called the murder "an attack on all of us."

"Victoria, my heart breaks for you and your family over the loss of your brother Khalid," Clinton wrote. "An attack like this is an attack on all of us, and we must come together to ensure that no other family loses a beloved son or daughter because of prejudice and bigotry."

A fundraising website is now accepting donations to help cover medical expenses for Jabara's father for whom Jabara was a "constant caretaker." Any extra money raised will go to "advocacy groups focusing on victim's rights, Arab-American relations and interfaith collaboration," according to the fundraising site.
    https://www.launchgood.com/project/justice_for_khalid#/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/khalid-j...nese-neighbor/

Suspect charged with hate crime in murder of Lebanese neighbor

Prosecutors charged a Tulsa man on Tuesday with first-degree murder and a hate crime in the killing of his Lebanese neighbor - a culmination of what authorities said was the man’s violent feud with the family that spanned several years and included a regular barrage of racial insults and personal confrontations.

Stanley Majors, 61, was also charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm and threatening a violent act in the Aug. 12 fatal shooting of 37-year-old Khalid Jabara. The hate crime charge is a misdemeanor under Oklahoma law and accuses Majors of intimidating and harassing Jabara and his mother, Haifa Jabara, “because of race, color, religion, ancestry and national origin,” according to court papers filed Tuesday by prosecutors.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/khalid-j...nese-neighbor/

Suspect charged with hate crime in murder of Lebanese neighbor
    A hate crime is a misdemeanor? That's dumb. I think he should have been charged with a hate crime back when he hit the mother of the victim with his car.

This case is going to end up an episode of Fear Thy Neighbor

A hate crime is a misdemeanor? That's dumb. I think he should have been charged with a hate crime back when he hit the mother of the victim with his car.
    I thought the same thing, but remember, this is Oklahoma. Even having a "Hate Crime" Statute on the books probably took a lot of wrangling for that area.

I didn't read all of the article I posted, because I figured that it was just rehashing the same details after the first few paragraphs. I did scroll down later when I had more time, and I almost fell out of my chair. I wasn't expecting this:

Majors’ conflict with the Jabara family also put him at odds with his husband, Stephen Schmauss, who came to befriend Khalid and thought of him as an apprentice, teaching him how to use power tools and computer circuitry. Last week, Schmauss said his husband had killed his “best friend.”

Schmauss tried to explain Majors’ comments, saying his husband is “textbook bipolar” and a diabetic who refuses to take any medication. Schmauss said anything Majors said to the Jabara family was “done under the bipolar situation.”

Schmauss, who claims that his cellphone was shattered when Majors fired at least five rounds from a handgun inside the couple’s house the day Khalid Jabara was killed, said in an e-mail that he can’t attend his husband’s arraignment on Wednesday because he is undergoing radiation therapy for cancer.

“My cancer is so painful, requiring me to take strong pain pills that make me sleepy,” he said. “I will visit (Majors) on my feel good days in the future.”

“I am saddened and may never recover from this event,” he said.

Omg this is such a classic episode of FTN, it's not even funny. The crazy neighbor always has a rational, peacemaker spouse who reels them in when their crazy comes out. As soon as the rational one gets sick or dies the crazy one's crazy plateaus into a violent shitstorm.

Yeah, I'm going to bet he would flip the fuck out if anyone said anything about his homosexuality, but yet saw nothing wrong with going after someone because of their skin color and (erroneously) perceived religion. I am actually wondering though if he was jealous of the time his husband spent with Khalid?

Thread Information