Thread: Joseph Joudah (18) was charged after his girlfriend Olivia McClellan (19) overdosed and he didn't seek help for 17 hours

Joseph Joudah (18) was charged after his girlfriend Olivia McClellan (19) overdosed and he didn't seek help for 17 hours

How nice of him to leave her to die. Boyfriend of the year. He could have made an anonymous call for help right when things started to go wrong (instead of waiting 17 hours).

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2016...p_for_17_hours

A Hofstra University student has been charged with manslaughter in connection with the heroin overdose death of his girlfriend, reports CBS New York.

Joseph Joudah, 19, of Islip Terrace, N.Y., was taking heroin with his 19-year-old girlfriend, Olivia McClellan, in her dorm room at the Long Island college on April 18, prosecutors said.

McClellan began to overdose and Joudah stayed with her for about three hours, according to prosecutors.

"She began to have a very adverse reaction -- eyes rolling back in her head, legs shaking, difficulty breathing," Acting District Attorney Madeline Singas said. "He stayed with her for a little bit -- patting her on the back, slapping her to revive her -- but never once calling 911."

About 17 hours later, Joudah placed an anonymous call to campus security and officials found McClellan's lifeless body in her dorm room, prosecutors said.

Joudah pleaded not guilty Friday to manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and other charges.

Bail was set at $10,000.

Joudah's lawyer said his client is distraught over the death and the injection was consensual. Both Joudah and his girlfriend bought the heroin together and both were addicts, his lawyer said.

It is the first time someone has been charged in Nassau with manslaughter for a heroin-injection death, Singas said.

Singas pointed out that New York has a "Good Samaritan Law," which provides legal protection for those who call 911 to help an overdose victim.

"If they are doing the right thing, and calling the police, and rendering assistance and making sure that help is on the way, the law takes that into consideration," Singas said. "This woman's life could've been saved."
    Last edited by Deviant Toaster; 07-23-2016 at 01:34 PM.

As of July 2016 He has pleaded guilty, but doesn't look like he will do time. I find this interesting all around since I've never seen a person actually charged when doing nothing as a person OD's in front of them. We see this all the time with people who leave because they don't want to get in trouble and let their friends or love ones die in the process.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...386626461.html

Defense attorney Kevin Keating says a judge and prosecutors agreed to sentence Joudah to five years of probation as a youthful offender.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/c...how-1.12035038

Joseph Joudah, 19, right, at the Nassau County Court in Mineola on Friday, Oct. 30, 2015. The Hofstra University student who authorities said injected his girlfriend Olivia McClellan, left, and himself with heroin before her April 2015 overdose death in a school dorm has pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide, court records show. (Credit: Howard Schnapp)

A former Hofstra University student who authorities say injected his girlfriend and himself with heroin before her overdose death has pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide.

Newsday reports 19-year-old Joseph Joudah entered the plea on Monday in the death of Olivia McClellan but he isn't likely to go to prison after an appeal for mercy from the victim's family.

Defense attorney Kevin Keating says a judge and prosecutors agreed to sentence Joudah to five years of probation as a youthful offender.

Prosecutors say Joudah was taking heroin with McClellan in her dorm room in April 2015. They say when McClellan began to overdose, Joudah left.

Prosecutors say he anonymously called campus security 17 hours later. Officials found McClellan's body in her dorm room.

"He stayed with her for a little bit -- patting her on the back, slapping her to revive her
    I've never been around someone ODing, but I don't see how that would help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

No kidding, she wasn't a baby that needed burping. I get that he was trying to comfort her, but given all that was going on and that he had just shot her up. oi vey

People do dumb shit in that situation. My brother oded once. There was 8-10 people in the room. Some froze, some tried to pick him up , move him and pulled him round, i have no idea what they thought they were doing. I was the only who called 000. One other guy helped me get everyone clear an area and get away from him so i could follow 000's instructions. He was amazing and in forever thankful.
    One girl in the room was a trained Nurse, initially i looked to her for instruction or to jump in. She froze, just stood there.
    I hate to sound arrogant, but if myself and that one other guy who helped were not there that night, my brother would of died in a room filled with "friends".

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Best thing you can do for an OD? CALL SOMEONE GODDAMNIT!!! Whether it's 911 or 000 or whatever it is in your location, fucking DO IT!

As someone who has treated many ODs over the years, it boggles my mind that people don't know what to do, or don't give a shit enough to just do it.

After you've called, then get down and make sure they're breathing!! If not, do it for them. Learn CPR. It isn't difficult, and the life you save could be someone very important to you. They'll even give you instructions when you call 911!

Once they ARE breathing, turn them on their side so they don't vomit and aspirate as you wait for help to arrive.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

I think if I was with somebody who did heroin, I'm not really sure I would know what an OD looks likes versus "just tripping" on heroin. AND if you add in that I was also on heroin....I'm sure I would be pretty f'ed up and not in my right mind.

I figured his reaction was probably be because he was also on drugs, it just made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant Toaster View Post
    No kidding, she wasn't a baby that needed burping.

idk...I've raised a few babies and I never slapped any of them to get them to burp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

Nothing whatsoever excuses this kids behavior... But I do hope that Narcan/Naloxone programs become a more common thing. With the escalation in heroin use and overdoses, I think it is something that should be available to everyone and anyone that may have reason to ever need to use it. All it took for me to get some is to read over a packet, sign a certificate saying I understood how to use it and I had a bag with two doses in it.

I know some police programs now include this as part of their regular training, but I don't think that will help in cases like this.

Glad to say I no longer have a need for this to be around me, as I wouldn't be near anyone that would possibly be OD'ing at this point in my life, but I do wish I had it the one time I saw my friend start to overdose in front of me. A good interim measure while waiting for actual medical intervention.

Also, not that it's an excuse AT ALL, because this one makes me truly angry, but I wonder if he was aware of the good Samaritan laws? Not all states have them, and some that do only cover the medical personnel that work on you. I know Connecticut actually has a quite good, comprehensive one, but not sure that is the case in all states.

https://www.verywell.com/do-all-stat...n-laws-1298836

Either way a terrible waste of a young life. RIP Olivia.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    maybe when the check comes next time, just throw your dick on the table and be like "if you got the check, i got dessert"

I agree about the Narcan/Naloxone. It is sad to see so many young people pass because of this drug. I have watched a couple documentaries on heroin lately and it is scary how rampant and common it is nowadays.

I wondered if he knew of the good Samaritan law as well, but even if not he still should have had the common sense to anonymously call right away rather than hours later.

I don't know if I'd know what an OD looked like, either, unless it looked like the one in Pulp Fiction. I don't have any experience being around heroin or heroin users. That being said, I really with this kid would have called 911. It sucks that a life ended so young and so unnecessarily.

But, he gave her the heroin and left when she started to OD, and being as young as he is he will feel guilt over this for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by aphaziak View Post
    Nothing whatsoever excuses this kids behavior...
    Well, I mean I'm not saying this guy doesnt have some blame in this but he was also under the influence of a lot of heroin, he was not necessarily in his right mind at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by aphaziak View Post
    Nothing whatsoever excuses this kids behavior... But I do hope that Narcan/Naloxone programs become a more common thing. With the escalation in heroin use and overdoses, I think it is something that should be available to everyone and anyone that may have reason to ever need to use it. All it took for me to get some is to read over a packet, sign a certificate saying I understood how to use it and I had a bag with two doses in it.

I know some police programs now include this as part of their regular training, but I don't think that will help in cases like this.

Glad to say I no longer have a need for this to be around me, as I wouldn't be near anyone that would possibly be OD'ing at this point in my life, but I do wish I had it the one time I saw my friend start to overdose in front of me. A good interim measure while waiting for actual medical intervention.

Also, not that it's an excuse AT ALL, because this one makes me truly angry, but I wonder if he was aware of the good Samaritan laws? Not all states have them, and some that do only cover the medical personnel that work on you. I know Connecticut actually has a quite good, comprehensive one, but not sure that is the case in all states.

https://www.verywell.com/do-all-stat...n-laws-1298836

Either way a terrible waste of a young life. RIP Olivia.
    In my town anyone can get Narcan without a prescription and a lot of people have it. Not sure if it's statewide but many police depts are trying to help, to the point of sending them to rehab and assigning a counselor to them for however long it takes them to get clean.
    We have about 4 opiate overdoses a week but a lot of it is Fentanyl as opposed to heroin.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfallsoon View Post
    In my town anyone can get Narcan without a prescription and a lot of people have it. Not sure if it's statewide but many police depts are trying to help, to the point of sending them to rehab and assigning a counselor to them for however long it takes them to get clean.
    We have about 4 opiate overdoses a week but a lot of it is Fentanyl as opposed to heroin.
    That is a crazy strong drug, that is way to easy to OD on. It is baffling how many people lately are taking up these types of drugs to fool around with. Even more baffling are the ones who think they can just use these drugs socially as if they were just smoking at a party. I know of two acquaintances that died this way earlier this year.

And now there are reports coming out about a derivative of fentanyl coming out, that is supposedly stronger:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-tranquilizer/

My best friend, who is unfortunately still stuck in that life, mentioned that to me just the other day, and I had no idea what it was, but yea...

I can't even imagine, honestly. Scares the shit out of me. I've had experience with fentanyl, and it can absolutely be life threateningly strong, no question. Imagining something even stronger being out in circulation is just... ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoMyGoddess! View Post
    maybe when the check comes next time, just throw your dick on the table and be like "if you got the check, i got dessert"

He kind of looks like Brian Peppers hansom brother.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Wow I suck at spelling.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

I was just talking to people about this earlier today. The local medical examiner tested the needles/syringe that people had used and they overdosed on. Apparently they found a drug called Carfentanil. It's supposedly used as a large exotic animal tranquilizer. I've never heard of it before.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Crazy! I wonder if these kids were aware of it being an animal tranq or if it was given to them instead of heroin. Though I can't see this being super easy to get a hold of and cheap. Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant Toaster View Post
    Crazy! I wonder if these kids were aware of it being an animal tranq or if it was given to them instead of heroin. Though I can't see this being super easy to get a hold of and cheap. Hmmm
    That's what I don't understand. Why are they adding stuff to their products? Is it to make the product more powerful or is it to stretch the product out?
    Some of the stuff they're mixing this stuff with makes no sense. Why? For example, you have fentanyl being used. I can't imagine Fentanyl is super easy to get. I bet it's pretty expensive on the black market.
    Wouldn't you make more money as a drug dealer if you sold heroin separately from fentanyl? It seems like mixing it together would make you lose money- plus you're losing your clients.....because they're dead.

They usually don't know fantanyl or any derivative of it is in the product. They just think it's really good dope, if they survive. Although I can't imagine that by now they wouldn't know.
    They shoot up the same amount as they usually do and it ends up being much stronger. The ppl I know who use don't really care what's in it anyway as long as it works.

What is carfentanil?
    The animal tranquilizer is at the heart of the latest U.S. drug epidemic.

JENN SAVEDGE
    August 25, 2016, 2:17 p.m.

Carfentanil is colorless, odorless, and lethal.
    An elephant tranquilizer is the latest player in the illegal drug war. According to law enforcement agencies, an extremely potent and largely unregulated medication called carfentanil is a new drug of choice for heroin dealers to use to increase the potency of the drug and to stretch their supply. But cutting heroin with carfentanil, a white powder, has extremely dangerous consequences for human health. Drug enforcement officials think the practice is responsible for the latest string of heroin overdoses and deaths across the country.

According to the Drug Enforcement Administration, carfentanil is an analogue of fentanyl, meaning that it has a similar chemical structure to the powerful prescription painkiller best known for its role in the death of pop icon Prince. Both carfentanil and fentanyl are Schedule II drugs, which means they are recognized as having a high potential for abuse.

According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, carfentanil is 10,000 times stronger than morphine. That's why it's frequently used by animal handlers to tranquilizers large animals, such as elephants. And it's taken very seriously. Dr. Rob Hilsenroth, executive director of the American Association of Zoo Veterinarians, recently told the National Post that most vets use "just a little bit short of a hazmat suit" to handle the drug when it's being prepared as a sedative for animals.

Like fentanyl, carfentanil can be absorbed through the skin or inhaled, and contact with even a small grain could be enough to require medical attention in humans.

But carfentanil is even more potent, and therefore even more dangerous, than fentanyl. Over the last few months, law enforcement officials have seen heroin overdose cases skyrocket, and they believe carfentanil is to blame. In just the last few weeks, law enforcement officials in Indiana, Florida, West Virginia and Ohio have responded to a surge in heroin overdose cases in which they suspect carfentanil is involved, reports CNN.

Like fentanyl, carfentanil is colorless and odorless, making it impossible for emergency responders to know if a patient has ingested it. And of course, the victims have no idea either. (It's not as if heroin comes labeled with the other drugs used to cut it.)

When a heroin overdose is suspected, rescue personnel are trained to use a medication called naloxone to counteract the drug. When straight heroin is involved, patients usually respond to treatment with a single dose of naloxone. But when heroin laced with carfentanil is involved, multiple doses of naloxone often are required, reports the Washington Post. And even then, they may not always be effective.

I oded on Heroin once. My "friends" put me in my car, drove it down the street and left me in an empty parking lot.
    They did call 911, I woke up to them starting my heart.
    Same "friends" also took the time to take my money, drugs, and cell phone before ditching me.
    Heroin is awful. Even states with the good Samaritan law still have idiots that don't call to get help for friends.
    I have been clean over two years, but the whole heroin epidemic is just so tragic.

Glad you ate okay now. Many others are ditched and don't survive.

Glad your in your recovery. Two years is amazing.

Thread Information