Thread: Fauna Jackson (16) cut, dyed hair to disappear at Wyoming national park

Fauna Jackson (16) cut, dyed hair to disappear at Wyoming national park

Missing teen changed appearance, fled from cops

Fauna Jackson, the 16-year-old girl from Cincinnati who went missing Thursday in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming was found Saturday morning, Groundwork USA officials have told The Enquirer.

Jackson was found about 8 a.m. MDT and was transported to a hospital for a welfare check, according to a news release from Grand Teton National Park.

However, officials noted Jackson changed her clothes from the last time she was seen, cut and dyed her hair and fled when approached by law enforcement Saturday. The incident remains under investigation.

"Teton Interagency Dispatch Center received a report of a possible sighting of Jackson Friday evening. Additional possible sightings of her and follow-up activities by park law enforcement rangers and officers with Teton County Sheriff's Saturday morning successfully located Jackson," officials said. "She was found near the Snake River Overlook, approximately 3 to 4 miles from the point she was last seen. An early morning flight by the Wyoming Civil Air Patrol contributed to finding Jackson."

Grand Teton National Park Superintendent David Vela said, "We are relieved and very grateful that Fauna has been found."

Multiple local agencies and the FBI contributed to the search and rescue operation.

The missing-person poster for Fauna Jackson
    The missing-person poster for Fauna Jackson (Photo: Provided/Grand Teton National Park)
    A massive search began Thursday after Fauna went missing while doing field service with Groundwork USA, a conservation service group, officials said.

Fauna, a 10th grader at Clark Montessori High School, had been last seen Thursday at 8:30 a.m. on the east side of U.S. Highway 89 near Triangle X Ranch wearing a white hat, tan pants and a green long-sleeve shirt bearing the name and branding of the organization that arranged for her trip, "Groundwork USA" and "Find Your Park."

In a press release Friday night, park officials announced the discovery of the hiking boot they confirmed belonged to Fauna.

"It is not believed she was wearing the boot when she went missing," investigators said in the release. "Any and all scenarios are being considered and investigated."

Fauna went missing while taking a break from trail work, park officials said.

After a crew of more than 60 searched Thursday ? followed by thermal imaging flights overnight ? the search party grew to about 115 people by Friday evening, according to an announcement on the park's Facebook page.

Search and rescue K-9s, helicopters, law enforcement rangers, naturalists and paramedics are all combing the area for the teen described as 5-feet, 6-inches tall, 120 pounds with blonde hair and brown eyes.

On Saturday, the search area was expanded to include areas outside Grand Teton National Park, officials said.

About 100 or so individuals searching for missing Cincinnati
    About 100 or so individuals searching for missing Cincinnati teen in Wyoming. (Photo: Provided/Grand Teton National Park Facebook page)
    After displaying "outstanding performance and leadership potential" during an eight-week youth employment program this summer with Groundwork Cincinnati/Mill Creek, Fauna was selected by Groundwork USA to join other youth leaders from around the country in Grand Teton National Park.

Robin Corathers, executive director of Groundwork Cincinnati/Mill Creek, said Fauna was selected along with two other Cincinnati "Green Team" youth to travel to the park over a nine-day period with Groundwork professional staff for an event, sponsored by the National Park Service, that includes outdoor experiences, team building, leadership activities and fieldwork.

Corathers issued a statement Friday morning saying the organization is "deeply concerned about the disappearance."

Groundwork Cincinnati/Mill Creek is nonprofit whose work centers around youth, environmental education, clean water, planting trees, building trails and engaging the public in river improvements, according to their website. The national organization, Groundwork USA, is based in Yonkers, New York.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with her and with her family in Cincinnati," Corathers wrote. "Groundwork Cincinnati and Fauna's parents are relying on the experts to bring her home."

Cincinnati Public Schools said in a release Friday that Fauna's family has requested privacy, and confirmed that she is a 10th-grade student at Clark Montessori High School.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Fauna and her family, and the Clark community, during this difficult time," the release said.

In addition to her involvement with Groundwork, Fauna was also a valued member of the Cincinnati Children's Choir.

"We are very concerned about Fauna," said Robyn Lana, founder and managing artistic director of the choir. "She has served in leadership roles and has always proven to be warm, reliable and caring for those around her."

The choir celebrated Fauna's achievements with Groundworks, "just as we see her passion for life and music come out in her beautifully expressive face as she performs with grace and artistry," Lana said in a statement Friday.

"All of us at the Cincinnati Children's Choir are praying for her safe return."

A vigil for Fauna was planned for Saturday by Clark Montessori High School at Ault Park, but was cancelled after it was announced the teen was found.

https://www.facebook.com/fauna.jackson
    https://m.facebook.com/fauna.jackson

She sounds like one of those "perfect" girls, but looks alittle haunted in some of her pix.

Wonder if something was happening at home to make her want to disappear or if she developed a relationship online that lured her away. She didn't get very far, and she's lucky nothing bad occurred to her while she was missing.

There is a thread for this somewhere already

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly-Jane View Post
    There is a thread for this somewhere already
    I don't think there is. I looked and looked for it, and if it exists I can't find it either.

I am glad a thread was started on this. I have been following it since she originally went missing. I am interested to see what comes out (if anything) about this.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I hope Fauna gets the help she needs.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I don't think there is. I looked and looked for it, and if it exists I can't find it either.

I am glad a thread was started on this. I have been following it since she originally went missing. I am interested to see what comes out (if anything) about this.
    Sorry your right, i am mistaken. 😉

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    I hope Fauna gets the help she needs.
    Help she needs? Under a prison cell.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Looks like they've placed her in protective custody (but not arrested)
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-national-park

What one of her friends said
    She just wanted to be free and they captured her like an animal lol ‪#‎faunajackson‬ ‪

Also, she posted a selfie in 2014 and people asked how she was. She told them she was having a bad reaction to some of her medication and she was in the hospital for awhile.
    I'm thinking some type of mental issue.

From some of her relatives
    I am so incredibly happy that Fauna has been found safe. Please do not let yourself be consumed in the whys or how could she's! We all have our own paths to walk, and will never be able to walk in someone else's, let us not try. Let us be eternally grateful that Fauna is safe and alive, I am
    Last edited by bermstalker; 08-08-2016 at 02:58 AM.

I read somewhete she was home schooled. Ill see if i can find it.
    Makes sense that she craved freedom.

Strike that im wrong AGAIN. Im staying out if this thread.

My first thought while reading the article was "Wow, something really weird and/or bad must be going on in that house for her to go to so much trouble trying to get away." I don't know her family or her for that matter, though, so it could just be mental issues spurred on by teenage type angst as far as I know. I hope she receives help and that everything turns out well for her and her family.

Thread Information