Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Karina Vetrano (30) jogger found sexually assaulted and strangled to death

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    The plot thickens.....
    Yeah, this isn't sitting right with me. It's almost like (and by 'almost' I mean it's very much like) they saw a guy that fit the description of being black and nabbed him just so they'd have someone to pin this on. The fact that he had a "low IQ" was a jackpot to them because they could manipulate him. I'm not buying it.

I'm gonna go back and read more about this. I got stuck on the Lazarus page and got annoyed, but I'll power through it.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Yeah, this isn't sitting right with me. It's almost like (and by 'almost' I mean it's very much like) they saw a guy that fit the description of being black and nabbed him just so they'd have someone to pin this on. The fact that he had a "low IQ" was a jackpot to them because they could manipulate him. I'm not buying it.

I'm gonna go back and read more about this. I got stuck on the Lazarus page and got annoyed, but I'll power through it.
    "But if you didn't do anything wrong, just cooperate with the police and everything will be fine."

This is EXACTLY why people don't like the stop & frisk nonsense. So I'm supposed to let the police stop me for no reason, go through my pockets and property, then give them my name and address.

"They hate us for our freedom."

Oh, and funny coincidence, 100% of the people who support stop & frisk are people who will NEVER be stopped and frisked.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

She was bffs with my friends little sister. She stood as a bridesmaid in my friend?s sister?s wedding a week before she was killed

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by angelaiscaustic View Post
    She was bffs with my friends little sister. She stood as a bridesmaid in my friend?s sister?s wedding a week before she was killed
    Lor_MDS is apparently related. Small world?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by angelaiscaustic View Post
    Who do you think Karina was writing about on her blog? Different men? A certain man? Relationships in general?

https://abc7ny.com/karina-vetrano-mu...ueens/4574105/

Karina Vetrano murder trial begins with opening statements

Updated 2 hrs 20 mins ago
    NEW YORK (WABC) -- Opening statements began Monday in the trial of the man accused of killing Karina Vetrano, a woman who was out for a jog when she was brutally murdered in Queens.

Chanel Lewis, 20, is charged with first-degree murder and sexual abuse. He has pleaded not guilty.

Police say he strangled and sexually assaulted Vetrano along a running path in Howard Beach in August of 2016.

He was arrested six months later.

Police believe Lewis chose the 30- year-old victim at random.

"It was by happenchance that they met," Assistant District Attorney Brad Leventhal said in opening arguments. "She didn't provoke him. He sees her, and he kills her."

She had gone for a run but did not return, and her father Phil became concerned and went looking for her.

"Phil yells, 'Karina! Karina!'" Leventhal said. "He doesn't find her. He can't reach her. He's afraid."

As police joined the search, Vetrano's father and officer found her body in the weeds near the park not far from her home.

"They heard a loud bellowing scream, a wail," Leventhal said. "Phil Vetrano had found the missing girl...fell to his knees, hysterical. He cradled her. He lifted her."

Now, Vetrano's mother and a number of other family members must endure the painful and gruesome details.

Lewis was identified through DNA evidence, and investigators describe the evidence in this case as overwhelming. But Lewis' family and attorney believe his confession was coerced.

"There will be no eyewitness, no one will come into the court room and say he did it," defense attorney Jenny Cheung said. "They are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole."

She question the police interrogation of Lewis, which happened over a 10-hour period.

"Shortcuts were taken," Cheung said. "The government's evidence is incomplete."

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/11...defense-rests/

There were gasps in the courtroom as the defense suddenly rested Thursday after questioning just a single witness in the murder trial of Chanel Lewis.

Lewis’ attorney questioned the investigator for a few minutes, with prosecutors frequently objecting and most of their objections being sustained.

After a few minutes, Lewis’ defense rested.

To simplify matters for the jurors, prosecutors dropped nine counts against Lewis, almost all of which were essentially duplicative.

The jurors are off until Monday, at which point they are expected to start deliberations.

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/karina-ve...urder-mistrial

Trial of suspect in Karina Vetrano's murder ends in hung jury

Due to a hung jury, a judge has declared a mistrial in the man accused of raping and killing a young woman who was out for a run in Queens.

During deliberations, jurors asked to look at some evidence again, including Lewis' videotaped confession and read-backs of testimony by the prosecution's DNA expert.

In closing arguments Monday, assistant district attorneys described Lewis as a loner and "perpetually angry man" with no girlfriend and no job.

The defense argued that the DNA evidence is suspect.

The office of the Queens district attorney told Fox 5 that it will retry Lewis in January.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gger-case.html

Mystery letter from a 'law enforcement' source claiming 'jacked up white guys' killed Karina Vetrano and the 'NYPD withheld evidence', sparks chaos in trial, but police DENY they have the wrong guy

Chanel Lewis, 22, is on trial accused of raping and strangling 30-year-old Karina Vetrano as she ran on a park trail in Howard Beach, Queens, back in August 2016
    Defense attorneys say they received the anonymous letter claiming to be from a law enforcement source late Thursday after the jury went off for deliberations
    The letter alerted them to so-called exculpatory evidence about other potential suspects that they say was withheld from them
    It included a claim that NYPD officers had repeatedly said in the first two weeks of the investigation that they were 'looking for two jacked up white guys'
    An NYPD spokesperson, detective Sophia Mason, said the '11th-hour letter' was filled with 'falsehoods and inaccuracies'

Found guilty

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/01/n...l-verdict.html

Only 5 hours of deliberation

https://abc7ny.com/live-%7C-sentenci...urder/5265778/

Chanel Lewis was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison without the possibility of parole for murdering Karina Vetrano while she was jogging in Queens in 2016.

The sentence was handed down after impact statements from Vetrano's family members.

Thread Information