Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kali Bookey (14) charged with attempted murder of her brother's girlfriend.

Kali's grandparents wanted Kali released to their custody. They were going to make sure she went back to school. The judge said NO.
    http://www.leadertelegram.com/News/F...lt-div-gt.html

Right now they are fighting to move her case to juvie courts. Most say that will probably happen, but it usually takes months for a judge to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    [B]Kali's grandparents wanted Kali released to their custody. They were going to make sure she went back to school. [B]The judge said NO.

Right now they are fighting to move her case to juvie courts. Most say that will probably happen, but it usually takes months for a judge to decide.
    They are freaking insane

Quote Originally Posted by Killingtime View Post
    They are freaking insane
    I agree! What's to stop her from getting mad at them & grabbing a knife to deal w them!? Nothing. This girls got problems that need to be dealt w before she goes into anyones home.
    God bless 'em for caring though.
    What screws us up most in life,is the picture in our heads of how it's supposed to be..

This is insane. I get that's a minor, but she stated herself that he had urges to kill others, and that this would be the first of many if she wasn't caught. Even if it was just something said out of a twisted ego, WHO CARES, she's a risk, point blank period. And her elderly grandparents aren't exactly in the best position to be in control of this girl. I love that the grandparents even admitted that they didn't tell the school they wanted to enroll her in about her charges. Yea, good luck getting her enrolled anywhere if anyone got wind of exactly what went down. This girl is an idiot and just ensured she will have to grow up a hell of a lot faster than she realized. So young, so clueless, so crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    maybe when the check comes next time, just throw your dick on the table and be like "if you got the check, i got dessert"

HUDSON ? Fifteen-year-old Kali J. Bookey sat mostly quiet, occasionally dabbing her eyes with a tissue while listening to testimony Wednesday of how she reportedly tried to kill a girl in July.
    Then, shortly after St. Croix County Judge Eric Lundell ruled there was enough evidence to continue the attempted first-degree intentional homicide charge against her in adult court, Bookey broke down.
    ?My life is over for me,? Bookey said while heavily sobbing next to her defense attorneys, who will now argue to have her case reverted to juvenile court, where she faces less serious penalties.
    No date is set for that hearing.
    Wednesday?s preliminary hearing offered a bizarre account that was interpreted differently by defense and prosecuting attorneys.
    In the end, Lundell based his ruling on Bookey?s statements to police, which included comments about the victim?s afterlife and the use of ceramic shards to slash the victim?s neck.
    Bookey, being held in the Northwest Regional Juvenile Detention Center in Eau Claire, is accused of trying to kill her brother?s girlfriend during an early morning, ambush-style attack at the victim?s New Richmond residence.
    Assistant district attorneys Mike Nieskes and Alexis McKinley enlisted the testimony of three St. Croix County sheriff?s officers in suggesting Bookey?s attack was an orchestrated effort to separate the 15-year-old victim from Bookey?s brother.
    Nieskes said Bookey hid her appearance, practiced breathing exercises to prepare herself for the assault, punched the girl 20 to 30 times in the head, tried to suffocate her, wore gloves, kicked her twice in the head and stabbed her in the neck with shards that required more than 100 stitches to repair.
    ?It wasn?t until an hour into the attack, when the victim recognized who Bookey was, that she stopped,? Nieskes said, adding that the ?victim talked Kali out of killing her.?
    ?The only reason the victim is alive is because Kali chose to have her live,? countered defense attorney John Kucinski. ?If she wanted the girl dead, she could have done it. She didn?t do it because she never wanted to do it.?
    Kucinski said Bookey on several occastions left the room where the victim was seriously injured and could have gotten knives from the kitchen or found other ways to kill the girl.
    The defense says Bookey?s behavior was an adolescent attempt to scare the victim into leaving the area.
    Bookey?s father, Michael Bookey, 39, said his son started to disassociate with family members after starting a relationship with the victim, adding that the boy, in part, was involved with stitching his skin and made a suicide pact with the girl.
    Kucinski suggested Kali Bookey?s awareness of that disassociation triggered her plan.

According to testimony Wednesday:
    Bookey left her home about 4 a.m. on July 27, biking about 11 miles near the victim?s residence before eventually entering the trailer home around 6:20 a.m. In the living room, Bookey did breathing exercises ?to get herself ready for what she was about to do,? Lt. Cathy Borgschatz said.
    Wearing rubber gloves, Bookey jumped the sleeping girl, tried to suffocate and choke her, kicked her and repeatedly punched her in the head. During the struggle, plastic and ceramic pots were broken, with Bookey using the ceramic shards to slash the girl?s neck.
    After about an hour, the girl recognized Bookey, who had altered her appearance, said patrol Officer Mark Sommers. ?The victim said, ?Stop Kali. Stop.? And Kali got off of her.?
    The victim also told police that Bookey got the girl a drink of water but told her: ?Every time I get you a drink of water, I get to cut you.?
    Bookey got water and a blanket for the girl before having her text her boyfriend around 8:30 a.m. about the assault and then asked if she wanted to die immediately or ?bleed out.? She told the victim to ?have a nice afterlife? before leaving.
    Bookey, a straight-A student, called her father around 9 a.m., met him about 20 minutes later and fabricated a story to police about being assaulted by two masked men to explain her dried blood and bruises. Bookey said she told the ?assailants? of the victim?s address.
    Police found the victim ?crying for help? around 9:55 a.m. in the same bedroom where Bookey left her and initially gave a report similar to Bookey?s. Prosecutors said the victim out of fear agreed to the story of ?assailants? injuring them.
    Defense attorneys suggested possible lesser charges than attempted homicide and offered video and telephone testimony about adolescent brain development, suggesting Bookey could not have developed an adult-level intent to harm the girl.

The New Richmond teenager who faced an attempted homicide charge after a violent 2016 assault on another girl must serve time at a state facility until she’s 17 years old. Then she’ll begin a path toward reintegration with the community.

Terms of an agreement — calling for juvenile and criminal-level penalties — reached between prosecutors and attorneys for Kali Bookey were outlined Wednesday in open court, where St. Croix County Circuit Court Judge Eric Lundell dismissed the attempted homicide charge and two other felonies stemming from the incident.

Instead, Bookey, who was 14 years old at the time of the July 7, 2016, offense, will be placed in the serious juvenile offender program at the state’s secure Copper Lake School.

St. Croix County District Attorney Michael Nieskes later explained that incarceration at the facility is limited to three years.

The agreement allows for Bookey to be turned over to adult supervision once she turns 17, courtesy of an agreement both sides said was the result of extensive negotiations and compromise.

The agreement works out like this:

Bookey will be charged with two felonies in criminal court after she turns 17. Nieskes said prosecution will call for her to be placed on probation for eight years, effectively keeping her under Department of Corrections supervision until she’s 25.

The two felonies would be eligible for expungement if Bookey abides by terms of the agreement.

Public defense attorney Alex Andrea said he’s exceedingly confident Bookey won’t run afoul of the law again.

“She’s never going to reoffend,” he said after the hearing.

Of about 350 exams issued by one risk assessor, Andrea said Bookey came up with the lowest test results ever for reoffending.

“She won’t need the adult probation,” he added.

Nieskes acknowledged the thorny process toward the agreement.

“It’s a difficult situation,” he said. “You have two young people whose lives have been inevitably changed.”

A criminal complaint stated Bookey attacked her brother’s girlfriend after riding a bike more than 10 miles to the child’s house.

There, Bookey attacked the girl as she slept, eventually using shards from a ceramic bowl to hack at the girl’s throat during the two-hour episode.

Prosecutors said Bookey gave the girl the option to “die right now” or “bleed out” and left the scene by telling the victim to “have a nice afterlife.”

Bookey’s defense team argued early on that the attack was an attempt to scare the victim — not an attempt to kill her, as prosecutors charged.

Experts who testified at a hearing in February to determine if Bookey’s case should be moved to juvenile court said the act was an aberration for a girl who they said was far from the psychopath she purported to be during the attack. If anything, her tendency is to care — and obsess — too much, Dr. Michael Caldwell testified at the hearing.

“Her actions” that day, the psychologist said, “were very uncharacteristic.
    http://www.riverfallsjournal.com/new...l-consequences

?She?s never going to reoffend,? he said after the hearing.

Of about 350 exams issued by one risk assessor, Andrea said Bookey came up with the lowest test results ever for reoffending.

?She won?t need the adult probation,? he added.

I realize she was fourteen when this happened and I am all for rehabilitation but it sounds like that is not happening. It appears she is going to be put into the serious juvenile offender program and they aren't known for helping with mental health or preparing anyone for reintegration. So they think she won't ever do this or anything like this again and lock her up with other offenders that have probably done worse. If the defense attorney has his way there will be no probation or follow through. I understand she was only 14 at the time, but her act was premeditated. And let's us not forget her stating that she had had urges to kill and she basically acted on an urge to kill with this crime. I guess she will have to get out and actually kill someone?

I am so tired of hearing the words rehabilitation and reintegration when neither is actually done.

#1 wth kind of weird ass relationship did she have with her brother?
    #2 the fact that halle wanted her last name as Bookey on her tombstomb made me sad
    #3 um psychopaths dont usually know their psychopaths...the usually give a crazy ass reason like " i saw a face in my bag of cheetos and the cabbage told me to kill everyone to avenge a legless lizard". And i mean if youre going to stalk some one and ride your bike 11 miles, you might as well finish the job.

This case has a lot of similarities with the Slenderman incident, but in that case they're going to trial, being charged as adults, and possibly facing 60 years. Wonder if their prosecutor is tough and refusing to deal, or if their own lawyers aren't willing to consider a negotiation for anything other than juvenile charges.

This is crazy:

Probation ordered in teen attack case

On Wednesday a St. Croix county judge ordered that if Bookey successfully completes probation her criminal record will be expunged.
    https://www.wqow.com/news/crime/prob...b1d32ddb6.html

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Well, the guy on the other thread received ten years for strangling/murdering a woman in the 1980s, so this seems fair.

Thread Information